E3 2020 & Gamescom: Third Demo Suggestion

+
I think the marketing has been fine, actually. They starved us for years before releasing that 2nd trailer back in 2018 and then managed to hit 16 million views on a 48 minute video on Youtube within a month, which is just phenomenal considering it totally outclassed RDR 2's promotional campaign at the time, which was the biggest release of that year. Bringing in Keanu Reeves to E3 was also a stroke genius.

They way I see it, we're not so much buying into the setting or tabletop game itself, even though that does form part of the interest. What's really generating most of the hype here is the brand power of CDPR. If it was any other company making this game, it just wouldn't be the same.

The gameplay video is at 18 mill as we speak. 18 mill is excellent number for game debut, you can easily add 5 to 10 mill when launch comes. I dont get the "bad marketting" bullshit this game gets.

I think the marketing has been fine, actually. They starved us for years before releasing that 2nd trailer back in 2018 and then managed to hit 16 million views on a 48 minute video on Youtube within a month, which is just phenomenal considering it totally outclassed RDR 2's promotional campaign at the time, which was the biggest release of that year. Bringing in Keanu Reeves to E3 was also a stroke genius.

They way I see it, we're not so much buying into the setting or tabletop game itself, even though that does form part of the interest. What's really generating most of the hype here is the brand power of CDPR. If it was any other company making this game, it just wouldn't be the same.

Perhaps clarification is in order. Knocking the marketing wasn't isolated to CP2077.

I suppose it depends on perspective as well. A product marketing team likely has a wildly different perspective on good marketing compared to a consumer of the product. For the former it likely boils down to whether promoting the product results in sales. The consumer is more concerned with knowing what they are buying. You cannot do so without information about said product.

That's fair. But traditionally these things are shown close to launch for the purpose of raising awareness/interest (I. E marketing). If you show your stuff now, you pretty much run the risk of having to repeat what you've already shown (the sweet spot is to show just enough to grab attention and leave players wanting for more).

I can't speak for others but generally the less I know about something, the more potentially enjoyable the moment of experiencing it is. Kinda like a movie. When i find something that interests me i usually look for review ratings, look at a few pictures, stuff like that that's not too deep in terms of content because i find it's immensely more enjoyable to discover and play around with than reading about it or watching it happen.

I'd agree with this to an extent. Specific explanations of how game play mechanics are going to work would be an exception. Most of those areas couldn't really be classified as spoilers if they were to be revealed well ahead of time.

A game play demo would be a good example of what you're speaking about here. Again, it has to come from somewhere. It's reasonable to employ an efficient approach and take a piece of content intended to be in the game and show it. The problem there is choosing the right content. In a way where it will not spoil the game narrative. Hiding information here is fine.

A character progression model is a very different animal. If I am interested in a game with character progression I want to know how it's intended to work. What type of system or systems governs how my character progresses? What are my options in the progression system? What do I give up for picking one route over another? If these areas are unfinished holding back details is understandable. Once they are finished I like to know about them. And again, by know about them I mean specific, highly detailed explanations.

You're welcome to disagree of course.

A character progression model is a very different animal. If I am interested in a game with character progression I want to know how it's intended to work. What type of system or systems governs how my character progresses? What are my options in the progression system? What do I give up for picking one route over another? If these areas are unfinished holding back details is understandable. Once they are finished I like to know about them. And again, by know about them I mean specific, highly detailed explanations.

Cant you wait for reviews? Two week after launch everything has been said. Game industry doesnt exactly reward you for pre-ordering. I play lots of games even after 1-2 year after launch myself, most of the time they are even better then.

Stuff like character progression might have worked like 10 year back, but honestly gamers have seen it all. The thing is to keep things fresh, like CDPR is doing, working with celebs, bring music and artists. ad-system sounds like innovation, put a twist on shooter combat etc. Yeah, cosplay and photo contets were cool too.

Last edited:
Cant you wait for reviews? Two week after launch everything has been said. Game industry doesnt exactly reward you for pre-ordering. I play lots of games even after 1-2 year after launch myself, most of the time they are even better then.

Yes, it's probably what will end up happening too. I don't typically pre-order anything, let alone games. It's not like the idea is to trash CDPR over any of this either. The way they provide information could be a lot worse. The main takeaway is it could be a lot better too.

Stuff like character progression might have worked like 10 year back, but honestly gamers have seen it all. The thing is to keep things fresh, like CDPR is doing, working with celebs, bring music and artists. ad-system sounds like innovation, put a twist on shooter combat etc. Yeah, cosplay and photo contets were cool too.

Seeing it all before isn't particularly helpful. It's a new game. I don't believe it's safe to assume what other games have done translates to CP2077. Admittedly, any problem here is probably a me problem. I'm not interested in the theater surrounding game promotion. Toss as many celebs out there front in center, big names, flashy promises, whatever. It's not going to convince me to buy a game. What would is providing enough information on it to make an informed decision.

Yes, it's probably what will end up happening too. I don't typically pre-order anything, let alone games. It's not like the idea is to trash CDPR over any of this either. The way they provide information could be a lot worse. The main takeaway is it could be a lot better too.

Give info is double edged sword, just like character progression, players know what they like and dislike so revealing your character progression might hurt your sales. I see this kind of behavior just increasing when game industry gets older. So companies gotta be ready. Lore/world is definitely Cyberpunk's strong points for example. Its all new for us players.

I dont know, maybe they could try Witcher 4 with old-school style, reveal everything, UI, character progression, combat, skills/abilities, minigames, activities, gear-system, crafting, inventory etc. To see if that works better for them.

Last edited:
Well you can always look about Cyberpunk lore/world setting on Cyberpunk wiki or to find rulebooks on internet if you talk about TT version, so if you interested you can get in to lore/world settinge easy, and not just about cyberpunk, any game that is based on some big brand like Pathfinder, D&D or Warhammer 40K/Fantasy you have access to tone of infos about Lore/world/characters/equipment............

But showing more deep character progression, skills, talents, would not be bad, never game suffer for showing things like that, more bad is if you say game is rpg, and you don't show any of that things and then when people buy it and find out game is more FPS or Action with whery little or no RPG elements, they just going to refund game and you lost a customers who now will always be wary about your products since you lie to them the first time.

But showing more deep character progression, skills, talents, would not be bad, never game suffer for showing things like that, more bad is if you say game is rpg, and you don't show any of that things and then when people buy it and find out game is more FPS or Action with whery little or no RPG elements, they just going to refund game and you lost a customers who now will always be wary about your products since you lie to them the first time.

Everything cost money to make, even triple a games gotta do sacrifices they cant do everything perfectly. Deep extensive character progression is expensive to make too, not to mention it has been done before, so there isnt that much marketting value left.

Last edited:
Give info is double edged sword, just like character progression, players know what they like and dislike so revealing your character progression might hurt your sales.

That right there is why I've never been particularly fond of marketing in general. The notion relevant information must be obfuscated or hidden because it could harm sales. The smoke and mirrors of the process, so to speak.

Everything cost money to make, even triple a games gotta do sacrifices they cant do everything perfectly. Deep extensive character progression is expensive to make too, not to mention it has been done before, so there isnt that much marketting value left.

I don't understand what you mean by there isn't much marketing value left. You don't have to look very far on this very forum to find posters visibly upset about various areas of this particular game. It could be argued some of the complaints are premature. The fact remains these complaints originate from the perspective these people have of the game. Based on the information they have seen thus far. Clarifying those areas further could go a long way toward changing those perspectives.

If the argument against those clarifications is, "Well, we might lose game sales if we clarify.", it says a thing or two. It doesn't say anything good either. It's effectively a way to trick people into buying the game. You know they will not like this aspect so just... don't tell them about it.

Once again, I'd emphasize I am not claiming this is the case. Refusing to elaborate on certain areas does leave the mind to wander though.

Sounds like everyone wants character information to make a min/max character similar to all other rpg games.
This is not that game.
Of course because of mechanics a min/max character is likely.
My understanding is that with all things cyberpunk you can mix and match skills for each situation. Guessing each encounter will have it's own form of best/worst attribute combination. Making it less likely to have 1 general combination for the best character.

I don't understand what you mean by there isn't much marketing value left. You don't have to look very far on this very forum to find posters visibly upset about various areas of this particular game. It could be argued some of the complaints are premature. The fact remains these complaints originate from the perspective these people have of the game. Based on the information they have seen thus far. Clarifying those areas further could go a long way toward changing those perspectives.

If the argument against those clarifications is, "Well, we might lose game sales if we clarify.", it says a thing or two. It doesn't say anything good either. It's effectively a way to trick people into buying the game. You know they will not like this aspect so just... don't tell them about it.

Once again, I'd emphasize I am not claiming this is the case. Refusing to elaborate on certain areas does leave the mind to wander though.

Im not gonna argue more, ultimately its CDRPs call, what they want to reveal and what not. It takes just 1-2 days after launch and first reviews are out and everything is revealed, sure not all reviewers are fully trustworthy.

it might be good idea to keep Wticher series as old-school and try different approach with Cyberpunk series. 10 year from now, they know what works best, thats the great thing when you've two series instead of one, you can try different stuff. Witcher 4 is no-brainer success in my book, if its "bigger, better, next-gen" Witcher, sure it brings tons of money.

Last edited:
Sounds like everyone wants character information to make a min/max character similar to all other rpg games.

I just want to know how the skills and stats work more specifically than vague mentions that something goes on there. Are they just windowdressing and a marketing trick so the game can be called an RPG (people like games that are called RPG's, but they don't like games that play like RPG's), as is usual in this day and age, or do they actually do something for the gameplay.

it might be good idea to keep Wticher series as old-school and try different approach with Cyberpunk series. 10 year from now, they know what works best

What is so different about Cyberpunk 2077 approach??? If not talking about RPG mechanic is a new marketing for RPG games, then they doing new things then, they keep saying Cyberpunk 2077 is RPG, from 48min demo and that deep dive game look more like FPS with some hints of light RPG elements here and there, look all other CRPG all had several videos of talking about RPG mechanic skills, talents, stats, weapons...... not even one game did suffer in sale or popularity becouse of that.
10 years from now lol by that time they will change their song so much people will wonder where is old CDPR.

People praise The Witcher games to much and already talk how Cyberpunk will be next game of decade, Witcher was good and fun game but nothing so special, other games had better alchemy system or combat system, Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be ok game but nothing really new or what we didn't see so far.

And yes story in Witcher was good, but even that story has some highs and downs.
Post automatically merged:

I can't talk for all the people, i personally hate concept of Min/Max in RPG, i want to know more about skills, how they work what sinergy they have with each other with my attributes, how my attributes affect my characters in game events in dialogues and so on.

What is so different about Cyberpunk 2077 approach??? If not talking about RPG mechanic is a new marketing for RPG games, then they doing new things then, they keep saying Cyberpunk 2077 is RPG, from 48min demo and that deep dive game look more like FPS with some hints of light RPG elements here and there, look all other CRPG all had several videos of talking about RPG mechanic skills, talents, stats, weapons...... not even one game did suffer in sale or popularity becouse of that.
10 years from now lol by that time they will change their song so much people will wonder where is old CDPR.

People praise The Witcher games to much and already talk how Cyberpunk will be next game of decade, Witcher was good and fun game but nothing so special, other games had better alchemy system or combat system, Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be ok game but nothing really new or what we didn't see so far.

Well i didnt follow Wtcher 3 hype so I cant say. But did they use Celebs? Music Artists? Cosplay Contest? Photo Contest? Did they have innovative stuff iike ad-system or interactive cutscenes? Im pretty sure they did the basic stuff, well, they had sex-scenes, that was defiinitely out of the box thinking, not many game do them. I would imagine they did pretty basic stuff with Witcher 3, trailer, show combat, show crafting, tell a bit of the story, tell about skills and abilities, gameplay of course, and some screenshots from the world etc.

Now is excellent time to try new stuff, when Wticher 4 is 100% success. Triple A Fantasy Game with over decade history cant fail in game industry, its not just possible, if it happens we can expect many companies starting to fall, Final Fantasy series, Dragon Age, Elder Scroll, Assassin Creed etc. Yeah if Fantasy faiils, many gaming companies go with it.

Last edited:
Well i didnt follow Wtcher 3 hype so I cant say. But did they use Celebs? Music Artists? Cosplay Contest? Photo Contest? Did they have innovative stuff iike ad-system or interactive cutscenes? Im pretty sure they did the basic stuff, well, they had sex-scenes, that was defiinitely out of the box thinking, not many game do them. I would imagine they did pretty basic stuff with Witcher 3, trailer, show combat, show crafting, tell a bit of the story, tell about skills and abilities, gameplay of course, and some screenshots from the world etc.

Now is excellent time to try new stuff, when Wticher 4 is 100% success. Triple A Fantasy Game with over decade history cant fail in game industry, its not just possible, if it happens we can expect many companies starting to fall, Final Fantasy series, Dragon Age, Elder Scroll, Assassin Creed etc. Yeah if Fantasy faiils, many gaming companies go with it.

Celebrity are nothing great in games, they probably cost more money then good they bring to the game, they said that Keanu Reeves didn't charge them that much, but i am sure that is probably some big sume of money, also now every time i see Johnny Silverhand i will not see that character but i will see Keanu Reeves.

Cosplay contest, cosplay is expensive hobby if you plan to do any cosplay you need a lot of money to build your costumes, even more if you plan to compete on some events and so, also many still connect cosplays to weeb and don't look at that like some great thing.

Photo contest, ok nice but what just photos of cities, Interactive Cutscenes that can be bad and good, if i need to move my camera left and right and play find hidden object to get new dialogue options then, also if there are quick time events that to will be stupid and boring.

How Witcher 4 is 100% success????? based on what? Geralt story is done, you save the world, you save the Ciri, you get wife you want(more or less) what more you need? now we get Witcher animated show, maybe it will be better then Tv show they did, but who knows.

Witcher 4 need to change so much and improve so much from original Witcher games, it also need to have new interesting characters and story, first games was based around book series, but that story ended and there is no real reason to make prequel game, or to make new game with characters you already played to death.

Celebrity are nothing great in games, they probably cost more money then good they bring to the game, they said that Keanu Reeves didn't charge them that much, but i am sure that is probably some big sume of money, also now every time i see Johnny Silverhand i will not see that character but i will see Keanu Reeves.

Cosplay contest, cosplay is expensive hobby if you plan to do any cosplay you need a lot of money to build your costumes, even more if you plan to compete on some events and so, also many still connect cosplays to weeb and don't look at that like some great thing.

Photo contest, ok nice but what just photos of cities, Interactive Cutscenes that can be bad and good, if i need to move my camera left and right and play find hidden object to get new dialogue options then, also if there are quick time events that to will be stupid and boring.

How Witcher 4 is 100% success????? based on what? Geralt story is done, you save the world, you save the Ciri, you get wife you want(more or less) what more you need? now we get Witcher animated show, maybe it will be better then Tv show they did, but who knows.

Witcher 4 need to change so much and improve so much from original Witcher games, it also need to have new interesting characters and story, first games was based around book series, but that story ended and there is no real reason to make prequel game, or to make new game with characters you already played to death.

Argh, I dont know where to start with you. Btw, why people keep bringing up Celebs are expensive, this game is expected to sell 22 mill units, 22 mill guy is gonna see Keanu's face, if anything Celebs would need to pay for companies. Celebs like Keanu are absolutely nothing without companies like CDPR, absolutely nothing, sure they can start branding themselves how awesome they are but I doubt, it take them far.

Last edited:
Honestly I would like to see new parts of the city and a bit more insight on how street cred and social skills (if they are a thing, we did not see that much on the last skill tree we were shown) work in action. We already saw wehicles and combat, stealth and netrunning bits but this is also important.

Witcher 4 is gonna be great, mark my words. I see the biggest problem is to find cool charracters, stories, cool fantasy stuff basially, gamers know already the "fantasy cliches". Ive suggested to them they should copy ideas from other Fantasy books, like Dragonlance. Or why not to hire Hickman to write the story/quests all together. Hickman or Weis no doubt know the fantasy beyond the cliches to bring something new.

Last edited:
this game is expected to sell 22 mill units, 22 mill guy is gonna see Keanu's face, if anything Celebs would need to pay for companies. Celebs like Keanu are absolutely nothing without companies like CDPR, absolutely nothing,

Expected, not certain, where did you get even that number ? and billions of people already see Keanu Reeves face in all the movies he was, He is well known actor he also have his own motor company, he don't need CDPR in any shape or form to be known.

More people will know about him from some of his movies like Matrix, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Point Break, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, Bram Stoker's Dracula, John Wick......... than from one video game.

Expected, not certain, where did you get even that number ? and billions of people already see Keanu Reeves face in all the movies he was, He is well known actor he also have his own motor company, he don't need CDPR in any shape or form to be known.

More people will know about him from some of his movies like Matrix, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Point Break, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, Bram Stoker's Dracula, John Wick......... than from one video game.

From 19 to 22 mill is what internet is throwing around. Just google "Cyberpunk 2077 analyst sales" etc. Witcher 3 has sold 20 mill copies, so its realistic number for Cyberpunk.

Top Bottom