Nilfgaardian Deck Strategies

+
Leo and Geralt can sometimes brick since they won't find a target of 8 or more power while Professional is always at least 6 points. Every point counts! I like running Nilfgaardian Knights to boost enemy units so that its easier for those cards to get value.

Geralt Igni and Professional requires setup, while Rivia and Leo does not. Yennefer is an alternative, to place the unit on top of the deck of the owner, in case needed. And it seems like a pretty good alternative if you combine it with Cantarella.

I bring Leo or Geralt as a technical card to take out any unit above 8 with no setup or complications. Strangely Leo is better since he can also take out any witcher in addition/instead, and thus bricks less often.

I've seen alot of people bring professional, and I understand why they do that. But without a control type deck with alot of different damage, or even some boost, it seems less valuable to me than Rivia and Leo who are just plain and simple.

I built a status deck that uses a lot of poison and locks. It's super fun to play although since it's just a list I put together based on what looked like it might work it's nowhere near optimized. :D

Named it "Status TBD". :cool:

Im really sick of NG's new poison and status decks.

I made a deck that i thought would counter it nicely - a MO rat swarm, where it doesnt matter if you kill my biggest units, but it's still trash against NG because they always either lock, seize or Yen's Invocation my double Plague Maidens...

And of course, the amazing matchmaking now always puts me against NG and NR, the only two factions i dont want to see with this deck...

Im really sick of NG's new poison and status decks.

I made a deck that i thought would counter it nicely - a MO rat swarm, where it doesnt matter if you kill my biggest units, but it's still trash against NG because they always either lock, seize or Yen's Invocation my double Plague Maidens...

And of course, the amazing matchmaking now always puts me against NG and NR, the only two factions i dont want to see with this deck...

Elves are a decent bet against this NG rubbish, I've won quite a few (but my lack of real removal means I lose to - and frequently get matched against - that stupid SK crow deck).

Everything's quite low level as it's more of an onslaught and you've got a few options for purifying without bricking, plus you can include a good number of movement or lock options for the inevitable cow.

NR is also quite strong against it if you go with a more balanced deck instead of the NETDECK Sylla/Roche/Sword. Black Rayla for example can ping cows - something my opponent didn't actually realise on THREE occasions (NETDECK ALERT NETDECK ALERT).
Post automatically merged:

I built a status deck that uses a lot of poison and locks. It's super fun to play although since it's just a list I put together based on what looked like it might work it's nowhere near optimized. :D

Eurgh. Can I blacklist you?!

So, im really tired of the usual oppressive NG decks, its not these decks that made me like the faction in the first place.
To create something different, i built a NG deck around one of my favourite cards:

Caravan Vanguard!
It's a 6 provision bronze, that gives either 6pts, or 9pts (if there's already a copy of it on our side)
9 pts for a bronze is really awesome, and although most factions can only play a bronze neutral 2 times (3 w Necromancy), NR and NG can do more with it. I already did a NR deck around it and was even better, but NG's version is also decent:

Basically its the same strategy as mill, with operator to create a copy on opponents side (but here its a caravan instead of a viper witcher), then copy it with duchess informants, revive it on experimental remedy, use Artorius Viggo for an extra copy... That way you can play caravan vanguard 7/8 times on each match, its simple and fun for players who like swarm strategies like me. :cool:

So, im really tired of the usual oppressive NG decks, its not these decks that made me like the faction in the first place.
To create something different, i built a NG deck around one of my favourite cards:

Really? What stuck me to Nilfgaard was locks, or more specifically Usurper/Lockdown. This ability was great as an "anti-meta" deck, and Nilfgaard in general was. I personally think lockdown is no longer viable, only poison based, which is quite sad. I really liked lockdown, and I don't really like new poison.

Anyways, I'm onto my third faction more now, Skellige. But if I really want to win I use an "anti-meta" poison deck either with lockdown or imperial formation. I can't stand it to be honest, I think poison is a very low deck. But I guess the other viable option is the kind of broken meta damien, skellen etc etc, which I despise even more.

I don't think the problem is Nilfgaard, the "other" units are quite fine, but they stand no chance against the huge powercreep, so people seem to rely on broken meta decks when they play Nilfgaard, which in turn give the faction a bad name.

Sadly, my witcher deck seems no longer to be viable. It was a gimmick deck, but it was quite good and quite viable before, but after Iron it seems not. Saddens me as it was one of my favourite decks!

Really? What stuck me to Nilfgaard was locks, or more specifically Usurper/Lockdown. This ability was great as an "anti-meta" deck, and Nilfgaard in general was. I personally think lockdown is no longer viable, only poison based, which is quite sad. I really liked lockdown, and I don't really like new poison.

Anyways, I'm onto my third faction more now, Skellige. But if I really want to win I use an "anti-meta" poison deck either with lockdown or imperial formation. I can't stand it to be honest, I think poison is a very low deck. But I guess the other viable option is the kind of broken meta damien, skellen etc etc, which I despise even more.

I don't think the problem is Nilfgaard, the "other" units are quite fine, but they stand no chance against the huge powercreep, so people seem to rely on broken meta decks when they play Nilfgaard, which in turn give the faction a bad name.

Sadly, my witcher deck seems no longer to be viable. It was a gimmick deck, but it was quite good and quite viable before, but after Iron it seems not. Saddens me as it was one of my favourite decks!

Im actually also a fan of locks decks, however i do not associate Usurper with those, like most people do.
I think it was a side effect of the change from leaders into leader abilities, Usurper became 'lockdown' because he "locks" the opponents leader ability, not because he's necessarily better for lock decks.

I think i used Emhyr and Calveit's abilities ("something withdrawal", "something decision", respectively) with lock decks more often than with Usurper.

Lockdown is an important ability to counter dominant metas that rely too much on leader. It has happened last summer vs foltest and Dijkstra meta, and more recently i personally used it when scenarios were everywhere and people were using it with leader to advance immediately to Ch1, but with Lockdown they couldnt do that, i stole their scenario, they forfeited... a very quick leader mastery that was...

I knew moderators were biased for "Nilfgaard"...

Here's this strategy for you Nilfgaard players....I can't seem to win any games against NG...so any tips would help...I'm struggling at Rank 6...they use same strat over and over and over I'm getting sick of it!

1. When your opponents have used their useless purify/locks and counters to you. Use Masuerade Ball...
Oh whats that? they destroyed the artifact? Fools...never despair!
We have Assire Var Anahid and Mattta Hu'uri to bring double Artifacts!!!

This was something people said was overpowered in Northern Realms...but it's ALL GOOD HERE in Nilfgaard!

2. Oh damn are you tired of poison? No matter! Nilfgaard's Van Moorlehem Hunters can lock or bleed too!
...you know what that means.... ANY STATUS EFFECTS works for the Thirsty Dame!! We have two of them!
also spies that play your Gold Cards...ad nauseum works too...not only does the Dame get a boost! You get to play Gold Cards all in one turn!

...but that's not all folks.. did you know Cow Carcasses counts as giving your opponents status effects?

...that's right...TRIPLE STATUS EFFECTS... boy it's good to be Nilfgaard!

3. "Hold on Nilfgaard sir! I see an amazing Defender/Unit on the otherside" You know means...YENNEFFERRR!

4. Oh and don't worry just use any of your Leader Abilities whenever you feel like it. We have Damien so its all good ;) Also our defender has more hp than other Defenders and has more armor if play with battle preparation. Oops...did they purify it? Who cares...we have assimilate anyway and they wasted Provision Points trying to counter one aspect of us. We have Letho too

5. In summary... Poison, Yennefer, Van Moorlehem, Letho, Defender, Skellen, Damien, Bribery, Locks, Insta-killing units like Vilgefortz. We have it all!

God help us

Last edited:

Actually, having been here on the forum for awhile and soaking in some of the things people say, my impression is that the favourite faction of moderators has always been Scoia'Tael. I mean, favourite as in heart faction.

5. In summary... Poison, Yennefer, Van Moorlehem, Letho, Defender, Skellen, Damien, Bribery, Locks, Insta-killing units like Vilgefortz. We have it all!

My heart faction was always Northern Realms, but they were always quite bad, so I played Nilfgaard instead, and it in a way became my favourite faction. And... I don't play any of those mentioned units in my normal decks. Or, well. I play Damien in some, but as intended, only once. I play Kingslayer in my Witcher deck. I play Vilgefortz in my milling deck. But those are all gimmick decks, not my real decks.

In my real decks, the only card of those that I play(ed) is Yennefer, it was quite a good card, but I've now dropped it in favour of Heatwave. Locks are good, nothing wrong with that, it has been a Nilfgaard type for quite long and it had way fewer counters before.

The only guilt I have among what you mention is that I run a Toxic Meta deck, meaning anti-meta poison deck with Nilfgaard. Yeah, it's very bad, I know, I despise it myself, it's ugly. But, so is some of the meta I play against, for various factions. It's just a "poison everything" deck. It's just anti-meta. I guess it replaced my anti-meta Usurper locks deck.

Defender is quite disgusting, but has nothing to do with Nilfgaard if you didn't know..

Last edited:
Don't try to turn this into another "nerf Nilfgaard" thread.
My apologies...to be honest...all Nilfgaard players have been really friendly to a ranter like me :(
I think they know how oppressive the build of double artifacts can be... plus Bribery.
I've managed to finally figure out a strategy against them but it's...not "fun"...
...for some reason playing against NG puts me into anxiety.

"Is this going to get banished?"
"Is this going to get seized?"
"Does he have a defender for Skellen or Damien?"
"Will Bribery for once in our lifetime pull something other than our Gold Cards?"
"Should I use my locks to stop assimilate or another potential threat?"

I played Witcher 3 this year and that's certainly how I felt Emperor Emyhr tactical warfare would be like on the battlefield.

Actually, having been here on the forum for awhile and soaking in some of the things people say, my impression is that the favourite faction of moderators has always been Scoia'Tael. I mean, favourite as in heart faction.

My heart faction was always Northern Realms, but they were always quite bad, so I played Nilfgaard instead, and it in a way became my favourite faction. And... I don't play any of those mentioned units in my normal decks. Or, well. I play Damien in some, but as intended, only once. I play Kingslayer in my Witcher deck. I play Vilgefortz in my milling deck. But those are all gimmick decks, not my real decks.

In my real decks, the only card of those that I play(ed) is Yennefer, it was quite a good card, but I've now dropped it in favour of Heatwave. Locks are good, nothing wrong with that, it has been a Nilfgaard type for quite long and it had way fewer counters before.

The only guilt I have among what you mention is that I run a Toxic Meta deck, meaning anti-meta poison deck with Nilfgaard. Yeah, it's very bad, I know, I despise it myself, it's ugly. But, so is some of the meta I play against, for various factions. It's just a "poison everything" deck. It's just anti-meta. I guess it replaced my anti-meta Usurper locks deck.

Defender is quite disgusting, but has nothing to do with Nilfgaard if you didn't know..
Can't beat them then join them huh? :D
Northern Realms is still my main...though I'm not actually sure how the rank system goes...if I use NG or Monsters (Which I really like)... will I have to start from Rank 30 again?

Last edited:
Most of what I play for NG is assimilate. Tried to make a pure spies deck work, but quickly found that there has to be some sort of hybrid method to make spies really work (soldier, status, assimilate, etc.)

I'm trying hard to make pro rank competetive solider list. Idea behind this was try to find working midrange deck. I have problem with lack of points. We don't have enough engines to compete with others. Cahir isn't enough for counter gready strategy, 5 power is too low and even move is enough to counter his ability same with Philippe Van Moolehem.

I tried solider/spy devotion list, list with witcher trio, ciri nova list, Vrygheff/Vreemde list. As a leader i tried lockdown, imperal formation and tactical decision. Is there anyone with working NG list?

I would like have viable non single ball strategy in Nilfgaard. Maybe in next patch or expansion...

I'm trying hard to make pro rank competetive solider list. Idea behind this was try to find working midrange deck. I have problem with lack of points. We don't have enough engines to compete with others. Cahir isn't enough for counter gready strategy, 5 power is too low and even move is enough to counter his ability same with Philippe Van Moolehem.

I tried solider/spy devotion list, list with witcher trio, ciri nova list, Vrygheff/Vreemde list. As a leader i tried lockdown, imperal formation and tactical decision. Is there anyone with working NG list?

I would like have viable non single ball strategy in Nilfgaard. Maybe in next patch or expansion...
7-points knights are decent(both varieties). They boost an enemy unit, sure, but in the end it's usually the same unit, so this drawback can be negated in a single hard removal or even just the reset guy for 6 prov. If you're a true memelord, get yourself Petri's + Regis the Booststealer. Point is, being able to put out sevens all day like this is good.

Also don't underestimate Tibor. Running him is a gamble, sure, but more often than not you end up either bricking something of importance out of your opponent's deck, or at least make it go off way sooner than was supposed to be - especially relevant against a certain SC t1 deck...
Then there's Tibor+Alchemists+ointment cheese. Throw in a Bekker's Mirror as a greedier ointment-deluxe (also occasionally works as a tall removal for just 8 provisions, a fine card for this meta).

It's a meme more than anything else, but can catch your opponent by surprise...or at least make them waste a removal on a suboptimal target.

Soldiers are still kinda meh. Play Assimilation, it's crazy good once you start feeling the deck and learn matchups(the latter is even more important than usual).
Just don't bother with Imperial Diplomacy, no matter how persistently it appears on netdecks. SC bronzes are trash, and SY/MO choices sometimes become an active liability.

You already have the right strategy. Take time until the next expansion

Hey I have a question. I run a meme deck where I just spam a bunch of Infiltrators R1 in order to brick my opponents deck later on, but it never actually works. Even when I've managed to copy 7 of these with Operator+Informant+Coup+Remedy R1 and they all shuffle into my opponents deck my opponent still manages to not draw any of them later on. The Infiltrators end up bricking me more often than my opponent funnily enough.
What is up with this? How are their mulligans so safe?
I even do Cynthia so they're forced to mulligan the Guardian putting them at risk of drawing Infiltrator still they draw all their golds.

Hey I have a question. I run a meme deck where I just spam a bunch of Infiltrators R1 in order to brick my opponents deck later on, but it never actually works. Even when I've managed to copy 7 of these with Operator+Informant+Coup+Remedy R1 and they all shuffle into my opponents deck my opponent still manages to not draw any of them later on. The Infiltrators end up bricking me more often than my opponent funnily enough.
What is up with this? How are their mulligans so safe?
I even do Cynthia so they're forced to mulligan the Guardian putting them at risk of drawing Infiltrator still they draw all their golds.
Melee: On round end, SHUFFLE this unit into your opponent's deck.

I believe it used to be place on top of your opponent's deck at one point though. Aside from that, bad RNG karma?

Top Bottom