How CP2077 should handle ammo?

+

How CP2077 should handle ammo?

• Unlimited ammo - like Overwatch

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Single ammo for all weapons - like Mass Effect thermal clips

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Different cartridges (e.g. 5.56×45mm NATO) - Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook?

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Different cartridges (e.g. 5.56×45mm NATO) + different variants (e.g. armor piercing) - like Deus Ex

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Simplified - e.g. assault rifle ammo, smartgun ammo

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters
They have already shown us the following...

9mm
.45acp
.50 action express

9.2mm
6.56mm x 52
50 x 10mm

9mm.jpg

.50ae.jpg

9.2mm.jpg

6.56mm.jpg

50x10.jpg

Labels on weapons are all well and good.
Also meaningless.
Those are graphics, no more significant then an overflowing ash tray or a stop sign.

Labels on weapons are all well and good.
Also meaningless.
Those are graphics, no more significant then an overflowing ash tray or a stop sign.
I think the fact that they made the effort to invent calibers that do not exist today but also keep and use calibers from our era indicates that each weapon model might have it's own backstory, just like in CP2020 books.
So, I think that they used the 2020 caliber system as an inspiration but they toned it down a little bit (too many calibers in CP2020)

Of course I might be wrong and we might use "rifle" ammo in the game.

First thing I thought of when reading the title was realistic reloading ie reload with 1-2 in the clip? well that stays in the clip, no magic reloading...thoughts?

I would obviously like as much realism as possible, but for a more reasonable request, I'd like each weapon to have its own appropriate ammo; or rather, ammo for different categories of weapons, whether it's grouped by caliber or weapon type (Sniper pistol etc.).

Also, I'd like to not have a ridiculous amount of ultra-cheap ammo at all times. I find games where I'm not forced to at least resort to improvisation a few times because I've run out of ammo way too easy.

Note, I'm not saying it needs to happen constantly, on the level of Metro Exodus. But why even have ammo if you'll never run out of it anyway?

Last edited:
First thing I thought of when reading the title was realistic reloading ie reload with 1-2 in the clip? well that stays in the clip, no magic reloading...thoughts?

The only game without magic magazine refill when reloading that I can remember was Stalker. It can get quite obnoxious when you litter your inventory with half-empty magazines so no wonder games don't do this.

It depends on how they make this. I wouldnt mind if there was some Matrix Style shells fly everywhere kind of stuff. Never done in game industry as far i know. No idea how they could implement it, maybe with slow motion.

Last edited:
The skill tree screen reveals that there are no smg, assault rifle, lmg or heavy machine gun categories, they are all included under the label "rifles".
We can also see in the deep dive video that when V uses the saratoga smg she gets xp points in "rifles" and when she uses the heavy gun ripped out of the turret she also gets xp points in "rifles"

I don't think it's possible that the game will have these two very different weapons sharing the same ammo and simply call it "rifle" ammo.

The skill tree screen reveals that there are no smg, assault rifle, lmg or heavy machine gun categories, they are all included under the label "rifles".
We can also see in the deep dive video that when V uses the saratoga smg she gets xp points in "rifles" and when she uses the heavy gun ripped out of the turret she also gets xp points in "rifles"

I don't think it's possible that the game will have these two very different weapons sharing the same ammo and simply call it "rifle" ammo.

I think it's a better way of unifying a system that encourages polished, fluent gameplay. It avoids one of the critical failings with Bethesda's model, in my opinion: skills that are irrelevant to the gameplay progress. While it's totally awesomeness-i-tivity to be able to specialize in longsword, shortsword, greatsword, katana, scimitar, dagger, knife, kukri...and totally specialize my character...it's also very often trifling. Ala, I pick a really exotic weapon skill, then the game fails to provide me with my chosen weapon until I'm 1/3rd of the way through it. :rolleyes: Yes, I'll admit that using a sub-machine gun is nothing like using a bolt-action rifle with a scope. True. But is there really a need to differentiate to that level of detail? Will it offer something more to the energy and gameplay, or does it more risk creating hurdles that interrupt the flow and fun of the experience? Does it help to specialize the character, or does it prevent players from building their character the way they want?

It also alleviates the dog-pile of scripts, flags, and checks that need to be run every time the player fires a round. When the game needs to handle this on a weapon-by-weapon basis, that can add a lot of calculations that demand more CPU / GPU / physics processing...and the result is still going to be either "hit" or "miss". The fewer categories that need to be loaded and running for this...the more room there is to use that processing for other things. Like making individual weapons feel very different, or creating more impactful and noticeable effects between weapon types, special ammo, cyberware, etc.

I think it's a better way of unifying a system that encourages polished, fluent gameplay. It avoids one of the critical failings with Bethesda's model, in my opinion: skills that are irrelevant to the gameplay progress. While it's totally awesomeness-i-tivity to be able to specialize in longsword, shortsword, greatsword, katana, scimitar, dagger, knife, kukri...and totally specialize my character...it's also very often trifling. Ala, I pick a really exotic weapon skill, then the game fails to provide me with my chosen weapon until I'm 1/3rd of the way through it. :rolleyes: Yes, I'll admit that using a sub-machine gun is nothing like using a bolt-action rifle with a scope. True. But is there really a need to differentiate to that level of detail? Will it offer something more to the energy and gameplay, or does it more risk creating hurdles that interrupt the flow and fun of the experience? Does it help to specialize the character, or does it prevent players from building their character the way they want?

It also alleviates the dog-pile of scripts, flags, and checks that need to be run every time the player fires a round. When the game needs to handle this on a weapon-by-weapon basis, that can add a lot of calculations that demand more CPU / GPU / physics processing...and the result is still going to be either "hit" or "miss". The fewer categories that need to be loaded and running for this...the more room there is to use that processing for other things. Like making individual weapons feel very different, or creating more impactful and noticeable effects between weapon types, special ammo, cyberware, etc.

For the record, I never said that the lack of rifle subcategories in the character skill development is a bad thing.

I just used it to point out that a light submachine gun won't be using the same bullets as a heavy weapon in game and therefore I don't think we will be presented with a generic "rifle ammo" that fits all these different weapons.

For the record, I never said that the lack of rifle subcategories in the character skill development is a bad thing.

I just used it to point out that a light submachine gun won't be using the same bullets as a heavy weapon in game and therefore I don't think we will be presented with a generic "rifle ammo" that fits all these different weapons.

Wasn't challenging anything; just discussing.

Myself, I just got very tired of games that introduced a huge wealth of options, skills, abilities, perks, etc...but then never really did anything with them in terms of "winning the game" with them. Certain skills would be more or less mandatory, while others would vanish into an obscure fog of activities that, while interesting perhaps, don't really...do...anything. Can't even begin to list how many titles had me totally engrossed in the character creation phase, but when you actually try to use your intricately crafted characters, the game offers no progression for certain combinations of options.

Actually, when dealing with RPGs, I find the intricate wealth of skills / mechanics works best in true sandboxes (M&B, Starsector, Minecraft, SCUM, etc.) For story-based RPGs, if the skill doesn't give the player a pathway to the endgame, then I'd cut it.

Personally I lump handguns and SMGs together.
As pointed out yes a revolver is different from a semi-automatic from a fully-automatic SMG but so is a bolt-action rifle from a semi-auto rifle from an assault-rifle (literal assault rifle not "scary" looking weapons liberals classify as assault rifles) yet in 99.99% of games a rifle is a rifle.

The only game without magic magazine refill when reloading that I can remember was Stalker. It can get quite obnoxious when you litter your inventory with half-empty magazines so no wonder games don't do this.

Yeah, that would be pretty annoying. Especially as I am the kind of player who reloads at every opportunity, I really don't want to get past all the underlings and find myself with no full mags left when I actually need them.

I hope they stay as true as possible to the core rules book on all aspects of the game. I want a proper role playing game of the dark future.

I hope they stay as true as possible to the core rules book on all aspects of the game. I want a proper role playing game of the dark future.

As with all adaptations to a different medium, as much as they want to remain faithful, there will always be elements that will be inevitably lost in translation and for the most part, it's for the best. There is value in keeping the pen and paper version uniquely different to the video game version, as they should be complimenting each other and shining in their own unique ways, rather than competing.

As with all adaptations to a different medium, as much as they want to remain faithful, there will always be elements that will be inevitably lost in translation and for the most part, it's for the best.

How is less content for the best?
I'm not talking about content modified by the change of medium, I'm talking about things that aren't there anymore.

Top Bottom