Thank You Forum Moderators for curing my OCD! - RIP Ask a Dev Thread

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Everytime I open the forum, which is quite a lot, I used to see "Ask a Dev" thread being pinned and on top and it was depressing. The devs abandoned that amazing thread a long long time ago and it was making me sad everytime I open the forum. In fact, if Ask a Dev wasn’t there, I wouldn't even have become an active member in the forum. When I started the game and reached the forum, Ask a Dev was a thing and Burza used to reply every day (and multiple times in a day). It was such a friendly environment to get response from the devs directly for your doubts.

For the past 6 months (or more), the interactions started dwindling response frequency became lesser and lesser. And once in a few months someone will ask "Is this thread dead?" and within a few days one of the random question will be answered. This was going on for sometime and the last time this question was asked was months ago and even after that question no response came. It was a worrying sign. Just for the past few days I was thinking of creating a thread to ask the members if they would want to have this thread active or not (a poll or something) which may make that thread active once again.

But as I open the forum now, that thread is no longer pinned!. It is a clear message that 'That thread is dead and no long monitored or tracked or will be responded by the devs'. I actually welcome it. It should have been done months ago when devs lost interest in responding to the members. But I wont blame the devs for this decision. Most of the questions are some angry rant which doesn't warrant a proper response. Some are simply complaints and some are suggestions. So, it is natural that the devs can't just pick one unanswered post there and respond when there are twenty or more other suggestions/rants/complaints.

Ask A Dev will always be a special thread for me, as, it is one of the reasons, I felt more connected to the Game itself. RIP Ask a Dev thread!

Last edited:
Burza used to reply every day (and multiple times in a day)

Aye, Burza is really cool. He's not above answering the occasional silly question either. I remember asking him once "Pavko, what is best in life?" and he said something about riding a bike and feeling the wind caress his hair or something. It was beautiful, mate. *sniffs*

I also asked him what his favorite color is, during an AMA session. To my surprise, he actually answered. He said it's yellow.
As a side note, I have to say I'm always mightily impressed by people who know what their favorite color is because I can never figure it out myself. I always make sure not to reveal that little detail while standing near a perilous bridge though.:smart:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I agree that there's a lot of questions put on 'Ask a Dev' that weren't meant to be there, whether its questions that have already been answered, gameplay questions that any experienced player can answer or just not-questions that really dont deserve a response. And i praise the moderators' work, that end up dealing with most of the messes.

However i dont think it's acceptable letting that thread die. Maybe most in these forums are new players or have short memory-span, so i will remind one of the promises the dev team made when HC was launched was that they would improve their communication with the community.

Well, their communication is at an all-time low, and i dont mean just letting that thread die. All we get are some streams when something is about to be released, and they are one-sided and not even to interact with the playerbase but to promote the new content.

CDPR really needs to step up their game on that department if they want to earn some respect from their players.

rrc

Forum veteran
It's still stickied in General, you know. Just like it always has been.
Yes, but not in Hot Topics, where most people visit and leave the Forum.. When Holiday Postcard thread was unpinned (since it was no longer valid or relevant) Ask A Dev was also unpinned from Hot Topics.. that is what I meant..

Aye, Burza is really cool. He's not above answering the occasional silly question either. I remember asking him once "Pavko, what is best in life?" and he said something about riding a bike and feeling the wind caress his hair or something. It was beautiful, mate. *sniffs*

I also asked him what his favorite color is, during an AMA session. To my surprise, he actually answered. He said it's yellow.
As a side note, I have to say I'm always mightily impressed by people who know what their favorite color is because I can never figure it out myself. I always make sure not to reveal that little detail while standing near a perilous bridge though.:smart:
I know Burza is cool. How do I know? The very first question I asked in Ask A Dev was (something to the effect of) “Is Skellige the Gwent team’s favourite faction?”. I asked it when all factions were balanced and leaving SK (GS toxic meta) untouched. He actually replied for that question, a question which doesn’t warrant/deserve an answer. That was actually awesome. My respect for the game and the forum and Burza increased a lot and I started respecting more the forum and the game.. but now, none of the new players will know about how cool or awesome Burza is. Many may not even know him. Would you have this awesome mad respect on Burza if there was no Ask A Dev thread? I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t have such respect and affection if there was no Ask A Dev thread.

And I am sad that none of the new players will know how it felt like when the developers actually cared for communicating with the community. Currently it is just one way communication, that too just before (or after) things are already deployed.
In fact, I remember Burza’s answer about cycling is the best thing.

Devs cared about connecting with the community and did an excellent job and earned the love, respect, and in many cases BlindLove from the core of the community who will defend whatever the company does and the community management team does. They are just enjoying the benefit of that old effort. But unless they do it continuously, it won’t be sustainable.

I agree that there's a lot of questions put on 'Ask a Dev' that weren't meant to be there, whether its questions that have already been answered, gameplay questions that any experienced player can answer or just not-questions that really dont deserve a response. And i praise the moderators' work, that end up dealing with most of the messes.

However i dont think it's acceptable letting that thread die. Maybe most in these forums are new players or have short memory-span, so i will remind one of the promises the dev team made when HC was launched was that they would improve their communication with the community.

Well, their communication is at an all-time low, and i dont mean just letting that thread die. All we get are some streams when something is about to be released, and they are one-sided and not even to interact with the playerbase but to promote the new content.

CDPR really needs to step up their game on that department if they want to earn some respect from their players.
Yes, thank you! Well said!!

Top Bottom