FPP only cutscenes might be a deal-breaker for me

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-rendered or not, they've showed V in TPP quite a bit in promotional material, which makes everything a bit misleading in any case.
So does any other game that isn't TPP in its promo CGI trailers. This is only misleading if you never watched CGI trailers before, or didn't realize its not showing ingame graphics or ingame cutscenes.

They've choosen TPP in these cases to garner interest in the game. And they did that because they know that that is not so easily done by only showing FPP.
Everyone from top-down strategy games to first person shooters to isometric party RPGs uses this cinematic perspective for trailers. I mean, i get that some people expected more TPP cutscenes based on the actual gameplay demo (since it contains the elevator scene and the wakeup/appartement scene). But how can you say a cinematic CGI trailer is misleading regarding in-game gameplay? Thats why people are so keen to watch actual in-game footage and gameplay - to see how the game actually is, cause they know CGI trailers - of course - don't show that...

People, learn to read the chainsaw up. Cut scenes are not gone. It is clearly said in multiple interviews post-no cut scene affair. Scenes like elevateor scene, apartment scenes are still in. Hands off action cutscenes and dialogue cutscenes are gone (they were never mentioned to be in the game in the first place. Devs were always saying NO CUTSCENES). Nothing seems to have changed in that respect since June 2018. Did I say learn to read the chainsaw up? For the sake of moderators I changed the "F" word into chainsaw, thay have too much work already :)
Again, CDPR could use some improvement in the news dealing/feature explaining department. But I blame that on Rache Bartmoss and DataCrash.

Scenes like elevateor scene, apartment scenes are still in.

No they are not ingame anymore, not as TPP cutscene.

German website of a games magazine

Translated with Google

E3 scenes were subsequently changed

The discussion about the ego perspective is therefore currently so great, since earlier gameplay scenes from the E3 still included individual cutscenes in which protagonist V was also seen from the outside. Therefore, we asked CD Projekt for possible changes.

The studio confirmed that they have adapted the cutscenes from last year's E3 presentation and that we will experience the same scenes in the final game from the Ego view. Especially since the scenes shown after the release of Cyberpunk 2077 next year also differ in content a bit from the E3 demo:

"We can confirm that last year's cutscenes have been replaced by new FPP scenes (which are also not 100% the same, they can be very different) .There will be some short transitions, for example during a sex scene, but it's mostly first-person. "

I think at this point people will have to get used to the fact or likelihood that a core part of the game will be* in first person. The way I recall it they were pretty open or clear about this in general, with some apparently betting all their cards on cutscenes that were retroactively changed now. There will be exceptions, but the "roadmap" or focus is clear here. "Cope or nope", in a nutshell.

Obviously, not everyone likes it or has to like it. If I had the ability to occasionally toggle third person at will anywhere, I'd of course prefer this over not having this.

Yet at the same time it's not a "deal breaker" for me. I play(ed) other games with a good story, immersion, setting and so on primarily in first person. I want to play Cyberpunk primarily to witness an immersive world of that cyberpunk genre and the game will give this to me. While I also wanted to have a set of things done differently to have an even better subjective experience, I still get what I hope for. To look at the bright side, the character may be defined but not even as set as in other games, giving you at the very least solid leeway (due to background and choices/consequences model) in having a more unique or different character opposed to, say, an Adam Jensen that is way more defined or stuck in a role. By the way, those recent Deus Ex games were also primarily in first person, with cutscenes being an exception.

I do get concerns and preferences, no doubt, but I like to think that some who are most vocal about this might "cope" until release and perhaps discover it's not all bad as they think, in their minds.

*Assuming no grand changes with more third person angles are suddenly announced and applied until release

To look at the bright side, the character may be defined but not even as set as in other games, giving you at the very least solid leeway (due to background and choices/consequences model) in having a more unique or different character opposed to, say, an Adam Jensen that is way more defined or stuck in a role.

When it comes to choices and the CC, I don't expect more from them than what I've already seen from Bioware. At least my threshold to be impressed by that is fairly high. And CDPR still has to prove that they can deliver on that.

People honestly expect too much from this game. Freedom, Interactive cutscenes? it probably will be more simple than people imagine it to be.
The stroy will at times railroad you in a certain direction. interactive cutscenes will likely be certain promts that you can take or not. And V, is still in certain ways a predefined person with character traits you can't circumvent. They won't reinvent the wheel with this.

And maybe I've exaggerated a bit, but by the way some people talk about this, its like they expect a complete cyberpunk life simulator out of this game.

Also, don't get me wrong. I don't want to be negative about the game. I absolutely loved the Witcher games, and I want to love Cyberpunk, but I also abhor FPS (which will not stop me to suck it up and give it a fair chance), as such games always fail to pull me in.

"We can confirm that last year's cutscenes have been replaced by new FPP scenes (which are also not 100% the same, they can be very different) .There will be some short transitions, for example during a sex scene, but it's mostly first-person. "
Yet some employees are responding that changes weren't made and that, while the majority will be FPP, there will still [rarely] be TPP scenes.

They should clarify or even respond directly here. I personally don't care either way, but it'd stop the confusion at least.

People honestly expect too much from this game.

Who is "people", though? You are not wrong, some do expect "too much". But some isn't all.

I'm not sure if you lurked before the account was made but even in the recent past there's plenty of voices not just here but in general who tuned down specific expectations due to particular announcements. And some turned very skeptical.

And V, is still in certain ways a predefined person with character traits you can't circumvent. They won't reinvent the wheel with this.

Yes, and no. It depends on how you look at it or what you compare to. The character is more customizable in background than others, like an Adam Jensen or Gordon Freeman. I'd say that perhaps comparing V to Mass Effect's Commander Shepard is a relatively fitting comparison. You have a main narrative and story for the plot and your character has a main narrative you cannot deviate from, but background choices or "the past" can be selected from a set of 'archetypes' that have varying levels of influence on the plot or game in addition to the choices you make regardless of your past.

From all statements so far it can be assumed it will bear deeper or more complex impact than in ME. In simple terms you can likely deviate more and customize more (see more effects based on your background) in Cyberpunk. If you liked ME in that regard, you will likely see big improvements in CP.

But comparing ME / CP is just one example that results in a positive outlook for me. In the end, people individually need to come up with their own subjectively fitting or unfitting comparisons, if they want to compare.

I see no issues with what's advertised / hinted at so far in regards to choices or deviating a bit. We get three distinctive backgrounds that will likely influence the plot and give custom content beyond a superficial level.

I do not expect totally different plots per background. You are correct that you'll eventually be set or sent back on track in the main narrative, but does anyone here realistically expect unique plots per background?

Perhaps, TL;DR: Not nitpicking on your preferences, just saying not everyone is "blind with hype" or expecting too much, nor is it necessarily bad they won't or can't offer wildly different main plots per character background but stick to a main one all are part of.
They may not reinvent the wheel anew but at the same time it's not bad in my eyes. I do expect more deviation and uniqueness and, ultimately, freedoms for the player than in other games where protagonists are (even more) defined or characterized, with no choice for the player at all to change aspects of the character, not just including looks.

Seems a bit strange. Maybe he means for Cyberpunk specifically. I like the rest of his post, but the Bloody Baron Quest, who gets to rule Skellige, how you handle Radovid etc. for me is about the very defintion of good C&C design.

Maybe he would like to have more variety of outcome / input for Ciris Destiny - i have heard some people saying it relies a bit much on your interactions with her, with no other quests&decisions influencing it. But imo that makes sense in this context. Regarding variety: imo some distinct, well established and fleshed out outcomes with great storytelling are better than 50 shades of the same (or choice of 3 buttons - but thats a bit unfair towards ME3, the series had some good C&C before that final decision)...

I'm sorry, english is not my main language and I shouldn't have put that sentence there. It's not right to say they have no experience with C&C after the Witcher games.

But what I meant is, that CDPR is going new paths with Cyberpunk. CC, FPS, etc. in some areas they're entering new territories. Will that hold up to expectations? Do they get the feel of shooter mechanics down? ...
Now I don't care about the shooter aspect, but there are enough aficionados who are quite rigorous with their notions how that has to feel.

I'll shut up now before I dig myself further holes ^^

But what I meant is, that CDPR is going new paths with Cyberpunk. CC, FPS, etc. in some areas they're entering new territories. Will that hold up to expectations? Do they get the feel of shooter mechanics down? ...
Now I don't care about the shooter aspect, but there are enough aficionados who are quite rigorous with their notions how that has to feel.
Those rigorous notions how a game has to be in order to be good is what i have really have a problem with: One might think i'm a big fan of FPP games or at least FPP cutscenes, but all my favorite RPGs are actually either isomertric or TPP (or with TPP/FPP toggle). But i don't think just because i like those games most, it has to be that way to be any good. Imo those rigorous notions can cause people to miss great games just cause they don't match their preconceptions of how it "should" be -> maybe its different from ones past favorites, but still great anyway, in a new way. Kinda not seing the game for what it is and what the devs intend it to be, but instead just comparing it to what they liked in the past. Hm, i'm rambling a bit...^^

Imo those rigorous notions can cause people to miss great games just cause they don't match their preconceptions of how it "should" be

This is true, but then again, people might have experience - even lots of it - of modern FPS games, and so they might know exactly what’s coming to them with this one in that regard.

I’m not the sort of ”perspective” guy who thinks one way is the right way; both can be made to work as long as the mechanics work the right way.
But even I can already tell, the gameplay might not be the strong suit of this game (as oxymoronic as it might sound... gameplay not being the strong suit of a game). Partly due to perspective, but mostly for other reasons, but nonetheless. And that’s precisely because it shows from the footage they’ve released.

You people have "immersed" your way out of my money...

Too bad!

This is based on what? There has been no triple a game with first person cutscenes yet and people are already throwing CDPR under the bus. CDPR's cutscenes could be the most awesome thing happened in game industry.

This is based on what? There has been no triple a game with first person cutscenes yet and people are already throwing CDPR under the bus. CDPR's cutscenes could be the most awesome thing happened in game industry.

I think you're a bit too hyped. CDPR could surprise us, but they won't reinvent the wheel.

We have also seen games with full FPP before, like Dishonored, so we know what we can realistically expect. And I, for my part, am convinced that my enjoyment of the game will be negatively affected by that design decision.
Now that doesn't have to mean that the game may not be highly enjoyable for me, but that it will never be able to reach 10/10 in my eyes.
It's my subjective opinion, and nobody has to agree with that.

First-person cutscenes, while not the norm, aren't exactly anything new...the Call of Duty, Battlefield and last few Far Cry games have been doing it for years, for example. Can they be interesting? I suppose they can be, depending on the scene...I always thought the one cutscene of being driven around a war-torn city to your execution was fairly notable. Are they necessarily "immersive" to make someone who isn't a fan of the perspective change their mind? Well, not so much.

I doubt that there's much that CDPR can bring new to the table with their first swing at the perspective that is radically different from anything anyone else with more first-person experience has done before, or better for that matter.

Last edited:
Scenes like elevateor scene, apartment scenes are still in.

no they are not

source: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/cyberpunk-2077-ego-perspektive-ausnahmen,3348494.html

"Wir können bestätigen, dass die letztjährigen Zwischensequenzen durch neue FPP-Szenen ersetzt wurden (welche auch nicht mehr zu 100 Prozent die selben sind, sie können sehr anders sein)"

translation: "we can confirm that last years cutscenes were replaced by new first person cutscenes (which are not 100% the same anymore, they can be a lot different."

I doubt that there's much that CDPR can bring new to the table with their first swing at the perspective that is radically different from anything anyone else with more first-person experience has done before, or better for that matter.

I think you're a bit too hyped. CDPR could surprise us, but they won't reinvent the wheel.

We have also seen games with full FPP before, like Dishonored, so we know what we can realistically expect. And I, for my part, am convinced that my enjoyment of the game will be negatively affected by that design decision.
Now that doesn't have to mean that the game may not be highly enjoyable for me, but that it will never be able to reach 10/10 in my eyes.
It's my subjective opinion, and nobody has to agree with that.

Hmm, money matters no? They have 400 people working on this game, lots of games are made with staff of 150 to 200. I think you guys are underestimating this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom