What API will Cyberpunk use?

+
I'm curious to know as I'm gonna be upgrading my graphics card soon, and I don't know which one to get between AMD and Nvidia. I can get an RX 5700, or an RTX 2060 Super, but I want to know which API Cyberpunk will use so I can get the most out of my card.

If Cyberpunk uses DirectX 12 or Vulkan, then I'll get the AMD card because they're known to perform better with those APIs.

If it's DirectX 11, which I'm pretty sure it is, then I'm gonna have to go with the RTX 2060 Super.

Still, can we get confirmation from a Red on this? I know it might not matter much to some of you folks but us nerds like to know these types of things.

On 17th of January this question was answered. And the answer was that it is still to early to talk about such details.

Guest 4310777

DX12 performance is all over the place, it doesn't always advantage AMD. I think once the next gen consoles hit, we will see more engines properly optimized for DX12. Another thing to consider is raytracing, which will also be a key feature of next gen (including CP2077). Currently, no hardware is adequately optimized for this technology (2### series is overpriced and underpowered). Running PS5/SCARLETT era games on a PC at MAX, HD, 60FPS, even without raytracing will require serious horsepower.

This is a transition year, I think it's a terrible time to buy. I'm holding out for 3### series, which should have significantly better optimization for the kinds of technology we'll be seeing shortly. AMD has been talking up their new cards too.

I'm curious to know as I'm gonna be upgrading my graphics card soon, and I don't know which one to get between AMD and Nvidia.

I would suggest not to base your decision just on the API factor or any other technology that's going to be implemented in Cyberpunk.

There is always a possibility that the intended technologies, to be used in the game, to get changed afterwards. For instance, Tomb Raider (2013) initially favoured Nvidia's features, but plans changed and the devs switched to AMD and used their own features. Most notably the TressFx which is a feature that caused, when enabled, performance issues for Nvidia users.

Another recent one, Rainbow Six Siege is going to get Vulkan support alongside DirectX 11, so those who possibly did not enjoy the full benefits of their AMD card are going to soon. Which leads us to another point which is the driver support and optimizations. As long as the drivers and the implemented technologies are properly utilized, then you will get the most out of your card, regardless of the brand.

So I suggest to look for the best offer based on the price/performance ratio for your future, if you really need it, upgrade. Be it Nvidia, AMD or even, depending on when you plan to upgrade, the upcoming Intel cards. Study your options well and pick the gpu that fits your overall gaming preferences.

If you want a less vague answer, I might be able to hand you a few guidelines that I myself am going with. I build a new computer a few weeks ago, but I RMA'd the GPU (an 5700 XT) since I didn't want to chance the coil whine I had with it. CP77 also got delayed, so I might as well pick another card, if the manufacturer allows a refund.

Here's my thinking:

Don't base your decision on CP77. Instead, base your decision on what the PS5 and XBOXSOX are going to do. CP77 falls in between the old and new generation, but it'll be much handier if you pick a card that stays ahead of the new generation.

Vague, far too unsubstantiated rumor has it that the PS5 will have the equivalent of the 5700 XT. However, the console version will come with in-built Ray Tracing.

A new, more powerful "Big" NAVI GPU WITH ray tracing will be released in just a few months by AMD. NVIDIA is also going to release "Ampere" soon.

My recommendation? Ignore CP77, and wait for Big NAVI and Ampere, then pick a high performance/price card from that line up that has raytracing. I can almost GUARANTEE that it'll be able to play CP77 AND every other game released in the next four years.
Even better, go for AMD. Since AMD is creating the Hardware for Sony and Microsoft, you'll be playing on the architecture that most developers will be trying to squeeze all the performance they can out of. I'm not saying a desktop CPU/GPU is comparable to the API, but it's no secret that the consoles are acting more and more like desktops.

Either way, it's likely that the Specs of PS5 and XBOXSOX / Big Navi and Ampere are going to be revealed before CP77 will be released, so you have all the encouragement in the world to wait a while if your current rig is still good.

Do mind though, that prices for hardware are going to rise most likely. The new consoles, coupled with manufacturing problems and delays caused by the coronavirus, are going to make supply tight. It's why I got all my other shopping done a month ago.

Still, all I'm short is the GPU, so I don't mind twiddling my thumbs for now.

Skipper's advice is solid too: "Don't worry about it". However, if you're committed to building by four-year plan, you might want to give my strategy a shot.

Last edited:
If you want a less vague answer, I might be able to hand you a few guidelines that I myself am going with. I build a new computer a few weeks ago, but I RMA'd the GPU (an 5700 XT) since I didn't want to chance the coil whine I had with it. CP77 also got delayed, so I might as well pick another card, if the manufacturer allows a refund.

Here's my thinking:

Don't base your decision on CP77. Instead, base your decision on what the PS5 and XBOXSOX are going to do. CP77 falls in between the old and new generation, but it'll be much handier if you pick a card that stays ahead of the new generation.

Vague, far too unsubstantiated rumor has it that the PS5 will have the equivalent of the 5700 XT. However, the console version will come with in-built Ray Tracing.

A new, more powerful "Big" NAVI GPU WITH ray tracing will be released in just a few months by AMD. NVIDIA is also going to release "Ampere" soon.

My recommendation? Ignore CP77, and wait for Big NAVI and Ampere, then pick a high performance/price card from that line up that has raytracing. I can almost GUARANTEE that it'll be able to play CP77 AND every other game released in the next four years.
Even better, go for AMD. Since AMD is creating the Hardware for Sony and Microsoft, you'll be playing on the architecture that most developers will be trying to squeeze all the performance they can out of. I'm not saying a desktop CPU/GPU is comparable to the API, but it's no secret that the consoles are acting more and more like desktops.

Either way, it's likely that the Specs of PS5 and XBOXSOX / Big Navi and Ampere are going to be revealed before CP77 will be released, so you have all the encouragement in the world to wait a while if your current rig is still good.

Do mind though, that prices for hardware are going to rise most likely. The new consoles, coupled with manufacturing problems and delays caused by the coronavirus, are going to make supply tight. It's why I got all my other shopping done a month ago.

Still, all I'm short is the GPU, so I don't mind twiddling my thumbs for now.

Skipper's advice is solid too: "Don't worry about it". However, if you're committed to building by four-year plan, you might want to give my strategy a shot.
Very good advice. Though I am curious; 'Big Navi' is just going to be an upgraded/better version of the 5700 XT but it's still gonna have the same RDNA architecture, right? Because their 5000 series has only been out for half a year now and I don't think their gonna release a completely new line-up of GPUs.
Post automatically merged:

My hope is Vulkan, or at least both Vulkan and DX12.

Vulkan support is growing in the PC gaming industry. RDR2's PC launch supported it, Rainbow Six Siege now supports it.

We'll certainly see, but I hope it's Vulkan. Vulkan is building in standardized support for real time ray tracing, too, which is very cool: https://www.pcgamer.com/real-time-ray-tracing-could-get-a-boost-from-standardized-support-in-vulkan/

EDIT: Wait, why would it use DX11? That makes no sense.

I think because TW3 used DX11 and CD Projekt Red is familiar and has experience with the API. Additionally, DirectX 11 is easier to code with than DX 12 and Vulkan.

EDIT: Wait, why would it use DX11? That makes no sense.
Because DX12 and Vulkan are quite hard to work with - and that's likely why performance is often all over the place when those APIs are used.

Found this rant by someone who actually has to use those APIs: https://asawicki.info/news_1701_thoughts_on_graphics_apis_and_libraries.html

The design of those APIs seem to be less than perfect. You can even argue that those APIs don't even make sense since what they do is at odds with how PCs work - high level abstraction is necessary to support a huge variety of hardware.

Top Bottom