The General Videogame Thread

+
Maybe, just maybe it's about time i finally bought a VR headset ... hmm

If you ask me - absolutely worth it!

I've played a couple of VR games and I absolutely love it.

First of all - if you like simulator games, it's a great accessory. I have my headset mostly for Elite Dangerous, I had fun in the game on the screen, but using VR makes it mindblowingly better for me.
Secondly - it's quite fun to move around a bit. I tried audioshield and it's a nice way to sweat a bit.
Thirdly - there are some fun arcade-style games. I tried Space Pirate Trainer and it was really fun, like jumping into the old arcade machine :D
And lastly - it even worked great for adventure/RPG games for me. I played through Fallout 4 with a headset and I had a blast. Really fun way to explore the world.

It's not for everybody though, I admit - you need to spend some time getting used to the movement, your brain might not like it at first. Still, after I endured a handful of sessions that made me want to puke, it got much better. Right now I can jump in, have fun and I won't feel bad at all.

I'm really looking forward to this Half-Life. Looks amazing!

Terraria 1.4 delayed into 2020. I was wondering why there'd been no release date despite it being late November, but now I know.

Can't say I mind since they have a very good reason for the delay. Also because I still have never been anywhere near "finishing" Terraria in its current version -- and there are many other games to play as well. And it instantly gives something to look forward to next year, which is always nice.

Pheonix Point just released, today. Or will, depending on your region.

Same type of game as X-COM (and designed by some of the same people that made the original X-COM games).

Cool, I loved the original X-Com and the Firaxis versions. This looks so much like XCOM1 and 2.
Pity it's only on Epic though, are they on sale on any other platform?

I just saw the info that Phoenix Point will be available "soon" on X-Box PC Game Pass, so this is an option for everyone not happy with Epic exclusivity policy (like me).

Blade Runner is out! Thanks to ScummVM developers reconstructing the engine and GOG getting the permission to re-release it:

You can buy it through ScummVM affiliate link, so developers can get a cut of the purchase:

Ive been playing Need for Speed Heat and started to wonder if its the time for Need for Speed Online 2? Its like 10 year already, right.

it might work this time as we aren't living the MMORPG-boom anymore, sure lots of online people play battle royal and survival online games but anyway.

I remember I played Need for Speed: World through one New Year's Eve. It was fun enough, but I think I was eventually driven off (pun intended) by the amount of content locked behind a paywall. Free-to-play needs to make a profit somehow, sure, but that doesn't mean players cannot (will not) choose not to pay when it gets excessive. I didn't spend any money on the game because it wasn't even that good., really. Just a way to kill time.

And in any case, the original Most Wanted and Underground 2 are, or were since World is no longer available, far superior NFS games.

I played it at launch, the best fun was to crash other players and see their car flipping all over the place but they didnt allow it. Even today what Need for Speed Online was at launch could be instant hit among players. Drive at fast speed, watch other players who want to crash you etc.

If they are gonna do Need for Speed Online 2, keep the crashing, and make good crash physics, flipping should happen but it should be rare, like both players want it, if you see other player coming at full speed, smartest thing is to avoid the crash, or you flip etc.

Last edited:
I picked up a few Xbox games we had lying around and that I really like (or even love), and I plan to test whether they work on my 360. Two of them are on the official backwards compatibility list and the two others I found videos of with them running on a 360, so I'm hopeful.

Burnout 3 is a game I would absolutely love to be able to play without bringing the Xbox itself, and it is listed as compatible by Microsoft themselves. One of my all-time favourite games, that one. :D

HUGE fan of Bioware here.

I remember the time when they announced that they were gonna be making an RPG on Star Wars.... Yeah back then they were already known as an RPG powerhouse with their smash hit Baldur's Gate but every videogame fan back then knew that games made from movies were mostly less than successful.... Still Bioware being Bioware made KOTOR's storyline so good that G.Lucas gave the nod for them being included in the SW universe.

Not satisfied with their own success of KOTOR; these dudes went out and created THEIR freaking own space opera called MASS EFFECT. Same thing when they announced KOTOR back then; me and a few others were kinda sceptical. I mean how can you beat a space opera like Starwars ? How can you top your very own KOTOR ??

Well apparently they did. For me ( and a few others i believe.. ) atleast. Till this day, i still count the Mass Effect trilogy as my favourite RPG of all time. Dragon Age comes second and then KOTOR.

I can safely say i've replayed these 3 franchises from scratch numerous times and i dont think ive done the same for other games.

I used to be a huge Bioware fan (Kotor & Jade Empire :cool:)but then CDPR happened. Plus Bioware changed into a company that didn't cater for my tastes anymore.

Mass Effect 1 would probably have been a bigger deal for me if The Witcher 1 hadn't absolutely blown my mind a few months prior, but I still liked it a lot. Same for Dragon Age: Origins.

ME2 was the last game from them that I played. Now it seems they are more or less finished if Anthem and the rumors surrounding it are to be believed..

Last edited:
Former Bioware fan here too... Have you checked out Obsidian Games? Their Pillars of Eternity franchise is pretty good, if you're into old-school RPGs (think Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale).
Over the last few months I've played both Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Original Sin 2 and they're worth one's time if you're into RPGs.

Guest 3847602

Mass Effect 1 would probably have been a bigger deal for me if The Witcher 1 hadn't absolutely blew my mind a few months prior, but I still liked it a lot. Same for Dragon Age: Origins.
It's very similar for me - discovery of TW couldn't affect how I feel about ME, as their settings were nothing alike, but DA?
Every Witcher game in the trilogy felt like it's a class above corresponding Dragon Age title, with margin just growing and growing.

I’ll always remember and be thankful to BioWare for the interesting things they did with Stars Wars. Especially KOTOR2.

I really liked Mass Effect 1 and 2, but 3 was a disaster that I never forgave them for.

I always considered Dragon Age to be rather tropy standard fare and that includes Origins. On top of that, BioWare became rather predictable with its villains. The strong similarities of both the reapers and the dark spawn being hordes of altered version of the regular races, controlled by some ancient darkness, got old fast.

Still, DA 1 and 2 were enjoyable enough for me gameplay-wise and I loved the RPG mechanics of origins.

When I tried to give BioWare another chance after Mass Effect 3 with a purchase of DA:Inquisition however...
I wasn’t so much dissapointed as bored out of my skull. The world was just so stilted and empty. By then I had played Witcher 2 and the comparison couldn’t have been worse.

I never looked back on any BioWare product since and I stopped buying them. Witcher has completely replaced Dragon Age for my fantasy RPG needs. Cyberpunk won’t do the same for Mass Effect, as I still dearly miss that universe, but I don’t think the magic of Mass Effect 1 will ever be recaptured.

Mass Effect 1 introduced its politics, species and cultures with such care and deliberation, but by 3 BioWare had already worn that down with too much camp and banality.

I think I can grow to become a little tired of CDPR’s fondness of gravely hero archetypes making their way through an uncaring world too. Mass Effect 1 at least had some hopeful magic to it - the feeling of something wondrous and special around the next corner, whereas CDPR has too much grit in their works to get me to wonder. If CDPR manages to keep up its quality though, that moment of me growing tired of its schchtic will be a long time coming however. Mass Effect failed to hang on to its magic, where CDPR’s solid routine is easy to maintain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom