The sheer scale of Night City

+
I do believe Heywood at the very least will be less vertical. In fact, it really shouldn't have much verticality at all -- it's supposed to essentially be the Beaverville of 2077, a suburban housing tract.

Overall, I don't know what to think. The optimistic part of me wants to go with @Rawls theory.

Overall my guesses would put the size of the map larger than the Novigrad/Velen portion of TW3 map, but smaller than the overall map.

This seems likely, and it would be in line with the "bit smaller" claim. I just find it so hard to believe that the full map would be smaller than Los Santos alone.

Let’s keep the speculations going :cool: So, after pondering a bit about what’s been discussed around here recently, I’ve come up with this:

cp2077-map-speculation-01.jpg

I’m confident about the pink and teal locations; not too much about V’s position, and the green and especially the orange locations, though. Let’s see what you all think about it.

Last edited:
I think the area you have labeled Westbrook is still Watson, specifically Kubaki (which the 2019 Demo explicitly said was Watson).

View attachment 11022605

Here is the shot of the no tell motel

View attachment 11022611

Which was implied to be in this part of the city from the demo in the shot immediately before the shot above:

View attachment 11022608
That part of the city is pretty clearly the area East of V's apartment (which would be the area you have labeled Westbrook on the map). That would also be fairly consistent with where Kubaki is listed as being (to the right of the relevant canal) on the metro map.
I disagree with the part about how No Tell Motel is implied to be in the part of the city shown in the first shot of the 2019 trailer (the cluster).

I rather got the feeling that No Tell Motel was across the river from the cluster shown in the first shot. When we see the motel (just before V arrives), we see in the background across the river (in my opinion) the cluster from the first shot. That would put No Tell Motel in Watson, but the cluster in the background is across the river and not neccessarily a part of Watson anymore, but a part of Westbrook.

Let’s keep the speculations going :cool: So, after pondering a bit about what’s been discussed around here recently, I’ve come up with this:

View attachment 11022650

I’m confident about the pink and teal locations; not too much about V’s position, and the green and especially the orange locations, though. Let’s see what you all think about it.
Other than the orange part I totally agree. Good job.

View attachment 11022650

Nice work. I'd only put V's location a bit lower, between the two bridges. The southern bridge (marked as 1) is the one we see right after we make a turn towards the cluster, just before the car chase scene in 2018 demo. The more northern one (marked as 2) is the one left of V when we stop to observe the vista. We drive under it then and go further up North to meet with the corpos.
20191204_102501.png

Edit: assuming of course that V is standing at the same spot in that promotional picture you used and in the 2018 demo when taking in the vista.

Last edited:
I disagree with the part about how No Tell Motel is implied to be in the part of the city shown in the first shot of the 2019 trailer (the cluster).
Kubaki is clearly marked on the East side of the canal from V's apartment on the metro map ... which is the same area shown in the 2019 demo right before they show no tell motel. I feel really confident that area is Kubaki.

kubaki (2)_LI.jpg

kubaki3_LI.jpg

Now of course metro maps are not meant to be interpreted 100% literally, but they aren't going to put an area of the city on the wrong side of a body of water.

Kubaki is clearly marked on the East side of the canal from V's apartment on the metro map ... which is the same area shown in the 2019 demo right before they show no tell motel. I feel really confident that area is Kubaki.

View attachment 11022677

View attachment 11022680

Now of course metro maps are not meant to be interpreted 100% literally, but they aren't going to put an area of the city on the wrong side of a body of water.
Ah, got me there, nice observation about the metro map.

I'm definitely even more interested in the whole thing now!

18 x 400 + 2x0.5 1 x 400 = 7600 meters...

V'S AVERAGE DRIVING SPEED IN THE DEMO:

7600m : 23m/s = 330.5 seconds = 5.5 minutes

THE AVERAGE PLAYER'S (?) DRIVING SPEED:

7600m : 25-27m/s = ~280-300 seconds = ~4.5-5 minutes

That's it. The entire city will be traversable in 4.5-5 minutes, and that's cruising speed. Going at maximum speed, that'll be 3.5-4 minutes (probably).

What do you all think?
Seeing how traversing the entire map (not just the city, but it's surroundings as well) with a car at full speed in GTA V in a straight line takes around 4 minutes, I would say that's pretty good by open world standards. Then of course we still have Badlands on top of that.

There's a clear spot on Corpo Plaza that might indicate the presence of a park. Definitely not as big as the one in 2020, though.
that's the thing though, the yellow map is bare bones when it comes to detail, compare it to the the chunk of physical map we've seen, city center/corpo plaza is littered with skyscrapers yet nowhere as much in the yellow map
i also believe they didn't outline every road but i could be wrong

9.jpg

The obsession over geography here almost meets mine over gameplay systems and mechanics. :D
CDPR advertises NC as a megalopolis, no wonder why people obsess over its size, although i think Parsifal takes autism into a whole another level with those calculations :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to do an overlay of the metro map on the "yellow map" and Morro Bay map.

Night City 3.png

After giving it a shot, I don't think the map we've seen so far can be the whole thing. Fitting all ten metro lines in that space would be hard.

Last edited:
Love it! Just saw the map leak and came here to post it, more people were interested than I thought. I posted this a while back.

1575474242308.png

This is the distance between each point in the demo, where 1 pixel is 1 meter. I did this because I wanted to see what the distance was between V's apartment building and some antennas showed in the first E3 trailer. I don't have the tools at work, but can someone overlay this onto the leaked map? We should get an exact scale then.

The obsession over geography here almost meets mine over gameplay systems and mechanics. :D

What can I say? Despite not being out yet, I’m really liking this game.

I don't think the map we've seen so far can be the whole thing.

I’d say that’s the thing the majority of us can agree the most about that map.

CDPR advertises NC as a megalopolis, no wonder why people obsess over its size

In my case, I don’t care what PR calls it, as long as it doesn’t end up being either tiny or hugely humongous I don’t give that much of a hoot about the size, otherwise I would’ve disliked games like Fallout: New Vegas and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided :LOL: I care more about the city’s layout and art direction, to name just a couple of things.

I don't know about the rest of you but one things I intend to do early in the game (time pressure from the main story-line permitting) is spend a few hours just wandering around the city seeing what's where, and probably getting my ass shot off by going somewhere I shouldn't have, let's hear it for saved games !

That new map seems to explain why there was so much trouble trying to fit the demo locations on the metro map, the metro map is not accurate at all. I made a quick edit of my old map, the locations do not line up perfectly yet, but they mostly make sense now, and are a lot better than with the metro map:
cp2077new.jpg

White = V's apartment
Pink = skyscraper on the other side of the canal, visible from V's apartment
Small red = ripperdoc
Light blue with white outline = left turn with the car before the scavenger attack
Green = point of panning view
Orange = tower that can be seen about to the south from this point
Lime = large building with Arasaka logo
Large cyan = Orbital Air (likely inaccurate location)
Dark blue = building with antennas on the roof (seen shortly before the meeting point)
Sky blue = large "cyberware" building seen on the right before the meeting point
Magenta = meeting point
Small cyan = All Food factory
Purple with white outline = "Fuyutsuki" building visible at the end of the demo
Large red = metro location on the trailer, this particular one is only a guess and probably wrong
Edit: it also looks like the actual city is not as large as originally thought, the above picture shows an area of 5x5 km.

Last edited:
I will take a smaller dense map filled with content and activities where you can enter a lot of buildings over a huge empty city like GTA, Watch Dogs etc any day.

CDPR doesn't have an unlimited budget, time and people to make a GTA 5 sized map AND do all of the above.

Quality of content should never suffer due to size, especially not in a game like this.

I will take a smaller dense map filled with content and activities where you can enter a lot of buildings over a huge empty city like GTA, Watch Dogs etc any day.

CDPR doesn't have an unlimited budget, time and people to make a GTA 5 sized map AND do all of the above.

Quality of content should never suffer due to size, especially not in a game like this.
CDPR has a massive team and budget, for the record. They are no longer a tiny little indie studio.

Granted, they are not Rockstar's size, but that's not exactly a fair point of comparison in the first place, because most companies aren't.

There's no reason CDPR can't make an impressive, dense city that is still fairly large (horizontally too). Novigrad already blew many minds due to how realistic it felt, and that was on a MUCH, much smaller budget, with a much smaller team, and with older, less-advanced technology.

With improvements in each of these areas, it's perfectly reasonable to expect both a decent sized map and nice content density -- and that's precisely what they've promised to deliver. We all know the map won't be Watch Dogs 2 or GTA V size, and that's for the best. But something a bit smaller than Velen and Novigrad combined? Seems perfectly reasonable to me. By ditching the extra size, verticality can be increased.

Top Bottom