Some Nilfgaard cards are far too strong for their cost

+
I'm talking about Yennefer's Invocation, Tibor Eggebracht and Vilgefortz.
Perhaps less so with Invokation, but she can still produces very powerful plays ( also she's not kept in check by a randomness factor unlike similar cards)
Tibor and Vilger though... In all the many, many many times I've seen another player use them, I don't think I've ever seen the "cost" effect of using them backfire on the nilgardian player. In pretty much every case, both cards have the effect of forcibly using an enemy card and negating it. I mean negating because this effect makes the enemy unable to use their active deploy abilities, not be able to use of their order or passive abilities, since those can be blocked by the row onto which they're spawned as well as not be able to execute the unit formations that some cards require.
In practice they have the effect of "get a 13 value card and waste an enemy card" and "destroy an enemy card at no cost and waste an enemy card" (two if you're playing emhyr). Am I wrong here? Maybe I am but it feels like these cards' effectiveness is far greater than what their cost would suggest. And that's just when treating their effects by themselves, they get even more powerful in practice when working in combination with the variety of other cards nilfgard has which have the "waste" effect.

I think these cards are only problematic in one certain deck: Hyperthin :beer:. When you know for sure that you will draw Tibor when using Vilgefortz on one of your own units it is too strong. The cards themselves are ok, it is the extreme thinning that makes em kind of op.

I'm talking about Yennefer's Invocation, Tibor Eggebracht and Vilgefortz.

You haven't described in what kind of decks these cards are being used. Tibor and Vilgefortz, on their own, are fine. Only invocation can be overwhelming with Calveit. The root of the problem are not these cards, but Hyper-thin in general.

I agree that these cards are even more powerful in a thinning deck, especially in the combination you described.
But what i meant was that even on their own these cards seem a bit too inexpensive for effect they can have on the match.
I would have to check the costs of similar effect cards, but it seems like Vilgefortz would be poweful even if he just had an enemy destroy effect but he gets a bonus action of thinning the deck.
It's an odd card, both of them are. Like i said, considering the cost it almost seems like the power of the card was meant to be balanced by the risk of summoning a powerful enemy unit but ended up doubling up on the power instead.

I agree with the above. Very handy cards at a relatively low cost. I expect they will be raised in cost in the next update.

The root of the problem are not these cards, but Hyper-thin in general.

Which in fact is the only good way to play Xarthisius. Nerve too much and Xarthisius can enter the trashcan.

Hyperthin is a plague. Ardal being able to hyperthin is a plague. Usurper being able to hyperthin is a plague.
Shame and laughable balance.

Top Bottom