FPP only cutscenes might be a deal-breaker for me

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was precisely what they addressed from the very beginning. That they're not striving for a cinematic, movie-like experience with this game. On the contrary, they aim to put you in the shoes of the character, visually and emotionally while giving you the freedom to act and solve problems as you wish. Nothing's changed.

Well I cant be emotionally invested in my character where i never see them expressing emotion themselves and instead just being a camera. This "completely immersed" excuse is highly subjective has the opposite effect of immersion for a lot of people, including me. The farcry series is a great example. I never cared about my character in those games, i just cared about the NPCs. My character was just a camera for them to perform infront of. The demos we have seen of CP77 have not shown this game to be any different in that regard.

Well I cant be emotionally invested in my character where i never see them expressing emotion themselves and instead just being a camera. This "completely immersed" excuse is highly subjective has the opposite effect of immersion for a lot of people, including me. The farcry series is a great example. I never cared about my character in those games, i just cared about the NPCs. My character was just a camera for them to perform infront of. The demos we have seen of CP77 have not shown this game to be any different in that regard.

I honestly really want to like V since they really seem to be there own person rather than that sort of blank slate you get in RPGs. I would want to care about them as much as any NPC and I hope the immersion they are striving for makes me really feel for V, with FPP. Yet I'm just not sure that it could be fully possible, if so though, that would be pretty amazing.

Again, nothing's changed folks. TPP scenes, even though there are some in the game, were never an integral part of the design and were never advertised as such. Remember the Interactive Scene System ( here's a small thread with lots of info about in the OP: Interactive Scene System ) they're doing? That relies entirely on the first person perspective for its effectiveness in "cutscenes" or, more specifically, dialogues.

So what is the point of it being a videogame if they're trying to immulate the PnP RPG so much with its choices? Whats the point of seeing anything, or caring anout anything, if we never see the character we're supposedly affecting with the decisions? It just feels like V is a puppet, not a living character, especially if we cant see him/her. i mean, they aren't using my voice, so its clearly not "me". Its a character. If you want it to feel more immersive you would remove the spoken dialogue of our character and let us pick options like Elder Scrolls or something. Then at least we can imprint our own words into our choices. Here though, because they speak, it just feels like we're watching through someones glasses or something, not actually playing our own character.
Post automatically merged:

Also lets not forget, sex scenes are FPP... so its really just gonna be an awkward closeup of some strangers face convulsing and grunting.

Not my idea of a fun scene in a videogame.

Last edited:
People here and on reddit were making a lot of noise about the decision to not include TPP mode, but when someone started petition for the change, it fall short of it's goal, because outside of that vocal minority no one really cared. It won't be any different this time around, of that I'm sure.

I think your conclusions are probably flawed in that there are a number of reasons a person may not sign a petition other than disagreeing with the POV of the people who created it.

For starters most players probably never heard of the petition, even if they'd prefer there were some TPP cutscenes. Until seeing it mentioned in this thread I fell into that group. Second, I'm sure even some of those who do know the petition exists aren't signing it because they recognize that it is rather pointless. CD Projekt Red already knows that this is getting a negative reaction here, Reddit, Era, ect. A petition isn't going to bring anything to light that they already don't know, and isn't going to make a shred of difference in whether CDPR incudes cutscenes or not. Finally, when there are much more pressing issues in the world than a video game not having cutscenes people organizing to sign a petition for change seems rather silly. (I also fall into both of those groups)

And? Is there some sort of convention for not showing in-game characters on promotional materials for FPP focused games?

If there is, many MANY games and devs didn't get the memo. Doom, Deus Ex, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Battlefront, Borderlands, the list goes on.

You can call it whatever you want but buying or forming an opinion about a game from one thumbnail isn't going to end well, and it's not like that's what was asked of anyone.

So you are saying here that V is a pre-created character, NOT us, yet earlier you were saying you want us to be as immersed and in the game as possible, to feel like WE are the character... you know those two things dont really mix right? Im pretty sure no one felt like they "were" geralt in the witcher. If V is a poster character for your game, then they are pre-established and therefore not the player. Begging the question more of what is the point of the FPP and character customization if you have a poster character? And we never see that character except for the odd-ball mirror or bike driving segment? Immersion is not systematically tied to FPP. The success of Witcher and games like Deus Ex are proof of that.

My impression, assuming this decision wasn't made due to technical constraints, is that it is catering to the self-insert players that want the protagonist to be them in the game world. How many players actually play their RPGs like that, though?

I know I never viewed Geralt, Commander Shepard, DA:O's Warden, or DA:I's Inquisitor as "me." Playing as yourself sounds rather boring, because every protagonist in every RPG would have the same moral outlook and motivations.

I think this game will bring us all back down to earth that was hyping this game up (including me) if the game continues on this path I don’t see It doing very well, not on the levels of TW3. You can’t piss off your customers and expect them to support you, which is what’s happening here. I’m probably a fanboy of Microsoft because I only have an Xbox but this reminds me of how poor Xbox’s messaging is and CD is doing the exact same thing. We don’t know what they’re doing with TPP cutscenes or body types or the character creator. They need to come out and say something because all they’re doing is confusing people. Ask Xbox how well that went

My impression, assuming this decision wasn't made due to technical constraints, is that it is catering to the self-insert players that want the protagonist to be them in the game world. How many players actually play their RPGs like that, though?

I know I never viewed Geralt, Commander Shepard, DA:O's Warden, or DA:I's Inquisitor as "me." Playing as yourself sounds rather boring, because every protagonist in every RPG would have the same moral outlook and motivations.

See its funny you mention DA:Origins because in that game I did self-insert into it - but not because of the camera (which was TPP for those wondering) but because my character didnt talk. So i read the lines with my own voice in my head. For me that helped me think of the character as me because he *sounded* like me in my head. The newer games that have a voice... they prove to me that giving a character voice immediately establishes them as a certain character, despite what customizations you make. V in cyberpunk is no different. They have voice lines with a certain cadence and tone to them, making them their own character. It is impossible to self insert because the xhances of them sharing the same cadence for a situation that you may have EVERY TIME is near impossible.

I think this game will bring us all back down to earth that was hyping this game up (including me) if the game continues on this path I don’t see It doing very well, not on the levels of TW3. You can’t piss off your customers and expect them to support you, which is what’s happening here. I’m probably a fanboy of Microsoft because I only have an Xbox but this reminds me of how poor Xbox’s messaging is and CD is doing the exact same thing. We don’t know what they’re doing with TPP cutscenes or body types or the character creator. They need to come out and say something because all they’re doing is confusing people. Ask Xbox how well that went
Didnt you post this already?
Post automatically merged:

Nope, it means V isn't quite like the player, doesn't think or react quite like the player, so no, V isn't the player.
V is V, the same as Geralt is Geralt.
So if they're their own character why are they trying to push FPP as a form of immersion for a character that clearly isnt our own? How is it not jarring to basically be in someone else's head?

Another thing that bothers me is that we will never see V's emotions.
One of the most emotional moments for me in Witcher 3 was seeing Geralt's face when he saw Vesemir lying dead on the ground after the Battle of Kaer Morhen.

Now the only way to show V's emotions will be through his/her voice, which will imo never be as impactful as seeing the face during certain key moments in the game.

...or when Geralt finds Ciri. There are reaction vids on youtube of people weeping from that scene.

I doubt that scene would have had the same emotional impact if it was all FPP.

So you are saying here that V is a pre-created character, NOT us, yet earlier you were saying you want us to be as immersed and in the game as possible, to feel like WE are the character... you know those two things dont really mix right?

Nooo.. What i was saying there is that a single frame, be it a thumbnail, from a promotional material that is 50 min long should't be taken as representative of the whole experience while purposely ignoring the rest of that material.

If V is a poster character for your game, then they are pre-established and therefore not the player. Begging the question more of what is the point of the FPP and character customization if you have a poster character?

The V in the demo was purposely created for that video, like any other game with a character creator.

Just like with other RPG's that feature a character creator there are certain "poster" characters that serve promotional purposes. It's entirely up to you how your "V" will look like.

Guest 3573786

this reminds me of how poor Xbox’s messaging is and CD is doing the exact same thing. We don’t know what they’re doing with TPP cutscenes or body types or the character creator. They need to come out and say something because all they’re doing is confusing people.

Exactly.

Never mind my own, or anyone else's disappointment with a multitude of cdpr's decisions, but their communication and stated reasoning behind some decisions has been rather poor throughout. They need to step up their game, they're better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom