Why have voiced protagonist?

+
Yeah i would love to have a silent protagonist with more added dialogue choices but i think this won’t happen^^

Having more dialogue choices would mean more NPC answers, which in turn would increase amount of voice recording anyway. If amount of dialogue is important to you, then it's better to have no voiced characters at all.

I would prefer less dialogue options, but meaningful. Asking generic questions just to get generic answers is pointless in my book.

V is in every aspect a blank slate beside of the forced job and nickname but i think this is a perfect character to roleplay as yourself or a character you think would fit for that role.I mean rpgs are about choice especially when character creation is involved
I don't think this is true. V clearly has some set motivations that vary based on lifepath.

Street Kid - They say if you wanna understand the streets, you've gotta live 'em. Gangs, fixers, dolls, small time pushers - this V was raised by them all. Down here law of the jungle dictates the weak serve the strong - the only law in Night City V has yet to break.

Nomad
- Roaming the badlands, looting scrapyards, raiding fuel depots - life on the road wasn't easy. But growing up in a Nomad clan has it's perks. Honesty, integrity and a love of freedom - qualities only a few in Night City possess, and no amount of money can buy.

Corporate
- Few leave the corporate world with their lives - fewer still with their souls intact. You've been there - you've bent the rules, exploited secrets and weaponized information. There's no such thing as a fair game, only winners and losers.

These varied worldviews and backgrounds are likely to impact V thoughout the story IMO ... which means portions of her personality are optionally set. Also her age (meaning level of experience) is set at 22 1/2 so far as we know from the start which is important for characterization.

The most analogous popular player characters I can think of is those in the modern bioware RPGs (Commander Shepard, Hawk, the Inquisitor and etc). They're semi-fixed based after a few starting choices made by the player. They are not wide open blank slates once the game starts, but have a perspective and motivation that is portrayed in the game.

Last edited:
V has 20 Voice Actors, must be pretty expensive... i would also love to have a silent Protagonist with more added Dialogue Choices.

Male and female for every audio localisation.
Ah okay, so not voice options. I was wondering why nothing came back on a search.

As to the blank slate commentary, I'm curious how blank the slate really is. I don't see the voice working if that was their intention.

I don't think this is true. V clearly has some set motivations that vary based on lifepath.

Street Kid - They say if you wanna understand the streets, you've gotta live 'em. Gangs, fixers, dolls, small time pushers - this V was raised by them all. Down here law of the jungle dictates the weak serve the strong - the only law in Night City V has yet to break.

Nomad
- Roaming the badlands, looting scrapyards, raiding fuel depots - life on the road wasn't easy. But growing up in a Nomad clan has it's perks. Honesty, integrity and a love of freedom - qualities only a few in Night City possess, and no amount of money can buy.

Corporate
- Few leave the corporate world with their lives - fewer still with their souls intact. You've been there - you've bent the rules, exploited secrets and weaponized information. There's no such thing as a fair game, only winners and losers.

I really hope you're wrong, this would be the hell of a limit for Roleplay if you could not play a greedy and selfish Street Kid, a machavellien and manipulative Nomad, or a fair Corporate.

We already know we are forbidden to think "out of the box" we it comes to what the character knows or not, at least we need to be able to choose how he behave.

Or just make it an adventure game, and set everything to "auto", then at least voices will be super logical.

Last edited:
Story first, man. Story first. ;)
angry-computer-guy-memes-52438678.png

Nomad

Corporate

These varied worldviews and backgrounds are likely to impact V thoughout the story IMO ... which means portions of her personality are optionally set. Also her age (meaning level of experience) is set at 22 1/2 so far as we know from the start which is important for characterization.

The most analogous popular player characters I can think of is those in the modern bioware RPGs (Commander Shepard, Hawk, the Inquisitor and etc). They're semi-fixed based after a few starting choices made by the player. They are not wide open blank slates once the game starts, but have a perspective and motivation that is portrayed in the game.

Nomad

Corporate

Yeah i agree it’s basically like mass effect but also shepard is a blank slate to a certain degree.There are always some little limitations which is fine if you give the player enough freedom.The devs always say in witcher it was geralts story and in this one it’s your story so i think there will be much more freedom to express ourselves than in the witcher. Witcher is one of my favorite rpgs of all time but you had a lot of limitations because of the set character but this is not the case in cp so i hope we can fool around like our hearts content both in dialogue and free roam.

Last edited:
I think we're right back at the reality of the vision CDPR had for the game. It is quite obviously not a 100%, open-ended, sandbox experience that molds itself to anything and everything a player can imagine. It is a narrative RPG-Adventure crafted around a very cinematic approach.

That might not be what everyone wanted according to their own, personal, ideal vision for the game, but that's the sort of thing that CDPR is very good at creating. Makes only sense to me that the studio would play to its strengths and build on past experience.

Besides, just because the player character's dialogue is limited to a scripted, VO performance, that doesn't automatically mean that the game will be linear or limiting. I'll bring up Detroit, once again. It's basically an interactive film...and look at the insane number of branches each of the characters can take...the extraordinarily different endings...

Voiced protagonist =/= restricted gameplay.

(^ I did math again.)

Voiced protagonist =/= restricted gameplay.

Well, yeah... I don’t think the VO has much of anything to do about raw gameplay; or, it does it indirectly at most.

What it does affect is the potential amount of character types and expressive dialog, and the level of connection and ownership of the character.

Top Bottom