Legends of Runeterra (Amazing new card game)

+
Alright everyone. Someone had to make a thread about this game and I'm fine being the one to do it. I don't know how many people will read this but I have some stuff to say about this game. I am having so so so much fun playing this game right now. Part of it might be because it's a new game so it's got that new game excitement going on but man I really enjoy the game play here. It feels so fun, tactical, and satisfying. I never played Hearthstone so I can't compare the mechanics with that game. I know that I like the art style of this game a lot more. It's a bit less cartoony. I did play some ESL that I enjoyed but in the end my issue with that game was how P2W in felt. This game appears to be very anti P2W sort of like Gwent so that shouldn't be an issue. ESL helped to prepare me for Legends with how that kind of card game works. I'm already familiar with many of the keywords and such. Honestly if Gwent doesn't step up it's game I will most likely be sticking with Legends for the foreseeable future. I am wondering how the usual Gwent streamers will divide their time between these games. McBeard appears to like the game a lot and I am stoked that I get to watch Swim/MegaMogwai/Merchant all play a game that I like again. Discuss below if you are interested. I can help anyone with questions if they want to try the game. I'm still a noob but I feel confident now in how the game works. Good luck.

LoR is just another Magic clone. It looks way better than HS or ESL, and it might even be better than MTGA, but if we get a miracle and CDPR starts caring about their own game, even LoR will be no match for Gwent.

Riot is very good at making competitive games, so LoR will probably be a huge success.

LoR is just another Magic clone. It looks way better than HS or ESL, and it might even be better than MTGA, but if we get a miracle and CDPR starts caring about their own game, even LoR will be no match for Gwent.

Riot is very good at making competitive games, so LoR will probably be a huge success.

I wish I was as optimistic about Gwent. I will always love the game and I never regret any of the time I have put into it. It just feels like they are on the same cycle and it will continue in the same direction it has been. If they drastically improve the game in the next 6 months I will be very happy and very impressed. I hope that happens.

I wish I was as optimistic about Gwent. I will always love the game and I never regret any of the time I have put into it. It just feels like they are on the same cycle and it will continue in the same direction it has been. If they drastically improve the game in the next 6 months I will be very happy and very impressed. I hope that happens.
Always optimistic and always disappointed :giveup:

Gwent is fundamentally different.
The very concept of aggro and actually keeping one's best cards for later is the exact opposite to how Gwent works.
Legends of Runeterra seems like a very interesting game to me, however I absolutely cannot stand to keep playing against aggro, so it propably does not matter to me.
In terms of all these Mana based games it seems like the best thus far.

The problem Gwent has compared to it is that Gwent feels too monotonous, that might get changed with the next balance changes though.

Last edited:
Was thinking about making a thread about this, but it would feel odd to promote a potential competitor of Gwent. But now that one exists, I'll say this: I have been playing since open beta (so, like almost 2 weeks) and I have been enjoying the game for the most part. It's still a little rough around the edges, but it's definitely better than Hearthstone and most other similar games.

LoR tries to take the best of all card games and put it together in a sleek package. The round-based attack and defend mechanism is interesting and tactical. You see, the game consists of rounds and each round has one or more turns. Per round there is an attacking player and defending player, which alternates between rounds. Once both players pass, the round ends and the attacker becomes the defender. There are many choices that can be made like when in the round you decide to attack. The play order of cards can be critical to success. Sometimes it's better to save your mana, which leads to another neat feature. Unspent mana isn't lost but is stored in a special "spell container" which can hold 3 mana. This allows you to save mana to play (more) spells next round. Also, I can try to outsmart my opponent, something that's almost no longer possible in Gwent. Furthermore, the feel of actual units clashing feels great in LoR.

Another thing of note is how friendly the game is to F2P players. With every match you gain exp, with an extra win bonus for the first few wins per day. With this exp you level up and gain (a lot of) rewards based on your level and area (reward book) you have selected. As a bonus, the exp also goes into a weekly chest, which can be unlocked once a week for even more rewards, most notably an Expedition (Arena) token which always grants a legendary card. Expedition tokes can also be bought with in-game currency or real money. An interesting choice by Riot (the game's devs), is not having the option to by loot boxes. Instead, you can only buy a few cards capped with a weekly limit.

Expedition (Arena), in which you craft your own deck from a selection of 3 groups, feels great too. The choices aren't complete random, but try to synergize with your existing picks so far, resulting in a deck that isn't a complete random mess. Another great feature, is that you are allowed to restart your expedition, if your first one fails (not getting 7 wins). A failure is losing 2 times in a row or losing the final match. Because of the semi-randomness, you can still get screwed by it. However, with the retry option it feels better to get another shot. You gain the rewards from the best expedition, which are also generous.

So, yeah, definitely recommended.

I am sorry CDPR for consorting with the enemy.

Gwent is fundamentally different.
The very concept of aggro and actually keeping one's best cards for later is the exact opposite to how Gwent works.
Legends of Runeterra seems like a very interesting game to me, however I absolutely cannot stand to keep playing against aggro, so it propably does not matter to me.
In terms of all these Mana based games it seems like the best thus far.

The problem Gwent has compared to it is that Gwent feels too monotonous, that might get changed with the next balance changes though.

Isn't keeping your giant plays for the last round what we do in Gwent?

I'm new to these other card games. What is meant by the term "aggro"?
Post automatically merged:

Was thinking about making a thread about this, but it would feel odd to promote a potential competitor of Gwent. But now that one exists, I'll say this: I have been playing since open beta (so, like almost 2 weeks) and I have been enjoying the game for the most part. It's still a little rough around the edges, but it's definitely better than Hearthstone and most other similar games.

LoR tries to take the best of all card games and put it together in a sleek package. The round-based attack and defend mechanism is interesting and tactical. You see, the game consists of rounds and each round has one or more turns. Per round there is an attacking player and defending player, which alternates between rounds. Once both players pass, the round ends and the attacker becomes the defender. There are many choices that can be made like when in the round you decide to attack. The play order of cards can be critical to success. Sometimes it's better to save your mana, which leads to another neat feature. Unspent mana isn't lost but is stored in a special "spell container" which can hold 3 mana. This allows you to save mana to play (more) spells next round. Also, I can try to outsmart my opponent, something that's almost no longer possible in Gwent. Furthermore, the feel of actual units clashing feels great in LoR.

Another thing of note is how friendly the game is to F2P players. With every match you gain exp, with an extra win bonus for the first few wins per day. With this exp you level up and gain (a lot of) rewards based on your level and area (reward book) you have selected. As a bonus, the exp also goes into a weekly chest, which can be unlocked once a week for even more rewards, most notably an Expedition (Arena) token which always grants a legendary card. Expedition tokes can also be bought with in-game currency or real money. An interesting choice by Riot (the game's devs), is not having the option to by loot boxes. Instead, you can only buy a few cards capped with a weekly limit.

Expedition (Arena), in which you craft your own deck from a selection of 3 groups, feels great too. The picks aren't complete random, but try to synergize with your existing picks so far, resulting in a deck that isn't a complete random mess. Another great feature, is that you are allowed to restart your expedition, if your first one fails (not getting 7 wins). A failure is losing 2 times in a row or losing the final match. Because of the semi-randomness, you can still get screwed by it. However, with the retry option it feels better to get another shot. You gain the rewards from the best expedition, which are also generous.

Completely agree

lol

Aggro is a deck that tries to swarm the opponent before he has a chance to respond. The opposite are control decks that try to draw out the match until the board gets wiped by superior power.

More info: https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Deck_type
Ah yes. I am familiar with this style from playing ESL. I kind of like having this playstyle in the game. So far Aggro doesn't seem as strong. But maybe it will become more of a thing in the future.

rrc

Forum veteran

Expedition (Arena), in which you craft your own deck from a selection of 3 groups, feels great too. The picks aren't complete random, but try to synergize with your existing picks so far, resulting in a deck that isn't a complete random mess. Another great feature, is that you are allowed to restart your expedition, if your first one fails (not getting 7 wins). A failure is losing 2 times in a row or losing the final match. Because of the semi-randomness, you can still get screwed by it. However, with the retry option it feels better to get another shot. You gain the rewards from the best expedition, which are also generous.

Dear @4RM3D, I always knew you are very honest and straight in sharing your opinions and you are more critical of the Game and game's state than many members, even though you are a moderator. Respect.

I am currently in another break from Gwent (actually, from all games due to some personal and professional commitment). When I will start playing games in March, I will definitely try LoR. Until now I never had any desire to try another CCG, but almost every Gwent streamer is splitting the time between Gwent and LoR. I played Mythgard in my first break from Gwent few months back and I really liked it too. It was the second ever card game I played and first ever to involve mana and gems etc.

Mythgard also has six factions (I believe LoR also has six faction), but there is no limitation on how many different faction card you can add in your deck. So, potentially, there is huge number of different strategy possible with mono decks (single colors), decks with two colors (6c2 = 15) and decks with three colors (6c3 = 20) and I had faced quite a few times meme decks which bring all 6 colors (and beating my focused decks). So, the game theoretically provides unlimited amount of strategy and I thought "wow, this game is so awesome and deep and it is never going to feel stale or boring".

Guess what? With in a month I started playing one deck became very very oppressive (Orange-Red) and I started facing that deck many many times. Of all the possible combination of decks, one particular deck got very prominent. I wanted to try somethings and it constantly got crushed with this combination. I started losing interest. A patch was released during that time I played and it did nothing to fix it. Even the pro players and streamers were kind of disappointed that OR was not handled properly and that it would continue to dominate for months. Then I thought if I am going to play a game with stale meta and only a few viable decks, then I would rather play Gwent and came back to Gwent :ROFLMAO: (it was the time MOO was released)

What I am trying to say is, even in LoR very soon someone will find a deck which is uber strong/broken/op and every single player is going to play that. And the viable decks will revolve around this deck severely limiting your options. I don't know anything about LoR (how many cards in decks? Is there a limitation for the number of legendary cards that you can add in your deck? etc) But if it doesn't happen and if LoR manages to balance the game better and keep a fresh healthy creative meta possible, then yes, it will be unstoppable as already all CCG experts are moving to LoR. If I get a feeling that LoR offers creativity and strategy without having many many binary interactions (like Gwent) and stale meta, I will definitely try that game. But if it is also limiting the deck options, then again, I will rather play Gwent. Let me see after March.

It's a good game, but somewhat I'm missing the same excitement I felt in the early Gwent days. Even in Magic the 'emotial highs' were somewhat greater. On the other hand LoR doesn't have lands so the lows aren't as low as in MtG and I haven't played Gwent for about half a year and certainly don't miss it (or I do miss it, but only the old one). So LoR will be my goto-CCG for the next few weeks or months, I guess. I'm definitely curious how the game will feel once my collection and the card pool in general gets bigger.

What I am trying to say is, even in LoR very soon someone will find a deck which is uber strong/broken/op and every single player is going to play that. And the viable decks will revolve around this deck severely limiting your options.

All card games suffer from this, even MtG. What's important is how the devs respond to this development and how the meta shifts as a result. LoR has only been out for a few weeks, meaning the meta still needs time to settle. The true quality of a card game is how long it can survive the test of time. I have been playing Gwent for over three years; since the start of closed beta. Let's see if LoR can manage to thrive for as long and not turn into the flustercuck that is Hearthstone.

MTGA above all card games in all ways (i mean how exactly card game should be)

LoR have crap mechanic with spells types, LoR have a big issues in balance and you will udnerstand it bypass platinum rank, art in LoR same as LoL childish im not asian so i dont like it as much as most community. LoR ofc will have a big playerbase due to LoL fans , and HS catroonish, LoR is easy to play , you dont need to calculate anything game will do it for you, i still pray for gwent reborn

[...]
It is propably my least favourite card game (apart maybe from the spamfest that Yugioh has become [which I would propably consider to be the most toxic card game right now]).

[...]
LoR have crap mechanic with spells types, LoR have a big issues in balance and you will udnerstand it bypass platinum rank, art in LoR same as LoL childish im not asian so i dont like it as much as most community. LoR ofc will have a big playerbase due to LoL fans , and HS catroonish, LoR is easy to play , you dont need to calculate anything game will do it for you, i still pray for gwent reborn
Yea and Magic is also better because of the land syste...
I just despise that land system designwise, it leads to unnecessarily unplayable games and turns the game (in my opinion, from an aesthetic perspective) into a horrible mess of a game.

Last edited:

Raunbjorn

Gwent is completely dead and buried for me, personally and this is the only game that comes close to beta Gwent in terms of my own excitement. The only thing which is pretty major, is the lack of flavor and I hate the cute factor however it's still better than the clunky action man figure that's going on in Gwent these days. So yeah, definitely an upgrade from HC Gwent. I'm happy that Gwent streamers are promoting the game too!

Considering how new it is I'm not going to complain about balance in LoR right now. Gwent has had bad balancing for years so it has no excuse. Hopefully LoR will actually put a lot of effort into keeping the game relatively balanced.

Two things I want to note about this game today.

1) This feels much more like an actual battle to me than Gwent does.

2) I find this game more dynamic and interesting. Tonight an opponent put me down to 2 health while he still had 20. It was not looking good but I wasn't going to give up. A big play turned the game and I came back and won. It felt awesome.

Last edited:
2) I find this game more dynamic and interesting. Tonight an opponent put me down to 2 health while he still had 20. It was not looking good but I wasn't going to give up. A big play turned the game and I came back and won. It felt awesome.

The low amount of cards that deal damage without counterplay make every game interesting till the end. You can usually manage even a low health pool and turn it into a win.

Lexor

Forum veteran
if we get a miracle and CDPR starts caring about their own game, even LoR will be no match for Gwent
"if"... I think that "if" is not possible in near future. Too many mistakes in public relations and in design. Too many weird bugs.

At this moment CDPR is treating Gwent as their testing ground for multiplayer games and nothing more.

It will be a very long period of time for CDPR to gain back my trust.

Top Bottom