Question about retail standard edition

+
I'd be curious to know how many PC gamers actually have BD optical drives. Building a new PC now and have absolutely no consideration for one.

That aside, just look past the thinly veiled PR talk to see what this really is about, cost.

All 3 of my pc's have internal Bluray drives. A usb stick of 128Gb would work,might add a bit to cost,but not much. I bought 2 last month from Corsair,128 gigabyte usb 3.0 for 14 cdn each. Buying millions would dramatically lower costs.... I really want a physical copy,and would happily pay more ! Think hard on this for future releases.

Last edited:
This is why I suggest, USB flash drive as a option. Here in the US you can buy a
Micro Center 128GB SuperSpeed USB 3.1 (Gen 1) Flash Drive
for $11.99 USD. I am sure buying in bulk you could get these much cheaper. I for one would be willing to pay another $10 to not have to download for a day.

I have suggested this to. Half a year ago. But i think they want to make sure we dont sell the game when we are done with it.

It is better for them to sell it a year later with 30% discount than we sell it and they get nothing.

I have suggested this to. Half a year ago. But i think they want to make sure we dont sell the game when we are done with it.

It is better for them to sell it a year later with 30% discount than we sell it and they get nothing.

...all the console versions will still have disks. this literally makes no sense at all.

they aren't doing a physical disk (which by the way would cost like 1/100 of usb drives) is because blu ray and even DVD drives are not a standard bit of PC equipment, specially on newer PCs. since they don't have a standard and not horrendously expensive data medium but a massive bulk of people buying from GoG/Steam/etc intrinsically have an internet connection that is the simplest solution.

It's not perfect or even ideal for everyone even if they do have an internet connection, but way better than producing 100k blu ray disks of the game that won't sell at all as far as the company is concerned.

they aren't doing a physical disk (which by the way would cost like 1/100 of usb drives) is because blu ray and even DVD drives are not a standard bit of PC equipment, specially on newer PCs. since they don't have a standard and not horrendously expensive data medium but a massive bulk of people buying from GoG/Steam/etc intrinsically have an internet connection that is the simplest solution.

It's not perfect or even ideal for everyone even if they do have an internet connection, but way better than producing 100k blu ray disks of the game that won't sell at all as far as the company is concerned.

You are correct! But the simplest solution is not always the best... Ask Bethesda.
My suggestion is offer this as an option, just as you offer the CE as an option. "we have our CE with download game code , and our standard with download game code, our Consoles with DVD. For $10 more you can get the PC versions with USB Game."
The whole thing about current PC not having a CD/DVD is true or partly true, but you would be hard pressed to find a PC that does not have at least a 2.0 USB now. Yes, most if not all people that are planning to play CyberPunk 2077, do have a internet connection, but they might not be fast or reliable (for a 100GB or whatever it's going to be) download. I will concede that this is mainly an upfront pain-in-the-ass, but this is also going to effect EVERY PC Player, and that's the first impression we will get 5 or 10 hour down load. We are all so excited about getting this game and playing it and when day one comes we all get to wait 5 more hours and hope our internet connection is fast and hope the servers don't crap out.
Post automatically merged:

You are correct! But the simplest solution is not always the best... Ask Bethesda.
My suggestion is offer this as an option, just as you offer the CE as an option. "we have our CE with download game code , and our standard with download game code, our Consoles with DVD. For $10 more you can get the PC versions with USB Game."
The whole thing about current PC not having a CD/DVD is true or partly true, but you would be hard pressed to find a PC that does not have at least a 2.0 USB now. Yes, most if not all people that are planning to play CyberPunk 2077, do have a internet connection, but they might not be fast or reliable (for a 100GB or whatever it's going to be) download. I will concede that this is mainly an upfront pain-in-the-ass, but this is also going to effect EVERY PC Player, and that's the first impression we will get 5 or 10 hour down load. We are all so excited about getting this game and playing it and when day one comes we all get to wait 5 more hours and hope our internet connection is fast and hope the servers don't crap out.

I don't disagree, the DL sizes are vastly outpacing the roll out of quality internet connections largely because there are a handful of people that do have them? must be the same group of people that are just itching for that steaming games service no one seems to buy in to.

I would vastly prefer the game on disk. I am one of those loonies that actually has a Blu Ray drive in my PC because i was expecting them to move to that for physical distribution as it did for the consoles.

But for what ever reason, probably partly the success of steam, it was decided that PC games didn't need physical disks any-more.

The console disks are essentially just DRM and an install wizard, that's why you rarely have to switch disks while playing now. I chose to not have an optical disk drive on my PC, and I'm not super keen on plugging in USB drives that have had to go through an assembly line. I prefer to have fewer points of contact on devices I'll plug into privileged ports, not to mention that between production and purchase there will have been at least 10 updates so you'll pretty much be downloading the game all over again making the disk or usb nearly pointless. Though if I just downloaded the game and then have to patch, that's some BS right there.

The console disks are essentially just DRM and an install wizard, that's why you rarely have to switch disks while playing now. I chose to not have an optical disk drive on my PC, and I'm not super keen on plugging in USB drives that have had to go through an assembly line. I prefer to have fewer points of contact on devices I'll plug into privileged ports, not to mention that between production and purchase there will have been at least 10 updates so you'll pretty much be downloading the game all over again making the disk or usb nearly pointless. Though if I just downloaded the game and then have to patch, that's some BS right there.

I personally love the fact that I don't have a closet full of boxes gathering dust anymore. I kept a few boxes, but I very much prefer having things available digitally. (Truly, if one has reliable access to the internet, it's just as secure as having physical disks. They can be scratched. Newer drives sometimes have issues reading older CDs. I don't need to worry about them getting lost. And it's far fewer boxes to pack.)

As for downloads getting larger...when has that not been the case? There was a time when game assets were limited to 500 MB max and we needed to wait for patches to be released on CDs paired with gaming magazines that you had to pay ~$15.00 for. Installations for games at that point could take several hours (...before the last of 5 CDs notified you that the disk could not be read). I definitely prefer our modern method.

I personally love the fact that I don't have a closet full of boxes gathering dust anymore. I kept a few boxes, but I very much prefer having things available digitally. (Truly, if one has reliable access to the internet, it's just as secure as having physical disks. They can be scratched. Newer drives sometimes have issues reading older CDs. I don't need to worry about them getting lost. And it's far fewer boxes to pack.)

As for downloads getting larger...when has that not been the case? There was a time when game assets were limited to 500 MB max and we needed to wait for patches to be released on CDs paired with gaming magazines that you had to pay ~$15.00 for. Installations for games at that point could take several hours (...before the last of 5 CDs notified you that the disk could not be read). I definitely prefer our modern method.

For sure. I DO get the desire for a tangible physical product you can hold in your hands or look at years later if it becomes one of your favorite games. I still mostly buy actual books despite having a slew of devices around me that could all read digital versions be they e or audio books (though I am slowly starting to move away from this addiction). That said I don't miss babysitting long installs so I can swap out disks, being in the middle of an intense scene which comes to a screeching halt because my dog bumped my desk and caused the disk to skip, having to pay for patches or them not existing at all because of the logistics of getting patches out, having a bunch of extra clutter around the house, losing/damaging a disk, or any number of issues that have been solved by just not having physical media. On top of all of that, if I was a less selfish person I might even care about the environmental benefits of reducing my carbon footprint by eliminating packaging and materials or even the economic benefit of my favorite game developers not having the overhead of burning and shipping physical disks around the world.

I know this I was making a joke. Good on them for leading the DRM Free revolution :)

My copy of Drakkhen on way too many 5 1/2" floppies would also like to remind everyone that media wears out and/or becomes obsolete. I don't even have an optical drive on my PC because I couldn't justify adding one to my build. A lot of OEMs are going that way as well.

I dont get the argument here the file size is really nothing anymore as far as average for anything done online short of just reading newspapers online. jusr boot up the pc turn off everything but the game launcher your firewall and virus scan and pause anything the launcher may want to update. then just leave it go to dinner an movie and should be about done if not beyond done. im getting it on ps4 personally as my main concern for it there has been semi adressed to where the concern is minimal anymore, but i am getting it digitally. and as far as argument that they dont want people to resell it after done. There really isnt a market for used pc games compared to console games unless they are really old and hard to find on newer printings. there 2 stores here that specialize in used games and between the two of them there is maybe 1 shelf of pc games. while there 2-4 racks of games for pretty much every console out there

I'm just happy that this game is not exclusive to Epic store lol
the epic game store may crash in a month or so anyway if any indication they don't seem to think they can handle the download strain of game the size of borderlands. even after going out of their way to make it an exclusive for a year. Based on thier own statement regarding preloading it

Yes, box with PC edition will contain a GOG code.

Due to the size of the game, it would require an unrealistic number of DVDs. We considered using BluRay discs, but a standard PC config doesn't include a BluRay Drive, so we decided to use the next most convenient solution.
Hi, do you guys know already if you can fit all the game in 1 bluray disc on console? If not, do you plan to add a second disc (like red dead redemption 2 and final fantasy 7 remake) or to make us download several Gb like one of the last call of duty games (apart for the obvious day 1 patch)?

Hi, do you guys know already if you can fit all the game in 1 bluray disc on console?

It probably depends on what type of discs the console optical disc drive can read. I wouldn't see needing 2-3 install discs as a big deal. Back in the day we would have like 5-6 discs. Games would come in these big thick disc protectors/cases. Anytime an expansion came out you'd have to order it or run down to the local store and buy it. Fun times.... Especially if any of the discs picked up scratches. Nothing like getting 80% of the way through the install and having it fail because it couldn't read specific files.

Honestly, internet connectivity limitations aside, it'd make more sense to offer some type of disc image via download. Then the person can pull it down and slap it on media themselves. That way they can have it for their "collection", or to pretend it somehow gives them ownership over the game files (nope). DRM related issues aside anyway. Not that DRM on physical media stopped anyone...

It probably depends on what type of discs the console optical disc drive can read. I wouldn't see needing 2-3 install discs as a big deal. Back in the day we would have like 5-6 discs. Games would come in these big thick disc protectors/cases. Anytime an expansion came out you'd have to order it or run down to the local store and buy it. Fun times.... Especially if any of the discs picked up scratches. Nothing like getting 80% of the way through the install and having it fail because it couldn't read specific files.

Honestly, internet connectivity limitations aside, it'd make more sense to offer some type of disc image via download. Then the person can pull it down and slap it on media themselves. That way they can have it for their "collection", or to pretend it somehow gives them ownership over the game files (nope). DRM related issues aside anyway. Not that DRM on physical media stopped anyone...
I'm not sure of what you're trying to say, but all retail games on consoles are on bluray discs (99% only 1 disc, but as I wrote there are few examples where it's not enough), while digital download is possible from sony/microsoft stores. Of course consoles can't master discs, just read them.

P.S. retail is cheaper than DD on consoles (crazy I know, but hardware producers don't want to fight with reatil sellers since they don't have shops and their own delivery system) and my connection is definetely not good enough (4-10Gb/s, quite unstable) so retail is the way to go for me, couldn't care less of having a collection.

I'm not sure of what you're trying to say, but all retail games on consoles are on bluray discs (99% only 1 disc, but as I wrote there are few examples where it's not enough), while digital download is possible from sony/microsoft stores. Of course consoles can't master discs, just read them.

To my knowledge there are different types of blu ray disc formats with different capacities. Every blu ray optical drive isn't compatible with every disc type. I'm not sure if the optical drives in current consoles can actually read some of the higher capacity disc formats. This would be relevant when looking at the necessary size requirements of the game. You may be able to slap 100GB on a certain disc format but it's not very relevant if the console optical drive can only read 50GB sized discs.

Top Bottom