Naming v

+

Are you using your own name or a different one?

• Im using my name because v is our avatar

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Using a different name

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters
There's been quite a bit of debate surrounding whether or not we'll actually be able to give our V a name, even if it's not used by anyone outside of text-only interactions (Emails, documents, etc.).

I believe CDPR's Lilayah said "no" at one point, so this question may be moot.

Regardless, I'd probably use a different name other than my real one. One, for privacy reasons, two, because I don't consider role playing games a chance to role play as myself, but as another character with a backstory/personality I've created in my head.

Hey,
I like the name V.
It's creative for the purpose of the game - I mean; in relation to the character builder, roleplaying, dubbing,...
It's also pretty much neutral, yet interesting in terms of naming something.

At first I thought that the character creation screen allowed for this, but it might have just been for the aesthetics of the screen. The 2018 footage showed name fields with 'missing data' and edit details at the bottom. This might just be for looks and not actually functional. We don't know
Character_Sheet_-_Cyberpunk_2077.jpg

At first I thought that the character creation screen allowed for this, but it might have just been for the aesthetics of the screen. The 2018 footage showed name fields with 'missing data' and edit details at the bottom. This might just be for looks and not actually functional. We don't knowView attachment 11012182
Yes, I've long pushed for the idea that the "Edit Details" button lets us customize some of that stuff, but it could indeed have just been for aesthetics. It's very tough to say, especially since this interface was such an early version.

Its already confirmed that we can give v a real name
There's been quite a bit of debate surrounding whether or not we'll actually be able to give our V a name, even if it's not used by anyone outside of text-only interactions (Emails, documents, etc.).

I believe CDPR's Lilayah said "no" at one point, so this question may be moot.

Regardless, I'd probably use a different name other than my real one. One, for privacy reasons, two, because I don't consider role playing games a chance to role play as myself, but as another character with a backstory/personality I've created in my head.
Post automatically merged:

https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.pol...ameplay-release-date-pc-xbox-one-ps4-next-gen.
In Cyberpunk 2077, players will take on the role of a character nicknamed V. It’s not a stock avatar as in the Witcher games. Instead, players will have complete control over their gender and appearance. The team told Polygon that you’ll be able to give your version of V a proper first and last name.

Last edited:
They'll probably do it the Bioware way: they might make it possible to specify a proper name for the PC but the NPCs would still call them by their alias, V.

At any rate, I like how V sounds so I haven't thought of a name for them yet. I still haven't decided if I'll pick male or female V (a harder choice now that they got a new actor for male V with a voice more of my liking than the previous one.)

And I'm definitively not gonna roleplay as myself, I'm one of the most unremarkable people I know in my life :LOL:

https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.pol...ameplay-release-date-pc-xbox-one-ps4-next-gen.
In Cyberpunk 2077, players will take on the role of a character nicknamed V. It’s not a stock avatar as in the Witcher games. Instead, players will have complete control over their gender and appearance. The team told Polygon that you’ll be able to give your version of V a proper first and last name.
Wow. That's really really big news.

EDIT: Nevermind, this came from 2018. Maybe they changed their minds.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, so did Lilayah's comment -- also from 2018, and only a little while after that article.

I'm going to go with "yes" until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
They'll probably do it the Bioware way: they might make it possible to specify a proper name for the PC but the NPCs would still call them by their alias, V.

At any rate, I like how V sounds so I haven't thought of a name for them yet. I still haven't decided if I'll pick male or female V (a harder choice now that they got a new actor for male V with a voice more of my liking than the previous one.)
Yeah its more the shepard route and v is your code name.Everyone has a code name in cyberpunk because it’s a dangerous place and therefore you have to stay anonymous

She means you can’t rename v the letter.People wanted to change the alias too
Yes, that's what I think, but it's a topic of much debate. People get very upset if you imply what you just implied, even if it's a fairly logical conclusion.

Meh, info from a year ago, subject to change of course. Just like the character creation screen I posted. They've said things during that time that they've went back on so I'd take anything not said in the last 3 months with a grain of salt. "Confirmed" doesn't mean anything in the dev world. Until the game goes gold, nothing is really "confirmed"

*cough multiple apartments cough*

Yes, that's what I think, but it's a topic of much debate. People get very upset if you imply what you just implied, even if it's a fairly logical conclusion.
This is a thing what is already confirmed i would say and it’s an essential part for a character creator.The apartment thing is a different story but it would have been awesome to have more apartments

This is a thing what is already confirmed i would say and it’s an essential part for a character creator.The apartment thing is a different story but it would have been awesome to have more apartments
It's already been stated that the character creation screen we originally saw is completely gone. It's totally new. Childhood Hero was removed. So again, don't hold anything as "confirmed" that you haven't seen or heard about recently. Being able to give V a "real name" isn't essential as they've already stated everyone is going to call them V anyway

Yeah, I agree with you, but we'll see.

It's already been stated that the character creation screen we originally saw is completely gone. It's totally new. Childhood Hero was removed. So again, don't hold anything as "confirmed" that you haven't seen or heard about recently. Being able to give V a "real name" isn't essential as they've already stated everyone is going to call them V anyway

No, not essential, but the standard in RPG games for many, many years now. You create a name for your character, and it's typically referred to in text, documents, emails, etc. It's a nice immersive touch that makes you feel like an actual human and not just an avatar. It doesn't take much effort, either.

If CDPR wants to buck that trend, fine. But I won't celebrate it, because I think it's the wrong call.

Keep in mind 'V' is a "street"/"edgerunner" handle not a "name".

Think of any movie involving fighter pilots, they go by their "callsign" not their name.

Assuming there's an ability to add a personal bio to 'V' you can name them anything you want, but on the streets they're still 'V'.

Oh sure it’s essential even if you get called by your nickname.I think they improved everything and tweaked a few things because of too much complexity in the story but naming your character stays

Top Bottom