Cyberpunk 2077 – Deep Dive Video

+
There were suspiciously few options here. Not sure what the deal was. I think I counted maybe 5 hairstyles for male V? And 4 options for most of the other face options. Seemed to be a lot of beards, though.

I honestly have NO idea what to make of that character creation system. At first glance it looked awesome, but repeat viewings just confuse me.

EDIT: Side note, not directed at you, but in general -- what spoilers, exactly, did they avoid? I was just chatting about this with a friend. The only thing I think they avoided by editing the video down was the Alt Cunningham face and relationship with Johnny. Otherwise... what am I missing?
There was a character sheet in the first gameplay trailer where we could enter details about our character like real name biographie and all that stuff....like in a pen and paper rpg

1567198761888.png

what are assassination and nerve?
blades: is that a full skill branch JUST for mantis blades (swords seem to be under melee)? It looks a lot for an optional cyberware. Or... it's not that optional.
two-handed: are those heavy melee weapons? So we have 3 branches for melee (blades, melee, two-handed)?

Presumably persuasion, seduction, stuff like that. Lockpicking, pickpocketing, geology (lol), theres lots of things you could have.

Some make less sense in a Cyberpunk game, and a CDPR game, than others, though. I'd at least have liked to see social skills of some kind.
Geology lol. Yeah I see.
Social skills like intimidation or seduction are most likely present in the game but in the form of scripted dialogue unfortunately.

Not going to bore you with my opinion on every little thing, but I'll say it's exactly what I expected based on CDPR's previous body of work. Exciting world, great attention to detail, beautiful to look at, writing, acting and branched storytelling that creates faint illustion of reactive world. Battle/environment only skills aren't surprising one bit. Because the priority was laid ages ago: story > action > RPG.

Anyway, can't wait to experience it.
This is why I do not share in the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the game that you're bound to see every now and then. It actually looks better than I expected — it's not like TW3 had a good progression system, distinct builds, or non-lethal gameplay. And the combat, driving, and so on were always going to be just okay at best, as with pretty much every other story-driven RPG out there.

View attachment 11013845

what are assassination and nerve?
blades: is that a full skill branch JUST for mantis blades (swords seem to be under melee)? It looks a lot for an optional cyberware. Or... it's not that optional.
two-handed: are those heavy melee weapons? So we have 3 branches for melee (blades, melee, two-handed)?

Assassination might be tied to stealth/sneaking level and takedowns? And nerve is "how well you perform under pressure" whatever that means

My feedback:

• This Rockstar’s style cut video doesn’t work for cyberpunk: it’s fine for GTA or RDR because you know already what to expect, but cyberpunk is a new game with deep RPG systems which need proper explaination. You don’t understand much from this video, last year’s demo was perfect. It’s quite clear that you wanted to hide what was criticized during E3 and Gamescom. The post-demo commentary provided very few new info, we already knew almost everything from the last 2 months of interviews.
  • Driving: no idea if it’s good or bad, it was not shown, but driving in FPP would be much easier if it had something that is already in development in real life: augmented reality windshield. It would make perfect sense in cyberpunk and you could use an eye implant as well. So we don’t get distracted to watch the map while driving. We saw it in several games already, just copy it!
  • Contextual animations: what was shown was excellent, easy repeatable stuff that maximize immersion and doesn’t slow the game’s pace. The question is: do we have them for picking itmes up and interacting with keypads to open doors, use elevators and alike? In 2018 the answer was no, it would be great if you decide to add a couple of them.
  • Melee and shooting: it doesn’t look bad, but since everybody complained it would be better to see some uncut video, again, you’re hiding too much stuff. I understand you want to improve them before release, but hiding it's not that encouraging from gamers' point of view. It's like bethesda refusing to give review codes before release: you know they want to hide their smelly shit.
  • Sasquatch is a bullet sponge without having any shield or armor. That’s not good design. Royce had his explaination, sasquatch doesn't. But I like the boss fight has 2 phases.
  • Talking about bullet sponges: we don’t know what happens when you meet an high level enemy and THIS.IS.SCARY. We don’t want to see a bazooka dealing no damage only because the little number on enemy’s head says “too high for you”.
  • Lifepath: you added a short description. This is good. Obvious feedback from last year, but you got it. Bravo.
  • Progression system: demo didn’t clarify anything. Journalists say they saw +X% DMG to bullets during the hands-off. That’s terrible. Please reconsider if you can.
  • Demo didn’t point out on the “QTE” with Placide when he grabs V’s hand. That’s a great thing and should have got more highlights, the interactive scene system is not clear from this video. Good thing we have the old demo as well.
  • Loot/gear etc: I LOVE that you guys are keeping in mind the conflicts between gear and look as miles tost said. Please please PLEASE be brave and do it properly without going for the easy classic RPG way. You have the chance to give set the new bar with a fresh immersive system, you are the only ones who can do it. We can’t expect Ubisoft to be a game changer, c’mon. ;) Gear desn’t have levels so far which is excellent! Regarding that, just for little flavour, you could consider better descriptors for gear than epic/legendary. It doesn’t take development time, doesn’t it?
  • Weapon modding sounds how it’s supposed to be. I have good vibes.
  • I love how you made mike pondsmith talk about gangs after the racism accusations (and his answer on reddit)
  • Character creation: I hope you can modify body details or at least choose body type (skinny, normal, muscular, fat). A brief description of stats and what they do would help since respeccing could not be behind the corner.
  • I like that netrunning is a mini-game, I hope it gets easier with stat (INT) instead of being hard gated by it.
  • Crafting is still not clear: what can you do and how you do it?
I'm so with you on that one. Always thought of myself to be CDPR fanboy but they really disappointed me with this one.
They're calling this presentation DEEP DIVE while giving us minimum of new informations or gameplay mechanics.
Everything you stated in your comment should appear in todays gameplay.

I loved the video, the team is creating something very detailed and rich once again, it just needs to focus on some things till the release, if you guys manage to get these things out the way the game will truly be the Cyberpunk game that most of us see in our heads, so here we go, this is my critique/feedback for you:

Okay so CDPR, in the next 8 months please improve on your animations - 1. Gunplay animations need more style, character to them, check out the new COD game, new DOOM and also the Metro games (observe where the gun is held - more towards the corner of the screen, not so to the center and the animations when running and aiming, there's motion, inertia and a feeling of weight to them and then add style, lots of cyberpunk style to them, like playing around with your guns and equipment, it will add so much character and increase your KPI through the roof!. 2. Animations of the character and their transitions, the characters can move very robotic(not very human, need more mo-cap animations, *check out motion matching technology also), they sometimes have a sort of jarring snappy movement which looks very unnatural and lastly work on fixing their facial expression when idle, they have this very dead stare when idle, try to add a story behind their eyes.

I also want CDPR to up their interview game. Please stop repeating the same stuff over and over. .

I think the problem here is CDPR is sending the same devs out to do multiple interviews on a game that's still deep in development. There's simply a lot they can't talk about when stuff isn't fully designed. And in a team of 400, there's a lot they don't know as well. The same thing happened with TW3's PR campaign, but it wasn't nearly as bad because the game was more complete when they showed/discussed it. Here my impression is that core parts of the game are still unfinished.

I think the problem here is CDPR is sending the same devs out to do multiple interviews on a game that's still deep in development. There's simply a lot they can't talk about when stuff isn't fully designed. And in a team of 400, there's a lot they don't know as well. The same thing happened with TW3's PR campaign, but it wasn't nearly as bad because the game was more complete when they showed/discussed it. Here my impression is that core parts of the game are still unfinished.
That's a very fair point.

Guest 3573786

Wellp, this just confirmed several of my suspicions so I'm gonna move the game to the "wait for a sale" category.

On a more positive note, the netrunner gimmicks look really interesting and varied. Almost makes me wanna forgo the run and gun route :eek:

A shame you screwed the whole character info screen where we could personalize our character.I thought it gets more improved not limited....
Yo name buddy:)They are still working on the character creator so they can bring it back it’s all a subject to change thing

So you ask ... what did the resident RPG purist think of the Deep Dive ... glad you asked.

1:35 - It may be they're using the default UI (because it's always the same throughout the Dive), but I REALLY hope you can move/resize/toggle UI elements.

4:31 - We see a Samauri jacket and a Hoodie with the exact same stats, GREAT! You aren't restricted to a single appearance (in terms of clothing) if you want gear stats. The question is, cost? Is it a choice between looking good or buying a better weapon because you can't afford both? Then again ... style over substance!

7:30 - Lifepath (such as it is) gives you three options; Nomad, Street, or Corpo; it's been mentioned this will effect various dialog options and possible courses of action throughout the game. This is as close to social/persuasive skills as CP2077 gets. As a video game with no GM to deal with such things on the fly I fully see the need to restrict such options.

7:48 - We finally see the character appearance creation system. Since you apparently don't get to select an overall ethnic background we're left to assume the various facial feature options will permit say an Asian vs Caucasian appearance.

7:50 and 7:54 - At 7:50 we apparently see character creation, you have a total of 22 attribute points to distribute, at 7:54 we see a level 18 'V' with 33 attribute points. How these are gained we don't know. Presumably a combination of some sort of attribute point gain and cyberware. The question is, we have no clue how much attribute gain is possible, and if each individual attribute has the potential for the same amount of total improvement (i.e. it may be possible to gain +4 Reflexes throughout the game but only +1 Cool). It's obviously not +1 per level since at lev 18 'V' would have 39 attribute points yet has only 33.

7:53 - Another look at the inventory system. At a guess we have 2-4 (only two are filled) cyberware slots, 4-6 clothing ones (two appear unfilled: hat? face?), 3 quick access weapons, and an unknown number of "Pockets" (presumably quick access) slots. Note that inventory can be sorted by "All Items", "New Items", and "Heavy Items"; this implies some sort of weight limit to how much you can carry; so Body may not be a total dump stat for non-Solo builds (more on this later).

7:54 - We see the "Attributes"/"Perks" system:
Reflexes - Handguns, Rifles, Blades.
Cool - Assassination, Nerve, Sniper Rifles.
Technical - Engineering.
Body - Melee, Athletics, Shotguns, Two-Handed.
Intelligence - Hacking.
Apparently each specific skill has perks, which have levels, associated with them. How we gain new perks is unknown but it's been hinted that some are available via meeting NPCs who apparently act as trainers. At 7:59 they mouse over "Hacking 1" which apparently has 2 perk points (levels) allocated to it, this presumably permits the use of more advance programs and/or improves the chance of success at using the skill. We're told that using skills gradually gives the associated perks higher levels.

8:00 - Overall analysis/assumptions (yes, assumptions!) on the Attribute/Skill/Perk system.
Reflexes - If you're not a Solo (or guns blazing) build you can apparently ignore this as it's focused around an FPS play-style.
Cool - May be of some use to all characters for "Nerve" and maybe, MAYBE, Assassination and Sniper have some effect on Smart Weapons (but probably not).
Technical - Primarily for those that want to use "Flathead" (the spiderbot pet) and can probably be ignored if you don't plan to use it.
Body - For the melee vs firearms build. It can probably be ignored by non action-game players.
Intelligence - If you go full-out Solo or Techie (or some combination of the two) you can probably pretty much ignore this.
We have no clue what the level cap in CP2077 is but it was mentioned that about midway thru the game 'V' was lev 18 so we can assume around 30ish (presuming you level slower in the last half of the game then you did in the beginning). So you can forget it if you think you're going to be able to "do it all", because at lev 18 'V' has only a handful of perks unlocked.

9:38 - Perfect example of FPS/"twitch" gameplay, hit the small moving target (Sasquatch's "juice" injector). How this will work with smartweapons is totally unknown since they supposedly eliminate the need for "twitch" gameplay. How the hell do you hit a small moving target with one? Is there some option to "lock on" to a specific target?

10:27 - THANK THE GODS hacking isn't some QTE! Presumably the number of perks you've unlocked in Hacking and/or the total perk points in the skill determines how many options you have available when hacking. ((I can already hear the "Hard Gate" crowd grinding their teeth.))

====================

Overall very imformative, but there are still fundamental gameplay questions I've been asking for (literally) years unanswered.

I do know, that since I personally have physical limitations playing CP2077 as a Solo is completely out of the question.

Last edited:
Yo name buddy:)They are still working on the character creator so they can bring it back it’s all a subject to change thing
Yeah maybe or they are against in that level of freedom....it’s just picking a life path pick a few skins and attributes....that’s not character creation more character customization

Sasquatch is a bullet sponge without having any shield or armor. That’s not good design. Royce had his explaination, sasquatch doesn't. But I like the boss fight has 2 phases.

Talking about bullet sponges: we don’t know what happens when you meet an high level enemy and THIS.IS.SCARY. We don’t want to see a bazooka dealing no damage only because the little number on enemy’s head says “too high for you”.
Like it or not bullet sponges is the way CDPR is going.
Pity, one of CP2020's main strengths was it's realistic combat.

This also applies to comment made during the Q&A that as you use a weapon more the bullets fly faster (WTF?!?) and deal more damage. I guess we're just stuck with video game tropes.

Man does the gunplay look laughably weak, wimpy and bad. The people complaining about the gunplay being shitty back at E3 weren't lying. Boderline zero recoil, weak airsoft gun sounds and lack of bullet impact/gore. Even Fallout 4 which had average gunplay looks miles better than this ass demo.

Last edited:
7:54 - We see the "Attributes"/"Perks" system:
Reflexes - Handguns, Rifles, Blades.
Cool - Assassination, Nerve, Sniper Rifles.
Technical - Engineering.
Body - Melee, Athletics, Shotguns, Two-Handed.
Intelligence - Hacking.
I wish there were more non-combat skills. Techie and Netrunner builds appear to be limited to prioritizing the relevant stats and maxing the Technical or Hacking skill tree, respectively. I'm sure gear and augments will provide additional customization in that regard, but I do think this makes the Solo/Techie/Netrunner trio they've been talking about somewhat misleading. The actual character sheet leans heavily towards Solo options.

AFTER seeing that, all I can say is WHAT THE FUDGE was Rock Paper Shotgun thinking when they called out Cyberpunk 2077 for having racist undertones specifically with the Animal gang. I saw not a single f-ing thing that may imply it.

AFTER seeing that, all I can say is WHAT THE FUDGE was Rock Paper Shotgun thinking when they called out Cyberpunk 2077 for having racist undertones specifically with the Animal gang. I saw not a single f-ing thing that may imply it.
That particular instance appears to have been a bit of a moral panic, but I can't say I blame them too much in light of CDPR's history. Up until Hearts of Stone, the only nonwhite character in their games was a racist caricature worthy of old man Robert E. Howard himself. If they are in fact working with actual Haitians throughout development, as they claim, matters should turn out much better this time around.

I wish there were more non-combat skills. Techie and Netrunner builds appear to be limited to prioritizing the relevant stats and maxing the Technical or Hacking skill tree, respectively. I'm sure gear and augments will provide additional customization in that regard, but I do think this makes the Solo/Techie/Netrunner trio they've been talking about somewhat misleading. The actual character sheet leans heavily towards Solo options.
I've been saying ever since the 2018 gameplay demo CP2077 is a shooter first and foremost, with RPG elements tacked on. But it seems there may be sufficient RPG elements tacked on to make it more then a shooter.

Top Bottom