Character Customization!

+
This is one of the things that came to my attention.

I realize that the 48 minute demo was a work in progress and all but i feel like in the character customization there were things that were lacking. Especially in the character background and backstory type stuff. I wish there were more major events and other options to choose from!

I feel this just takes the role playing a bit down if we can't have full control of how our character acts or their origins and stuff. Then again it is a work in progress, we might of not seen everything.

Any thoughts?

The backstory options given may not seem much, but it is not easy to make them really impact the game. This looks more or less similar to importing decisions from the previous game in the Witcher series. At this stage of the development, if more were added, I guess the new options would probably just add different flavor to a few dialogues.

TLDR: I hope the game would give us the ability to create our own hair designs to use with the character creation.

I recently finished a game on the cyberpunk genre while trying to satisfy my hype for Cyberpunk 2077. (The game is Dex, btw.) I really liked the character. Close to Lara Croft vibes. So I thought, when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, I'm going to make a character based on her (Dex).

I fired up my imagination on how am I going to do that based on CC tools I saw. The most detailed one I played so far is Fallout 4. But there is one limiting factor in FO4's CC: the hair. Hair styles are predefined. (If this feat, custom hair, already exists in another game, let me know. I would love to check that out.). And it's understandable to not include a custom hair making tool because it will probably be complex, especially when making hair that might interact with other geometry (Ok, I won't pretend I know exactly how hair dynamics work in a game. I'm just basing this off of my novice modelling skills.)

Maybe, just maybe, CDPR can include a separate tool to create more complex details for CC. Just like how Blizzard included powerful, complex map creators on both StarCraft 1 and StarCraft 2. On a side note, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down had a custom map maker too. I hope CDPR will include one in this game too!

Maybe a Mod tool? But we'll have to wait for one to be made.

This one is probably too complex and does not add a lot of value. Better CDPR focus on the big things first so maybe in a future update I hope we'd get to see this.

I think the character's editor should contain the type of build (kachok.tolstyak.stroyny) to create a unique character setting the face (correctly) and another example of gold teeth

Yes that it is agreeable. And I am okay with making every aspect of the game in FPP. I am even okay with making the character creation in FPP. But what is important to consider is that when you take something out, you have to give something else in return.

So removing any TPP instances from the game in favor of FPP mode in order to have more immersion does not mean that this immersion would magically happen just because we have no TPP scenes. As this trade-off would require an extra work from the devs in order to make these TPP instances more interesting and immersive in FPP instead.

Excluding TPP just for the sake of less work on animations or believing that it will achieve more immersion, simply by removing these TPP instances without putting more work in FPP, would only lead to quality reduction to the overall gaming experience. And I am certain that this is not the case with Cyberpunk. So if the devs found, for instance, that TPP is the best approach in cutscenes, then things will remain as it is. On the other hand, if they managed to make cutscenes look better in FPP, then they will do it.
I don't have much to add, that's pretty cool. I will say though FPP character creation? Only if V can stand in front of a mirror while they look into the mirror to customize themselves but If I can't see what's going on, it's not fun anymore lol. The thing about the mirror is, how does V turn around to see what they look like from all angles, if their neck doesn't bend that way? This is why I think that some Third person needs to be there. I'm okay with it all being First person, but I will gladly take any third person CDPR can give me where it's absolutely needed :D (otherwise I'm not able to see what's going on, this would be a huge problem for me)

So I actually do feel that some third person is unavoidable, like the character creation screen. The mirror is never going to allow me to see V as good as true Third person while I customize them, you know? I embrace it. It's a good thing.

I don't have much to add, that's pretty cool. I will say though FPP character creation? Only if V can stand in front of a mirror while they look into the mirror to customize themselves but If I can't see what's going on, it's not fun anymore lol. The thing about the mirror is, how does V turn around to see what they look like from all angles, if their neck doesn't bend that way?
Either using the old school method (mirror + backmirror or mirror + hand mirror), but i think by 2077 he would just have a front cam and a back cam (or surround cams) to project onto a display, maybe directly into his eyes, without an actual glass mirror.

Or a mix of both, like this smart mirror: (horrible lightning, but just to get the basic idea):

This one seems a bit more advanced : https://www.evervuetv.com/smartmirror/

Last edited:
I don't have much to add, that's pretty cool. I will say though FPP character creation? Only if V can stand in front of a mirror while they look into the mirror to customize themselves

Yeah I know that was a bit extreme :D, but I did have the same thought of yours about standing in front of a mirror. Character creation usually don't make sense to me anyway. I mean why we are creating a character from the first place? And who is making these character edits? But there are exceptions. Such as Saints Row 2 as the main character recovered from an explosion and went through extensive plastic surgery, which is the part where you go to the character creation. So these character alterations do make sense. Also you have Robocraft's first person build mode where you control a robotic arm and create your own robot piece by piece, and these customizations not only make sense, but also feel quite immersive.

But maybe not everything has to be explained in every game? I don't know.

Or a mix of both, like this smart mirror: (horrible lightning, but just to get the basic idea):

This one seems a bit more advanced : https://www.evervuetv.com/smartmirror/

Nice examples! In fact, I would really want this smart mirror in V's apartment :D

Last edited:
Moved and restored several posts regarding customization possibilities and perspective because it's an interesting subject.

That said, let's keep the discussion on topic and not turn in into a general perspective debate, please.

This is one of the things that came to my attention.

I realize that the 48 minute demo was a work in progress and all but i feel like in the character customization there were things that were lacking. Especially in the character background and backstory type stuff. I wish there were more major events and other options to choose from!

I feel this just takes the role playing a bit down if we can't have full control of how our character acts or their origins and stuff. Then again it is a work in progress, we might of not seen everything.

Any thoughts?
The format you use to write this is...
Perfection.gif

This kind of thing don't expect to have a good effect,
Like Todd Howard's business pitch. bara! bara!

Not really as this is a TPP game, bizarrely even for cut scenes. You will need to go into the equipment menu to see your lovingly tweeked toon ;) so customisation is rather pointless.
Plus mirrors, driving, and photo mode. So it's not really pointless, but some might find it useful to them. The customization looks pretty basic so it's not likely people will be slaving away for hours on it

If this article is correct does this mean there is no mix-and-match?
https://www.videogamer.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-character-genitalia-will-be-dictated-by-body-type
but but ma mix-it-up chick-dick character playthrough.

I'm not understanding where you got that idea from the article. It's specifically detailing that various body parts will be completely interchangeable. So it's likely possible to have a male bottom and female top (as in body parts), or pre-made versions of such, meaning that transgender / hermaphrodite characters are completely possible. It also states that players can select the male or female V voice over (...VVO?...) no matter which body parts/type they select.

So, if anything, this is strong evidence that clothing, too will be mix-and-match in a rather great level of detail.

Last edited:
Only from these two comments from the article.
‘We have the body type that you select and then the genitals will be determined by that,’
‘You can have a male or female voice with either body, but the genitals are defined by the body.’

I just got the feeling that this is litteral. Female body, female parts and vice versa. Just found it would be funny to be able to make the mix-it-up character. I surely would have a playthough with that option aswell as standard male and female playthroughs.

I noticed the "circuits" lines were made straight on the character editor.
They should be added with the cyberware.
It doesn't looks that hot, and no point having them if you don't have any cyberware, unless it's some kind of disease like the chrome kids in Cybergeneration, but it feels random as it.

Only from these two comments from the article.
‘We have the body type that you select and then the genitals will be determined by that,’
‘You can have a male or female voice with either body, but the genitals are defined by the body.’

I just got the feeling that this is litteral. Female body, female parts and vice versa. Just found it would be funny to be able to make the mix-it-up character. I surely would have a playthough with that option aswell as standard male and female playthroughs.

While it may not be select individual torso / hips / arms / legs / etc. (like Dragon's Dogma, for example), I imagine it will offer all the possible "combos". So, you could select a body type that was male, female, male build with female genetalia, female build with male genetalia, male build with breasts and male genetalia, female build with male genetalia(x2...:LOL:), etc. Then, I'd imagine there will be variations for each of those, like thin, muscular, average, etc.

Even if the body choices come as a "complete set", that would make sense to me in order to ensure max compatibility between all body parts and all gear / clothing...while also keeping it all "seamless".

I noticed the "circuits" lines were made straight on the character editor.
They should be added with the cyberware.
It doesn't looks that hot, and no point having them if you don't have any cyberware, unless it's some kind of disease like the chrome kids in Cybergeneration, but it feels random as it.

I'd imagine there's an "none" option for that. Doesn't seem sensible that there wouldn't be. (Unless they want it universal for aesthetic reasons.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom