Some Names and their Meanings in The Witcher Series [Spoilers]

+
And his sword was a scimitar, so I had thought his outfit design was influenced by eastern figures.
Similar. The weaponry and mediaeval dress of Eastern Europe were broadly influenced by Middle-Eastern, and Asian, fashions (more noticeably than in Germany or France, that is).

And now, a few place-names:

Brokilon - The forest-land of the Dryads, possibly inspired by the marvellous Forest of Broceliande (various spellings), which figures into Arthurian romance and Breton folklore. Notably, it was the wood in which the wizard Merlin was enchanted by his lover and apprentice, the deceiving sorceress Vivien, or Nimue. Unfortunately, I was unable to find an entirely satisfactory etymology for this name, beyond roots in Breton Celtic.

Ellander - The duchy within Temeria, where the healer Nenneke makes her home, similar in appearance to the modern German word Elend, 'misery, distress, or poverty', (an Elender being a 'wretch', or 'miserable person'), with an original meaning akin to 'outland', or 'exile'. Given that Geralt's misery, and wounds, are tended in Ellander, the connection is not impossible.

Lyria - One of the realms ruled by Queen Meve, the name bears striking resemblance to the word lyre, the musical instrument, and its derivatives lyric, lyrical, etc. The etymology is a bit complex, but the Greek word for lyre, lura, may be linked to the act of lauding, or praising, in this case in song, accompanied by the lyre. Lyria has a reputation as a pleasant land, thus this could be a reference to its praise-worthy qualities, or simply evoke the idea of lyrical music, scenery, and luxury.

Rivia - The other realm ruled by Queen Meve, possibly related to the word river (akin to Latin rivus), or from the archaic English verb rive, 'to rend or tear' (as in riven). I incline towards this latter, especially since the German version of the name is Rivien, and the capital Riva, which is mildly suggestive, it is identical to the Old Frisian form of rive. Also, since Lyria and Rivia are twin realms, the concept of one of them bearing a name meaning 'torn' or 'separated' does not seem too far-fetched.

Temeria - Based on King Foltest's various amorous alliances, I think it likely that the kingdom's name could derive from the Latin verb temerare, meaning, 'to violate (sexually), defile, or pollute'. Whether this is what Sapkowski had in mind or not, the similarity in words is darkly fitting.

Temeria: either from Latin “temerē” (“by chance, casually, rashly”) or English “temerity” (“reckless boldness, foolish bravery”) that derives from it
You posted as I was preparing my proposed derivation. Good alternative, though! Apparently, the root temer- means 'darkness', thus the concept of 'blind' bravery, or recklessness.

I could see at least Roche and his commandos fitting a description of Temerians that would be derived from that first derivation. The second one is really dark but also definitely sounds like it would fit in the world's general theme, and indeed does describe Foltest.

Lyria has a reputation as a pleasant land, thus this could be a reference to its praise-worthy qualities, or simply evoke the idea of lyrical music, scenery, and luxury.
Based on what Lyria is like in Thronebreaker, both of these could be accurate.

(as in riven)
It's funny... because it was posted by you, Riven. :)

It's funny... because it was posted by you, Riven.
Remarkable coincidence, eh?
Hero of Aedirn emote black 44 TP.png

Guest 3847602

Both Deidre and Sabrina have origins in Celtic culture. Diédrè means fear, while Sabrina is latinizied form of Hafren/Habren, legendary princess in pre-Roman Britain.

Both Deidre and Sabrina have origins in Celtic culture.
Indeed. The one was an unhappy Irish heroine, who died of a broken heart, while the other was, according to legend, drowned in the river Severn (Hafren, Habern) in Wales. Her name most probably derives from the Severn itself, as it is one of the eldest British river names.
Diédrè means fear
Interesting. I've also seen the proposed meanings 'sorrow', 'compassion', and even 'young girl', from Middle Irish der. This latter seems rather dubious, as the myth is far older.

An intriguing possibility, which never occurred to me. Good find! Considering Redania's strong fortifications, this seems particularly fitting.

Etymology: Redan, French, variant of redent, 'notching as of a saw', referring to the jagged, tooth-like pattern created by the earthworks; re (here indicating repetition) + dent, 'tooth'.

Olgierd von Everec: Potentially highly modified form of Scandinavian heill, ‘hale, healthy, happy’ + gerd (often seen as gard), an enclosure, fortress, or ‘yard’; thus, ‘fortunate estate’ (highly ironic).
Everec: Germanic, from eofor (Old English), or eber (German), for ‘boar’ + ric, ‘kingdom’, ‘domain’, ‘property’, or ruler thereof. Since the family name uses the German von, it should, technically, be Eberich, which would be the appropriate version for that language. (An alternative from of the first name would be Helgard.) Of note, the von Everec coat of arms features a boar, and the beasts are found in abundance near the estate. (Note also: Potential wordplay on forever, and Everec.)
Riven-Twain,
Just two questions:
Were you aware that Olgierd is a real name of the really existed Lithuanian prince from 14 century?
Did you know that Helgard is a real Germanic name?

Were you aware that Olgierd is a real name of the really existed Lithuanian prince from 14 century?
Did you know that Helgard is a real Germanic name?
Hey there. Thanks for the questions. At the time, I was not aware of the historical Olgierd, although I never doubted it was a real name. I was more interested in exploring potential meaning, rather than the historical examples or parallels. I was dimly aware of the German name Helgard, though. I am still unable to locate a satisfactorily documented etymology for the name Olgierd, however, so if you've found a reference, please, feel free to share.
Cheers.

Top Bottom