Customization seems so limited/poor..

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've suggested a cosmetic overlay system many times in the past, but it's largely been ignored. My idea would be just like Odyssey's: you can give any piece of gear the appearance of any other piece of gear you've acquired up to that point; perhaps barring weapons.

How difficult that would be to implement, I don't know. But it completely solves the issue of picking one piece of gear with a crappy aesthetic but good stats over another with an aesthetic that clicks with you but has poor stats.

They already addressed this somewhat by ditching levelled gear (thank GOD, I hated that in TW3), but they still have gear rarities. Preferable, but not perfect, and this idea fixes that.

Changing the color of the UI is pretty simple and it's even an option in quite a few games.

Alas, it won't be possible here. Confirmed by the FB account, believe I first saw the screenshot on Reddit.

Not worried, though. Even without mod support, changing the UI color will be a piece of cake on PC. So, whether they like it or not, it will happen.

>Alas, it won't be possible here. Confirmed by the FB account, believe I first saw the scr

Also, that's actually kind of stupid. Implying I have cyberware in my head, and I can modify my holo-vision and what not, why would I not be able to change the color of my vision?

Someone already asked if it would be possible to change the color of the HUD/UI (in either a FB or Twitter DM, can't remember) and they were told it would not be possible.

Also the issue with the new UI isn't about it "not being black and red." The old UI was way, way more organic. Hacking the NCPD database to spec and customize your character was really cool. And of course it felt way more complete and less boring than the most recent one shown.

The game needs a lot of work and some serious reflection on the choices made here. I can't see how all of it will be addressed by April next year. Everything about the 2018 presentation had a lot more artistic flair.

>Alas, it won't be possible here. Confirmed by the FB account, believe I first saw the scr

Also, that's actually kind of stupid. Implying I have cyberware in my head, and I can modify my holo-vision and what not, why would I not be able to change the color of my vision?

Yeah, I'm honestly not quite sure why they wouldn't let you do it. It's an odd decision. Maybe the color red is important in the story somehow?

I think the colors in the HUD will have at least one other option for those who are red/green colorblind. Red is a less than ideal color for some of us. It would be logical that there will likely be one based around blue as well just like they had for witcher sense in TW3. Following red tracks in green grass was impossible. Could be wrong, but it would makes sense. Also wouldn't expect this to be part of the design until much later.

I've suggested a cosmetic overlay system many times in the past, but it's largely been ignored. My idea would be just like Odyssey's: you can give any piece of gear the appearance of any other piece of gear you've acquired up to that point; perhaps barring weapons.

How difficult that would be to implement, I don't know. But it completely solves the issue of picking one piece of gear with a crappy aesthetic but good stats over another with an aesthetic that clicks with you but has poor stats.

They already addressed this somewhat by ditching levelled gear (thank GOD, I hated that in TW3), but they still have gear rarities. Preferable, but not perfect, and this idea fixes that.
I remember this discussion we had, it was great and I still love this idea.
Post automatically merged:

Day 1 patch is pretty standard today, at least on PC.
You make funny joke? Reason I ask is because that would be one huge day 1 patch lol.

The character creation menu from this year's demo seems far worse in comparison to last year's demo.
I agree.

Doom and gloom, based on what exactly ?
CDPR already said its just a temp chargen screen and nothing final. In case you missed the screenshot from the first page, direct link to the reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/cxll66/_/eym1deo
Well I do hope that's legit.

I have some examples of how you can extend the game time with less work:

Excessive grind (so you can't level up easy) or steep learning curve
Lots of fetch quests
Lots of back & forth
Lots of hidden (and worthless) collectibles throughout the map
Crafting items that take a humongous amount of raw material
Stupid and time-consuming puzzles, or labyrinths
Finish the game 3 times to discover 'the true ending'
Few or no fast travel
No fast forward time (aka bed time or wait time)
Lots of reading or watching NPCs talk
No quick saves (makes you start over again a large portion of the game each death)
Randomization of some elements of the game
Slow paced character animations (every basic move takes a few seconds of game time)
Non-ergonomic inputs (makes you press 3 seconds for a basic command that could only use a click)
Unnecessary action that needs to be processed every few minutes, penalizes the player if not done
Several of those examples mixed together.

