Different Living Through Chemistry

+
[Preamble] So I've got a wicked respiratory infection right now and am only breathing because of a couple of nifty medicines, but these medicines are making me incredibly spacey and it kind of adjusted which parts of my personality are more at the forefront, and all of this got me thinking:

[Actual Post] Drugs in games usually do +x someStat -y otherStat and if it is a "fun" drug then maybe it fuzzes the camera a bit, and that's fine and all I'm a fan, but how do you feel about a game using drugs to attempt to alter how we perceive/approach the game either instead of or in addition to the stat modifiers? Do you think this could be effective for you?

Examples:
- dialogue gets emphasized differently to imply a different emotion/meaning behind it, player response options could be reordered to put the fitting responses to the top, even changes in punctuation and font can alter interpretation.
- subtle UI & audio tweaks like color filters apply to change the mood, like uppers might make things just a little prettier and threat identification is lessened, aggression ones might make things more stark except for weapons and such that might get highlighted trying to make the user more on edge.
-I'm hitting a lull now so I'm out, but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Hey,
those mechanics are already present in some ways, don't they?
Dialogue options based on stats, action checks based on skills,...

There were quite many situations in Witcher 3 when Geralt was drunk and fought, talked, hunted monsters, dressed, undressed,...

Hey,
those mechanics are already present in some ways, don't they?
Dialogue options based on stats, action checks based on skills,...

There were quite many situations in Witcher 3 when Geralt was drunk and fought, talked, hunted monsters, dressed, undressed,...
For sure those things are in there, but I'm thinking coming the other way too, like when sober you might read an NPC's statement as:
"Um, that challenge is really strong, are you sure you're up to it?"
but when under the influence your character is filtering/interpreting this differently so instead you read:
"Hah that challenge is really strong, you aren't up to THAT!"

So in this case it is less than giving the player a new dialogue option for the character to say, and more conveying information differently to try to invoke the influence in the player.

Top Bottom