Arena isn't arena anymore

+
Did you [ . . . ] forgot WHY the leader choice was at the end? cause i'm fairly sure it wasn't due to a coin flip
I know a lot of people asked for this, because you can make better decks if you choose your leader first, but the tendency is to recreate ladder decks. If you get a Meve choice at the start of your draft then obviously you'll go for a heavy engine deck with boost synergies. If people had the option to bring their meta decks into arena, they would and guess what, those decks would be better. The whole point of the arena is to be DIFFERENT, not BETTER.
Right now arena is just ranked mode lite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is, despite what I wrote in some other thread not too long ago, some limit to what is "good" randomness in the Arena.

Being able to choose the Leader beforehand helps to build a viable deck, yes, but it's still a huge RNGfest to get cards that really work or synergise with the Leader you choose. Or with each other, for that matter.

The way it is now, Arena is kind of like being a Leader and building your army from the eager recruits that show up. Which, to me, makes more sense than building an army and then choosing its commander from among the eager candidates that show up -- some of whom might have zero "compatibility" with the assembled army thus forcing you to pick the least useless candidate.

That being said, I can see where you're coming from -- I just don't agree.

If you want a good synergy between leader and your deck, go play ranked.

There is a difference between good synergy, good value and no value at all. For example, Meve is still a good value leader, even if you don't get any boost-synergy cards. On the other hand, Unseen Elder requires Deathwish units otherwise it's a dead leader, same how Eldain requires Traps. And with the introduction of Syndicate, we've gotten even more leaders which can have zero value. This isn't fair or fun. That's why the alternative is vastly better.

There is a difference between good synergy, good value and no value at all. For example, Meve is still a good value leader, even if you don't get any boost-synergy cards. On the other hand, Unseen Elder requires Deathwish units otherwise it's a dead leader, same how Eldain requires Traps. And with the introduction of Syndicate, we've gotten even more leaders which can have zero value. This isn't fair or fun. That's why the alternative is vastly better.

We can never have the same opinion here, because for some arena is an alternative mode, where surprise is more important, others want a viable deck in all cases. For me arena was more fun before, even if there was the risk of a non-viable deck. That some leaders could have zero value was a pro for me. I played arena when the mighty leaders that everyone plays in ranked got on my nerves. But that's life. I'm unhappy with a lot of aspects of the last update, others are pleased.

This is good news. If they keep going in the dirction of making arena actually competitive I will play it again someday.

We can never have the same opinion here [...] For me arena was more fun before, even if there was the risk of a non-viable deck.

Well, if you don't mind playing with a zero value leader against other opponents who high-rolled leaders, like Meve, then, yes, we can agree to disagree.

Well, if you don't mind playing with a zero value leader against other opponents who high-rolled leaders, like Meve, then, yes, we can agree to disagree.

Indeed, I don't mind having bad luck and loosing, maybe that is because I'm old :shrug:

I have to actually agree with OP here. Many have definitley played arena as a nice&fun alternative to built gamemodes. Decks are much less random when choosing leader first.

And yes downside is that occasionally you get weaker leader but that just adds more to what to think about when you build. Maybe you pick some units with fee instead of a better card just in case you find only SY leaders (actually happened to me once and ended up getting 9 wins with that deck)

The arena is in rough shape now considering that now a ton of people use the dwarf that can move units which is probably the most OP leader/ability for the arena.

The old arena was way better.

The arena is in rough shape now considering that now a ton of people use the dwarf that can move units which is probably the most OP leader/ability for the arena.

So, tell me, did the pick ratio of the mentioned leader increase so you see it more in the arena? If not there is absolutely zero reasons you would see him more now, I'd say you wuld see him a bit less, since if you saw him before, after you picked your deck, he was insta picked. Now someone might ought to try some combos with other leaders instead of picking him.

Please start using logical arguments if you want to argue about this change, almost every complain in this thread makes no sense...

Nope, i definitely think new arena is better. It doesn't make sense to create a totally random deck without knowing your leader. At least for me.

Decks are not so random anymore, I miss the surprise effect.

Arena decks were not more random, they were more generic. The intro to arena even recommended that you pick generally good cards rather than going for synergy. The game is still "random" because you're choosing 1 out of 4 random cards 25 times. Just because SY leaders, Unseen Elder, Dana, Morvran, etc aren't 0 point leaders anymore doesn't make it less random.
Post automatically merged:

I agree with Smradd here. I used to pick Brouver almost by default in old arena because he was so versatile that I didn't need to worry about synergy. He would always do something helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom