Any way to get those loot dialogue boxes smaller?

+
Since i last played The Witcher 3, the loot dialogue boxes have gotten big!!!

Is there any way to make them smaller again? The text is too big and the box hides one quarter of the screen. I tried the HUD setting and set it to small, but it had no effect.

Maybe there's a mod for this, if it's not possible natively?

You may have accidentally clicked the mouse wheel, that makes the boxes larger. Clicking again will revert the change. (I think it's the mouse wheel, anyway... there's a tooltip shown on at least the skills page.)

But that's only for inside the tooltips in the inventory etc. When i click the left thumbstick (i play w- controller) it toggles the box larger or smaller.

What i'm talking about is the giant box that covers your screen when you click on something you want to loot. It used to be quite a bit smaller when i played the game the last time.

Last edited:
You may also have switched the game's resolution to a lower one. Especially if you were playing on something higher than 1080p before, you'll notice elements of the UI have scaled up.

I raised the resolution to @1400p before starting the playthrough.

I read that the these dialogue boxes were made bigger after complaints that people can't read the text. But why not make this a setting, why force it on all people? And how can someone get immersed into a game if they sit 5 meters away from their screen? SMH.

Alright, i'll try searching for mods on Nexus.

A user interface is largely 2D elements, and 2D images are not always infinitely scalable. Often, if a UI needs to be available at different resolutions, much of it must be completely redone from the ground up for each resolution step. Same with aspect ratios. (A game can't magically fill the screen real-estate for ultra-widescreen monitors, for example. Someone will need to create all of the UI elements for the wider displays, expanding on the artwork and such to fill the space according to those, particular dimensions.)

Therefore, most games / UIs only display correctly for a limited range of resolutions and aspect ratios. So, in a sense, it would be like purchasing a small hatchback, then asking why it can't have the trunk-space that a van has. That would need to be specifically built into the car to be available. By default, TW3 should display correctly in either 720p or 1080p at a 16:9 aspect ratio. Anything else, and the display will be forced to squish or stretch the images. Or it will leave parts cut off / draw beyond the borders of the UI.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand. I play in standard 16:9 ratio, just 2560x1440 instead of 1920x1080. If the UI didn't scale, the text would be much smaller in this resolution (like i'd like it to be).

Besides, if the tooltips in the inventory have two different sizes (big and small) and they can be switched smoothly with the left thumbstick click, it's clear that this box scales smoothly. The same box that shows the loot stays big, instead of changing as well. It's just not logical.

But it's a moot point now. The devs clearly changed the boxes to accommodate the console players with their small TV screens, oblivious that it's more difficult to read for PC gamers when text is too big, and it just doesn't look good. But oh well...

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand. I play in standard 16:9 ratio, just 2560x1440 instead of 1920x1080. If the UI didn't scale, the text would be much smaller in this resolution (like i'd like it to be).

Besides, if the tooltips in the inventory have two different sizes (big and small) and they can be switched smoothly with the left thumbstick click, it's clear that this box scales smoothly. The same box that shows the loot stays big, instead of changing as well. It's just not logical.

But it's a moot point now. The devs clearly changed the boxes to accommodate the console players with their small TV screens, oblivious that it's more difficult to read for PC gamers when text is too big, and it just doesn't look good. But oh well...

Okay, I don't think I'm understanding you completely.

True 1:1 will exist at 1920x1080 for 1080p.
True 1:1 will exist at 1280x720 for 720p.
^ If the text is not clearly readable for those two resolutions, or if it seems far too large on the screen, then something weird is going on.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? At least then, we can determine if it's displaying properly. (I'm not yet sure if you simply want it to be different or if something may have been borked in the game at some point.)

They did increase the font size as some point. It was not small screens that were causing the issue, it was large screens. And it was both console and PC users that were calling for it. The letters were shrinking down to fine print on higher-res screens in general.

Last edited:
Here's what i mean. Don't mind the strong sharpening - i play the game on my Rift S in Stereo3D and need it sharp for clarity. And when i'm inside the HMD, the loot dialogue looks bigger and takes up a quarter of my vision. It was smaller 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Here's what i mean. Don't mind the strong sharpening - i play the game on my Rift S in Stereo3D and need it sharp for clarity. And when i'm inside the HMD, the loot dialogue looks bigger and takes up a quarter of my vision. It was smaller 2 years ago.

The size and visibility of the font has nothing to do with sharpening...that will only affect how much different textures "pop". It's a way to mitigate the fuzziness that anti-aliasing introduces and generally increase the contrast between colors. This will not affect the text at all.

25% of the screen taken up by a tooltip? That doesn't sound right. Can you take a screenshot? (Ah...the Imgur link wasn't popping up on my end.)

After seeing that, I can assure you that's correct. If that's still too big, you could either increase your resolution to 1440p+ or check for a mod that alters it. You may want to ask around in Mod Discussions as well. It could be that the old font size is still available...

Last edited:
Top Bottom