Important news regarding Cyberpunk 2077 release date

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet you're gonna play both of them. Thats kinda the root of the problem, good games are so rare, companies can do this kind of stuff. Even you're new to game industry, you play lets say 4 year, you are in same position than the rest of us, you wait for the next game.
The root of the problem is companies greed not the players urge to play games as a means of escapism.
I got pretty good example from myself. I played, Rage 2, Destiny 2, RDR2, Senua, Fallen Order, Metro Exodus, Need for Speed Heat just in 5 weeks. Yeah, my Winter games.
Don’t make a mistake of judging everyone by your own example. Not everyone is like you in any regard. Of all the games you mentioned I’ve played only one - RDR2 and I’m only 25% in since I don’t play after work, so workdays are essentially left out.

In other news despite the long ass delay actual developers would still have to crunch (link). What’s also weird is that passage:
The executive also confirmed during the Q&A that the Cyberpunk 2077 development team was only informed of the delay "minutes" before the official announcement came through.

Uh. Shouldn’t it be the other way around i.e. the dev team giving the executive the information whether or not they would make the deadline? In this case the dev team is busting their asses trying to make an irrationally soon release date when the execs state they push it back but hold on, guys, it doesn’t automatically mean you can relax, no, you’ll still have to crunch, overwork and burn out.

And they all know whether they can do it on time - it’s not like they were developing the game for 5 years and suddenly realized it’s a year away from being ready. If that’s the case then it’s a sign of poor planning and bad intercommunication between departments and especially between dev team leads and executives.

News of this delay brought a bitter start to my day, but it also solidified a pledge I have made to myself as I witness more and more modern game releases: not only is it a bad idea to pre-order a game that will be made available digitally, but the actual best time to pick one up nowadays is AFTER the final patch has been delivered or the Definitive/Game of the Year/Complete Edition has been released.

Why am I sharing this (likely very unpopular) perspective with you fine ladies and gentlemen? Because for me at least, what is even more disappointing than a delay - or even repeated delays, as we’ve seen with The Witcher 3 - is finally getting that game you’ve been waiting ages for neatly installed and booted up on launch day, only to see it chugging away with stuttering and further ruining your immersion with bugs, glitches and performance issues. There’s no end to the examples I could give, but RDR2 on PC comes to mind quite easily - a game that I have now shelved until it is properly fixed.

Going back to The Witcher 3, I actually began my playthrough on 15th May 2015 - I couldn’t wait anymore after those repeated delays! But even WITH those delays, the game’s graphics still suffered a downgrade (that modders are still trying to remedy now, in 2020) and the game was still buggy, glitchy and suffering from poor performance issues for many months after it was belatedly released. The fact that I kept playing in spite of all of that - and for 300+ hours no less - is a testament to what a great game it turned out to be underneath all of that grime.

Looking back on it all now, however, I can’t help but envy the people who waited and got to experience The Witcher 3 on the Game of the Year Edition and patch 1.32. Slicker UI, two massive expansions already included, way less bugs, way less performance issues, playing it on more recent and powerful hardware and the list goes on. I would indeed like to get back all of those 300+ hours I already put in so that I could invest them into the best possible version of the game now!

Alas, that is not possible, so what I can do is stick to my plan for the future. Our life on this Earth is sadly limited and I am finding that time spent waiting for something with bated breath, checking on it every day, suffering through delays and then finally having a less-than-desirable experience when it does actually arrive on my PC is time that I would rather invest in developing my own skills, improving my own quality of life and strengthening the relationships I have with my loved ones.

Having said that, I was already in the process of preparing something to tide you PC players over, so for the time being I will work on delivering that to you. After that, we shall see what the dark future holds!

This is good advice. Not advice I can follow given how long I've already waited for this game, but good advice nonetheless.

I honestly have no problem with buying games on release, but I feel that way because there are very few games I get truly excited about anymore. Out of the dozens of releases likely scheduled for this year, there are 3 -- 3 -- that I plan to play. Bannerlord, Cyberpunk, and Bloodlines 2.

Oh well. I was planning to play The Witcher 3 again anyways.
But, CDPR, it would be good if you could share with us a bit more in detail the reasons behind the delay.

You need more time, cool. But no new info, not even screenshots?

Come on REDs, the content drought is getting too long.
If I remember correctly, Rockstar released some new screenshots when RDR2 got delayed.

CDPR should have done that too, IMO.

If I remember correctly, Rockstar released some new screenshots when RDR2 got delayed.

CDPR should have done that too, IMO.

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Inb4 'You have 1 hour long gameplay demo that R* never released'.... that thing is completely outdated now. We need new content.

Well, they've said they're confident that the game will be ready for a september release, but, If I remember correctly, they said the same about the april release, so I wouldn't be surprised if the game gets delayed again.
In that case I'll cancel my preorder and forget about the game. I'm honestly beginning to get tired of gaming and this game is in a sense "my only hope". But gaming is an expensive and time-consuming hobby and I only have so much patience.
Yeah, me neither. There are other reasons which go beyond just wanting something to release as early as possible. Do not misunderstand me, I get that the delay is probably a very good thing for the game's quality. The reasons why I'm tired of gaming have nothing to do with delays. I no longer feel joy in it. This has been happening to me for a long time, and now it's reached its peak.
I guess I had unrealistic expectations about the release of this game making me regain a joy I no longer feel, and the delay has sent me crushing down back to reality.

You’ve managed to summarize my thoughts on the gaming as a means of escaping the reality no longer bringing the joy it used to exceptionally well. I guess CP2077 represented one of those few bastions of gaming still worth holding on to for me as well.

I honestly have no problem with buying games on release, but I feel that way because there are very few games I get truly excited about anymore. Out of the dozens of releases likely scheduled for this year, there are 3 -- 3 -- that I plan to play. Bannerlord, Cyberpunk, and Bloodlines 2.

Same here, I only look forward to a handful of games in 2020, namely DOOM Eternal, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Dying Light 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 and Cyberpunk 2077.

Nothing else makes me feel like I should invest my limited free time in it. Oh, apart from a New Game+ playthrough of The Witcher 3, which I have never tried before! :p

You’ve managed to summarize my thoughts on the gaming as a means of escaping the reality no longer bringing the joy it used to exceptionally well. I guess CP2077 represented one of those few bastions of gaming still worth holding on to for me as well.

I wholeheartedly agree with this perspective. During university I would play (and finish!) all new major games, just as they released. Nowadays I have a family of my own and am MUCH more selective with what I spend my free time on.

If I do spend time with a game now, it better be a great experience from the get-go, otherwise it’s just not worth the time investment. :(

What about just cancelling the game?

I'm serious, CDPR made way too much mistakes for just a game.
1. Developing two games in a row, when you're not big company: Even now, CDPR is not that big and consider this game was developed way before Witcher 3 was a thing. Carrying too heavy stuff will eventually harm you

2. Anakin, do you know the tragedy of Duke Nukem Forever the Long Developed Then Sent To Oblivion? 8 year is really long time because your game engine will be outdated, other companies will make games and you'll forced to add new stuff for compete. Or if you just don't care then release your game with outdated graphics and technology then watch how you get nukes from Metacritic and people. Did I mentioned No Man's Sky's refund policy btw?

3. Delaying: Especially when people showing you as a new hope, you just decide to betray their feelings. They think you're different, they hope you keep your promises and boom. Don't be fooled by some loyal people's "it's ok bud, take ur time" messages. Well or you can, refunds will prove you otherwise.

4. Pre-Purchase when you're not even sure if you can finish the game: Do I really have to explain why this is bad?

5. Expectations: Do you know why Valve will never release a HL sequel? Because people waiting it for a very long time, no matter what how game is good people will say "this is really HL sequel we've waited for years? Trash!". Same case may happen to CP2077

6. Do you know the wise man of Far Cry 3? He once said the definition of madness. Regardless of how you're treated, working on same thing for years is boring and will eventually mentally damage you. Do I have to remind RDR 2 controversy?

7. Multiplayer: Like, just why? Why you did even bothered to plan a multiplayer? Especially in a time even EA is returning to make good singleplayer games. Dude never forget you released only one IP and three games (not counting GWENT game).

