How Should Fast Travel Work in Cyberpunk? Fast Travel From Anywhere?

+

Fast travel from anywhere?

• Total voters
In Cyberpunk, should we fast travel from anywhere? In the Witcher, finding a signpost to fast travel, became a tedious waste of time. Do you think something similar to the signpost system should be implemented, or should they do something different? Should there be a cost or risk involved in fast travel?

48c9cfecaf048789765ef2278e60a4e2.jpg

In your opinion, what's the best way CD Project Red could implement fast travel in Cyberpunk 2077.

Ideal option for me would be few different ways to travel via public transport with option to skip the journey once you have taken it. Public metro like the one shown at the beginning of e3 2018 trailer would be great, and few different types of cab service.

Whether or not there should be fast travel from anywhere, i am conflicted about it. One one hand i hated how RDR2 didn't have any type of fast travel and even when you unlocked it it was tedious as hell. But the more i think about it i think it was more or less about how basic the mission structures were and how much downtime there was between them which involved just horse riding, so maybe i hated the lack of convenient fast travel more than i should have.

On the other hand it gave meaning to public transport features in games and i really like that. GTA games are a good in between imo.

Witcher 3's system was good IMO, not that I ever really use fast travel when it's not 100% necessary. So, something similar to that, as far as freedom of choosing "from" and "to" travel points goes, would be good. (For the rare instance where I'll use the system. :p )

Automated cabs and the monorail should be the logical options. That does essentially mean you can fast travel from any location if you’re using an automated vehicle though, which I guess is OK if you want that option? I personally prefer those journeys between locations as that is when you stumble across some interesting street story or side mission content. How often fast travel gets used will also be determined by how good the bikes or cars are to drive too.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Hmm. I could see some kind of flying cab service which you can use from almost anywhere and pay a modicum sum for.

Fast travel in cRPG should be a vay to implement the PnP mechanics of "Lets spare the bullshit, you're fucking there" :) But, there should be a chance for some unfortunate/fortunate encounter that breakes the routine (and the travel) from time to time. I hate, however, when a game tries to narratively explain mechanics. Except if itakes sense. So the subway, combat cab etc. But I prefer a free fast travel. I usually don't use it much, but I like it there. But if there will be an NPC in the tutorial who will explicitly tell me to use FAST TRAVEL, using the exact words.... Heads will roll, bodies will fall.

As others have posted i am fine with Combat Cab and the train for FT . On one hand i don`t wont FT from any where but i guess Combat Cab would be from any where :shrug: that would make it okay .

Hmm...maybe it will work similar to Witcher 3? You run to, let's say, a parked taxi, press the action button and then the map appears.

Personally I like Fast Travel as it shorten an annoying thing: going back and forth from places you've already discovered, and that my videogame time is precious and not lengthy enough to waste it.
It's actually the same kind of choice than having to wait Days/Weeks/Month to heal from a wound: who would have to do it without the ability to fast foward the time?

So Fast Travel from anywhere (already discovered) to anywhere (already discovered) for me.

Imo fast travel should be only available in areas you can call your car to, or a taxi, or from train & bus stations. So more than in Witcher 3, but not from inside Buildings and certainly not from inside missions. That said, I won't use fast travel much anyway if Witcher 3 is any indication...

Doesn't fast travel involve loading screens? And they keep saying there won't be loading screens.

So that said, I think fast travel would really just be "faster" travel. Faster than by foot. And just how it would be if you wanted to travel faster in a city in real life. Use your car or use public transportation.

As for inside buildings.... Elevators?

Fast travel should be connect to specific locations IMO, not on demand. We already have a car we'll be able to call to our side at any moment. I doubt we'll be too far from a subway or something like that at any given time.

Would be neat, if with a cab you could pick a spot freely on the map, and/or even manually write an adress. Instead of looking at preassigned blips on the map.

The cabbie would take you there real time, or you could ipt to snooze off for the trip. And maybe even hop off midway, if you saw something interesting.

With train you’d of course go from station to station, but with the bonus (over cab drive) that you might be able to converse with other travellers.

These trips might - if the player doesn’t opt to skip them - even offer a chance for specific random encounters to keep things interesting (a variety, not all of which would be mandatory to take part in).

Last edited:
(Actual / simple) Fast travel or not, I can only recommend to those who look for "immersion" to go for the "natural options".

Natural options? If you can just teleport somewhere by clicking on a marker, reconsider. Use a car or 'tram' (if able to' instead. Or in simple terms use "natural means" and go there yourself.

Who knows what you find or what happens on the way.

In that sense I think having those means would be nice - cabs or cars that drive you there, using the sub or tram, etc.

I would go for making V's vehicle as a fast travel option in itself. We could have the option to either put it into autonomous driving mode or to choose to skip it altogether and just arrive at the wanted location.

I definitely need the option to fast travel, even though I like to explore a lot. It was perfect in TW3. If you want to speed things up, you can do that. If you don't want to do that, you don't have to.

Top Bottom