Gamescom 2019 Forum Q&A!

+
Hey chombattas!

I will be attending Gamescom once again this year and with the ocassion, as it has become customary by now, I'll be hitting up the CDPR team for a little candid chat about the game and hopefully get some juicy info that the community craves.

So let me know what you would like to know!

Some ground rules before we proceed:
1. Don't be afraid to get technical or super niche with your questions, that is the point of this endeavour - to get answers to questions that do not usually get asked in your typical interview.
2. Please give the thread a read before asking your question in order to avoid duplicates.
3. If you see a question you like or were thinking of asking, give it a thumbs up!
4. And obviously, let's try and keep it clean, wouldn't want Sard to come in with the cyber-flamethrower.

So without further ado. Get askin', punks!

ANSWERED QUESTIONS EDITED IN:

Hey choombas! I'm back with some As to your Qs.

A bit of a disclaimer before you dive in - video and audio quality got messed up so as a result there is no video and audio is a bit subpar. Guess I'll have to invest in better tech next time I visit the ripperdoc...

The interview is with Miles Tost, Senior Level Designer. I started off with Level Design questions and then tried to answer some gameplay related stuff later on. Apologies if your question did not get asked or if the gameplay answers are not what you expected, hopefully we can set up a gameplay related Q&A later down the road. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, here's the stuff:

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hiya Kinley,
- do we know anything about system requirements? There's a fear that older rigs won't be able to run the game.
- any more intel on the RPG side? There was a talk that it'll be more a shooter and less an RPG and we will be pigeonholed to choices
- to the previous point, will the skills we have affect dialogue a la New Vegas?
- Will the morality be like in Dishonored, where you got every tool for murder but had to go stealth for good ending?

How do smart guns work as of now, specifically? What skills and stats of the character affect them and how?

How much do the different skilltrees (solo, techie, netrunner) vary from eachoter? Or, how many skills are there in total and how many of them are not related to combat?

What magnitude of impact do gun skills have on accuracy? Usually these sorts of games leave it nigh neglicable and as such, almost meaningless, so are there measures taken that progression in those skills is felt by the player? Or, to put it more simply: Can the character actually be a bad shot inspite the player being a good twitch FPS player?

How much "fun" can a mechanics savvy RPG player get out from the game in terms of RPG mechanics and their impact on how the game flows in comparison to "easy-going" story-shooter one?

Thanks as usual, Kinley!

Listed in order of priority.
  • What are Street Stories in relation to side quests and main missions?
  • Is there levelled and level-restricted loot in the game, like there was in The Witcher 3? I didn't see any level requirement numbers in the 2018 demo.
  • Is there a Assassin's Creed Odyssey-like cosmetic overlay feature, letting players have the appearance of one piece of gear but the stats of another?
  • Can you share any more information about the Techie playstyle? Like Solo or Netrunner, is it viable as a standalone playstyle, or is it more supplementary in nature?
  • What sort of things can you craft, and how does the crafting system work in general?
  • Are there any leisure activities aside from boxing, street racing, hacking, and shooting galleries? I.E. Can you sit at a bar and have a drink?
  • We know much of the map's size comes from verticality, but will it be a decent size horizontally, too? How many Novigrads could you fit into the playable space?
  • Are there full-body third person animations, visible while walking by a mirror?

You said don’t be afraid to get super niche so here it goes. All I want to know is if we can wear high heels and if so is there a large variety of them. I understand if you don’t use my question since it’s really out of left field but that’s what I want to know

Do gun skills effect ONLY accuracy/reload times or damage output as well?

We know parts of the Techie and Netrunner skill trees are alternate methods of achieving the same result (i.e. opening a door), of the skills in each tree, how many are unique to that tree? (( NOT asking what they are/do, just a number. ))

I'm intentionally breaking the rules here.
How do smart guns work as of now, specifically? What skills and stats of the character affect them and how?
This information is vital to us non-FPS types. (( Which will be a sizable percentage of players. ))

Are there skills (based on character stats) in addition to perks (abilities you gain by whatever method) or are the terms interchangeable in-so-far as the game is concerned?

We recently learned there is a pause function (but you can't use it to swap weapons in/out of inventory during combat), we're assuming you CAN use it to select a skill to use from those you have available, correct? Separately, can you use 'pause' to swap to/from a weapon in your "ready" list? (( Four weapons last I heard. ))

Last edited:
Since some of you already asked pretty good and important questions (especially those related to skills, the map and the techie class) I'll go with kind of a weirdly specific one:

How many vehicle models, melee weapons, guns, craftable gadgets, and radio music tracks will the game have on release?

Doesn't need to be exact numbers but any approximation is fine (e.g. around 10 bikes, 30 ground cars, 50 radio tracks, etc.) And it's fine if they don't have a clear answer for it, I know it's still too soon for that.

Thank you in advance :ok:

Im only interested in how the sales are going, but it looks like they are doing solid job at it. I kinda trust in CDPR they deliver good game.

Can you still see V`s feet / chest when looking down ?

Sept 5/18 Kyle Rowley: "You can see your feet (And body) but we don't allow prone atm. "
Post automatically merged:

Will we see the CC in the new demo ?

-Can we drive a pick up truck or semi? Only cars and motorcycles have been mentioned so far and I'm hoping that isn't all we are limited to.

That's all I've got that hasn't been asked or answered already.

that is the point of this endeavour - to get answers to questions that do not usually get asked in your typical interview.
This I like. You have a youtube channel, I guess? I could drop a couple of likes/subscribe.

-are bullet sponges artificially in the game to gate progression (think looter shooters or TW3)? I.E. you shoot with a bazooka to an enemy who is 10 levels higher than you: he's dead or not even a scratch?

- is the skill/perk/progression system strictly bound to passive boosts (I.E. +X% DMG to guns)? Is there any lore/narrative justification for this (bullets are not faster if you push the trigger stronger)?

- are there any chance to see contextual animations added post release (picking items up, interacting with key-pads) to maximize the immersion? If not, why?

- have you considered using more appropriate descriptors for loot than epic/legendary for a cyberpunk setting? Something like military grade, prototype and alike? Devil is in the details.

Thanks in any case, if you manage to get answers or not. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this, Kinley!
  • What is the max level for the release version next year and will there be a soft or hard cap implemented?
  • Will the Jackets be the only defensive gear we have available?
  • Will the spiderbot play any significant role to your party in terms of gameplay?
  • Will be there be traditional Saves, as well as a Quickload/save feature? Or will it all be autosaves?

Hey,
  • how POI/world exploration are/is implemented. Are there "?" on the map, similarly to Witcher 3?
  • What are the mechanics of the world feeling alive? Are there scheduled actionpoints(=timetables) for NPCs? How do the crowds work? Is there something new (there was this grant granted to CDPR to research this)? "How does the city live"?
Thanks and enjoy Gamescom :)

Btw, how many public gameplays will there be until the release?
There is something to be revealed at Gamescom; and also at Pax West?
That means two gameplays? Or some more?

We've seen a lot in terms of gun combat, but how will melee combat work? Can we parry/block? Dodge? Are their various types of base attacks (like strong & fast in TW3)?

How can skills / perk effect combat abilities? Are certain abilities dependent on progressing appropriate skills/perks.

How on earth are ya'll gonna map a full melee and ranged combat system onto a controller? Sounds like a lot of work.

Top Bottom