Do Not Be Afraid About CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we know 95% of the game systems already:
-skill tree was shown (not in every details but it's mainly passive bonuses)
-looting was shown (whether we'll see the same weapon in both legendary and common versions we don't know)
-levels and bullet sponges were shown
-stealth and hacking were shown
-dialogues were shown
-techie was not shown but they said it's mainly using bots
-people who watched the behind closed door demo also saw that driving, gunplay and AI are far from excellence. Very far.

except for the last ones, the rest won't change for sure.

If I was a game developer, I would ask myself what does my game do differently or better than other games.

It's 100% guaranteed the game wont be better in shooter aspects than pure shooter games, so thats not something we should count on. That's not to say that CP can't HAVE shooter aspects, just that they shouldn't be the main focus. We should focus on the aspects that are 'special', like the fact that we have dialogue and deeper, more complex interactions with the 'vendors'; or the tech tree abilities.

Crafting is also somewhat 'par for the course' at this point in CRPG development, and in my opinion quite uninteresting. It also brings with it the danger of excessive loot-gathering which annoyed me in Witcher 3. I would honestly like to see some deeper minigames related to tech-tree than bog-standard crafting. Or at the very least let us craft something properly cool, instead of just ammo and stuff.

I'm somewhat worried that so many parts of the skill tree are dedicated to combat, even if the game will be combat-focused. Maybe it means that the more special branches of the tree like tech, are meant to be always present (its easier to invest in one tree than investing in 2-3 trees). But if you are always expected to take certain tree, why is the option even there? Why not simply make it freely available to everyone?

There is still crafting, item customization, implants and body modifications to be presented.
crafting = true, but I think it won't be much different from TW3: loot some trash and make bombs.
item customization = true again, but not fundamental to gameplay mechanics. you can add a scope or change color, but it won't affect gameplay significantly.
implants = well, many were shown (double jump, silent walking was discussed, gorilla arms, mantis blades, cyberdeck, sandevistan, I think regen-cyberware was confirmed) and I don't think we want to see them all before release. A little surprise is good. Also, we know the concept, I think that's enough.

What is really important is how the open-world is played: what happens if V crashes the car? Does s/he fall from the bike after accidents? What happens if I steal a vehicle, can I keep it? Going in a high-level district is completely useless with a low level V (I think they said yes already, but maybe it's not that strict)? How easily can AI be broken? What about the economy?
If I was a game developer, I would ask myself what does my game do differently or better than other games.

It's 100% guaranteed the game wont be better in shooter aspects than pure shooter games, so thats not something we should count on. That's not to say that CP can't HAVE shooter aspects, just that they shouldn't be the main focus. We should focus on the aspects that are 'special', like the fact that we have dialogue and deeper, more complex interactions with the 'vendors'; or the tech tree abilities.

Crafting is also somewhat 'par for the course' at this point in CRPG development, and in my opinion quite uninteresting. It also brings with it the danger of excessive loot-gathering which annoyed me in Witcher 3. I would honestly like to see some deeper minigames related to tech-tree than bog-standard crafting. Or at the very least let us craft something properly cool, instead of just ammo and stuff.

I'm somewhat worried that so many parts of the skill tree are dedicated to combat, even if the game will be combat-focused. Maybe it means that the more special branches of the tree like tech, are meant to be always present (its easier to invest in one tree than investing in 2-3 trees). But if you are always expected to take certain tree, why is the option even there? Why not simply make it freely available to everyone?
100% agree, in particular to hateful loot-gathering and interest for deep mini-games (the more interactions I have in a videogame, the better)

Anyway, we already know that skill tree is 90% combat and 10% hacking and crafting:

1578056423908.png

Not that I like it, in particular the concept of hard-gating perks behind the stat number and how distriuted this stuff is. I didn't like progression system in TW3, I don't like it here neither, but it is how it is and there's nothing we can do about it.
There were a lot of feedbacks after the 2018 demo converging against hard-gating stuff behind levels, bullet sponges, junk-loot and all those (IMHO) flaws traslated directly from TW3, but devs deliberatly decided to ignore them. Which is fine, since it's their game and the vast majority of players (= the mass market) has no problems with them.

I'm 100% sure I'll like the game, most likely the 2020 GOTY, but also 100% sure I will constantly think: "god, if only they change few things with zero development time the game could've been a total masterpiece".

Well, the crafting will be heavily connected to the techie skills, so it cannot be as simple as the W3 one. Item customization will have at least one, quite unique feature - changing appearance of a gear to match the visual style the player prefers, and we don't know how this will be solved. The same with implants and cyberparts - we know that they are in the game, but we don't know how they will be handled.

Stealing a vehicle was briefly mentioned (I think) - there will be reaction if somebody sees you. You can still go almost anywhere, but be prepared o get wasted. Other stuff you mentioned - we still know nothing.

Also, my opinion on "If only the devs would listen!" community ideas - 99% of the time they look good on paper, but are unworkable / broken / bad if implemented.

Doing it in an twitch gameplay minigame way instead of just letting your character do it for you.

So if I understand this correctly, you would like to have a minigame for a gun reload? So every time you would like to reload a gun, you will have to play a mini game? Wow...

Miles Tost even came on these very forums some time ago and said that they plan to make weapons get more accurate over time, and handle better, etc. I can try to find his specific post, but I'm certain you were there when it happened, so perhaps your memory is more reliable than my own.

I remember that and they’ve implied there’s some kind of accuracy thing going on before that too. But my question has always been: ”To what extent?”

And even if it might not seem so on the surface, it is a pretty damn big and important question because it has to do with the ranged combat experience of the game as a whole, plus the feeling of improvement, reward and importance of skill progression throughout the game.

I agree with Rawls here; none of those are, in my opinion, minigames based on what has been shown. And I seriously doubt that's going to change.
Agreed, not minigames, just game mechanics. And as such they can be based on either player or character skills, in all cases CDPR has apparently decided to base them on player skills. This then defines the genre of the game ... action/shooter.

Agreed, not minigames, just game mechanics. And as such they can be based on either player or character skills, in all cases CDPR has apparently decided to base them on player skills. This then defines the genre of the game ... action/shooter.

A regular action adventure, more like. I don’t think shooter part will be much more prevalent than walking around and clicking on dialog options.

Well, the crafting will be heavily connected to the techie skills, so it cannot be as simple as the W3 one.
This is being optimistic, nothing has suggested it so far.

tem customization will have at least one, quite unique feature - changing appearance of a gear to match the visual style the player prefers, and we don't know how this will be solved. The same with implants and cyberparts - we know that they are in the game, but we don't know how they will be handled.
item customization can either be at vendors or directly from V. I don't see any troble in that, or unicity.
Implants, we know how their handled: you install them at ripperdoc's (one for each slot: legs, arms, body, eyes...) and you can modify them by yourself if the mod is easy and you have enough points in technology or again at ripperdoc's. Poison in matis blades and silent running are 2 examples made by devs.

Also, my opinion on "If only the devs would listen!" community ideas - 99% of the time they look good on paper, but are unworkable / broken / bad if implemented.
I tend to agree, that's why I always suggest stuff that is already in other games. Not necessarily recent ones.
I.e. enemies accuracy and reactivity scaling with difficulty level instead of their HP pool (so you avoid bullet sponges) from any call of duty bots, or having on-screen path while driving instead of mini-map, from any driving game (so you don't get distracted watching the map), or using more suitable descriptors instead legendary/epic that don't fit in a cyberpunk setting, from days gone (like military grade), or quick animations to pick stuff up like in dying lights... Stuff that already exist and has proven successful.

I tend to agree, that's why I always suggest stuff that is already in other games.

Stuff that already exist and has proven successful.

And nothing new was ever created...

A lot of forum suggestions are actually pretty bad, and that’s true on about any forum. But how do you (not necessarily you specifically) define the workableness or brokenness or what ever negative assumption of a suggested feature if you think it ”sounds good on paper” but you haven’t seen it in action?

Not that I like it, in particular the concept of hard-gating perks behind the stat number and how distriuted this stuff is.

Considering pen & paper RPGs such as D&D tend to have hard prerequisites for perks I don't see a problem with this in CRPG.

What I find ironic is that attributes gating skills which in turn gate feats in the manner we saw is way more Shadowrun than Cyberpunk 2020/Red.

And nothing new was ever created...

A lot of forum suggestions are actually pretty bad, and that’s true on about any forum. But how do you (not necessarily you specifically) define the workableness or brokenness or what ever negative assumption of a suggested feature if you think it ”sounds good on paper” but you haven’t seen it in action?
Never said that what I do is the best approach or the only viable one. Also, "I tend to agree" doesn't mean "I totally agree". At least not in my language. :ROFLMAO: My opinion is that once a game is in late stages of development, there's not much room for revolutionary ideas unless very simple. So I was not here in 2018 (knowing the game was supposed to be released in less than 2 years) saying "CDPR should scrap all we saw in the demo and make a new game". I saw a very "TW3 approach" and said "at least CDPR should fix TW3's flaws instead of using the same mechanics, here are some examples of games which did that specific thing better and shouldn't require millions of hours to be implemented, and are not very risky since already seen, so totally viable. it doesn't mean all of them would fit in CP77, but please consider them, you can change some things in 2 years".
Was I here in 2013, maybe I'd have come with totally different concepts, probably suggesting a strong "personality customization" and very likely a third person perspective.
Regardless the "workableness or brokenness" of a mechanic, it's devs' job and not mine to judge, test, and make a decision. Once I get the game, I can enjoy it or complain about it hoping their next game will be better.
Post automatically merged:

Considering pen & paper RPGs such as D&D tend to have hard prerequisites for perks I don't see a problem with this in CRPG.

What I find ironic is that attributes gating skills which in turn gate feats in the manner we saw is way more Shadowrun than Cyberpunk 2020/Red.
I don't like that if I have 8 in strenght then my shotgun deals 20% more DMG. Like I pull the trigger with more strenght and bullets fly faster. And that I can't get +30% DMG until I get to 9 in strenght.

Last edited:
I don't like that if I have 8 in strenght then my shotgun deals 20% more DMG. Like I pull the trigger with more strenght and bullets fly faster. And that I can't get +30% DMG until I get to 9 in strenght.

Well there is not that much to do here with weapons. Cannot reduce accuracy via skills too much as this is action game and not XCOM and it will feel bad. Cannot introduce crazy feats for guns since these are part of the weapon itself or something to come from cyberware (e.g. time slowdown). So what is left is just +dmg%, faster reloads and stuff like that.

If we get rid of attributes then its Mass Effect 1 system. But it had classes that restricted what you can do. Not sure if you want Elder Scrolls formula where you can increase any skill you want on a character or just hate RPG systems in general.

That's true to a point. But one has to keep in mind, that V is also... 19, was it? Barely out of his teens anyway, and just an upstart merc in NC, so it's also kinda unreasonable to expect him to be a full on combatant by nature (if the player happens to be a pro at FPS gaming).

Not necessarily.

Keep in mind that most of the soldiers who fight real world wars are also either in their teens, or not long out of it. Wars are primarily fought by 18-22 year old men. There are plenty of 19 year old privates or Lance Corporals in the world who are capable of putting lead into a person's skull at 500 meters.

Granted, they've had lots of training before being sent into combat...but I think the cyberpunk universe is dystopian enough that a 19 year old raised on the streets of a combat zone or in a Nomad clan would plausibly be nearly as proficient with firearms. Weapons are a part of the culture and they likely have plenty of exposure long before reaching adulthood. Corpo V I imagine was more on the security/paramilitary side of things rather than a cubicle dweller, but even if he/she was the latter they could have grown up on the same mean streets as Street Kid V. V starting the game with some proficiency in firearms doesn't strike me as particularly implausible.

You can't think of teenagers in the Cyberpunk universe as being similar to teenagers in modern day real world suburban America or Europe, most of whom have never handled a firearm. In a lot of ways the teenagers of the Cyberpunk universe would have more in common with teenagers who grow up in war torn nations like Afghanistan. Extreme violence is familiar and so are the tools that inflict it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom