What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catering to 0.5% of people who might not even buy the game and ruining 99.5% who just want a female/male V seems like a pretty scummy thing.
I'm still hyped for the game but, yeah I'd rather have the traditional male/female.
I think they intend to make it something like Saints Row 4 which allowed you mix and match your character's features such as female voice and male body, but I think that game also had sliders allowing you to really go deeper into costumization.
Given that CP won't have sliders, as far as I'm concerned ( Like Skyrim ) I don't really know how to feel about this.
I've already seen lots of people turning on CDPR in various comments sections in youtube, and even here. Canceling pre-orders etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please avoid:

- political statements
- namecalling and hostility towards other users or groups of people

Otherwise this thread will get locked and further moderator action will be taken against people breaking forum rules.

Guest 3847602

It kinda reminds me of the "legendary Esquilax" from Simpsons:
Yes, on the surface, it does seem like a very dumb way of handling CC, especially if other areas ends up suffering as a result of this decision (like dialogue and banter losing their flavor), but I'll wait and see how it works in practice. It might surprise me.

According to Gamescom interviews with developers you can pretty much build everyone you want with the new CC so I guess there will be sliders.

Well perhaps there's some hope left then, if there are sliders and they didn't remove anything from the game with the push of the new 'genderless' thing. Like if I wanna play a straight male I still have all the dialogue and stuff happening that was initially recorded.
I still have faith in CDPR but we'll have to wait and see, I hope on 30th they will show the new CC in action as well.

Please avoid:

- political statements
- namecalling and hostility towards other users or groups of people

Otherwise this thread will get locked and further moderator action will be taken against people breaking forum rules.
Sorry, my mistake. Didn't think that any parts of my comment would break the rules.

I'd imagine the "genderless" thing was mostly a writing concern to keep recording for the VO to a minumum. As in, avoid referring to V in the third-person using pronouns ("he/she"), and instead say "V". Aside from that, in the second-person, have characters refer to V by name or as "you". Avoid saying "guy/girl". That will be kept for key characters for which it may come into play (like Jackie referring to a female V as "heina" and such, both to endear the character and develop a more intimate relationship. On the other side of the coin, I'd imagine there will be an equally intimate term of endearment shared between Jackie and the male V.)

So, for most characters, they will avoid directly referencing the character's gender simply so that additional hundreds or thousands of hours don't need to be spent in a recording studio ensuring there is a "he" and "she" version of every applicable line of dialogue.

Catering to 0.5% of people who might not even buy the game and ruining 99.5% who just want a female/male V seems like a pretty scummy thing.

I'm confused. Unless I am mistaken, before you would jump in the character generator and select a body type and be assigned the corresponding assumed gender. Now it sounds like you jump into the character generator and select a body type and the gender is not assumed at all. What is getting ruined by this decision?

If you wish to play a male character you would do exactly as you would in the "before" system and play your character as the gender you wish the character to identify with. Female, same deal. The only difference is a person could conceivably choose a male or female body type and play their character as if that character assumed a different gender. So you could play a male or female character who identifies as a different gender. But.... you aren't forced to do so. I just don't see what is being harmed here.

So, for most characters, they will avoid directly referencing the character's gender simply so that additional hundreds or thousands of hours don't need to be spent in a recording studio ensuring there is a "he" and "she" version of every applicable line of dialogue.

Beat me to it :).

Quoting from Rawls' post but not actually quoting him:
Your choices will shape your sexuality. You can also avoid all kind of romances and sex if you want. For example, me as female V, I can be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual and asexual. NPC will have predefined sexuality. Lets say you are hetero and NPC is homosexual, mentioned NPC wont be available option for you. And it's not like you will see npc and first dialog option will be "hey wanna go somewhere quiet and get busy?"
This sounds very good to me. Especially the last bit.

As for the body type selection thing, it's something I've already seen in a game and I think it's a pretty clever concept. Allows male and female but also all sorts of mixes.
I think it especially fits Cyberpunk because of the universe it's set in, since, from what I understand, body modification is an everyday thing.

I've sometimes found myself wanting to create a character who wouldn't be obviously male or female because it's interesting to see what is possible to achieve. But most character generation systems do not allow such characters precisely because one has to choose between male and female before getting to the actual customisation. While not an issue for me, I do like more freedom in that regard.

Looking forward to finding out how the system works in practice. Reading a few details hardly gives a full picture, especially when release is still many months away.

Guest 3573786

I'm still hyped for the game but, yeah I'd rather have the traditional male/female.
I think they intend to make it something like Saints Row 4 which allowed you mix and match your character's features such as female voice and male body, but I think that game also had sliders allowing you to really go deeper into costumization.
Given that CP won't have sliders, as far as I'm concerned ( Like Skyrim ) I don't really know how to feel about this.
I've already seen lots of people turning on CDPR in various comments sections in youtube, and even here. Canceling pre-orders etc.
Stuff like this is why I never pre-order. I wonder if cdpr is aware of Ion Fury.

Not sure I understand how removing options for the overwhelming majority of players if being more inclusive. Reminds of the "more immersive" statement for fpp, which fails to acknowledge different people find different things immersive. And like there, nobody would complain if the game just got additional options on top of the ones already there.

Never thought I'd be reconsidering buying the game, but here we are...

Stuff like this is why I never pre-order. I wonder if cdpr is aware of Ion Fury.

Not sure I understand how removing options for the overwhelming majority of players if being more inclusive. Reminds of the "more immersive" statement for fpp, which fails to acknowledge different people find different things immersive. And like there, nobody would complain if the game just got additional options on top of the ones already there.

Never thought I'd be reconsidering buying the game, but here we are...

that is a whole bunch of assumptions based on some one elses discription of something.

Guest 3573786

that is a whole bunch of assumptions based on some one elses discription of something.
The only thing that can be classified as an assumption there is the "nobody would complain" part. And sure, I don't know that with 100% certainty.

While choosing sex of your character in character creation screen is nice feature and it is enabled to make proper male or female body I am generally ok with general idea. Problem goes when people make irelevant stuff explode into "huge disasters" I mean I am making mine story and as long as I can stay immersed in it properly I am fine with it.
Witcher story was great one but that was Geralt story and I immersed in his role, here V is mine character and I wanna fully immerse in it not to be limited with choices.
I guess first person camera will help on immersion but what about inventory model, we do not wanna look at puppet that look same for both gender.

Not sure I understand how removing options for the overwhelming majority of players if being more inclusive.

Except you're not losing options. The difference is gender won't be tied to sex. Yes, technically speaking these are defined as different things (look it up). The only removed item is the implied correlation between the two. The number of options themselves would be higher.

I think part of the confusion over this complete non-issue is people are unaware of this fact. It's kind of like vegan vs vegetarian. It's easy to lump the two together and refer to them interchangeably if you're unaware they're actually different concepts altogether.

How the dialogue is going to work?
Are they going through hundreds of pages of dialogue to see if there are any she/her or he/him references and they remove them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom