E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some choice quotes:

adapting a pen-and-paper RPG into an open world game with real-time combat was more taxing, as the game’s producer, Richard Borzymowski explains: “The thing is, every pen-and-paper RPG is essentially turn-based. It’s dice throwing, right? That doesn’t really work when there’s a zillion bullets flying across the screen.”

“We’ve stuck to as much of the original Cyberpunk 2020 as we can, but to keep things enjoyable we’ve had to change some things to make it adapt well into the video game format. From things like character attributes to guns – a lot of it is taken from the core book. We’ve added some new ones, of course, but we’re staying true to what Mike Pondsmith created. It was really important to us to remain faithful to the original, because we know there’s this community of Cyberpunk fans that have been out there since the 1980s. We’re not going to be exploiting the franchise, we’re not going out there saying ‘Hey, this is our game, it’s entirely unconnected to whatever it was before.’ We’re here to enhance Cyberpunk, alongside Mike Pondsmith.”

This is a potentially interesting one for certain people:

“Very often I think, not just in games, but in books and movies too, you see promises being made without actually showing anything behind it – and then you’re building hype essentially based on just your words.
Even if the product is very good, people might feel let down, and be like ‘oh, this isn’t what I thought it was going to be.’”

Then there’s a bunch of stuff about Cyberpunk RED, but I haven’t really followed that one, so I don’t really know what’s relevant to quote.

Some choice quotes:

This is a potentially interesting one for certain people:

Then there’s a bunch of stuff about Cyberpunk RED, but I haven’t really followed that one, so I don’t really know what’s relevant to quote.

Pretty words, but aside from the overall theme and world building (which I'm sure is very faithful to 2020, don't get me wrong), not sure how much they're actually reflected in-game.

(which I'm sure is very faithful to 2020, don't get me wrong)

To what extent that’s possible since there’s a 57-year timegap and - if my memory serves - some kind of alternate timeline thingamajick too.

Otherwise, yeah, not sure about anything but what I’ve seen thus far.

A PS4 sponsored quick look. Was erroneously mentioned that 2077 happens in an alternate timeline.

Irritating to say the least:
-We’ve stuck to as much of the original Cyberpunk 2020 as we can. (That means: fluff only, and only part of it)
-It was really important to us to remain faithful to the original.
-“Very often I think, not just in games, but in books and movies too, you see promises being made without actually showing anything behind it – and then you’re building hype essentially based on just your words.
Even if the product is very good, people might feel let down, and be like ‘oh, this isn’t what I thought it was going to be.’” (All so true...)
- But you can also play as a guy who claims he doesn’t even use cyberware, and is just this… vanilla human. (Sooooo Fake!)
-Although, with the wide array of cyberware available in the game to customise your character with, it’s hard for us to understand why players would want to turn it down in the first place. (Because normally getting cyber is supposed to have big negative consequences too?)
-You create your own character and you choose how you want them to play. I call it ‘open gameplay’, customising a character for the exact style of play that you want. (Well, at least know that's a confirmation of what "don’t have an established character" really means)

Besides, that part is still as vague as can be:
"This sense of freedom and player choice in character creation has created headlines in the run up to the game’s launch, as it was revealed that players will not select to play as a man or a woman, but start with a choice between two body types, one traditionally masculine and one traditionally feminine. A seemingly small point to some, but one that potentially allows for players to create gender nonconforming characters, a sensible choice for a game centered around body modification and player choice. "

Did he confirmed Mr Studd on Female body and Midnight lady on Male body or do that last part have no sense at all?

Of course, talk like this does nothing to temper the astronomical hype surrounding this title, which brings us back to the pressure CD Projekt Red are under right now. While undoubtedly a talented team, they have suddenly found themselves about to publish what is bound to be one of the biggest releases of 2020. As the April release creeps ever-closer, the pressure from their ravenous fanbase is building.
Looks like Mr. Wallace had a bit of fun while writing the article. :D

Really liked this ending quote from Borzymowski as well:
“Worrying is not the word,” he says. “We know that people are waiting for this game, and the only thing we can do – the very same thing we did on The Witcher – is to pour our heart and soul into it.”

Did he confirmed Mr Studd on Female body and Midnight lady on Male body or do that last part have no sense at all?

What we know :

You have the choice between two bodies. Next you customize it and you choose pronoum

Like "having a body with breast and using He"

What we know :

You have the choice between two bodies. Next you customize it and you choose pronoum

I'm even more confused now.

They once said you could mix and match body parts, is that no longer the case? Or was it ever the case and they misspoke?

They once said you could mix and match body parts, is that no longer the case? Or was it ever the case and they misspoke?

I think it was that you can make a man or woman body and simply choose which voice set you use (man/woman), and that voice set defines ”who” you are.

Don’t remember exactly, but I think I would remember if they said (or implied) you can play ”reanimator” or Dr. Frankenstein and make a tight chick body with mismatching and mix-gendered limbs and attach a bearded man-head to it. I would certainly take advantage of that option. :D

I can hardly wait for the memes to start popping out. Just imagine the ”sensitive” mocapped sex scenes where that sort of of swamp monster gently caresses its...catch. All credibility gone, but good laughs given.

Last edited:
you can use a male voice with female character or vice versa, i think they didn't go beyond that and assured that you can't change your ahh.. genitals
i bet its one of those shitty clickbait pcgamer or polygon articles thats misleading people

you can use a male voice with female character or vice versa, i think they didn't go beyond that and assured that you can't change your ahh.. genitals
i bet its one of those shitty clickbait pcgamer or polygon articles thats misleading people
So far as I know, Snow is correct about prior statements, and I dont think it's changed. Here's the most thorough quote we have on it:

Gamasutra:We haven't seen the full character selection screen. The team said it wasn't finished yet. There are still many changes you all are making to the game. Has the team at all considered, given their use of [trans] characters like that in the game to depict cyberpunk, has the team thought about giving players that kind of choice over their character, to give themselves similar representation?

And if they're not, has the team considered the gap between portraying characters like that, and limiting what you can have your players represent themselves as?

Tomaskiewicz: Of course. It's a very sensitive and important subject I believe. We have put a lot of thought into this. One of the things we want to do in the final game (which we couldn't show in the demo yet, because as you mentioned it's a work in progress) is to give the players as many options of customization in the beginning of the game as we can.

For example, we want to do this thing where, as you create your character, after you choose the body type, you can, for example, use physical traits as you build your face that could be assigned to a man or a woman.

Gamasutra: Or nonbinary?

Tomaskiewicz: Or nonbinary. The idea is to mix all of those up, to give them to the players, as they would like to build it. Same goes for the voice. We wanted to separate this out, so the players can choose it freely. This is something we are still working on, it's not as easy as it sounds.

This is one part of it. In terms of how we depict the characters within the setting itself, of course, yes, we are paying a lot of attention to it, we do not want anyone to feel like we are neglecting this, or treating it wrongly.

From E3 interview this year - https://gamasutra.com/view/news/344..._working_on_transgender_character_options.php

I wouldn't worry. Choose a body type, then mix and match as much as you please from that starting point. Voice picks how NPCs refer to you. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
So far as I know, Snow is correct about prior statements, and I dont think it's changed. Here's the most thorough quote we have on it:

From E3 interview this year - https://gamasutra.com/view/news/344..._working_on_transgender_character_options.php

I wouldn't worry. Choose a body type, then mix and match as much as you please from that starting point. Voice picks how NPCs refer to you. Makes sense to me.
Thanks, once again I knew I wasn't crazy.

Well, I am crazy, but not on this subject.

Dunno why but the Grimes – 4ÆM Performance video, looks like one of the endings where we helping Voodoo Boys spread AI Anarchy beyond the Blackwall by uploadin Lizzy Wizzy in to the Net and everyone just

aL9GgbG4_700wa_0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom