Will intelligence affect dialogue?

+
If I have a low intelligence character will it affect how my character interacts with others? Could it affect speech checks? Or does it only affect net running abilities?

Doubtful. CDPR is going for a pre-defined character here (with more leeway than Geralt, of course), and they've already recorded the voice lines for V. They'd have to re-record many or all of them to make a "stupid" playthrough viable.

Now, with that said, I'm sure some dialogue options are locked behind high intelligence, or intelligence-related skills like hacking, so low intelligence will necessarily mean that you won't have access to those. But that's about it, I'd guess.

Doubtful. CDPR is going for a pre-defined character here (with more leeway than Geralt, of course), and they've already recorded the voice lines for V. They'd have to re-record many or all of them to make a "stupid" playthrough viable.

Now, with that said, I'm sure some dialogue options are locked behind high intelligence, or intelligence-related skills like hacking, so low intelligence will necessarily mean that you won't have access to those. But that's about it, I'd guess.
I don't think it'd need to be done on that level. The Fallout series comes to mind in that much of the game plays relatively the same, save for a few different lines throughout the game. It'd only need a little nudge, or at the very least some dialogue having checks based on something like "intelligence" or "cool".

I don't think it'd need to be done on that level. The Fallout series comes to mind in that much of the game plays relatively the same, save for a few different lines throughout the game. It'd only need a little nudge, or at the very least some dialogue having checks based on something like "intelligence" or "cool".
I suppose so. Could you give some examples, if you can think of any?

My initial thought is, if you only do it at some points, with a voiced protagonist it might seem really inconsistent.

They said in an interview with Gamespot live this summer that a higher engineering skill might give V more access to dialogue options which allow her to talk shop with a techie. So since INT gates hacking skill, I would guess it effects some computer related dialogue options.

I suppose so. Could you give some examples, if you can think of any?

My initial thought is, if you only do it at some points, with a voiced protagonist it might seem really inconsistent.
Fallout 2
New Vegas
There's little things like this throughout the Fallout series for low intelligence characters. It's not in all of the dialogue, so redoing all of the voice work isn't really necessary.

That being said, I somewhat wasn't considering the voice when I initially posted. It'd be incredibly jarring now that I think about it and it's just another limitation that voiced protagonists put on dialogue/characters. I'm sure it'd be possible to add high or low end dialogue and pass it off as a "blonde moment" or "spark of genius", but again, it'd be jarring against the other voice work now that I think about it.

Like @Snowflakez I expect certain possible lines of dialog to be gated behind INT/Skill Level. So a "low INT" playthru means you don't have access to these dialog options.

the following skills are checked in dialogues (from the demo)
-Engineering
-Hacking
-Athletics or Meele (a form of intimidation)
- Cool/Nerve (but I'm not sure) but
For example, one can use his points in Body to unlock unique implants, having a lot of points in Cool will improve your social relationships, a high rate in Body will make you more intimidating. As a result, the more you practice a skill, the more you will increase your skill level and the more you will be able to invest in this branch in order to take perks improving its use. The level of a skill will also have an impact in your dialogues.
Cyberpunk 2077 Tumblr

the following skills are checked in dialogues (from the demo)
-Engineering
-Hacking
-Athletics or Meele (a form of intimidation)
- Cool/Nerve (but I'm not sure) but
That quote is news to me (the Tumblr one).

Had no idea body would "make you more intimidating" and cool would "improve your relationships."

Had no idea BODY would "make you more intimidating" and cool would "improve your relationships."
Since they're streamlining stats/skills it sorta makes sense to have BODY (overall musculature/fitness/endurance) effect intimidation ... big musculature people just are. Same logic applies to COOL, it's basically charisma.

Since they're streamlining stats/skills it sorta makes sense to have BODY (overall musculature/fitness/endurance) effect intimidation ... big musculature people just are. Same logic applies to COOL, it's basically charisma.
Right, what I meant is, I'm surprised those interactions exist at all. I was under the impression the only dialogue impact would be specific skill checks for hacking engineering etc. and backgrounds.

Just hope they will make it clear which stat is important to which kind of social interaction and not just let us guess with the risk that the stat has no effect, like for example if intimidation will be gated behind body or cool, because at least to me knowing which stat do what during dialogues it more important that which stat do what outside of dialogues.

Right, what I meant is, I'm surprised those interactions exist at all. I was under the impression the only dialogue impact would be specific skill checks for hacking engineering etc. and backgrounds.
It's still pretty up-in-the-air (since we have no detailed information) how often, and how much such interactions will effect your game. Might be central, might be fluff :shrug:

It's still pretty up-in-the-air (since we have no detailed information) how much, and how often such interactions will effect your game.
True. Just have to wait and see. Pretty sure this is one of those things we won't learn about until reviews come out, unfortunately.

Not understanding. Why would you not be able to play the game on day one?

Because without knowing what stat affect what dialogues, I will not be able to choose my character stats, so I won't be able to play.

For exemple if I plan to play an intimidating V, but if I don't know what the game engine consider to be the intimidation stat between Body or Cool then I won't be able to choose my stat between those two.

And same goes for any kind of social interaction. We don't have skills for those, so we need to know which stat does what during social interrogations. For many people it's more important to know that instead of how they will kill their ennemies.

I actually already made a whole suggestion topic about how the game should make how stats are used during social interactions crystal clear.

Last edited:
Because without knowing what stat affect what dialogues, I will not be able to choose my character stats, so I won't be able to play.

For exemple if I plan to play an intimidating V, but if I don't know what the game engine consider to be the intimidation stat between Body or Cool then I won't be able to choose my stat between those two.

And same goes for any kind of social interaction. We don't have skills for those, so we need to know which stat does what during social interrogations. For many people it's more important to know that instead of how they will kill their ennemies.

I actually already made a whole suggestion topic about how the game should make how stats are used during social interactions crystal clear.

You can always turn on the tutorial / hints option in the game (similar to the W3).

Respectfully, you are looking for issues when there are none.

You can always turn on the tutorial / hints option in the game (similar to the W3).

Respectfully, you are looking for issues when there are none.

Minus we don't know it there will specifically be explanation about those uses of stats.
That why I made a topic a while ago so they add social effects of each stats on stat description.

That is a pretty large dose of assumption. When has CDPR ever released a game where dialogue options did not have a clear and decisive impact on the story? If if the skill-based choices are more rare than one may like, that hardly makes the game unplayable. You either have the skill or you don't. Either way, the story moves forward.

Top Bottom