Building a gaming PC

+

mostly it is my incliantion to suggest the AMD Ryzen 3700x over the i7-9700k, while the threading won't help much in photo editing it will be way better in CAD and a solid chunk of change cheaper.

mostly it is my incliantion to suggest the AMD Ryzen 3700x over the i7-9700k, while the threading won't help much in photo editing it will be way better in CAD and a solid chunk of change cheaper.
Any reason not to stick with intel+nvidia? It's actually only a $30 difference right now. I do very very little CAD stuff, less than anything else really. Not even intense work, mainly to just create parts to 3D print

Any reason not to stick with intel+nvidia? It's actually only a $30 difference right now. I do very very little CAD stuff, less than anything else really. Not even intense work, mainly to just create parts to 3D print

Personal performance on a value for money front. is more like £50 difference where i am for basically the same performance. those productivity tasks you do a bit of would also feel the extra bandwidth that PCI-E 4 brings to NVME drives. which is only on the 500 series AMD main boards.

but this is not 10's of percentage points of performance. This is there is some extra performance for less money in some of the edge cases.

Personal performance on a value for money front. is more like £50 difference where i am for basically the same performance. those productivity tasks you do a bit of would also feel the extra bandwidth that PCI-E 4 brings to NVME drives. which is only on the 500 series AMD main boards.

but this is not 10's of percentage points of performance. This is there is some extra performance for less money in some of the edge cases.
Cool, understood. Everything else looks pretty decent for what I'm looking to do? I've been trying to research as much as I could on this recently. This fell into my "budget" but could easily justify more if there were reason to. Just mainly looking for solid 1080 performance with all the nice effects turned up. Doesn't have to be max but I wan't to get the most out of it

Cool, understood. Everything else looks pretty decent for what I'm looking to do? I've been trying to research as much as I could on this recently. This fell into my "budget" but could easily justify more if there were reason to. Just mainly looking for solid 1080 performance with all the nice effects turned up. Doesn't have to be max but I wan't to get the most out of it

Oh yes, you would not be disappointed with that build at 1080p. would even drive one of those ever so slightly mental 240hz refresh rate monitors (they are all 1920x1080 resolution) and take advantage of all the extra frames it can display.

I am moreso confused now :D
I wan a SSD drive for my Win 10. Just to work faster, wont be installing anything else on it. ALL other shit will be on a HDD...

... so I guess, taking under consideration all opinions, I will chose to buy sata3 SSD - Im not looking to gear up for a race between SSDs ;) a huge advantage over HDD is good enough for me.

Any suggestions which model should I choose? I aim for reliable or "heavy duty" so to speak ;)

I am moreso confused now :D
I wan a SSD drive for my Win 10. Just to work faster, wont be installing anything else on it. ALL other shit will be on a HDD...

... so I guess, taking under consideration all opinions, I will chose to buy sata3 SSD - Im not looking to gear up for a race between SSDs ;) a huge advantage over HDD is good enough for me.

Any suggestions which model should I choose? I aim for reliable or "heavy duty" so to speak ;)

Seagate, Samsung, Western digital. any of those would be a fine choice.

You could even look at Intel's Optane drives, but they are either hilariously tiny or hilariously expensive. are way more robust though.

Well shit.... I just found out that there is little price difference between SSD sata3 samsung and SSD M.2 sata samsung, both 500GB... wth?
550MB/s vs 3500MB/s is a huge difference! Can someone explain why they are priced almost the same?

SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
vs
SAMSUNG 860 EVO M.2 500GB SSD (MZ-N6E500BW)

Well shit.... I just found out that there is little price difference between SSD sata3 samsung and SSD M.2 sata samsung, both 500GB... wth?
550MB/s vs 3500MB/s is a huge difference! Can someone explain why they are priced almost the same?

vs

Same tech largely, it's the interface that makes the diffrence, M.2 NVME uses up to 4 PCI - E lanes for a single device, SATA uses 1 lane for multiple devices.

M.2 is great if you have limited space, is like the size of a stick of gum but if you have like 3 they can start using up some of the lanes your GFX card uses.

Where as if you have the space, you can have a bunch of Sata drives connected and do stuff like raid arrays

vs

Hm. Interesting. Well, if that's the case, and you have a mo-bo capable of doing NVMe...absolutely no reason not to. Seems like they decided not to capitalize on the "features" and just price them to move.

My guess is it's cutthroat. Ensures high volume of sales, means older hardware will be phased out more quickly (killing a lot of the competition), and it forces any competitors that remain to also price low. That, in turn, means newer competitors will have a harder time catching up to the established manufacturers. But, hey, it's cheap and it's better. Good for us, however it works.

A lot of reasons to avoid Nvidia, if you are a Linux user. As for CPUs, AMD processors are just better overall these days for lower price.
Post automatically merged:

By the way, Samsung NVMe SSDs dropped in price in the past year. They are a lot more affordable than before.

Last edited:
By the way, Samsung NVMe SSDs dropped in price in the past year.

Order a 970 evo myself a couple days ago because it was down to ~$170 for 1TB. I'm pretty sure they were a good bit over $200 for 1TB a month or two ago. Granted, I think Amazon is pulling the, "Let's jack the price up and slap 40% off on and hope nobody notices.", game in this particular case. I didn't see it on Newegg for the same price when I ordered.

My current SATA M.2 is getting a bit old. So I figured it was time to upgrade. I'll probably drop it in the other board M.2 slot for backup storage or something.

Ray tracing is a red herring, to pay for an RTX card really. I.e. the game will be perfectly playable without dedicated ASICs for it. Nvidia of course want to hype it up, but the hype is overblown.

In other news, Intel posted some hints about releasing their high end GPUs in June 2020.

Last edited:
You gotta get a RTX card man this game gonna have ray tracing.
As an owner of an RTX card, yes, it's impressive tech. Just go see digital foundry's analysis on Metro Exodus' global illumination:

But it just kills your frame rate, and since the game looks spectacular even without ray tracing, it's not really worth it.

As an owner of an RTX card, yes, it's impressive tech. Just go see digital foundry's analysis on Metro Exodus' global illumination:

But it just kills your frame rate, and since the game looks spectacular even without ray tracing, it's not really worth it.
I was going to sell my 1080 ti and get a 2080 ti to play with ray tracing. But i wanna have a steady 100fps. Do you think it's better to just keep my 1080 ti?

I was going to sell my 1080 ti and get a 2080 ti to play with ray tracing. But i wanna have a steady 100fps. Do you think it's better to just keep my 1080 ti?

that depends more on your resolution and settings than your GFX card. the 2080ti is a better card, setting for setting it will produce more frames per second.

Should you spend £1200 on one? fucked if i know, but it's not a concern about it's performance.

Ray tracing is a red herring, to pay for an RTX card really. I.e. the game will be perfectly playable without dedicated ASICs for it. Nvidia of course want to hype it up, but the hype is overblown.

In other news, Intel posted some hints about releasing their high end GPUs in June 2020.

Red Herring? how? will your tune change when next year when the AMD Radeon cards with it arrive? (they have the tech ready for the consoles, so it is coming)

No one doesn't want a hardware ray tracing solution, it's been the holy grail for like 25 years at least.

that depends more on your resolution and settings than your GFX card. the 2080ti is a better card, setting for setting it will produce more frames per second.

Should you spend £1200 on one? fucked if i know, but it's not a concern about it's performance.
Fair enough, gonna have to wait and see what CDPR says about it and maybe release some comparison pictures.

Top Bottom