poor npc draw distance

+
Npc draw distance (Novigrad by far the worst) is bad in this game..when you walk towards people you see them appearing in the distance..
anyone knows if there are any mods to fix that ? looked all over nexus and couldnt find anything

specs: gtx1080ti, 16gbram, i78700

Last edited:
From a quick google search, I'd say maybe this might help?

Of course, that issue also depends a lot on your PC specs.

From a quick google search, I'd say this might help:

Of course, that issue also depends a lot on your PC specs.
thank you for your help..i tried that mod,put everything on max but didnt notice any difference
also my specs: gtx1080ti, 16gbram, i78700...so that shouldnt be the problem.

but I looked on multiple youtube videos and everyone had poor draw distance in Novigrad

Well, it's not really an unusual problem when it comes to big open world games. Those games often struggle with things like that. But it's probably better now compared to right after the release.

Can you post your specs, Windows version, driver version, game version, etc.?

I've not noticed Novigrad being any different than any other area. On my end, I'll get a random and very occasional NPC popping in, but it's definitely not as bad as what you seem to be seeing. Older versions had issues with pretty severe pop-in, though. Whole crowds of NPCs would suddenly draw in 10 feet in front of Geralt, or characters would spawn without heads and hands...all sorts of weirdness. Hasn't been an issue for a long while now.

Were you using mods before the suggested one (at any point in the past)?

I have a strong pc
Gtx 1080ti, i78700 16gbram

I checked alot of novigrad videos on youtube and i see npcs popping for everyone..its not so bad as you think im saying its probably just me being to focused on it..they appear like 30-50 meters infront of you..sometimes closer sometimes further away..but like i said im probably just looking into it to much
Post automatically merged:

0:43 and 3:35 just tell me if thats normal so i stop focusing on it

Last edited:
Your PC may be good but playing in 4K is much more demanding than playing in HD.

That being said, the video you posted doesn‘t look that bad to me.

As far as I remember it is possible to reduce the number of background characters in the menu. Maybe that can help?

^ 1080 ti is not really sufficient to run TW3 at 4K. I'm not sure that a 2080 ti is enough in most cases. This...

...is runnning amazingly well.

Yes, the pop in is perfectly normal for the engine given the amount of detail that needs to be rendered in real-time. Similar pop-in may even occur at 1080p depending on what the background is doing. (Meaning for the game, not outside processes.)

Sounds like a PCI express limitation...

Not a hardware limitation. Just the way the game loads and culls assets. If I increase draw distance, it happens in a wider and wider radius around my camera. Thinking of it in terms of a "square grid", if I'm loading a 3x3 zone, and I want to increase the draw distance, the engine will have to up it to a 5x5 zone next, then to a 7x7, etc.

But look at what's happening to the area: 9 --> 25 --> 49 --> 121... So, if we're to say there's an average of 5 NPCs per "grid zone", then the engine only needs to process 45 NPCs total. If we push it out just two more steps, the engine has to process 245 NPCs -- simultaneously. I've exponentially increased the load, which is taking more and more resources up on the machine. I can expect an exponential decrease in performance until the engine finally crashes.

Thus, to create the illusion of a continuous world, I decrease the range at which world assets are drawn or culled, and that, in turn, ensures the engine never hits "critical mass" with NPCs and stuff. Now, the engine can stream in assets more fluidly, but the distance at which assets are drawn / culled decreases, and I may notice some fade-in or pop-in.

Top Bottom