Cultural disconnection and CDPR

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Witcher 3 took place in a Slavic setting inspired by Slavic mythology and CDPR being based in Poland was able to capture the feeling of the world, mythology, music, and politics very well because of polish scriptwriters and being based in Poland.

But Cyberpunk 2077 is an undeniably a very American story in comparison and tackles many American topics like gun violence, healthcare, statehood, drug epidemic, laissez-faire capitalism, presidents, the constitution, ethnic-diversity, US-ASIA relations, Military culture, etc. So I was wondering how is the Dev team able to make this world feel realistic and American if the script is written in polish and most of the development team is based in Poland? Essentially the script would have to be written by people who have had an outsiders perspective on the American environment.

I started to worry about this cultural disconnect when I saw the character of Jacky and him being a super stereotype of the average Cholo and his dialogue being so full of slang that it came across as super cringy.

Cultural disconnect in art sometimes creates some hilarious moments like in Japnese videos games showing Americans as cowboys or Americans showing Europeans as being either snobs or hillside villagers tending to sheep. I was really hoping to enter a believable world but I fear that the cultural disconnect of the writers will make the world feel like a European perspective of America rather than an introspective look at the American dark future.

I completely understand your fear, Jackie's slang etc, was one of my first negative impressions, too...
But I still hope, that they have enough writers or advisors helping out. I mean, they are working closely with Mike Pondsmith, after the negative press about the second demo about the Tahitian characters they said that they have people from that community as advisors, so, maybe it will be okay.

...but I fear that the cultural disconnect of the writers will make the world feel like a European perspective of America rather than an introspective look at the American dark future.

If you want to avoid an ultra-woke take on a future fragmented North America circa 2077 when viewed from 2019, there is one essential key criterion: don't make the game in the USA.

Seriously, not joking.

I started to worry about this cultural disconnect when I saw the character of Jacky and him being a super stereotype of the average Cholo and his dialogue being so full of slang that it came across as super cringy.

I think people tend to read too much into things like these.

Stereotypical people exist, and there’s a reason they became stereotypes too.

Sometimes it is the intention of a character to provoke thought with his/her stereotype, intentionally or by happenstance, just like it might if you ran into one in real life. And after that, it is your job to decide whether you accept his/her pose or reject it within the context of the entertainment media you’re consuming.

It’s different if every character was a stereotype, but that obviously isn’t going to be the case.

This is a completely alternate take from real world. It diverts from it since early 70's if I recall it right. Also when you say americans you are talking just european-americans or african-americans right? Cause last time I checked only real americans were Mexica, Navajo, Quechua, etc... Not white people. So U.S. citizens would be more accurate (and it would sound less racist)
I know you don't meant it ill-intentioned, but language matters.

1. They work with Mike Pondsmith.

2. They are a multi-ethnic-cultural-racial-national team. They also do a lot of research and consulting.

3. IIRC the script, dialogues etc are all written in English first and then translated to other languages.

1. They work with Mike Pondsmith.

2. They are a multi-ethnic-cultural-racial-national team. They also do a lot of research and consulting.

3. IIRC the script, dialogues etc are all written in English first and then translated to other languages.
I think the last statement is wrong. Afair everything is first being written in polish and then translateted into english and then to the rest.

Please keep in mind that it's prohibited to "write about political and world-view topics; this does not apply to discussions about fictional topics connected with the worlds depicted in the CDPR products." So keep any political/cultural comments connected strictly to the game. Otherwise it'll get deleted.

I think the last statement is wrong. Afair everything is first being written in polish and then translateted into english and then to the rest.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned it being written originally in English in one of the interviews, unfortunately I can't find it right now.

Considering their team is multi-national, and some of their writers are English-speaking, it would make no sense to write it in different language and then translate it all back to English.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned it being written originally in English in one of the interviews, unfortunately I can't find it right now.

Considering their team is multi-national, and some of their writers are English-speaking, it would make no sense to write it in different language and then translate it all back to English.
Maybe I'm messing things up here and it was the case with the witcher games.

Hope you realize that Cyberpunk 2077 does not play in the future of our world, its a different timeline: In the past of Cyberpunk 2077, there was no President Trump or President Obama, and many developments took a very different direction (as specified by Mike Pondsmiths Cyberpunk world) in the 80s and 90s. E.g. Japanese companies being extremely powerful and a huge influence of japanese culture. With the exception of Manga/Anime, that cultural & business influence didn't happen, or at least didn't stick, in the real world.

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 took place in a Slavic setting inspired by Slavic mythology and CDPR being based in Poland was able to capture the feeling of the world, mythology, music, and politics very well because of polish scriptwriters and being based in Poland.

But Cyberpunk 2077 is an undeniably a very American story in comparison and tackles many American topics like gun violence, healthcare, statehood, drug epidemic, laissez-faire capitalism, presidents, the constitution, ethnic-diversity, US-ASIA relations, Military culture, etc. So I was wondering how is the Dev team able to make this world feel realistic and American if the script is written in polish and most of the development team is based in Poland? Essentially the script would have to be written by people who have had an outsiders perspective on the American environment.

Cultural disconnect in art sometimes creates some hilarious moments like in Japnese videos games showing Americans as cowboys or Americans showing Europeans as being either snobs or hillside villagers tending to sheep. I was really hoping to enter a believable world but I fear that the cultural disconnect of the writers will make the world feel like a European perspective of America rather than an introspective look at the American dark future.

Jackie is typical Cyberpunk 2020 character using street language all the time bending english with spanish.
They're depicting characters perfectly (Talking about characters we've already seen) because Mike intended them to be stereotypical.

With Mike on board with this project I'm confident about depiction of this world.
Mr Pondsmith sold them rights to do this game merely because they understood this world.

So you shouldn't be worried about that.

I found this article that says everything is written in Polish first.
From July 2019 but the video it references is over an hour long. Quote might not be translated accurately for all I know.
It is translated accurately, I even posted about that in the media thread. Devs specified that the game, just like all The Witcher titles, is written in polish originally, because entire writing team is made of Poles (just like 2/3 of the core team), so forcing them to write the story and dialogues in English first would put them in quite a disadvantage, hindering their creativity in the process. Afterwards the script is translated into English for the rest of the non-polish team.

It's a game, a work of art.
Molly million, Motoko, Trinity, they're all the same "femme fatale, pretty, smart and deadly" milla jovovich cliché that doesn't exists.
And they're all in a Cyberpunk setting.

Deckard is a cliché of the "Noir" depressed detective.

Jaquie is a cliché, sure, but he's a street guy, he'd appear in a GTA game he'd fit in the picture.
Sure, he's over the top, but he convey what he's supposed to do as a charater, some basic traits "friendly, tough guy, you can tell he's latino, etc..."

Look at Robocop and tell me how many dumb cliché there are in it?
The perfect cop, the mean greedy guy in suit, the hypocrites journalists..

Cyberpunk, it's a "imaginary" world, sure, but it's mostly a satire of "what could go wrong if our future would go very wrong", set in a... Cliché futuristic world.

Which is cool IMO, a satire works better with clichés characters, think about Idiocracy etc...

Cyberpunk is a world where some weeaboo starts a gang dressing all as a bunch of anime schoolgirls, some psychos creeps around dressed in clowns, but a dude names Jaquie being a bit too much "latino" would throw the immersion away.

Take it for what it is, a cool ride in a satire pulp movie but made into a game.

5th element was full of caricatural characters, but it was freaking cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom