Do Not Be Afraid About CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understood that. It’s a given in party based games that that is part of the design. I just said you don’t need classes for that.

Yeah, I must have read your post wrong :). Not sure why because after re-reading it what you said was pretty clear. One of those days.... Not needing rigid classes is what I was getting at with my response. So we're on the same page.

My guess is based off the 2018 footage with Jackie fighting alongside V there will only be certain missions that you can only bring certain people along with you so that each one of them reacts differently or has unique dialogue.

It would be pretty cool to have different options open up depending on who you decide to bring with you or if you do it solo. Like Jackie's hot head might break your stealth or drastically escalate a situation where as another companion might be more familiar with the area and may know secret passageways or might know one of the dudes giving you a way to avoid a fire fight if you want to.

If it does work that way it could add to replay value too :D

It would be pretty cool to have different options open up depending on who you decide to bring with you or if you do it solo. Like Jackie's hot head might break your stealth or drastically escalate a situation where as another companion might be more familiar with the area and may know secret passageways or might know one of the dudes giving you a way to avoid a fire fight if you want to.

There should be stuff like this. Sounds pretty basic stuff, one of your mates is doing something, you have choice to stop them or no etc. If you dont stop them, fight might get loose.

Btw, they went with replayablility with this game.

Up to the player which all skills he chooses. And you only get to specialize in limited amount of skills anyway, if you wish to be good at any, party or not.
Never played "Skyrim" I take it?

In most games what you said is true, you can't do it all. But such games, like CP2077 is, are designed around different skill sets achieving the same end result. I.E. you can pick the lock, remove the hinges, bash it down, blow it open, etc. In these cases a party is not required. But in most party based games only a given class has the skills needed to perform a given task. I.E. D&D, only certain classes can pick locks or use a spell to open them. That, in-and-of-itself means you can't achieve the end result unless a character with those skills (i.e. that class) is in the party.

I know this is all basic knowledge, but it's the basic concepts behind it that matter not the details. Providing the option for party play is vastly different from requiring it.

Why ”must”? Why should the player be said ”No” if he wants a party full of tanks, or glass cannons, or a full team of rogues? It’s the assumed prerequisite that you have two tanks, a rogue, a healer and two casters; or what ever equivalent Cyberpunk might have, that makes class systems so rigid. Or, to put it another way, who says how big the party should be? Why not allow a 2 person party even if there are 20 different classes to choose from?
It's a matter of game concept/design. Of course not all games are developed around the same template, duh. But like the mechanics the template itself both permits and limits what you can do. Or at the very least makes things much easier or harder to accomplish.

A good example of this is Electronic Arts forcing the use of the Frostbite engine on Mass Effect. That engine is GREAT for shooters, but a total dung heap for RPGs because the engine doesn't have the systems/mechanics needed for them.

Last edited:
I would prefer if the companions would act based on what their agenda is. I hate the CRPG in which companions are just blind puppets, making everything player wants from them.

Companions that travel with a player character never really add anything in terms of gameplay, and can even be annoying when the A.I. decides to do dumb things. The "benefit" of having companions is just for the dialogue they provide while in your party.

I don't think CD Projekt Red needs to go the Bioware route, though. The missions in TW3 where characters accompanied Geralt on missions without being true party members, and provided plenty of banter, had that covered.

Companions that travel with a player character never really add anything in terms of gameplay, and can even be annoying when the A.I. decides to do dumb things. The "benefit" of having companions is just for the dialogue they provide while in your party.

I'm not sure I'd agree. A good counter-example would be companions in The Outer Worlds. If you're unfamiliar, each had various strengths in terms of their skills. I believe one dialogue skill and two utility skills per companion. When they were included in the group those skills directly improved the corresponding player skills. There were even ways to increase the degree of those improvements. Incidentally, you could swap out a companion here or there to have skills better suited for a given task.

It may be true to say companions often don't add anything to game play. Case and point, Skyrim companions were glorified door jams. This is not at all because it's impossible for them to contribute. It's because the 1's and 0's often don't allow them to make meaningful contributions. As Suh mentioned above, the game being built where any task can be completed by the player alone would be a good example. Choosing to go one route over another merely changes the way you complete the task. Bash the door down, lock pick it, hack your way around it, sneak up on a bad guy, knock him over the head and steal the key, etc.

It's another matter if the game is built in a way where the player cannot complete or excel at every task, they may require help from time to time, and certain companions bring meaningful solutions to the table. In this case selecting companions has meaningful game play implications. You can bring them for reasons outside of adding an extra body to the group or flavor purposes.

I am just saying this. It is sad a game that is supposed to be based in a pen and paper rpg get watered down as interactive fps.

if they are gonna do companion system I hope its Trauma Team. imagine helicopter arriving at your location, sniper start shooting enemies, or if you're inside, door is kicked in and guys rushes in with guns blazing etc, or if theres windows, dudes jumps through it and start shooting. Kinda navy-seal-companion system, I havent seen those in game industry before at least. Or a car drives to your location and stops, guy goes behind the door, start shooting, if its on the streets for example. Helicopter for off-road stuff.

They could even use Trauma Team for combat ress. your health drops to zero, you go coma, you see eyes closing, next time your eyes open when some trauma team dude is resurrecting you.

My idea isnt really companion system its "back up" system. Never seen those. Or wait Ubisoft might have one, not sure though.

Last edited:
I am just saying this. It is sad a game that is supposed to be based in a pen and paper rpg get watered down as interactive fps.
Pen and paper RPGs can only be transferred with mechanics intact to isometric CRPGs with turn based/real time with pause combat. CP2077 hype most likely will entice HBS to make new Shadowrun game and there will be tons of indies like that to ride the Cyberpunk hype train.

Games like that are niche. Even much praised Divinity Original Sin 2 has already been outsold by The Outer Worlds despite the latter being on Xbox game pass and with Epic Store exclusivity.

And that is fine. Cyberpunk 2020/Red is not just game-play, its also setting and lore. Likewise a game set in Forgotten Realms does not necessary need to use D&D dice rolls.

We haven't had good AAA Cyberpunk genre game ever so its nice to get one. The purpose of AAA budget is to deliver escapism and immersion and CP2077 will succeed on that.

I would prefer if the companions would act based on what their agenda is. I hate the CRPG in which companions are just blind puppets, making everything player wants from them.

Actually it's not about "companions", it's about (temporary) teammates aka the only way V (even worse as V is supposed by the game to be a rookie) should be able to survive the deadly firefights in the deadly Cyberpunk 2020 universe.
Because deadly is one of the words which defines Cyberpunk 2020 universe.

In that world a character which does his jobs by himself is already a legend, not a Rookie.
Post automatically merged:

Pen and paper RPGs can only be transferred with mechanics intact to isometric CRPGs with turn based/real time with pause combat.

And?
Why do people, when they say that you cannot do white almost always says black instead?
Half of the world's problems comes from that. :facepalm:

There can be a lot, and really a lot of way to implement everything that makes C2020 into an action game, you just need to use your imagination (mainly how your could change the dice roll fro the player but keep the rest).

Last edited:
Actually it's not about "companions", it's about (temporary) teammates aka the only way V (even worse as V is supposed by the game to be a rookie) should be able to survive the deadly firefights in the deadly Cyberpunk 2020 universe.
Because deadly is one of the words which defines Cyberpunk 2020 universe.

In that world a character which does his jobs by himself is already a legend, not a Rookie.

Perhaps this will be exactly this - you would need to convince / hire / bribe / force companions to help you? Maybe playing on a higher difficulty will be deadly without having a backup? We don't know.

There is nothing which I hate more in CRPG's than some stupid companions (Outer Worlds, Fallout, Skyrim, and so on), running blindly behind you when you are currently exploring some toilet in some house. Or stupidly attacking some enemy stronger than they, just because you started the fight. A sensible companion would run away.

I really hope that CDPR will do the companions behaviour well.

Perhaps this will be exactly this - you would need to convince / hire / bribe / force companions to help you? Maybe playing on a higher difficulty will be deadly without having a backup? We don't know.

Well, they told and repeated during interview that V that they balanced the game around the fact that the game revolve around letting the player do missions exactly the way he wants, one of them being shooting everyone (what they call the Solo gameplay).

And?
Why do people, when they say that you cannot do white almost always says black instead?
Half of the world's problems comes from that. :facepalm:

There can be a lot, and really a lot of way to implement everything that makes C2020 into an action game, you just need to use your imagination (mainly how your could change the dice roll fro the player but keep the rest).

Given the scale between GTA and pure RPG the more CP2077 is closer to GTA the more it will sell.

Amount of units CP2077 need to sell already to cover costs is way out of league of all these RPGs.

Given the scale between GTA and pure RPG the more CP2077 is closer to GTA the more it will sell.

Pretty and hollow, keeping interactions on the surface level?
Well, I sure hope not, and even the pessimist that I am now refuse to believe C2077 will fall to that level, as I think C2077 will still globally be an improvement from TW3 when it comes to RPG (just far from what they announced a while, while back ago).

Amount of units CP2077 need to sell already to cover costs is way out of league of all these RPGs.

And? You know this was meant to be a RPG right? They went quite in lengh to explain their intentions on the blog that now don't exist anymore the original idea was to adapt the pen and paper in manner to make the game be enjoyed by both videogames and pen and paper fan.

What was done instead is give way more importance in to create an interactive fps with lite roleplay elements at the point is not even close to the spirit of the pen and paper game.

The only thing they did right and not in everything is the visuals the rest is far from the spirit of the source material.

Solo instead to be a trained professional becomed terminator.
Netrunner is reduced at hacking minigames.
And Techie is reduced to be the crafter.

FPS sells more? Who cares?

This game was never meant to be a FPS according with cd projekt red. They still insist is an rpg first and foremost even if the evidences suggested that rp elements are barebone in this game.

The matter was to take risks and develop a fully fledged RPG that would do the pen and paper justice versus deliver another Fps with lite elements. And they opted for the easy lazy way despite talking about ambitions.

Beside is also worth to mention few years ago EA declared rpg don't sells anymore then Larian stepped in doing an isometic rpg and even turn based that was a massive success so massive they got saved by bankrupcy to then even develop a sequel that sold even more and now they even got the license to make the sequel of one of the most popular CRPG of all time Baldur's gate.

I respect a develper the has the guts to try something different instead to stick to the stagnant dull market.

Last edited:
The term RPG is not flexible is just a PR strategy to justifty the genre Hybridization across the years. Is not a secret games like Baldur's gate,Icewind dale,Pillars of eternity,Fallout 1-2 new vegas and other games are considered the top tier rpgs of all time despite all this games that claims to be RPG and are not RPG at all.

Ark survival evolved is also labeled as RPG for example.

My only problem with is. Is that i was thinking Cd projekt were able to take some risks and deliver a proper Cyberpunk game that would had been loved by pen and paper fans and the others guess i was too much optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom