What will happen to the original leader premium cards?

+
They are gone now, can't equip them as my favorite card :\ I loved the lute

I hope those artworks return one form or another

DRK3

Forum veteran
I think it's one of the worst decisions CDPR has made lately, those card arts were absolutely amazing.

I know the reasoning is probably linked to the new focus on skins in order to sell cosmetics, but i think in the long run this will come back to bite them in the... rear.

Extra leader cards. What happened to them?

This was probably answered somewhere, but I can't seem to find it, but what happened to extra copies of leader cards we had? I am assuming milled, but am not 100% sure. Thanks

I would like to know that too. They were craftable after all and they are gone now.
Also, i really liked that woodland spirit artwork, cant admire it anymore. :sad:

i imagine unlocking them with the new system gives you the skin and hero power, so you're asking for a refund for...card art?

i imagine unlocking them with the new system gives you the skin and hero power, so you're asking for a refund for...card art?
Your imagination is wrong. Instead of imagining things, why not simply check? The new system only gives the skin. Therefore the question about what happened with leader cards is a legitimate one.

So leaders used to be cards with cool art and specific abilities, played on the board. Makes perfect sense for a card game.
Then the leaders became 3D models with specific abilities and the leader cards were no longer played. Doesn't make sense for a card game, but it was intuitive (although less than cards as the devs have indicated themselves; people forgetting to play leader ability) and therefore worked.
Then the leader 3D models became meaningless puppets, because their specific abilities were decoupled and are now represented by icons that all look the same. Looks silly and is not intuitive at all.

Really, let's go back to leader cards and remove the 3D models. This also provides more space, allowing a larger board (yes!). It's very cool to play a leader card on the board with an interesting ability, providing possibilities for fun card interactions. Different card art with the same leader can represent different leader abilities, just like in Witcher 3 Gwent.

Last edited:

Guest 4342399

I was really hoping for my Radovid card back. I think they should of kept the leaders and abilities tied. It gave the abilities a face at least. If that makes any sense...

I was really hoping for my Radovid card back. I think they should of kept the leaders and abilities tied. It gave the abilities a face at least. If that makes any sense...
That makes perfect sense. Leaders and abilities are associated and this makes it intuitive. That's leader and ability branding. If you see Emhyr, you immediately know what to expect, if you see some silly icon that looks like all the others, you don't.

That makes perfect sense. Leaders and abilities are associated and this makes it intuitive. That's leader and ability branding. If you see Emhyr, you immediately know what to expect, if you see some silly icon that looks like all the others, you don't.

They can keep both things, assosiation and the not assosiated avatars. Just put the leaders cards again in hand, revealed to the oponent and change the VS screen for the leader card art, simple. Let the avatar 3d just as a cosmetic for fun, as now.

I think it's one of the worst decisions CDPR has made lately, those card arts were absolutely amazing.

I know the reasoning is probably linked to the new focus on skins in order to sell cosmetics, but i think in the long run this will come back to bite them in the... rear.
I would not personally say it's the worst idea they had but I agree with the general idea. I'm not sure it was a good move, especially because, as you said, we're loosing those amazing arts on leader cards (good lord, it's flat out criminal to remove Dana's art, this card was astonishing!).

And yes it's made to sell cosmetics but ironically, I have the feeling it's gonna have the opposite effect, let me explain.
When leaders were associated to an effect I always try to get the skin I liked the most for all of them, because you never know who you will play tomorrow. Even if a leader doesn't suits you or is to weak at one point, he/she can become much better in a future patch.

Now, however, I don't need to do that anymore, what's the point? Leaders are just skins. So I just pick my favorite leader for each faction and roll with that. I straight up gave up to upgrade the other leaders since I will never have to play them ever.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only person to have that though process but it doesn't have the intended effect on myself, that's for sure.

Now, having said that, it has some upsides too. You can play the leader you want with the effect you want, I like that and I'm not gonna deny it. At the end it doesn't make that much difference but CDPR HAVE to reintroduce the leader arts one way or another because that's a huge loss imo.

Also, kind of a different topic but still related, CDPR with their "Radovid is back"...
I was super excited when I saw that and couldn't wait to see his new effect, especially considering he may not be the only new leader around.
Imagine my face when I realize there is no new effect and Radovid is just a skin...

Last edited:
Now, having said that, it has some upsides too. You can play the leader you want with the effect you want, I like that and I'm not gonna deny it.