For these mistakes amd more, this game should be cancelled in my opinion. A cancelled game is way better than having second Duke Nukem Forever disaster

Oh sure! No Problemo, hardly an inconvenience. Throw away all the assets and years of hard work. I’m sure neither the audience, nor the investors will mind.

In fact: I’ll do you one better: why not just call bankruptcy and dissolve the entire studio? Maybe they could also pull the Witcher games from steam, burn the GOG servers, keep the pre-order money and flee to a tropical island.

[Bit much. -Drac]

The fact that CDPR failed to launch in April proved that humanity as a whole was a bad idea. Leave one or two garden hoses open, flood the planet and start over.

Oh sure! No Problemo, hardly an inconvenience. Throw away all the assets and years of hard work. I’m sure neither the audience, nor the investors will mind.

In fact: I’ll do you one better: why not just call bankruptcy and dissolve the entire studio? Maybe they could also pull the Witcher games from steam, burn the GOG servers, keep the pre-order money and flee to a tropical island.

[Bit much. -Drac]

The fact that CDPR failed to launch in April proved that humanity as a whole was a bad idea. Leave one or two garden hoses open, flood the planet and start over.

:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

[Bit much. -Drac]

Let's say you're a detective who investigating a robbery (let's say $100M stolen from a bank) for 8 years, you're so obsessed with that you got fired, your partner divorced you and your kids literally hate you. And your doctor said you should let it go otherwise it will cause irreparable damages on your mental health.

But in other side, you got very important info that you're so sure you'll finally solve the long mystery in few months.

Would you continue or let it go? You think I'm stupid enough to not realize years of hard working? But sometimes, you need to let it go. 14 years of effort spent on Duke Nukem Forever, only for people sending it to oblivion. Did anyone cared their hard work and efforts? No.

That's what I'm afraid, if this game constantly gets delays and when it's eventually released if there's only outdated graphics and gameplay nobody will care Witcher and send CP2077 to oblivion with no regret nor thinking "but there's years of effort and hard working". One single game is enough to nuke you.

Let's say you're a detective who investigating a robbery (let's say $100M stolen from a bank) for 8 years, you're so obsessed with that you got fired, your partner divorced you and your kids literally hate you. And your doctor said you should let it go otherwise it will cause irreparable damages on your mental health.

But in other side, you got very important info that you're so sure you'll finally solve the long mystery in few months.

Would you continue or let it go? You think I'm stupid enough to not realize years of hard working? But sometimes, you need to let it go. 14 years of effort spent on Duke Nukem Forever, only for people sending it to oblivion. Did anyone cared their hard work and efforts? No.

That's what I'm afraid, if this game constantly gets delays and when it's eventually released if there's only outdated graphics and gameplay nobody will care Witcher and send CP2077 to oblivion with no regret nor thinking "but there's years of effort and hard working". One single game is enough to nuke you.
How long exactly do you think it's going to be delayed?

Witcher 3 took just as long to develop and its graphics and gameplay were widely considered fantastic. It sold very well and got great reviews, both from users and critics.

What exactly makes you think 2077 will be different?

Is our disappointment now, worth our Keanu Reeves moments a few months ago?
To be really honest, I'm way less disapponted with the delay than with a full marketing campaign marely based on an hollywood star with no showcase of the game. A delay improves the game, not showing the game increases doubts. And as a matter of fact, the game got delayed, confirming those doubts.
I'm guessing that when they announced the release date, they thought they could keep it.
IMHO, they were confident until they showed the demo at E3. Then this happened:
Pretty much all journalists: :think: "cool stuff, but you don't plan to release the game with those combat animations, do you?"
Dev: *dies inside*: :oops: "ehm... of course not... very months left... much optimization going on..."
End of E3, game director: "abort mission holidays! abort mission holidays! this is not a drill! start crunching as hell!"

Releasing another TW3 would just make people laugh at them.
Seems people have totally forgotten that TW3 was not perfect at release.

Did any of you consider that maybe they delayed the game because... they needed to delay the game?
It seems CDPR as most game companies still rely of "Bioware magic" method of developing games. So they announce release date when they don't have feature complete "beta" build. Either whatever caused the delay was not integrated yet or it was in broken state but they expected to fix it in time. While nothing in the game seems to be innovative a lot of it is uncharted area for CDPR so they likely had unrealistic estimations.

I saw a speculation that something like poor AI caused the delay (Witcher 3 also had poor enemy AI btw). While this might not be it, a fundamental feature like that is something that could cause this, as its not a simple fix yet leaving it as is would result in sub-par experience.

But a pattern in the visuals is as you said,clear,and they are degrading,its only the WHY and for what reason?
Wasn't it up-sampled because of RTX? Old gameplay was without this and looked sharper. Perhaps this is difference of opinion - some people care about realistic lightning etc, others just want high rez textures and sharp image and turn all the HDR/bloom/blur whatever crap off.

Come on REDs, the content drought is getting too long.
I do not expect new gameplay at all until E3. Will be very dry months up until then, we already reached a limit of how much we can fluff the discussion with tabletop lore, speculation and wishes. It seems Cyberpunk Red and lore-book will be delayed as well.

5 months is brutal. Thats like ... almost 1 year away.

Thing is even worse for me and others who had to upgrade their PC's for this game. I spent top dollar on an RTX 2080 when i could have waited and get it at a lower price later this year (or get any newer gpus if any released till september) had i known the april release date was not going to happen ...

I have seen this mentioned a few times now, which begs the question: why not wait until a week before launch? I mean, maybe you could have gotten a better deal in April (than now). If the upgrade is solely for CP2077, that would be logical thing to do. To clarify, I am not saying this to excuse CDPR, rather I am just curious why players have already upgraded their computer while the game is still months away.

Hallo CDPR. I was waiting for your Game for a very long time before the E3 exhibition with Keanu Reeves, pre-ordered in June (you can see there is a Check) and thought you were word people, promised to release the game in April 2020, it will be so. As a result, what I see, you transfer your game every time just to not release it. On the contrary, you would be helped by players to see the mistakes to make which and where at the release in April. Moreover, are you going to nominate in the Game of the Year or not, I still do not understand? In general, then you can transfer it to December 2020 (now there is no confidence that they will not transfer) or even to the Spring of 2021.

Thank you, but it would be better if I ordered another game, which will be released exactly in the Spring of 2020. I wrote in support of the return of the pre-order, but they did not answer me, how can I return the pre-order and 60 Euros? I’d better order another game then in the Spring, than wait, it’s not clear how much yours is. I hope you will help with the return of my pre-order. Thank you for what you are doing, but I do not want to wait more than another 5 years.

it’s not serious for such a company ...

Attachments

• преордер.jpg
    преордер.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 63
Seems people have totally forgotten that TW3 was not perfect at release.

They really did, actually. That’s what I wanted to stress in my earlier post!

The Witcher 3 was delayed not once, but twice and when it finally released it was still ridden with numerous glitches, some quest-breaking bugs and lots of performance issues on all platforms.

I now have a strong feeling that, given the sheer ambition of Cyberpunk 2077, its launch performance will very closely mimic that of The Witcher 3.

It took more than two dozen patches to get Witcher 3 to where it is today. I can only imagine how many patches will be applied to Cyberpunk after it finally launches, whenever that might actually happen.

Last edited:

Blistering sarcasm and opportunity to make jokes aside, I understand what you’re saying. You’re making the “Sunk Cost Fallacy” argument. The one where people only continue to do something only because of costs already incurred, instead of the benefits later, which may no longer be worth the total expenditure. I don’t think you’re stupid. It’s actually a very interesting question to ask.

However, there’s a tipping point between the detective in the example just doing and needing to do his job, and him becoming obsessed.
I don’t think we’re anywhere near that point in game development terms though and I think that the video game doctor would agree with me.

Here’s a plot twist to the epic Detective Noir metaphore though: could the detective, be you?

Like me, you’ve put way too much excitement into this game and April. Our own Sunk Cost Fallacy and we may have gotten a little obsessed.
Now that the chickens have come home to bite us in the ass, I’m expressing my disappointment by making excuses, and you’re dealing with yours by denouncing the game as not worth finishing anymore to let go of our own Sunk Costs.

That’s okay. I understand. I’m sad too, but I don’t think the development of Cyberpunk can be compared to Vietnam just yet (also a Sunk Cost Fallacy).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom