Character Customization!

+
I don't understand. Why can't people who don't want CC just don't use it? And if you don't want a voiced protagonist you can turn your hardware mute. For realism. A lot of mute people are also deaf :)
Maybe CDPR can give those guys an option to mute their character?
And please read about body types and stuff before jumping onto the hate bandwagon.

I completely agree.
Just the option of choosing a body and a voice is ridiculous (n)
Post automatically merged:

Alice Madness Returns
A 2011 game that has better hair physics than a 2020 game?... :v

I believe it's been confirmed that it's more than just picking a body and voice. You can mix and patch parts, from what I understand. @Rawls ?

Yeah you can definitely mix and match parts. Confirmed multiple times. Most explicitly here:

Gamasutra: We haven't seen the full character selection screen. The team said it wasn't finished yet. There are still many changes you all are making to the game. Has the team at all considered, given their use of [trans] characters like that in the game to depict cyberpunk, has the team thought about giving players that kind of choice over their character, to give themselves similar representation?

And if they're not, has the team considered the gap between portraying characters like that, and limiting what you can have your players represent themselves as?

Tomaskiewicz: Of course. It's a very sensitive and important subject I believe. We have put a lot of thought into this. One of the things we want to do in the final game (which we couldn't show in the demo yet, because as you mentioned it's a work in progress) is to give the players as many options of customization in the beginning of the game as we can.

For example, we want to do this thing where, as you create your character, after you choose the body type, you can, for example, use physical traits as you build your face that could be assigned to a man or a woman.

Gamasutra: Or nonbinary?

Tomaskiewicz: Or nonbinary. The idea is to mix all of those up, to give them to the players, as they would like to build it. Same goes for the voice. We wanted to separate this out, so the players can choose it freely. This is something we are still working on, it's not as easy as it sounds.

This is one part of it. In terms of how we depict the characters within the setting itself, of course, yes, we are paying a lot of attention to it, we do not want anyone to feel like we are neglecting this, or treating it wrongly.

Last edited:
Yeah you can definitely mix and match parts. Confirmed multiple times. Most explicitly here:

Problem is that still isn't precise enough so that it cannot be interpreted wrongly.
For example from what has been said you cannot affirm for sure that one can play a woman with a D, or not.

Problem is that still isn't precise enough so that it cannot be interpreted wrongly.
For example from what has been said you cannot affirm for sure that one can play a woman with a D, or not.
I'm pretty sure they said that you cannot play a woman with D and a man with Vg. The whole body type situation is probably just a way to avoid being called a neonazi because there's no transgender option in the game. And, as we know, all games nowadays has it. For example... wait... I have none... ;) Just cill. You choose a male body, your V is male, choose female and V is a girl. They just don't use the technical terms beacuse people got so damn sensitive about unimportant stuff.

I'm pretty sure they said that you cannot play a woman with D and a man with Vg. The whole body type situation is probably just a way to avoid being called a neonazi because there's no transgender option in the game. And, as we know, all games nowadays has it. For example... wait... I have none... ;) Just cill. You choose a male body, your V is male, choose female and V is a girl. They just don't use the technical terms beacuse people got so damn sensitive about unimportant stuff.
If you read what Rawls just quoted, I believe that's precisely what they're going for.

Alice Madness Returns
A 2011 game that has better hair physics than a 2020 game?... :v

Well, that game may have had cool hair physics...for the one character model that was available to players in the game...within the linear, level-based approach of the game...and a physics system that was scripted, not randomized or emergent. That's a significant amount of processing overhead compared to something like TW3 or CP2077.

Add in an engine that allows for multiple hairstyles, colors, textures, interchangeable gear slots, a procedural, open-world design, potentially hundreds of characters on screen...then trying to ensure that the hair physics react believably to the amount of moisture that's supposed to be in the air. That might start to take up just a few too many processing cycles at times.

I'd imagine hair will represent a.) still, b.) breezy, c.) windy, and d.) wet. Long hair might be too difficult to get working right with all the possible customization combos. I'm not saying that it's not possible or that it wouldn't be cool -- it's just a tall order for everything else the game needs to accomplish, is all. I would imagine a few hairstyles might be longer (some clothing options, too), but I think they might be necessarily a bit stiff because of technical limitations.

Dragon's Dogma is a good analog for the challenges of getting "long" hair / clothing / robes / capes working well. Physics skeletons become much more complex the more moving "joints" there are, and the number of possible physics influences that could act upon each joint exponentially increases the calculations needed to model the movement instant to instant. Thus, most games that offer lots of customization have certain parts that are physics modeled, and others that are statically animated. It's one thing to soak up some processor cycles to animate a braid of hair, shirt-tails, or a scarf. It's a totally different beast to animate indivual locks of hair that may need to interact with the wind, the character model, direction of motion, and weapon on the player's back frame-by-frame. That's a lot of processing. (As in, "Bye-bye, framerate!")

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 had hair physics, and there were quite a few different styles available. Most games have some form of hair physics now. It's just standard practice in any AAA game. Even Mount & Blade Bannerlord has it now. Actually, that game has physics for a LOT of stuff, including clothing, fur, weapon tassels and such.

I've somewhat recently seen one game that has absolutely horrible hair physics for long hair. It's downright insane; the characters' hair bounces around as if they're constantly being electrocuted or something. :ROFLMAO:

Definitely not something I'd like to see in Cyberpunk. Rather have no hair physics whatsoever than that. :D

Geralt's hair is also pretty crazy with its flowing regardless of conditions (without HW) but it's not too much.

I've somewhat recently seen one game that has absolutely horrible hair physics for long hair. It's downright insane; the characters' hair bounces around as if they're constantly being electrocuted or something. :ROFLMAO:

Definitely not something I'd like to see in Cyberpunk. Rather have no hair physics whatsoever than that. :D

Geralt's hair is also pretty crazy with its flowing regardless of conditions (without HW) but it's not too much.
Yeah, in this game I don't know if hair physics are really necessary, since it's FPP-exclusive. Might be nice for other NPCs, I guess?

If it were third person I'd disagree. In 2020 I think there's really not much excuse to ignore such basic visual features if you have the funding (and surprising ongoing sales numbers) of CDPR.

Naturally, I don't want them to be insanely over the top, but I don't really think The Witcher 3's was bad at all. Seemed pretty normal to me. I have little reason to assume they'd do a worse job here.

Yeah, in this game I don't know if hair physics are really necessary, since it's FPP-exclusive. Might be nice for other NPCs, I guess?

I had long hair for a while. The thing with long hair physics and FPP is... It tends to obstruct your vision at times, especially during windy circumstances. How about that for innovation/immersion? :p

I had long hair for a while. The thing with long hair physics and FPP is... It tends to obstruct your vision at times, especially during windy circumstances. How about that for innovation/immersion? :p
Yeah, that wouldn't be very pleasant at all.

If it were third person I'd disagree. In 2020 I think there's really not much excuse to ignore such basic visual features if you have the funding (and surprising ongoing sales numbers) of CDPR.

Naturally, I don't want them to be insanely over the top, but I don't really think The Witcher 3's was bad at all. Seemed pretty normal to me. I have little reason to assume they'd do a worse job here.
I tried the hair addon for W3 then immediately took it back out when my frame rate tanked.

Most people have no clue how much CPU and GPU processing is required for something like this.

I tried the hair addon for W3 then immediately took it back out when my frame rate tanked.

Most people have no clue how much CPU and GPU processing is required for something like this.
Hair addon? Not sure what you mean. The Witcher 3 had hair physics by default, even on consoles. Also, if you are referring to Hairworks, there are a lot of other reasons that hurts performance that don't relate to CPU/GPU processing power. Tomb Raider had similar tech that performed way better, because it's open source (TressFX) and developed by AMD instead of Nvidia.

Anyway. Doesn't really matter.

Seemed pretty normal to me.
I have to disagree. Once I noticed it for the first time it's been impossible not to notice it. It's definitely not normal that hair acts as if there's a wind blowing all the time, even indoors. :D

More on topic, I hope there will be a wide range of colour options for hair (and to a lesser extent eyes). Browns and blacks and blondes get boring. Pure white and pure black are my preferred hair colours when there's nothing more "exotic" like blue/green available.

I have to disagree. Once I noticed it for the first time it's been impossible not to notice it. It's definitely not normal that hair acts as if there's a wind blowing all the time, even indoors. :D

More on topic, I hope there will be a wide range of colour options for hair (and to a lesser extent eyes). Browns and blacks and blondes get boring. Pure white and pure black are my preferred hair colours when there's nothing more "exotic" like blue/green available.

I thought you specifically said Witcher 3's implementation was fine, but alright.

The Witcher 3 had hair physics, and there were quite a few different styles available. Most games have some form of hair physics now. It's just standard practice in any AAA game. Even Mount & Blade Bannerlord has it now. Actually, that game has physics for a LOT of stuff, including clothing, fur, weapon tassels and such.

Hair physics doesnt sound very Cyberpunk to me. Greasy hair because lots of people are poor, or those who can afford hair products use them to look cool, spiky hair is the awesome Cyberpunk look, imho. Yeah, use that CPU for somethign cooler like light tatoos or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom