Why even play Gwent?

+
This thread is about how ridiculously little incentive there is to the ranks, the leader boards, MMR and just matches in general.

Rewards and incentive to get these rewards, to EARN the rewards is something that is really important to pretty much every game there is. To have a goal that can keep you playing and playing until you reach it and then get some sort of reward and then a satisfaction that you have earned it. Also being able to show of your accomplishment to others is also a thing that can be really important. Gwent has very little of any of this.

Lets start with the rank system:

Why do people push for rank 1 and maybe even pro rank? the only rewards you get for accomplishing this seems to only be the satisfaction and the pat on your back you give yourself for having done it, and then some reward points at the end of the season. To a lot of players (take me for example) this is not enough to keep them engaged, to make them willing to spend hours of hours on Gwent. But if there where more rewards, maybe some milestones or something, then pushing to pro rank would be a lot more fun. In beta Gwent there where such milestones and rewards along the way of the the ranks and the leaderboards. This brings me to my second point.

Leader board rewards:

Remember how in beta Gwent there where rewards and special, unique borders you could get. For example if you got to the top 1000 on the leader boards, at the end of the season you would get a border and maybe even a special avatar that you could equip and then show of at the start of every match. Now the borders and avatars arent really a thing that you earn, they feel more like things you buy. This really ruins the borders because they where originally designed in beta Gwent as things you can show off, as rewards. Not anymore, now the borders, the avatars and the titles feel almost pointless.

I remember sometimes seeing players in multiplayer matches which had one of the special borders which then told me that whoever i was playing against was good, and that they once was in the top 1000 or maybe even the top 100 on the leader board which used to feel like such an accomplishment, but now i dont care because the only thing i get is just my own pat on the back. Pretty much no one will ever know if i achieve top 100 now because there is no longer anything i get for having done it. And again there is not really any incentive to stay competitive anymore.

Lastly i just want to say that Gwent really needs more rewards and incentive for playing because this will really everybody, it will make Gwent a lot more fun and also make some people sit up all night grinding the ladder before the end of the season to get that border. All of this can also really get more players to gwent and maybe get the beta veterans to return to a better Gwent.

More rewards. No. Blitz mode. Yes. I actually want a good time playing the game, which I cant when my opponent takes ages to take a turn. Skill based game where you can out-smart your opponnent. Well speed gwent just seems to fit that, where you just have to think a little bit faster.

Arena on the other hand, has to count towards the daily wins. No real reason in playing arena otherwise, as the current reward system incetivices the players to play anything else but the arena.

Yeah, you still get em duh. As a contract.
Yes, there are some rewards in form of contracts but these dont keep you competetive. sure there are a couple of contracts that give you stuff when you hit pro rank, but what about next season? you dont get the contract rewards more than once so there is almost nothing you get. What i think is that they should reintroduce something like the rewards you would get in beta gwent for climbing the leader boards. something to keep players competetive.

I would like to see this game get special borders for pro rank high MMR players. Maybe I am missing it but what exactly is the point of pushing for higher MMR?? Just to reach a higher spot on the leaderboard for a short period of time? I don't get it.

I was sad to see CDPR selling the best looking borders. Borders were the thing to show off your skill. Now they aren't at all.

Last edited:
The ladder should be training, a progression. Motivation to grind is not the problem the grind itself is. Pro Rank should be the main game but once you have made it once you should be qualified to play for good.
The ladder itself has no balance in matchmaking beyond recent player activity level. Once you start the season from rank 8 onwards you are up against last seasons pro-rank players.
I started a new profile this month to get that feeling of progression again while I wait for the ladder to clear on my other profile. I do wonder if /when I finally get to pro-rank and achieve that milestone will I feel like repeating the process.
I would like to see a mini tournament mode where you are matched against players on a similar win streak up to say 5 wins to claim the prize. A bit like Arena but you can choose your own decks.
I am not going to play five or six hundred games a month so if that is what it takes to be top of pro-rank then it may not be an interest to me once I have made it once.

Don't forget there's decent feathers/scraps/kegs for reaching higher rank. I'd guess most on this board don't even notice due to the mega-scraps from HC, and zero need for any kegs.

Succumbed to grinding as NG last night, just used Imperial Golem in place of Tibor for the extra points and used Ardel. Must've been horrible to play against, though I did get a couple of trash deals!

The power in the current Gwent is in tutors, in my opinion - I prefer to have as much control as I can over the cards I play. The game seems reasonably well equipped to make this a useful experience. But the issue is this means you're running a very dull deck most of the time. How many bronze 4's are worth having? Most factions have just one, NG perhaps 2 (Nauzicaa/Scorpion), so how many 4 power bronzes have any point at all? I think the game should look to really bin off a lot of bronze filler and replace it with brand new Golds with more interesting abilities. There's far too many cards with no point whatsoever and I think they could take a whole bunch and just pair then up for interesting abilities, bring in things like Armor perhaps, definitely look at bonded a bit more as well. If you did into the books there's a number of characters within who could be brought in, instead. Obviously issues with artwork but the key problem is there's around 20% of ALL cards worth playing, which is why variety is so stunted.

Top Bottom