The sheer scale of Night City

+
REAL 120 sq km. Not fake 136 sq km. Which means it's in fact gonna be a bit smaller than the fake-size TW3 map, but... 5.5 times larger than the actual TW3 map.

Hey that actually reminds me of something.... wasn't there a very popular rumor about Cyberpunk map being 5 times larger than TW3 map? It surfaced well before e3 2018 when nobody knew much about the game. Interesting...

Though you are making a very bold statement here about the fake map size. I never really bothered looking into it but I feel at least someone would figure it out in the past 4 years if the map size was faked at such a large scale.

Edit: I don't know if talking about past rumors is illegal here. I'm sorry if that's the case.

Last edited:
Edit: I don't know if talking about past rumors is illegal here. I'm sorry if that's the case.
You're good.
Though you are making a very bold statement here about the fake map size.
He's incorrect. You can got watch youtubers speed walk across the map before the expansions. It's much larger than 22km2. As to the 136 vs something more like 90-100 that's debatable and dependent on determining things like Geralt's walking speed. But Vanilla TW3 (before expansions) takes about 2 hours to speed walk/swim (not run) across Velen + Kaer Morhen + Skellige + White Orchard. Go watch the videos of it on youtube. Assuming a speed walking/swimming is about 4-5 miles per hour, that's between 8 miles (12.8 km) and 10 miles (16.6 km) in a straight line diagonally across the map. Using the old Pythagorean Theorem would put the map size then at between 81 km2 and 139 km2. Either way, it's way more than 22 km2.

But this is way off topic, so lets leave it alone in here. If we want to discuss TW3 map size more, take it to the correct forum and thread.

Last edited:
A few posts deleted

Ok people, the topic is not The Witcher 3 map size vs [insert random game here] map size nor is the in depth analysis of maps not related to Cyberpunk 2077. Let's not make it that. A few posts for comparison are fine, getting bogged down in them isn't.

A few posts deleted

Ok people, the topic is not The Witcher 3 map size vs [insert random game here] map size nor is the in depth analysis of maps not related to Cyberpunk 2077. Let's not make it that. A few posts for comparison are fine, getting bogged down in them isn't.
Ok, can I make my own thread for that, then?

Also, to repeat myself, I agree with this:

Idk about you guys, but these skyscrapers simply seem to be too small to be part of City Center.

This looks like Badlands more like, not Heywood. I think it's entirely possible that it's Heywood - the skyscrapers to the south of V (the ones I presume to be in Heywood) are in fact pretty small, with nothing taller to the south of them (indicating that there might be more residential, more mid- and low-height architecture behind them):

View attachment 11014991
View attachment 11014997
Idk about you guys, but these skyscrapers simply seem to be too small to be part of City Center.

I partially agree but, at the same time, I believe they may not necessarily be part of Heywood. The tallest skyscrapers of the city should probably be located further south, on Corpo Plaza (which, at the time the 2018 gameplay demo released, might not have been ready for the engine to fully render from V’s location) so these buildings could easily be part of City Center, specifically on the rim of said district.

But well, all I’m sure is that those building could belong to either Heywood or City Center, not anywhere else. And, if they’re located on City Center, they’re not tall enough to belong to Corpo Plaza.

---

There's something that I just recalled about one of the early screenshot from the game, though:

A-mercenary-on-the-rise-en.jpg

Those buildings in the middle of the image, far in the distance, behind what we believe are Westbrook and Heywood, where could they be located?

I used to believe back in the day that they could be part of Corpo Plaza (one of those actually looks tall enough to be considered a Corpo Plaza skyscraper) but, with the recent theories we've discussed here, I'm not sure anymore. And, to make matters worse, they don't look like they belong to, say, Santo Domingo either. They're too... business-y looking.

What do you guys/gals think?

Last edited:
It seems like we have 2 possible locations for V's apartment and the skyscraper cluster that we saw in the gameplay demo, and either of the possibilities relies solely on whether the metro map is oriented properly with the North situated at the top of the map, or tilted. So maybe someone could ask the team themselves, via Facebook, if the metro map is "tilted" or not? I tried asking them, but to no avail (the message is still in "sent" status).

If someone asked them if the metro map is tilted for example, and they said yes, then we'd have a 100% confirmed location of V's apartment.

Here's the game's facebook page, also used for communication.

I took the original 4K image of the whole collector's edition and upsampled just the map by 4x with Adobe's deep learning algorithm

wmulls there exist even some shots in 8000px × 4500px. Maybe, they are just upscaled. But from the amount of details I don' t think so. So maybe you would like to...

That picture from the standart and collectors edition could be interesting for our discussions where V's is located and about the map size, too.

I find the text in the in the artbook a little confusing. Sounds like Japan town is in Watson ?????

Although one can see a megabuilding in the city center map part (look at the en of city center). If Rawls version should be correct, we should be able to see it in the gameplay demo. But I don't see it or maybe it's not rendered.

Japantown is in Westbrook according to the map and promo materials so far as I know.

That is what I thought from the promo material, too. But in the art book double page one can see in the picture of the collectors edition one can see the text:

"The expansion of the Arasaka Cooperation in Night City led to the development of Japan town, as Japanese employees were eager to recreate a home away from home. It is made of economic migrants(mostly from China and South-East Asia) as well as corporate expats. It is the richiest part of Watson. It is the town's go to place for...."

and in the upper left one can see that it is about Watson. Confused me a little.

is what I thought from the promo material, too. But in the art book double page one can see in the picture of the collectors edition one can see the text:

"The expansion of the Arasaka Cooperation in Night City led to the development of Japan town, as Japanese employees were eager to recreate a home away from home. It is made of economic migrants(mostly from China and South-East Asia) as well as corporate expats. It is the richiest part of Watson. It is the town's go to place for...."
The part it's referring to is Arasaka Waterfront I think, not Japantown, though both would have Japanese influences. Huh that is interesting. There are definitely other materials that explicitly say it's in Westbrook.

The part it's referring to is Arasaka Waterfront I think, not Japantown, though both would have Japanese influences. Huh that is interesting. There are definitely other materials that explicitly say it's in Westbrook.

Yes, I know. In a flyer they wrote: "Featuring tourist oriented Japantown, Westrook is a place...."

Did anyone notice this or am i seeing things?

Untitled.jpg

car parked outside of all foods, at night you can see two extra buildings in the background that you don't during daytime or any other marketing material for the game
i bet there's a whole lot more but the game isn't rendering them for one reason or another

Interesting. Makes me want to go back and look at the subdistricts for each district more carefully and list them out.

EDIT:

Watson
  1. Kabuki
  2. Northern Industrial District
  3. Arasaka Waterfront
  4. Little China
Westbrook
  1. North Oaks
  2. Japantown
  3. Charter Hill?
City Center
  1. Corpo Plaza
  2. Downtown
  3. Well Springs
Heywood
  1. Glen
  2. Vista Del Rey
Santa Domonica
  1. Rancharo Coronado
  2. Arroyo
Pacifica
  1. West Wind Estate?
Something like that maybe? Some of them are kinda near the likely borders between districts so its hard to tell.

Last edited:
That is what I thought from the promo material, too. But in the art book double page one can see in the picture of the collectors edition one can see the text:

and in the upper left one can see that it is about Watson. Confused me a little.

A while back I took a screenshot of the artbook from the unboxing video but I couldn't make out what the text said. Where did you find a screenshot with that text in a readable size?

Last edited:
A while back I took a screenshot of the artbook from the unboxing video but I couldn't make out what the text said. Where did you find a screenshot with that text in a readable size?

I used google image search and found it. There you can find images of the collectors and standard edition in 8000px × 4500px.
Screen2.jpg

Screen3.jpg

Did anyone notice this or am i seeing things?

car parked outside of all foods, at night you can see two extra buildings in the background that you don't during daytime or any other marketing material for the game
i bet there's a whole lot more but the game isn't rendering them for one reason or another

Yes, that is indeed quite strange. And as you said there are more strange LOD things going on. But that one is really strange because we are in the same place, so it can't be lod popping. Maybe, the did choose the part of the city that should be rendered for every scene per hand???

In any case it doesn't seem like they are showing us the LOD of the whole city. That's nice to know. What we saw in the distance always looked way too empty for my taste.

In the same place there is another strange thing. Look at that building

Screen1.jpg

a tall building in the middle of nowhere???

also, did CDPR confirm that the entire 2018 demo takes place in Watson? including this part?

Atleast in the 2018 demo they just mention at the elevator that we are now in Watson. I don't think that they have mentioned that the entire demo takes place in Watson somewhere else. But I'm not shure. To me the scene looks a little like a shanghai back alley.

Last edited:
Hey torsti9, do you have a high-res pic of the whole Collector's Edition? There were other things added, like a map, maybe you have it in high res

Top Bottom