Most leaders kinda fit their archetype, but Brouver was the big exception because he was rarely used with Dwarfs, instead Filavandrel was used and now Fran. So, while I don't like Brouver as much as the other ST leaders, it's only fitting to use him with Dwarfs. Unfortunately, these lore considerations rarely apply to other leaders.

Most leaders kinda fit their archetype, but Brouver was the big exception because he was rarely used with Dwarfs, instead Filavandrel was used and now Fran. So, while I don't like Brouver as much as the other ST leaders, it's only fitting to use him with Dwarfs. Unfortunately, these lore considerations rarely apply to other leaders.
Yes, I agree with that.
In fact it makes for some odd combinations, like people playing King of beggars with Horeson's effect or Brouver with traps...Doesn't fit the lore at all. CDPR made an okay job to make leaders fitting to their effects in general (I say okay because, yeah, Brouver ending not being the Dwarf leader really felt weird. The same stands for Eredin, even though I can't really see any deck that would fit him in the current state of the game...When you realize that Wild hunt was a thing at one point in the history of Gwent lol).

I believe they will add them as playing cards. I think maybe even Slama hinted for something like that.

BTW, that change with "skills" instead Leaders is one of the few things that I actually like CDPR went for. Unfortunately the balance considering big parts of the game is at all time low... again.

Im really pissed, noticed it today that all my premium leader cards are just gone... I hope there will be mini update with them added as playable cards or something... Not nice CDPR!

I believe they will add them as playing cards. I think maybe even Slama hinted for something like that.
You mean an actual card of Gwent with the art of Franscesca, for example.

Could work...Better if it's a special like Emyr's council or some stuffs like that, otherwise it's gonna feel really weird.
Like, playing Eredin vs Gernicora, "I'm playing you!" or Brouver being "I'm playing...myself!"

Not that it would be a huge problem for me personally (and let's be honest, you can already multiple instances of Zoltan or Iris in the same deck, for example) but I'm pretty sure some peoples won't be too happy with that and that's something I could be able to understand.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I would not personally say it's the worst idea they had but I agree with the general idea. I'm not sure it was a good move, especially because, as you said, we're loosing those amazing arts on leader cards (good lord, it's flat out criminal to remove Dana's art, this card was astonishing!).

And yes it's made to sell cosmetics but ironically, I have the feeling it's gonna have the opposite effect, let me explain.
When leaders were associated to an effect I always try to get the skin I liked the most for all of them, because you never know who you will play tomorrow. Even if a leader doesn't suits you or is to weak at one point, he/she can become much better in a future patch.

Now, however, I don't need to do that anymore, what's the point? Leaders are just skins. So I just pick my favorite leader for each faction and roll with that. I straight up gave up to upgrade the other leaders since I will never have to play them ever.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only person to have that though process but it doesn't have the intended effect on myself, that's for sure.

Now, having said that, it has some upsides too. You can play the leader you want with the effect you want, I like that and I'm not gonna deny it. At the end it doesn't make that much difference but CDPR HAVE to reintroduce the leader arts one way or another because that's a huge loss imo.

Also, kind of a different topic but still related, CDPR with their "Radovid is back"...
I was super excited when I saw that and couldn't wait to see his new effect, especially considering he may not be the only new leader around.
Imagine my face when I realize there is no new effect and Radovid is just a skin...

I've played quite a lot on this update and you're definitely not the only one with that mindset, i see that many players are using their favourite leader, but with the most powerful ability of the faction (every SC is Mystic Echo, every NR is Pincer Maneuver)

Personally, i prefer to still use the leader that was associated with that ability, i got +800h on HC, not to mention the time in betas, and it's hard to separate things that i already knew so well.

If you ask me CDP Red could've just kept the leader ability and skin linked up as they were, but allow skins like Radovid to be used faction wide. Then it wouldn't be the mess like it is now, with leader abilities represented by icons that look really similar and names were most mean close to nothing. The latter can be easily changed by more identifiable names. Call Inspired Zeal Temeria instead because it used to be Foltest's ability, or Fortification Keadwen because it used to be Henselt's.

Last edited:
If you ask me CDP Red could've just kept the leader ability and skin linked up as they were,

And we would continue to lose the possibility of neutral avatars that would add much more variety of customization.
The leaders were perfect as cards.

Call Inspired Zeal Temeria instead because it used to be Foltest's ability, or Fortification Keadwen because it used to be Henselt's.

Inspired Zeal is very descriptive. What could "Temeria" be if we only see the name? The first thing I would think about is summong a soldier, I would never relate it to the zeal.

Top Bottom