Ok... that was half of a joke (sorry). But there are strategies for extending the game time with less work.
Oh no.. Noooo noooo nooooo......

Last edited:
You make funny joke? Reason I ask is because that would be one huge day 1 patch lol.

No i'm serious. Division 2 (PS4) had a 90gb day 1 patch, and about 50GB on PC/XBox.

But that was most likely due to DRM. Without heavy drm they should be able to do a delta patch or at least exclude all the big assets like textures, video, voice acting, music without causing problems. Updating just the binaries (and replacing some assets) wouldn't require too much bandwidth.

Last edited:
No i'm serious. Division 2 (PS4) had a 90gb day 1 patch, and about 50GB on PC/XBox.

But that was most likely due to DRM. Without heavy drm they should be able to do a delta patch or at least exclude all the big assets like textures, video, voice acting, music without causing problems. Updating just the binaries (and replacing some assets) wouldn't require too much bandwidth.
You quoted Snowflakez instead of me lol. Also, Day one patch doesn't make sense to me, not because patches aren't good (patches are good! :) ) but because if someone's doing a day 1 patch, that's a ton of stuff that they were still working on before release right?

Edit: I see you liked my post, but then I thought maybe I should clarify some more. What I'm saying is that if there were things being worked on before release, why wouldn't those things just go all right into the actual main game itself? Why does there need to be a patch? Technically, wouldn't day 1 patching be too late for many different things at that point? That's my worry. This is why I want to share my thoughts and opinions early, rather than later when it's too late. I Trust CDPR, but we want them to hear us too right? @kirell

Last edited:

It depends on how the game files are packed. There could be several giant files that need to be unpacked, fixed, repacked and uploaded. They can't upload only the part they fix from them, that's why you get crazy sized patches for minor changes/fixes.

You quoted Snowflakez instead of me lol. Also, Day one patch doesn't make sense to me, not because patches aren't good (patches are good! :) ) but because if someone's doing a day 1 patch, that's a ton of stuff that they were still working on before release right?

Oops yes sorry for misquote, fixed that.

Re:day1 patch: imo its always a good idea to add more polish and fixes if you have time left till release, if they are very bold even minor features (but i wouldn't expect that). A game of Cyberpunk 2077's complexity certainly won't be in a perfect bug-free state when they send it to console approval 2 months before release. So polishing & fixing it till the last moment makes sense to me...

It depends on how the game files are packed. There could be several giant files that need to be unpacked, fixed, repacked and uploaded. They can't upload only the part they fix from them, that's why you get crazy sized patches for minor changes/fixes.

I'm aware that packaging makes efficient patching a lot harder than just looking up which files were changed. Was quite hard to do in Unity till the patcher addons started to get sold (and some companies still just push all changed assets, e.g. the full texture pack despite only fixing a single texture).

But with a decent delta patcher they should be able to open their archive formats -> you don't need to replace the full asset file, but are able to patch the existing asset file with just the texture and database info (or equivalent). This of course is a lot easier if the files work without DRM and heavy encryption...

Last edited:
I don't mind downloading the entire singular game installer version 1.1
(update happened!)
and then simply re-downloading the entire singular game installer version 1.2
But only as long as the installer knows how to update my pre-existing installation of the game by installing over-top of it without forcing me to un-install the outdated version first. This way I can keep my save game, and the update is easier.

Oops yes sorry for misquote, fixed that.

Re:day1 patch: imo its always a good idea to add more polish and fixes if you have time left till release, if they are very bold even minor features (but i wouldn't expect that). A game of Cyberpunk 2077's complexity certainly won't be in a perfect bug-free state when they send it to console approval 2 months before release. So polishing & fixing it till the last moment makes sense to me...
Well for bugs, makes perfect sense, but I did an edit, please go back to read what added. Thanks :D

Well for bugs, makes perfect sense, but I did an edit, please go back to read what added. Thanks :D
sure :)

Edit: I see you liked my post, but then I thought maybe I should clarify some more. What I'm saying is that if there were things being worked on before release, why wouldn't those things just go all right into the actual main game itself? Why does there need to be a patch? Technically, wouldn't day 1 patching be too late for many different things at that point? That's my worry. This is why I want to share my thoughts and opinions early, rather than later when it's too late. I Trust CDPR, but we want them to hear us too right?
Well ideally they are feature-complete when the game has gold status and goes to the approval process for consoles. That way, the game only gets poished & fixed. But if they manage to integrate some small additional features that won't affect the main game, but are important for some people, well why not? Especially if they - for some reason - have free resources.

Example: Someone didn't like that you no longer can fill out Vs rep sheet (real name & some background infos) in character creation. He said he would like to have that feature back, even if there is no interaction with gameplay (Your real name never gets used, its always "V"). So if they have some time on their hands & the feature is unlikely to introduce bugs due to no gameplay interaction - why not? Same for other minor, low threshold features.

Well ideally they are feature-complete when the game has gold status and goes to the approval process for consoles. That way, the game only gets poished & fixed. But if they manage to integrate some small additional features that won't affect the main game, but are important for some people, well why not? Especially if they - for some reason - have free resources.

Example: Someone didn't like that you no longer can fill out Vs rep sheet (real name & some background infos) in character creation. He said he would like to have that feature back, even if there is no interaction with gameplay (Your real name never gets used, its always "V"). So if they have some time on their hands & the feature is unlikely to introduce bugs due to no gameplay interaction - why not? Same for other minor, low threshold features.
Well yes, but also, I mean like- It's important to share everything we can with CDPR very early on about everything we care about so that they're not minor afterthoughts in mini patches, but well made integral parts of the game that had time to be realized properly from a point when it wasn't a heart-attack-rush. You know what I'm saying? Sometimes things can't be added in or modified after when it's too late.

Doom and gloom, based on what exactly ?

CDPR already said its just a temp chargen screen and nothing final. In case you missed the screenshot from the first page, direct link to the reddit post:

I still think it strange that they reduced options from the 2018 demo. That is really strange unless this new customization screen was whipped up from scratch.
Check out the options for color of eyes. 2018 demo has 36 options. 2019 demo has SEVEN. Am I missing something here?

cXmca8BdmRsZQvxpx8cUWa-970-80.jpg1567200270378.png

I still think it strange that they reduced options from the 2018 demo. That is really strange unless this new customization screen was whipped up from scratch.
Check out the options for color of eyes. 2018 demo has 36 options. 2019 demo has SEVEN. Am I missing something here?

View attachment 11014664View attachment 11014667
They said it wasn't the full customization screen. They also changed it up. They said there would be a lot more options at launch (but who really knows lol)

Yes... 100% chance that the 2018 demo had a dummy character creation menu, so the amount of options were just an indication.

99% chance that on the 2019 demo, some elements like the inventory screens were placeholders only, even though I think that the appearance is in its final stage. Nothing to be afraid of, as this demo went with special builds (Solo and Netrunner prebuilds), so it means they had to set up things tightly so they keep everything under control for the show. I'm quite sure they will integrate the hair, colors, models etc. shortly before the final release.

Yes, the dev twitter post directly below my quoted text^^. Here is the text in case you use a mobile/tablet where the tweet wasn't properly shown inline:

"Yeah, we prepared this screen to give a little taste of how customization can look like, but you can expect much more in the final one. :)"

My take: Sounds to me like they didn't have a current character creator at all - most likely due to all the WIP changes with voice modulation and body/voice (ff/mf/fm/mm choices) distinction. So they created a quick mockup preview to show UI direction. Indicated by announced features missing like voice modulation and body/voice mashup selection. Also obvious features they forgot to include in their mockup, like hair color selection. Anyway, that is by no means what they have in mind for release, see the dev post...

Last edited:
They said it wasn't the full customization screen. They also changed it up. They said there would be a lot more options at launch (but who really knows lol)

Why not simply show the old one then? It would've raised less questions. if this character creator is neither the old, nor the one at launch, why show something like this at all? Why remake the CC entirely? I do not understand. There is no logical reason. Something cooked up that has no relation to anything.

What is the meaning of "demonstration"? I always thought its meant to DEMONSTRATE what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom