Why has Foltest so few charges?

+
Even though NR was reworked and Foltest was buffed he is still far too weak. If we compare him to other leaders with a limited amount of charges, it is obvious why is so bad.
-Foltest: 3 charges
-Detlaff: also only 3 charges and is bad too
-KoB: 3 charges and a passive
-Arachas Queen: 3 charges and a passive
-Hemmelfahrt: 3 charges and a depleted effect
-Morvan: 3 charges and a depleted effect
-Eithne: 4 charges and a lot more provisions
-Eldain: 4 charges
-Svalblod: even 5 charges and a depleted effect
-Dijkrsta: also 5 charges and a way to fill them up again

So, I think it would only be fair to adjust Foltest a bit to those other leaders, by either increasing his charges by 2 or giving him an additional effect, which I would prefer:

1. Charge fill up:
I really like the idea of a way to fill charges back similar to Dijkstra and as the soldier archetype has become a lot more pronounced after the rework, I think giving Foltest a charge back, whenever a soldier is played would be really fitting.
2. Depleted effect:
Another idea would be to give him a effect that appears when all charges have been used. I think something similar to Svalblod would be good, which creates a bear. Foltest should instead create a copy of the last played bronze soldier.

What do you think about those idea? Are they enough to make Foltest balanced?

Even though NR was reworked and Foltest was buffed he is still far too weak.
What do you think about those idea? Are they enough to make Foltest balanced?

Foltest didn't need a buff to begin with. Now, he is top tier and you want to buff him even more? Yeah, I think you will not find much support there. Foltest being able to trigger any order card instantly (and buff it) is huge, not only for a consistent Draug army but also for potential massive swing with cards like Regis: HV and duel cards (which receive up to 3 more points because of the buff).

Also, your comparison with the other leaders is flawed. To begin with, you didn't evaluate how much a charge is worth per leader (relative to his/her provisions); having no baseline for comparison. And even then, a leader is usually meant to support the underlining archetype. So, you cannot compare leaders in a vacuum. For example, Eithne's charges are pretty useless when not being used to align Scorch or assist to kill an engine.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
In my experience Foltest is super strong now. If you make good use of his charges, he is difficult to beat by most other leaders, the result is the same few decks over and over again, because many gamers want to be prepared to fighting Foltest (and Dijkstra). IMO he is unbalanced but the other way around than you think. Well ... not Foltest himself but the combos you can do with him.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Strange, if i didnt know the OP is a regular in these forums and makes reasonable posts i would assume this was a troll thread. Or if it was beginner (which is not the case), maybe he wouldnt know Foltest's charges dont just boost, they give Zeal which is incredibly valuable.

Foltest is OP now because of the Blue Stripes deck, but before that he was used with powerful Order cards like Gaunter, Ocvist, Seltkirk,... All of which are still perfectly viable.

I believe Foltest's buff was completely unnecessary, he wasnt bad, he just wasnt being played very much compared to Henselt, so the devs decided to change that, and now the scales are (un)balanced to the other side.

Strange, if i didnt know the OP is a regular in these forums and makes reasonable posts i would assume this was a troll thread. Or if it was beginner (which is not the case), maybe he wouldnt know Foltest's charges dont just boost, they give Zeal which is incredibly valuable.
Maybe I just wanted to see hell break loose xD
I didn't expect anyone to take such a nonesensical argumentation serious. In particular as my buff "suggestions" are more than just broken.

I honestly don't get why Foltest was buffed. I'd rather expected a total rework, due to him limiting design space far too much.
efore that he was used with powerful Order cards like Gaunter, Ocvist, Seltkirk,... All of which are still perfectly viable.
But only with Foltest. Ocvist is the only one of those really seeing play outside a Foltest deck. And as long as Foltest exists Gaunter won't ever be able to viable without him, which is a shame.

I believe Foltest's buff was completely unnecessary, he wasnt bad, he just wasnt being played very much compared to Henselt, so the devs decided to change that, and now the scales are (un)balanced to the other side.
To give this thread a more serious side, I wonder if limiting Foltest only to bronze cards would make him more balanced or if the BSC combo would still be enough to make him too strong.

Top Bottom