Any of the original beta players still playing Gwent?

+

Guest 4305932

There, I put the whole conversation so you can understand where I came from. There are many card games and what matters is how you play it.

So far I see that "my" cards were changed drastically, and so did the gameplay and the visuals. It may be fine for you, but man, this is not the product I bought.

But you haven’t bought the whole product. You haven’t bought Gwent, you bought cards. You bought an immediate boost to your collection.

I don't play games, especially 1v1 games, if there is no real meaning behind the wins and loses.
I can't enjoy a pointless activity. Even though the chance was very small that you would make it to top 6 and qualify for the Open, it was there and winning meant you were closer to that goal.
I'll start again maybe if they bring back tournaments but until then I'm playing another CCG which offers such incentives.
I like Gwent but without the competitive aspect it's just dull and boring.

I am mostly wandering without actual interest. This Bronzes patch can be really crucial for me.

Open Beta player here. Still playing but I am struggling.

In this month I did both seasonal trees (started with 10 point rewards) but I didn't want to force myself to play in Gwent so I wasn't playing like every day. I was winning 18 rounds in those days that I have played but it was more like "I just want to do both seasonal trees" than actually having fun. So few days ago I finished them and I have no motivation to launch Gwent (rank 5, few wins from rank 4).

I was thinking that I will play a lot more when 50/40/30% buff weekend will come but I haven't played a single game since then. I have a lot more fun with other games right now and I don't want to force myself to play Gwent just to use this buff and level up some prestige.

In my opinion CDPR is very committed to Cyberpunk. I don't have this feeling when it comes to Gwent. The amount of bugs in every patch and then fixing time isn't something that I would expect from that big company. Every single previous faction war was filled with bugs. I am happy that finally we got faction wars without bugs in this month.

Since March until July we had literally zero information about Gwent's e-sports. Now we know about next challenger but we still don't have information about World Masters and 2nd season of Gwent Masters. Because of that many of the top players don't play the game. They have no reason to play Gwent because of this crown points break (e.g. Freddy streaming Dota Underlords instead Gwent AFTER EXPANSION). We saw spectator mode on Gwent Open and 4 months later we know nothing when it will be available for players or atleast for people who want to organize e-sport events and stream them. Same with twitch extension. I heard that CDPR wants it and that is all about it.

So it doesn't feel to me that they are very committed to Gwent.

Maybe it is that I spent too much money in Gwent and I still want to believe that it will be better than it is right now and maybe it is the only reason why I am still playing Gwent.

Last edited:
Uninstalled it a long time ago. I honestly tried, but could never get into it. We could argue all day about 3 rows vs. 2 rows, RNG, blablabla, but the real killer is simply FUN. No matter what I did, I simply could not have as much fun with HC Gwent as I did in beta. The gameplay, the deckbuilding, the art...it makes no sense to me. All these ridiculous decisions by the creative department..."oh yeah let's make this game more *mature* by making everything look like it was painted by a terminally depressed Renoir", like those movies and shows that keep coming out on Netflix and everything is always in the same tones of blue and grey to make it "moody and mysterious". I'm sorry, but if you don't understand colours, you have no business creating anything in gaming. What else? Taking some admittedly beloved characters from the Witcher 3 and building a WHOLE faction around them in the form of one of the most nauseating and abundant cliches of contemporary film and literature... the crime SYNDICATE *barf*
I really don't understand who is in charge of this mess and why that is so.

The hardheadedness of the devs was also a major turn off for me - if you make some announcements and your fans start rioting online, maybe you should think twice about what you're doing. I find the attitude of the development team behind Gwent to be haughty and disdainful of many people who supported CDPR from day one. "Yeah we hear what you're saying, but we know better. You're just a vocal minority anyway."

Homecoming was nothing more and nothing less than an attempt to break into the mainstream. You can believe in the fairytales the devs have served us if you want, that they were just trying to make the game viable, that they wanted to make it better for us, etc. etc.. But the reality is that every single move behind Homecoming (from the 2 row system and the larger card art all specifically engineered for mobile platforms, to monetizing premium cards to whatever else you can think of) was designed to turn this into something commercially viable and to tap into a larger audience. Nothing wrong with that.

But if you think you can throw "day ones" under the bus in search of the mythical mass fandom, the fickle mainstream will teach you a bitter lesson about how fanbases are built and lost. Pretty sure the move didn't pay off as of today. And I maintain my admittedly somber prediction that Gwent will be dead by autumn, despite all the crimson tides and syndicates the team throws at it.

I will not gloat, but I will be back to say I told you so.

but the real killer is simply FUN.
You know that fun is a subjective term and the "fun" aspect is different for everyone.
I'm sorry, but if you don't understand colors, you have no business creating anything in gaming.
The way you are talking about the art style and the color scheme of the cards is really questionable especially from an artistic point of view. There is not a single card game that has the same art style as Gwent and for you to go as far as to say that they designed everything just to make a quick buck out of the game just shows how far from the reality you are! That artwork is time-consuming, DEMANDING attention to details and very difficult to animate. So in that department, you are the furthest from the truth!

But if you think you can throw "day ones" under the bus in search of the mythical mass fandom, the fickle mainstream will teach you a bitter lesson about how fanbases are built and lost.
[ . . . ] You mean to tell everyone that the company that was built upon the logic and sentiment of caring for the player base, the developers that were always open for a discussion with the community and have always communicated with their FANBASE are the ones who are the villains in this situation and they need to be thought a lesson? And how is the "fickle mainstream" is gonna teach anybody a lesson? By spreading untrue statements and hate in the forums? I think you are the one that needs to be thought a lesson of how communities work!

[ . . . ]

I understand that at the beginning was tough, you were attached to the game you had fun and everything and you lied to yourself that it's going to continue forever. When you face reality, however, you can't accept it. And here we are 1 year prior Beta test you are here making assumptions and pointing fingers at a company that didn't do anything wrong to anybody, YES they made and make mistakes, YES, not every choice is right, but behind the LOGO of the red bird, there are human beings that try their hardest and have good intentions and if you can't see that, that's even sadder! I am sure you had your cases when you gave it your all and in the end, you were not appreciated because your intentions were different than some of your friends for example. [ . . . ]

[ . . . ]

Moderator's note: edited out personal attacks

Last edited by a moderator:

Raunbjorn

Uninstalled it a long time ago. I honestly tried, but could never get into it. We could argue all day about 3 rows vs. 2 rows, RNG, blablabla, but the real killer is simply FUN. No matter what I did, I simply could not have as much fun with HC Gwent as I did in beta. The gameplay, the deckbuilding, the art...it makes no sense to me. All these ridiculous decisions by the creative department..."oh yeah let's make this game more *mature* by making everything look like it was painted by a terminally depressed Renoir", like those movies and shows that keep coming out on Netflix and everything is always in the same tones of blue and grey to make it "moody and mysterious". I'm sorry, but if you don't understand colours, you have no business creating anything in gaming. What else? Taking some admittedly beloved characters from the Witcher 3 and building a WHOLE faction around them in the form of one of the most nauseating and abundant cliches of contemporary film and literature... the crime SYNDICATE *barf*
I really don't understand who is in charge of this mess and why that is so.

The hardheadedness of the devs was also a major turn off for me - if you make some announcements and your fans start rioting online, maybe you should think twice about what you're doing. I find the attitude of the development team behind Gwent to be haughty and disdainful of many people who supported CDPR from day one. "Yeah we hear what you're saying, but we know better. You're just a vocal minority anyway."

Homecoming was nothing more and nothing less than an attempt to break into the mainstream. You can believe in the fairytales the devs have served us if you want, that they were just trying to make the game viable, that they wanted to make it better for us, etc. etc.. But the reality is that every single move behind Homecoming (from the 2 row system and the larger card art all specifically engineered for mobile platforms, to monetizing premium cards to whatever else you can think of) was designed to turn this into something commercially viable and to tap into a larger audience. Nothing wrong with that.

But if you think you can throw "day ones" under the bus in search of the mythical mass fandom, the fickle mainstream will teach you a bitter lesson about how fanbases are built and lost. Pretty sure the move didn't pay off as of today. And I maintain my admittedly somber prediction that Gwent will be dead by autumn, despite all the crimson tides and syndicates the team throws at it.

I will not gloat, but I will be back to say I told you so.
(Reposting the whole comment for visibility.)

This post is completely spot on and incredibly well said.
Having a long beta with massive tournaments and then scrapping the whole idea without listening to feedback from the players and all the notable streamers who then left the game says something about the dev team, honestly. [...]
I still believe Gwent has the potential to be great again - I mean they already had a diamond in the rough and people will come back eventually if the game gets interesting once more.

Edited. -Drac

You know that fun is a subjective term and the "fun" aspect is different for everyone.

I agree that fun is a subjective term. Half of the playerbase or even more left after Homecoming. Probably they didn't have fun. Homecoming didn't attract new players. We have less players than we had in Open Beta. Those are facts.

You can check my earlier posts and you will see that I was trying to be positive about Homecoming. You can compare it with my last post. I gave Homecoming a chance and 9 months later it is still "meh" and less fun than it was in Open Beta for me and for players who left.

And don't try playing on emotions because some people hired by CDPR are working on a product that must sell. As I said in my earlier post. It feels that CDPR was committed with Witcher, it feels that CDPR is committed with Cyberpunk, I don't have this feeling when it comes to Gwent and I said why in my previous post.

Ok mate, but you forgot to explain where in the relation cdproject-players there is a place for respect. We were invited by cdproject to take part in beta test of Gwent. What is more, we even paid them for the invitation, because we wanted in that way to be grateful and show how much we value their work. Yes, we players respected the creators of the game. For almost two years we humbly endured the more and more mistakes made by them in creating the game. In those times we were treated harshly, they changed Gwent every patch or did nothing for months. But we were with them, even when they abandoned Gwent for good a year ago. Do you remeber their promises after midwinter disaster? They said, they would never do anything with Gwent without players, and we believed them. With hc they broke their promises, there were no ptr or consultations. With hc release we were betrayed and just thrown in the trash with our beloved Gwent. For nine months, nobody from cdproject said anything how we were treated. They are still pretending that everything is fine, but it is not. And we say it here. And please, do not compare our girlfriends and wives to cdproject. This is highly inappropriate, after what the company has done to us.

Last edited:
Some content removed for being rude, insulting, and generally antagonistic. More will follow if needed.
If you cannot be civil, do not post.

People have strong opinions about this subject, which is understandable. What isn't understandable, or acceptable, is the insulting of other players who happen to disagree with you. It wasn't acceptable back in October and it certainly isn't now.

Whether you're a beta player or not, whether you like Homecoming or not, is irrelevant when it comes to what kind of content is OK to post.

Guest 4305932

Ok mate, but you forgot to explain where in the relation cdproject-players there is a place for respect. We were invited by cdproject to take part in beta test of Gwent. What is more, we even paid them for the invitation, because we wanted in that way to be grateful and show how much we value their work. Yes, we players respected the creators of the game. For almost two years we humbly endured the more and more mistakes made by them in creating the game. In those times we were treated harshly, they changed Gwent every patch or did nothing for months. But we were with them, even when they abandoned Gwent for good a year ago. Do you remeber their promises after midwinter disaster? They said, they would never do anything with Gwent without players, and we believed them. With hc they broke their promises, there were no ptr or consultations. With hc release we were betrayed and just thrown in the trash with our beloved Gwent. For nine months, nobody from cdproject said anything how we were treated. They are still pretending that everything is fine, but it is not. And we say it here. And please, do not compare our girlfirends or wifes to cdproject. This is highly inappropriate, after what the company has done to us.

Exactly when did you paid for the invitation? You paid because you wanted to pay not because you needed to pay for an invite.

[...]

I'm not saying that they should only satisfy me or people who like HC, I simply feel lucky because i like most changes and I'm truly sorry that you don't feel the same. In a perfect world they could satisfy everyone, this is not a perfect world.

Edited. -Drac

I am not dividing players, cdprojekt did it by making another card game. The new one for some it can be ok, but some want to play Old Good Gwent. What are you surprised? And we? I mean, me and my friends, quite many who enjoyed OGG. We paid for some elements of the game, which does not exist anymore. Gwent was taken away from us. The substitute is not acceptable.

Guest 4305932

I am not dividing players, cdprojekt did it by making another card game. The new one for some it can be ok, but some want to play Old Good Gwent. What are you surprised? And we? I mean, me and my friends, quite many who enjoyed OGG. We paid for some elements of the game, which does not exist anymore. Gwent was taken away from us. The substittute is not acceptable.

How you can say you are not dividing players when your literally used "we players" and not "me and my friends" in your post. Do you really think before HC everyone was in love with Gwent? even before MW some people were not happy about the state of the game. Plus again, there it is, the idea that there is one good Gwent and everything else is not Gwent. Closed beta was as different to OB just like Hc is different from OB. And every multiplayer Gwent iteration has been different from W3 Gwent? Books Gwent was similar to this. who decide what is Gwent? You?

@Kallor.. What is so difficult for you to understand? More players were interested in Gwent before Homecoming than now. More viewers on twitch were interested in Gwent before Homecoming than now. More streamers were interested in Gwent before Homecoming than now. So we can easily assume that game was more popular because it was more fun than it is right now.

Open Beta fans have solid evidence and you are trying to prove something without solid arguments. You can't argue with numbers. I mean you can try but I doubt that you will show anything that is solid.

Homecoming is different game than Open Beta, it has some nice features but in general it is less fun than Open Beta and I can back up this statement with numbers. I am still playing and supporting it with my money but it is just less fun for me than it was in Open Beta.

Guest 4305932

@Kallor.. What is so difficult for you to understand? More players were interested in Gwent before Homecoming than now. More viewers on twitch were interested in Gwent before Homecoming than now. More streamers were interested in Gwent before Homecoming than now. So we can easily assume that game was more popular because it was more fun than it is right now.

Open Beta fans have solid evidence and you are trying to prove something without solid arguments. You can't argue with numbers. I mean you can try but I doubt that you will show anything that is solid.

The assumption "it's popular so it must good" is wrong. You are right, i can't really argue with numbers when this numbers are taken out of the context. Streamers? Oh yes let's forget about streamers behaviour, let's forget about how many tried to jump on Artifact wagon and then let's use the number to try to enforce my argument. This is intellectual dishonesty.

Players numbers, oh yes yes let's use player numbers. Let's take numbers at it's peak, forget about the numbers being in decline even in fall 2017.

And last but not least, we should not forget about Midwinter aka the day Rethaz wake up and decided to destroy the game because beta was p-e-r-f-e-c-t. Nothing in beta could have been the cause of the first disaster.

And so on.

P.s.

I don't have problem to recognize that for many players game was more fun during beta. Sometimes even I miss the tutor chains for example. The difference between me and you is that i can divide what is "fun for me" from "what is good for the game". You can't or simply don't want.

Game is fun for me so who cares about everything else. What? The new expansion is a disaster? Must be Rethaz fault! I have fun so game is perfect.

Raunbjorn

The way you are talking about the art style and the color scheme of the cards is really questionable especially from an artistic point of view. There is not a single card game that has the same art style as Gwent and for you to go as far as to say that they designed everything just to make a quick buck out of the game just shows how far from the reality you are! That artwork is time-consuming, DEMANDING attention to details and very difficult to animate. So in that department, you are the furthest from the truth!

You see this statement only really shows how low can a human being get. You mean to tell everyone that the company that was built upon the logic and sentiment of caring for the player base, the developers that were always open for a discussion with the community and have always communicated with their FANBASE are the ones who are the villains in this situation and they need to be thought a lesson? And how is the "fickle mainstream" is gonna teach anybody a lesson? By spreading untrue statements and hate in the forums? I think you are the one that needs to be thought a lesson of how communities work!

I will say this and hopefully, no moderator edits it! You and I are not developers, you don't know better, neither do I, however, if there is one thing that I have learned in life is that when somebody spreads hate, or have a vengeful attitude towards something - a person, a company, a president or anything, those are sad people, I know how I felt when that was the case for me and let me tell you, voicing out your inner struggle with something through hateful comments is not gonna help you, neither will help CDPR make the game better or bring back Beta. On the contrary, it will just push away the idea of beta Gwent ever coming back because of how much controversy is going on right now!

I understand that at the beginning was tough, you were attached to the game you had fun and everything and you lied to yourself that it's going to continue forever. When you face reality, however, you can't accept it. And here we are 1 year prior Beta test you are here making assumptions and pointing fingers at a company that didn't do anything wrong to anybody, YES they made and make mistakes, YES, not every choice is right, but behind the LOGO of the red bird, there are human beings that try their hardest and have good intentions and if you can't see that, that's even sadder! I am sure you had your cases when you gave it your all and in the end, you were not appreciated because your intentions were different than some of your friends for example. If you think that when a game you like changes hurts, you should see when your wife or girlfriend or beloved one turns into something you never knew!

I'm not going to respond to you if hating on my comment is your first thought after reading this, I just wanted other people to think about what they are saying before posting comments of such sort and remind them that this behavior does not prove a point it just shows what kind person you are!

[ . . . ] You do realise it's a business, right? I mean if it wasn't a business we probably didn't have had the Midwinter patch and HC by now. FWIW I've "lied" to myself and really been trying to like HC. I've even preordered CC and both SY bundles but the game has lost all flavor and that fast and fluid pace that earlier versions had without the whole Orders/non interactive SY stuff going on.

Now that everyone had some time to cool off, let's give it one final try. However, if this thread goes off the rails again, it's going to take a permanent place on the junkyard.

But you haven’t bought the whole product. You haven’t bought Gwent, you bought cards. You bought an immediate boost to your collection.

I bought the cards because of the whole product.

They are not selling cards in a vacuum just because they look pretty, they are selling the witcher theme
and gameplay mechanics
and a competitive mode
and progression

And you buy all that in the shape of cards. If anyone thought the mechanics and graphics were crap I doubt that buying digital cards is something to consider.

Still playing since open beta, and I gotta admit, the new direction is something I like. The now dominant decks might be boring right now, but if every faction gets a rework like NR (and like SY was from the beginning), I am having more and more fun, because with every deck I feel like I can win and only lose because of my own mistakes.

Top Bottom