Why was Epidemic changed?

+
I agree that the card would have been way better when there were way more Portal shenanigans. Still there are quite a few strong 4p engines, but usually you destroy them with a faction specific card. Like everything else since HC - the card lacks taste, but can still be used as a viable counter. We all know, though, what the card can do if you can line up units. Do you think it can see more use now, than what it was seeing just a few days ago? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Pretty ironic that Crow's eye, that was completely useless for over a year, became viable (still not very good, but can be useful) while at the same time epidemic takes that 'useless' spot - the only situations i can see it being played is on a no-unit control deck or if the enemy has a highly boosted or shield/armored 4p unit, otherwise a simple thunder is much better and wont brick if your opponent doesnt play a 4p unit.

You know, I'm not actually mad about this one. It went down to 5p and it can be used against something that's instantly shielded or boosted beyond 5 like tridam, or swarmy, like fledglings. Of course, I haven't really been using epidemic in any of my decks, because normally I'd be killing mostly my units, so...

Perhaps a better change for Epedemic was to make it gold. Once it was one of the best triggers for the lizard warrior monster faction dude whoms name I forgot. But that deck has been unable to create a few updates back.

The flavour of the change is a bit off. Don't know if CDPR has been following the news lately, but killing a unit is not an epidemic. Some more flavorful changes could have been to make it a row effect or damage odd/even power units.

I'm missing the old effect big time in spelatel. It is like a win-condition has been removed. It would've been good vs Deadeyes, crows or rats.

Well, it was able to do too much for a bronze (from their perspective [at the very least according to what they said in the stream]).
So with Crow's Eye being "playable" there needs to be a new contender for most useless card in the game and this card easily takes it.
Just let it sink in that you can just add Alzur's Thunder instead.

Gold, bronze ... what does it matter? Is not cheap, it costs 9 provisions.

They could at least recreate it as a gold card in the next expansion.

It is now at 5 provisons.
However they actually managed in making the worst card in the history of Gwent.

(i) 0 points, unless the opponent has a 4 provision unit on board
(ii) Propably as awful as a bricked Roach, Impera Brigade etc in Round 3
(iii) Unlike the previous Crow's Eye not even proactive, but purely reactive
(iv) It can only trade up against a heavily buffed Tridam Infantry or Noonwraith and is neutral or trades down against every other 4 provision unit in the game. Especially against every deploy unit in existence.
(v) It is a 5 provision card that is only working against cards with 1 less provision and almost always bad against them.
(vi) With the existence of Alzur's Thunder the only advantage of the new epidemic is that it is propably the best card in the history of Gwent for people which want to play cards that basically shout "I hate myself".

Yea Epidemic actually manages in being far, far more useless than Crow's Eye ever was.

Payus

Forum regular
I've tried it. It's not thaaaat bad. It is bad, but can be used vs:

-Kaedweni cavalry (you can kill it even with it's shield or once it's boosted)
-Heymaey Protector (great value right there as this guys get huge)
-The obvious Tridam infantry which loves boosts and vitality/armor/shield
-Elven scout (can be ok value since he boosts by 2 so normally you'd kill him at 6-8)
-Sea jackal (can be amazing value there)
-Eternal fire priest
- Iron falcon Infantry (good value yet again since this unit always has armor if you need to kill it)
-Magne Division, good trade
-Master of disguise
-Garkain
-Fence
-Street urchins(same as sea jackal)
-Redanian knight Another good trade since it has armor and n effect on armor loss.
-Terrorcrew plunderer (when boosted this represents a 6 str + 1 armor trade)

Thats all the ones I can think of plus any boosted 4p engine.

The flavour of the change is a bit off. Don't know if CDPR has been following the news lately, but killing a unit is not an epidemic. Some more flavorful changes could have been to make it a row effect or damage odd/even power units.
The only explanation for what is currently going on with Gwent in general is that the devs have no clue. Epidemic now only kills one unit. Not just bland and dumbed down, it is also plain stupid for an "epidemic". Crow's Eye description says: "A certain famous pirate once so loved this intoxicating herb..." What does the intoxicating Crow's Eye do now? It purifies. :giveup:

The real problematic stuff is left alone. I think the devs are looking too much at their automatically collected statistics and incorrectly interpreting these because they don't play and understand their own game enough. And then the amount of bugs not fixed or newly introduced with each patch, that's not the CDPR quality I'm used to.

Last edited:

The difference is that you can have 2 of them and not just one.

Sure, not cheap, but cheaper than Scorch 13p. Adding some other cards to the mix, you're stuck playing "Scorch" decks even with the limitation of 13 units per deck. It's no longer really a viable option, and changing Epidemic certainly helps in getting rid of these anti-play decks. I think we have quite enough with the trap decks.

Only monsters now have the ridiculous predatory dive scorch still. Fix that and things are pretty well in regards to Scorch in the game. You could even bring back Epidemic to "old style", but make it a gold card.

8 provision gold, destroy the lowest unit(s) on the board.

Adding some other cards to the mix, you're stuck playing "Scorch" decks even with the limitation of 13 units per deck. It's no longer really a viable option, and changing Epidemic certainly helps in getting rid of these anti-play decks.
13 units anti-play decks? More than half of the deck is units played in the battleground.
Luckily that style of play is still playable. The dwarf that is powered by the special cards you have already played is a sign that this type of deck will still exist.

The best thing about epidemic as it was, is that you could deal with players who abuse scenarios.

Revert this change and make this card a Gold card with 8 provisions instead of 9.

Do the same thing with Adrenaline Rush. Gold card with the same old ability. Both cards suck now. We are sick of damaging / boosting spells.

Revert this change and make this card a Gold card with 8 provisions instead of 9.

Do the same thing with Adrenaline Rush. Gold card with the same old ability. Both cards suck now. We are sick of damaging / boosting spells.
Adrenaline Rush is actually not bad in arachas swarm, the card is an easy 9 for 5 and quickly turns dominance on.
Epidemic on the other hand is now the worst card in the history of the game.

Top Bottom