What will happen to the original leader premium cards?

+
Here's hoping they don't dig that hole deeper and release them as cards.

If leaders don't come back in a couple of patches the game officially loses a lot of flavor and intuitiveness. No one, not even gwent official partners or streamers, uses the ability icons or names a lot of the times. It's a complete afterthought to the monetization question and they know it. Even from a business standpoint the game is probably losing a lot of value in marketing and losing player interest from casual players who only queue into 1 or 2 skins and nothing more. Not to mention the broken mess the decoupling caused and will cause if they try to release as is to iOS. Even iOS marketing has leader cards which goes to show how much of an afterthought decoupling is or just how disjointed the marketing and development teams are.

There's several ways they could have implemented this in a better, more intuitive way that didn't just drop a chunk of the game's originality down the drain.

You mean an actual card of Gwent with the art of Franscesca, for example.

Could work...Better if it's a special like Emyr's council or some stuffs like that, otherwise it's gonna feel really weird.
Like, playing Eredin vs Gernicora, "I'm playing you!" or Brouver being "I'm playing...myself!"

Not that it would be a huge problem for me personally (and let's be honest, you can already multiple instances of Zoltan or Iris in the same deck, for example) but I'm pretty sure some peoples won't be too happy with that and that's something I could be able to understand.

Well there's already King of Beggars playing King of Beggars, Whoreson Junior playing Whoreson Junior, Dijkstra playing Dijkstra, Cleaver playing Cleaver...

I dislike the decoupling but if they're going with it I'd be okay them bringing the leader cards as units. As just one example Iorveth has always been a unit in Scoia when it really should've been leader all along

And we would continue to lose the possibility of neutral avatars that would add much more variety of customization.
The leaders were perfect as cards.
Neutral avatars were always there. Look at the top and bottom left of the screen.

As I said, if they had expanded the existing system to allow only skins that you buy to override the existing ones, I think it would've done the job just as well.

Inspired Zeal is very descriptive. What could "Temeria" be if we only see the name? The first thing I would think about is summong a soldier, I would never relate it to the zeal.
'What could "Temeria" be if we only see the name?' What do you mean? How is that any different to when they were simply named after their ruler?

Sadly not all of the new names are as descriptive. But my main point on this is that the new names don't exactly roll of the tongue. That'd be better to keep them short and to the point, like with the classes in Hearthstone.

I've played quite a lot on this update and you're definitely not the only one with that mindset, i see that many players are using their favourite leader, but with the most powerful ability of the faction (every SC is Mystic Echo, every NR is Pincer Maneuver)

Personally, i prefer to still use the leader that was associated with that ability, i got +800h on HC, not to mention the time in betas, and it's hard to separate things that i already knew so well.
I can understand that and in fact, one thing that bothers me when I play a leader that does't belong to the original effect, is their effect that doesn't always make much sense now.
Like Eithne shooting with her bow to boost unit in your hand...Everytime I'm like "What the hell are you doing lady?"

Well there's already King of Beggars playing King of Beggars, Whoreson Junior playing Whoreson Junior, Dijkstra playing Dijkstra, Cleaver playing Cleaver...
Oh wow, I totally forgot that. This is absolutely true.
Well I guess it's time for more "I play my own self" shennanigans then.

Neutral avatars were always there. Look at the top and bottom left of the screen.

This was a thread about portraits? No. Here we talk about the 3d avatars, which currently are just that, they are no longer leaders.

As I said, if they had expanded the existing system to allow only skins that you buy to override the existing ones, I think it would've done the job just as well.

What you say is that if they put a Trololo avatar and someone used it instead of Foltest it would not be bad (for you) to see a troll commanding an army with Zeal ..... but it is wrong to see Adda do the same?

'What could "Temeria" be if we only see the name?' What do you mean? How is that any different to when they were simply named after their ruler?

Foltest, Temeria, Inspired Zeal or french fries, all are almost the same since none belongs to Foltest now, so the most descriptive is the one that best suits the new role.
I don't know which one you mean by that it doesn't look like the effect.

Like Eithne shooting with her bow to boost unit in your hand...Everytime I'm like "What the hell are you doing lady?"

You can fall in love with a cupid arrow right? Ethine took her lessons with him, only she gives you "damage of power"?

On the other hand, they did not say that they would put animations for each leadership in each skin (at least the future ones)? I thought I read that Radovid has special animations for each effect.

Last edited:
You can fall in love with a cupid arrow right? Ethine took her calses with him, only she gives you "damage of power"?
Yeah, actually makes sense.

Really for Radovid? Interesting, I don't have the leader myself and I still haven't faced a single Radovid online yet.
It may be a sign of this change not being super good for business, when new leaders came with an effect everybody were playing them (assumably spending reward points to get them) but without the effect it's obviously less appealing, I can't blame players for that.

Maybe it will come later, we shall see.

Really for Radovid? Interesting, I don't have the leader myself and I still haven't faced a single Radovid online yet.

We all have one base Radovid skin, and yes, i can confirm..he has animations for each of the leadership effects.
I have switched 3 times between Royal inspiration(Meve), Mobilization(Henselt) and Inspired Zeal (Foltest).

I think we'll see the previous ones updated later.

What you say is that if they put a Trololo avatar and someone used it instead of Foltest it would not be bad (for you) to see a troll commanding an army with Zeal ..... but it is wrong to see Adda do the same?
Yes. Adda has a power, or used to. Trololo never had one.

I don't know which one you mean by that it doesn't look like the effect.
I said nothing about looks, that wasn't my main point.

We all have one base Radovid skin
Wait what?
I don't. I have to spend reward points in the reward book to get the skin.
If it's what you meant, I personally haven't done that just yet.
If not, I'm interested...I mean, I'm not dying to play him necessarily but I like freebies.

I said nothing about looks, that wasn't my main point.

I get it , your main point is "I cant see a leader doing something different than i remember, even if that action is complete different than the actions the same leader has donde before"
A beta player could say the same thing about seeing a leader doing something different from what he was used to seeing before HC.
I guess it's valid but at the same time I see it less complicated than at that time where they changed their skills completely and some even disappeared along with their archetype(RIP Dagon and weathers).

Wait what?
I don't. I have to spend reward points in the reward book to get the skin.
If it's what you meant, I personally haven't done that just yet.
If not, I'm interested...I mean, I'm not dying to play him necessarily but I like freebies.

I simply entered in the game while writing here to see the cost of Radovid and there it was (move the list of avatars to the end, the base is behind the Zerrikania version)

I get it , your main point is "I cant see a leader doing something different than i remember, even if that action is complete different than the actions the same leader has donde before"
A beta player could say the same thing about seeing a leader doing something different from what he was used to seeing before HC.
I guess it's valid but at the same time I see it less complicated than at that time where they changed their skills completely and some even disappeared along with their archetype(RIP Dagon and weathers).

I simply entered in the game while writing here to see the cost of Radovid and there it was (move the list of avatars to the end, the base is behind the Zerrikania version)
That's what I did but he's locked for me "can be unlocked in the reward book" they say.
I guess I was a bad kid this season, which is true, I confess it, I took a very long break from Gwent so, yeah, the way you explains it, it feels like it may be some kind of reward for peoples who took part of the previous season, which is fair.

I honestly didn't think as far back as beta, but I get where you're coming from. I almost consider beta and HC Gwent to be completely separate games.

And yeah, still waiting for Dagon to come back, and I remember Redanian Knights in beta were always fun to play on a frozen row.

That's what I did but he's locked for me "can be unlocked in the reward book" they say.
I guess I was a bad kid this season, which is true, I confess it, I took a very long break from Gwent so, yeah, the way you explains it, it feels like it may be some kind of reward for peoples who took part of the previous season, which is fair.

You're right. I had spent 200 points on random trees just to get creation materials and I forgot I had the IJ expansion one, I never tried to unlock that design.

I honestly didn't think as far back as beta, but I get where you're coming from. I almost consider beta and HC Gwent to be completely separate games.

And yeah, still waiting for Dagon to come back, and I remember Redanian Knights in beta were always fun to play on a frozen row.

0% differences with you in those matters. :beer:

Top Bottom