The General Videogame Thread

+
An E3 announcement that kinda flew under the radar but quickly caught my attention:

Exactly the same thought I got when I watched it, but I played Gangsters 2 not Organized Crime. It is weird that many game themes and styles have disappeared or rarely get implemented. Like this gangsters' world setting. Very few games have done such thing. The ones I can think of is Gangesters and Omerta. Even the titles that followed this theme but with different style are quite few. Godfather and Mafia.

And many other themes and styles have simply gone with the wind. Virtual Cop: theme and style did not evolve and disappeared altogether. Age of Empires/Kings/Mythology: the theme exists in several titles, such as Total War, but the style is no longer applied. Command & Conquer, Supreme Commander and the like are also buried. Commandos: there may be some hope to revive such experience with the release of similar games like Shadow Tactics. Small Soldiers: The theme definitely disappeared, but I think the style evolved into games like XCom. Advent Rising: maybe Mass Effect managed in a way to live up to its memory. Kane & Lynch: even the movie adaptation went dark. Spore: It literally went to dark. After Darkspore the theme and style are simply gone. Prototype/Infamous: maybe it is still early to tell, but for the time being theme and style are postponed.

There are themes that probably intended to serve as a one time experience, like Small Soldiers. But styles should be constantly evolved, especially the ones that proved to be appealing to many people. And with the remastering of Age of Empires and the announcement of its new installment and the release of Shadow Tactics and the upcoming Desperados 3, there is hope that these forgotten themes and styles are making a come back.

Apparently death stranding will come on PC as well. It's weird since sony owns the trademark and has provided kojima with the decima engine, but it was announced only as a console exclusive and not a total exclusive. I don't think we'll know more about it before 2020, though, they'll want to maximize sales on ps4 first.

In a way it just fits that DS is not a PS4 Exclusive, after all according to Kojima the main focus of the game is building bridges and removing barriers not just within the game, but between different players too, so dividng them by making it exclusive to one platform would kinda go against it's intended purpose.

However I must also add that lack of certainty regarding even such a basic things like the platforms the game supposed to be released at is part of the problem I have regarding that game, which is lack of coherent informations about what exactly it supposed to be. I mean only three months are left until release, but we still barely know anything about how it plays. Sure, the mystery surrounding Death Stranding is a big part of the appeal, but it makes me question if many things about it are not just a result of communication failure on Kojima's part. I know for sure it's going to be a fairly unique experience, but if it's going to be also a good experience or really messy one, I can't really tell, honestly it can easily go either way.

we still barely know anything about how it plays. Sure, the mystery surrounding Death Stranding is a big part of the appeal, but it makes me question if many things about it are not just a result of communication failure on Kojima's part. I know for sure it's going to be a fairly unique experience, but if it's going to be also a good experience or really messy one, I can't really tell, honestly it can easily go either way.
200% agreed. I'm hyped as fuck for the atmosphere that game as, but except of it being TPP with stealth and shooting elements, and probably some enviromental puzzle, we know nothing. it'll be at gamescom opening conference, I hope they'll show 5 minutes of pure and simple gameplay, not the usual cinematic trailer.

I'm really scared that it'll be another MGS4-like game: 5 hours of (excellent) gameplay, 10 of cinematics.

My little hope: they used the same techinique santa monica used for fast travel in GOW, but applied to death (= transistion to hades and back), so no real loading screen is shown between the 2 settings (real world and hades) while the game loads assets in background. A little touch that makes the game much more immersive.

I think you got the wrong statistic. The 12 millions you are referring to were the number of copies send to the shops and such, which doesn't necessarily translates into sales. In fact, the overall number of Fallout 4 copies sold up to 2019 for all the platforms is 14,91 millions.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/504477/global-all-time-unit-sales-fallout-games/

So The Witcher 3 with it's 20 millions of copies beats it by a wide margin, which for a game from, at the time, fairly niche series, is quite impressive.
If the statistic is wrong, it's coming directly from Bethesda.

Apparently death stranding will come on PC as well. It's weird since sony owns the trademark and has provided kojima with the decima engine, but it was announced only as a console exclusive and not a total exclusive. I don't think we'll know more about it before 2020, though, they'll want to maximize sales on ps4 first.

Also, this is fantastic news.

Last edited:
EDIT: so it started. Everybody trying to jump on the cyberpunk train.

I'm 100% sure we'll see a cyberpunk game from ubisoft in the next 3 years.
Ghostrunner looks OK, but the excitement is kind of muted because of yet another poor choice of perspective, at least for me. Why the vast majority of cyberpunk-themed games are either top-down isometric or first person is beyond me.
Oh, and uhh...three years? Try less than seven months. Have you taken a real good look at Watch_Dogs: Legion? It may not be the PnP version of Cyberpunk, but it ticks off nearly every box to be a part of the cyberpunk genre, which is a beautiful thing seeing as how that's the sole open-world cyberpunk-themed game in third person.

Now, if we're talking about the possibility of Rockstar taking a crack at a cyberpunk game within three years as well, I definitely wouldn't be surprised. Frankly, I hope they do as A) it would probably be third person as their games tend to be and B) it would be amazing, as their games tend to be.

Last edited:
Now, if we're talking about the possibility of Rockstar taking a crack at a cyberpunk game within three years as well, I definitely wouldn't be surprised. Frankly, I hope they do as A) it would probably be third person as their games tend to be and B) it would be amazing, as their games tend to be.
I don't think that's possible, they've always focused on realistic settings (I mean no fantasy or sci-fi).
I'd love that, though, like I love rockstar's games.

---------------------------------------

death stranding... I don't like how kojima is spoiling a lot of story/lore while keeping the gameplay for himself. It should be the opposite. There's a lot of MGS V in this game, same kind of direction (the short cutscene when sam stands up or starts climbing the ladder) and kojima's classic irony (that I personally dislike). I LOVED the walking animations and how are dependant on the type of soil, it looks as interactive as RDR2, didn't love that much the ladder popping up magically but I can forgive him.

More gameplay coming at TGS, he promised a good amount of it. I hope we'll see a proper gameplay at last.

I'm not posting the "story trailers" for spoilers.

I want to share 2 little rumors from a deepthroat I know: control is an excellent game (frame rate is a problem on base consoles though) and TLOU2 release date will be announced at the end of september for the first 6 months of 2020. Believe it or not, up to you guys.

Last edited:
I don't think that's possible, they've always focused on realistic settings (I mean no fantasy or sci-fi).
I'd love that, though, like I love rockstar's games.
*sigh* Unfortunately, that has been the case, but I'm hoping that they decide to branch out, explore new horizons and such...if the cyberpunk genre is the next new hot thing, it makes it a possibility, at least.

But until then, there's still Watch_Dogs: Legion!
A game with permadeath...and has the stones to include a character trait "May die randomly"? Ha! Well played, Ubisoft...well played, indeed. :ok:

EDIT: so it started. Everybody trying to jump on the cyberpunk train.[/MEDIA]

Ive a strange feeling Bungie is onto us. I found it odd thye moved to Steam with Destiny at least. I personally think Bungie and CDPR are quite even match if it goes down, win win for both companies.

Guest 3847602

Great news from Bulgaria, never expected to see the sequel to this game:
For those unfamiliar with KoH - it's a mix between Crusader Kings and Medieval: Total War.
Is it just me or the King sounds like Roche?:think:

Great news from Bulgaria, never expected to see the sequel to this game:
For those unfamiliar with KoH - it's a mix between Crusader Kings and Medieval: Total War.
Is it just me or the King sounds like Roche?:think:

Oh, wow! What a blast from the past! KoH was one of the most entertaining strategy games I played with a rather unique, lighthearted feel.

It's looking great!

Nice interview with Kojima from 4players.de: english-> https://www.resetera.com/threads/4players-interview-kojima-q-a-on-death-stranding.136780/

4P: Many studios try to involve the community in the process of game development, sometimes even influencing creative decisions based on feedback. Do you think that the voice of the players should have such an influence on the game design or do you prefer to focus on your own ideas and visions?
K: For me, this is not an option. If I did, I would not be able to try new things. When starting a new project, the worst enemy is usually your family. Family in the sense of your employees or your confidants. They say, "Oh, that will not be a success. We've never seen this kind of game before. "But that's the point when you create something new. I only give these people the opportunity for demos or presentations when my vision has been incorporated into an appropriate level environment. When the game is somehow packed into level structures that make me feel comfortable sharing my thoughts, we watch the reactions and listen to the details like, "Oh, the controls should be like that, or the user interface like that." And of course I'll listen , But the core will not change.
4P: You said that Death Stranding will define a new genre. Why did you feel like you had to create a new one?
K: As with the stealth games I created (Metal Gear Solid), I always wanted to create something new. I believe that this is my destiny. If I had to create something that already exists, I think that it should not come from me. I'm not saying "no" to the other games out there. But when it comes to me, I want to create something new. That's why I wanted to create this genre.

And I totally agree on this because if you want to set the bar, to make something new, you can't stick to people's opinion in order to make a game for everyone. You need to make brave choices, not caring of the status quo.
A couple of examples:
-GOW 2018 who reinvented the saga
-RDR2's animations (some people complain because they like other types of games better, but rockstar made the most immersive TPP game ever)
-GTA V's driving system which is much worse than GTA IV's because people wanted a casual GTA and not a more serious/realistic.

Of course if you wish to make a more of the same in a genre, this doesn't apply, but you miss the occasion of being revolutionary and end-up being like ubisoft open-world games with their ubiquitous copy-paste mechanics.

Top Bottom