Movies / TV Shows!

+
So, this is actually happening..

Yeah, let's dredge up another classic from the past because we've ran out of ideas. That never ends well...

Okay, almost never...

Fine, it usually doesn't end well and turns out to be a disappointment.

Fringe

Got a little way into season 3 when it originally aired, then my life went sour big time. Lost interest

Just started season 2 last night...I love it again

Hope it holds up all the way

John Noble especially is brilliant, but they are all excellent, even Pacey from the creek

The Boys. (if it hasn't already been mentioned)

Teen avenger end hunger games super hero stuff bores me. I can't do it any more.
A super hero story dosed with a little bit of reality? Unstoppable people wanting to bend the scales of justice in their favour?
About time.

its good stuff and Homelander is amazing.

Yeah, let's dredge up another classic from the past because we've ran out of ideas. That never ends well...

Okay, almost never...

Fine, it usually doesn't end well and turns out to be a disappointment.

But those aren't exactly sequels, more like reboots, aren't they.

And it dosen't seem like a reboot considering it has the same actors. Either way, I am kinda looking forward to it. The Matrix is one of my favorite movies, probably number one, in fact.

Did you prefer Mad Max 2 Road Warrior or Fury Road?
Both are great but the Lord Humungus is a super reasonable guy. It takes the cake and holds a special place in my heart.

Horror movies are usually trash jump scares or gore meant to entertain. Oh look, another piece of found footage or a scary doll.
Hereditary (2018) is an outstanding gem. Watch if you have not seen.

I still love first Matrix movie, I like rewatching second one due to some scenes, the third one... had cool (but impractical) mechs and final battle (which I liked for being the closest we will ever get to competently done live action DBZ fight in a Hollywood movie) going for it, but nothing else. When I watched the ending to Revolutions as a teen, I kinda wished, despite my mixed feelings regarding the sequels, that they still continue that universe through the future movies, but now so many years later, when I finally got it, I saw numerous examples of classics that I wished to see getting next part of the story being utterly butchered by the souless Hollywood machine (like Disney Star Wars movies or Terminator), so right now I don't find myself caring about it anymore and wishing they would just leave Matrix alone. Wachowski's track record after first Matrix doesn't inspire much hope either.

It feels like they took a number of ideas from Shin Hokuto No Ken...

Never seen (or heard of) those. I don't know very much anime. Cool, if they wound up sharing ideas back and forth, though.

But those aren't exactly sequels, more like reboots, aren't they.

And it dosen't seem like a reboot considering it has the same actors. Either way, I am kinda looking forward to it. The Matrix is one of my favorite movies, probably number one, in fact.

Blade Runner 2049 is definitely a sequel. And I really didn't believe that the story could reasonably be followed up on. But they managed. Holy @#$%!...they managed.

For Mad Max, my interpretation is now that each of them is a stand-alone "folk legend" about the "Road Warrior". Like, some Robin Hood / Paul Bunyan type of figure. Almost none of it is "true". If you take each story, there are certain sequences that repeat as well as contradictory elements between each movie. In each film, the black-on-black is completely destroyed. In each film, Max leads some group of dreamers to a mythological haven. In each film, no one knows what happens to Max in the end. There seems to be no chronology, nor any form of segue between one story and another. So, I don't think "sequel" is quite the right word. More like the retelling of single event by word-of-mouth, each telling adapting itself to fit the culture that tells it.

I would be wary about revisiting The Matrix, though. I feel like the story ends in a pretty strong place. I was a bit miffed by the straightforward, ultimate-sacrifice-of-the-messiah thing, but I loved the resolution. It feels like intentionally waking up the baby so that you can rock it to sleep again. (Of course, I said the same thing about Blade Runner 2049, and I was so, sooo wrong.)

the last show i watched was Undercover Billionaire. It's reality tv show on Discovery where billionaire Glenn Stearns goes to Pennsylvania with 100 usd in the pocket and should start from scratch and create 1 million dollar evaluated company.
7/10 as for me.

I just watched the first episode of the HBO Watchmen series... and I’m a bit confused...

Was the plot in the comic also that you have a bunch of liberal good guys who’re stonefaced ninjas and they fight against raving white trash KKK members who wear underpants on their heads?

I mean sure, if that’s the case, but it sounds pretty thin if you think about what would make an interesting plot.

Last edited:
I just watched the first episode of the HBO Watchmen series... and I’m a bit confused...

Was the plot in the comic also that you have a bunch of liberal good guys who’re stonefaced ninjas and they fight against raving white trash KKK members who wear underpants on their heads?

I mean sure, if that’s the case, but it sounds pretty thin if you think about what would make an interesting plot.
The original comicbook was a cynical take on superhero genre, basically taking a bunch of actual superheroes expies and putting them into Cold War era USA during the absolute height of the tensions between USA and Russia, which goes even higher due to the presence of omnipotent superhero (Doctor Manhattan) on the side of United States. The idea was to have comic book superheroes deal with the real life and current (at the time of comic book release) issues just to convey the idea that while superhero stories are all nice and all as a pure fantasy, in reality superheroes would be utterly impractical and potentially harmful. However the book insane popularity (it was listed as one the best British novels of all time, one of the few comic books that managed to pull something like that) led people to learn a wrong lessons out of it and they decided that they should make the superheroes darker, edgier and more relevant by having them deal with real life issues, which often resulted in Deviantart tier edgy storytelling with garbage art and no substance for years to come. The Watchmen creator, Alan Moore, seeing the terrible direction all the superhero comics were heading, focused on making stories that reminded everyone about glory days of superheroes, thus decrying the edgy phase for those type of characters, that he accidentally initiated with his work. Apparently The Watchmen show creator, Damon Lindelof, presented his idea for the series (which supposed to be a sequel to the original comicbook) to Alan Moore who believed it was terrible idea, but to that Lindelof responded with pretty much "lol, don't care".

The idea was to have comic book superheroes deal with the real life and current (at the time of comic book release) issues just to convey the idea that while superhero stories are all nice and all as a pure fantasy, in reality superheroes would be utterly impractical and potentially harmful. However the book insane popularity (it was listed as one the best British novels of all time, one of the few comic books that managed to pull something like that) led people to learn a wrong lessons out of it and they decided that they should make the superheroes darker, edgier and more relevant by having them deal with real life issues, which often resulted in Deviantart tier edgy storytelling with garbage art and no substance for years to come.

Is that where The Boys took the idea?

Top Bottom