FPP only cutscenes might be a deal-breaker for me

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I will say, I really really liked what I saw of the TPP cutscenes in the 2018 demo. I thought they were attractive, well-shot, and showcased some really cool stuff, like V's glowing eyes
Same for me. Quick little TPP cutscenes like this that smoothly transition back to FPP don't pull me out of a game. If anything I feel more immersed since I get to see my character how I spec'd and outfitted them, plus their nuanced expressions based on the type of character I want to play.

Say I've received a mission that will take me into an enemy stronghold, and I've been playing a Solo type character. To prepare for the mission I upgrade my armor and outfit, visit a Ripper Doc and install cyberware that replaces my eyes with more advanced targeting which turns them red as a result. I WANT to see my badass self step off an elevator into an enemy controlled building ready to wreck some shit. That to me is more immersive.

I need to see this to make an impression for myself. I'm OK with FPP dialogues shown till now but I also think that the small level of cut scenes present in the first reveal was fine. Also, I just cannot imagine how CDPR could make the more "personal" interactions look good in FPP.

Bottom line - if CDPR manages to make everything just flow smoothly and to feel natural, then I don't care if TPP is completely gone from the game.

Last edited:
I really had no problem with the game being FPP mainly, even though I prefer TPP in RPGs, but what on earth made them come up with the decision to have all cutscenes be FPP too? One of the most fun things in RPGs for me and many other is character customization and seeing that customization in the game/cutscenes. Seems to me, that change makes the entirety of character customization completely pointless (as it did in Far Cry 5 for example). I'm sorry, I love CDPR and I was hyped af for this game, but this one change has really put a huge damper on my hype. I'm actually worried now that it will be the biggest disappointment in my over 20 years of playing video games...

Nah, love the Half Life-esque level of immersion where I'm always me in the game and cannot magically have an out of body experience everytime something happens... Just like in real life, I don't care about constantly seeing myself. That's why you'll basically never find any selfies from me, lol. But that's just personal preference.

One thing that the Cyberpunk 2077 subreddit pointed out was that according to journalists who saw the entire 50 minute playthrough of the Pacifica mission during E3, there were a few small TPP cutscenes. It seems odd that CDPR would remove them now, at least allegedly according to the response from the employee on Facebook.

If indeed they are dropping all TPP cutscenes, that says to me it's not a creative decision but a financial or deadline related decision since these scenes are in the latest build shown of the game but edited out of the condensed Deep Dive video.

I really had no problem with the game being FPP mainly, even though I prefer TPP in RPGs, but what on earth made them come up with the decision to have all cutscenes be FPP too? One of the most fun things in RPGs for me and many other is character customization and seeing that customization in the game/cutscenes. Seems to me, that change makes the entirety of character customization completely pointless (as it did in Far Cry 5 for example). I'm sorry, I love CDPR and I was hyped af for this game, but this one change has really put a huge damper on my hype. I'm actually worried now that it will be the biggest disappointment in my over 20 years of playing video games...

While I dont agree it will be the biggest disappointment in 20 years (i think Anthem stole that crown) this did make me decide to cancel mt preorder and wait for a sale instead. I cannot feel connected or immersed in my character if i never *see* them except in "mirrors". It completely ruins the experience of an RPG for me.

So yeah, i know it doesnt matter as im a drop in the ocean, but this unnecessary change has gotten you one less drop CDPR. I was already upset about the initial TPP decision, but this just sealed the deal for me. Ill get the game second hand or something. But this decision cost you at least one sale.
Post automatically merged:

Whow, calm down people. Read this calming story: Sometimes I have to buy flowers. You know, just to give them someone as a present. One time, I watched the florist making the bouquet and while she was in the middle of it, I thought: That doesn't look good, I can't give someone that thing as a gift. Should I say something? But as time went on, it all came together and her first steps now made sense to me as groundwork for something I couldn't imagine, because I had never seen anything like it before. And I thought, well, she's been doing this a long time, so thank God I didn't intervene.
So, I think the people at CDPR are not dumb or ignorant, they have been doing this for a long time. And when they are convinced, this is the best way, I trust them and wait for the finished product. I am looking forward to that immersive dialogue, where my options expand when I look around and see something special. It's the perfect simulation of pen & paper RPGs, where you also have to constantly look around and interact with the world. It could be great, so don't rage so much. Let's discuss this.

What's there to discuss? CdPR forced a decision after plenty of people already voiced their concerns. Those people are now unhappy because this is not an optional thing (which honestly it really should be that would have saved all this) so now people are not feeling it will be an RPG but more like a doom game or something. FPP is not good for cinematic story telling.

Last edited:
Most of all this is just opinions, no way is better than the other.
However there are some who hold the majority of opinions and what I'm guessing from what I see from here and other forums is people want some sort of TPP that isn't just a mirror or something.

I quite enjoy TPP RPG rather than anything FPP.
If there is at least the option for either perspective for cut-scenes then that would be awesome. However, now I'm wondering what other changes will be made :shrug:

However there are some who hold the majority of opinions and what I'm guessing from what I see from here and other forums is people want some sort of TPP that isn't just a mirror or something.

If there is at least the option for either perspective for cut-scenes then that would be awesome. However, now I'm wondering what other changes will be made :shrug:
Nah, I think that those who do not have problems with this thing very simply have nothing to say

Personal interactions in FPP could be good, but I would expect or prefer something different depending on the situation. A quick shot of the backside of a Street Queen or King you picked up, sure, walk into the Strip-Club, fine, but if like hypothetically, if I've spent half or more of the game romancing, dating and getting to know Jackie or that Corpo babe or somebody like that, for example, I expect a little more nuance you can't quite convey in FPP.

As for other cut scenes and interactions I would much prefer a better mix, you fall and catch yourself in FPP sure. If you meet someone for the first time or encounter an important story beat I'd like to see what my character's face is doing.

Witcher 3 has 13 hours of main story! tpp cutscenes and it was the most immersive game I ever played. I don't buy any immersion related justification for the removal of tpp cutscenes. I think it's a huge mistake to get rid of tpp cutscenes. Considering how important the character creation is for many people and they want to see their character from time to time after they spent a lot of time making their dream PC, I find this decision (if true) even more incomprehensible.
It's sad that every news I hear about the game in the last months, makes me want to play the game less.

I just keep finding myself wishing somebody from CPDR would start answering some of these frankly important questions, clarifying the body type confusion and the FPP stuff in particular. Like I'm not sure that they did not fake those screenshots of DMs, nor do I have any reason to believe they were fakes. They're just staying silent, working hard, but letting their reputation, and a lot of confused fans run with whatever they want or don't want to believe which ever elicits the more powerful emotional response. I don't want to get the game on release and find out they were B.S. or not faked, or whatever. It's to a point where I would highly advise and recommend people cancel preorders and don't preorder and wait for release just know what the chrome-sucking truth is on this stuff. It's really infuriating. I mean the body type debate has been going on for months and was only just reignited by the interview! Go to the steam forums and go back, they were locking, merging, deleting threads, sometimes banning people it was getting so heated. All thanks to their lack of communication.
Lack of communication is a problem common to this industry but I keep thinking to RDR2 on that.
RDR2 had the biggest opening weekend in entertainment history. It had two genders, one body type to chose from, one named character to play as, it was TPP, and one of the most immersive games I've ever played. There are several parallel threads to draw from that to apply with the 2077 debates going on, but the only one worth articulating is that Red Dead 2 was predictable, everyone knew what they were getting. GTA with horses in anachronistic cowboy times. This was also true for the Witcher 3 thanks to the previous two games and books. We do not know what to expect from 2077 aside from what they tell us, what they’ve shown and what the name and franchise implies. That is why more communication is vitally important for CDPR now more so than ever before.

What's there to discuss? [...] FPP is not good for cinematic story telling.

Well, your last sentence is a good discussion starter. Should video games always strive to imitate "cinematic" experiences? Or maybe they should try something like Pen & Paper RPGs? By the way, Half-Life 1 & 2 are always praised for their FPP storytelling qualities... So, discussion?

IMO, we should be prepared for the fact that CP2077 may not be such a huge hit as TW3.
I have an impression that CP2077 will be a good game, but not a super great one - something like Fallout 4.
Fallout 4 was a decent, well rated game, but it also had a lot of disadvantages.
We should just be prepared for the fact that Cyberpunk may be a 8/10 game like F4 rather than a 10/10 game like TW3.
We all had a huge expectations for CP2077 and probably these expectations where to big for CDPR to handle.

Either way, the game will definitely be a good and solid RPG. I keep my fingers crossed for the CDPR developers :)

Well, your last sentence is a good discussion starter. Should video games always strive to imitate "cinematic" experiences? Or maybe they should try something like Pen & Paper RPGs? By the way, Half-Life 1 & 2 are always praised for their FPP storytelling qualities... So, discussion?

Was precisely what they addressed from the very beginning. That they're not striving for a cinematic, movie-like experience with this game. On the contrary, they aim to put you in the shoes of the character, visually and emotionally while giving you the freedom to act and solve problems as you wish. Nothing's changed.

There are several parallel threads to draw from that to apply with the 2077 debates going on, but the only one worth articulating is that Red Dead 2 was predictable, everyone knew what they were getting. GTA with horses in anachronistic cowboy times. This was also true for the Witcher 3 thanks to the previous two games and books. We do not know what to expect from 2077 aside from what they tell us, what they’ve shown and what the name and franchise implies.
Sure we do...Cyberpunk 2077, on its current course, looks to be the next logical evolution of Deus Ex. Expect no more than this and you won't be disappointed.

TPP cutscenes in 48 minute demo were just a minute long(elevator and V's house scene.) I mean, it is not that big problem..

HEY CDPR TEAM IF YOU READ IT!
Why not to introduce an option, where you press a button on the controller or keyboard and then you can see your character from 3rd person perspective- this option would work only when you are not in combat mode - you can not move your character at all, but you can rotate the camera, zoom it to see all your character details. A very simple solution and millions of players would be delighted: D

People here and on reddit were making a lot of noise about the decision to not include TPP mode, but when someone started petition for the change, it fall short of it's goal, because outside of that vocal minority no one really cared. It won't be any different this time around, of that I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom