What is the fun in playing Nilfgaard?

+
Well, then tell me how you avoid the abuse of that card. Look at this picture and tell me. The opponent repeated the ability of that card as 10 times and he deteriorated my deck of cards in the first round. It is clear that this card is abusive from every point of view, because if you play with the monsters deck you cannot beat him.

In classic mode this does not happen, but it is impossible in seasonal mode.

All the players that I have seen in the game use the same strategy, it is obvious that restoring the leader's ability at every moment gives you an exaggerated advantage over the opponent, the advantage is too much.

game 1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, then tell me how you avoid the abuse of that card. Look at this picture and tell me. The opponent repeated the ability of that card as 10 times and he deteriorated my deck of cards in the first round. It is clear that this card is abusive from every point of view, because if you play with the monsters deck you cannot beat him.

All the players that I have seen in the game use the same strategy, it is obvious that restoring the leader's ability at every moment gives you an exaggerated advantage over the opponent, the advantage is too much.

View attachment 11025638
If I see Strategic Withdrawal ability in Seasonal I smash my Snowman and forfeit... and I hope my Opponent had not enough time tó smash his Snowman.

Guest 4368268

If I see Strategic Withdrawal ability in Seasonal I smash my Snowman and forfeit... and I hope my Opponent had not enough time tó smash his Snowman.
Same, I've had to forfeit quite a few games because of it. Ironically that could end up getting *you* banned though lol. Unless they only care about dozens of forfeits when it's in ranked.

Same, I've had to forfeit quite a few games because of it. Ironically that could end up getting *you* banned though lol. Unless they only care about dozens of forfeits when it's in ranked.
I only forfeit against this broken deck. If I see that I'm loosing I pass. If we will be banned for this, it will be a shame. I don't have 30 minutes for a loosing game. They created this sh*t, i don't wanna be punished for their creation.

View attachment 11025638

Imho it is shocking they (Cdpr) haven't either adressed nor acknowledged this flagrant issue.

Its almost like seasonal mode isn't supposed to be balanced, because ranked is balanced and its really there for making meme and OP decks that play with the new mechanics. You don't like the seasonal? wait until January. No one is forcing you to play

Its almost like seasonal mode isn't supposed to be balanced, because ranked is balanced and its really there for making meme and OP decks that play with the new mechanics. You don't like the seasonal? wait until January. No one is forcing you to play

I do like the seasonal mode, but the Damien stuff is unplayable garbage. I love to face any other deck and try many different amazing decks. The mode itself is great, the abuse of a single boring, roping, broken Op mechanic is not.
But hey it's a matter of forfeiting in advance. Still a minor waste of mine and my oponent's time.

You can't balance cards on seasonal modes. It's like Arena, some things are not supposed to happen. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes, like in this instance, it's annoying. But it's still only an optional mode that will stay only one month.

PS: nice profile pic (y)

I'm afraid this is the last month for Damien.
Developers will kill this card just to be sure the same thing will not happen in other modes in the future.

Guest 4368268

I'm afraid this is the last month for Damien.
Developers will kill this card just to be sure the same thing will not happen in other modes in the future.
In the current format of defenders and leader 'charges' Damien just gets controversial especially as people hate enslave. It's a shame because old Cahir was strong but required the leader to be in the graveyard (making usage in different rounds more plausible)

For Damien to be considered both good and healthy I suppose it should work just as Cahir did. Which would mean they'd have to rework Movran and Ardal abilities and Calveit and Usurper could just stay as they are (but Calveit ofc. would also have to be played as a unit card)

Leaders not being used in a seperate turn as a single-use has been at the front of limiting design space and ruining metas (Dijkstra, Detlaff, Francesca, Harald, Woodland, Gernichora, Queen Calanthe, Eithne and others)

They haven't done much about the gameplay for a long time now other than introducing new cards, but reworking leaders would be a great step in improving gameplay imo and it would save cool cards like Damien from the trash can. Not to mention it would make Arena less trash. It would make Gwent less thronebreaker and more of a genuine turn based multiplayer game.

I don't understand why do you play the Nilfguard faction. I saw some other threads of someone who said they immediately quit the game and don't GG when playing against Nilfguard. For me it's also the most cheesy faction. But i'm still curious what is the fun in it?

See end comment in my thread below. Anyway, I started here playing Mon first, I think. I had success as a noob here. Then wins became harder to come by. So I started playing Nor. Was going to make that my faction. Same deal as Mon followed. Wins became harder to come by. Had more success playing Nil. If the other decks didn't have such BS OP cards it would be a good deck. I'm starting to wonder what the fun in playing Nil is myself. OP decks like Sco and some Mon decks are just really mysterious as to how they work. The text isn't informative, so you have no idea how to get the OP effects that the players smashing you in games are getting. E.g. "Harmony".

I think Nilfgaard has become a faction with a strong identity and with many playstyles and options. It might be problematic that it hurts monsters, but not silly Skellige decks.
Perhaps it just means that Nilfgaard is now as strong a faction as Skellige is, and people think this is problematic for some reason (they play monsters or ST?).

I've had alot of fun playing a "Emhyr Witcher deck" and an "Emhyr Milling deck" in addition to the more ordinary decks that can be made from Nilfgaard.

As the game is now, Nilfgaard is the most interesting and advanced faction.

I think Nilfgaard has become a faction with a strong identity and with many playstyles and options. It might be problematic that it hurts monsters, but not silly Skellige decks.
Perhaps it just means that Nilfgaard is now as strong a faction as Skellige is, and people think this is problematic for some reason (they play monsters or ST?).

I've had alot of fun playing a "Emhyr Witcher deck" and an "Emhyr Milling deck" in addition to the more ordinary decks that can be made from Nilfgaard.

As the game is now, Nilfgaard is the most interesting and advanced faction.
Nilfgaard is simply the easiest deck to play, after Mystic Echo. It is clear that when you play it, you don't use witchers or milling deck much. Because if you did, you would know that they are not even barely competitive in the current state of things. And since people don't see much fun in losing, that's why we see Enslave all the time (and rarely couple other abilities but almost never with witchers or milling, which I would love to be levelled up).

Mill isn't bad at all if you draw Operator of Royal Decree or Menno Coehoorn in your starterhand, but usually you don't draw those and then it sucks. :D

Nilfgaard is simply the easiest deck to play, after Mystic Echo. It is clear that when you play it, you don't use witchers or milling deck much. Because if you did, you would know that they are not even barely competitive in the current state of things. And since people don't see much fun in losing, that's why we see Enslave all the time (and rarely couple other abilities but almost never with witchers or milling, which I would love to be levelled up).

I wouldn't say that Nil is the easiest deck to play. It's probably about as easy as Nor but I switched to Nil after my Mon and then my Nor decks got smacked all the time. Personally, I find Sco hard to get my head around, with Harmony and Syn and Ske aren't exactly intuitive either. If the Training mode allowed you to choose the AI's deck, I might be willing to practice with these more mysterious decks.

Well, those are just fun gimmick decks. Maybe not competitive, but still had a high win rate (witchers) at somewhat high ranks. But like I said, mostly for fun, and they still work and still have a very high win rate, although I'm at the locked playstation version playing casual at the moment. Not much changed in regards to those decks really.

Milling deck is not exactly what I would bring to a high rank match, no. But some other Nilfgaard decks are, and for me they are more advanced than anything I play or see played from other factions.
Post automatically merged:

Mill isn't bad at all if you draw Operator of Royal Decree or Menno Coehoorn in your starterhand, but usually you don't draw those and then it sucks. :D

Milling is fun, but I'm on frozen playstation version currently, and don't remember how it did at higher ranks. But I created it when I was at rank 5 or thereabouts, and I only played ranked matches, so it must have worked somewhat even in competitive play, lest I would not remember having used it at all.

It was mainly a gimmick thing, to do something else than my usual Nilfgaard decks anyways. Same with the Witcher deck. Anyways, they were some of the most fun decks I've played.

Milling is super fun. Problem is, the cards you have to put in it are rather weak. Usually, when the opponent realises that he/she plays against milling, they throw everything they have to win round 1 and 2, and milling deck simply does not have enough meat and power to manage.

Milling is super fun. Problem is, the cards you have to put in it are rather weak. Usually, when the opponent realises that he/she plays against milling, they throw everything they have to win round 1 and 2, and milling deck simply does not have enough meat and power to manage.

Well, I heard milling was removed in "homecoming", before that it was a real thing. I only started playing the game after homecoming, so I don't really know. But yeah, you are right, milling is not really a thing anymore. It takes quite a bit of luck and it's difficult to pull off consistently and in a way that profits you well. As you say, the cards are to weak and too few for that. But it sure it fun.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Milling is actually better now than in early HC... Well, not exactly, because the same strategy could have been used back then, but no one (or most mill players) didnt figure it out until recently.
Note: also, im not saying mill is good, i think its quite terrible, but i respect the players who use it, going for something weird

Before, the mill decks relied on Stregobor and Isbel, but they were prone to shut down. Now they rely on Operator-Viper witcher, to play 6-7 viper witchers on a match instead of 2, the only way to stop this is to transform or banish the viper witcher on your side.

Before, most mill decks even failed to mill me to 0, but the last 3 i faced actually succedeed in doing this in R2. However, 2 of them had lost so much CA on R1 and used most of their finishers, that i still managed to win R3.

Milling is actually better now than in early HC... Well, not exactly, because the same strategy could have been used back then, but no one (or most mill players) didnt figure it out until recently.
Note: also, im not saying mill is good, i think its quite terrible, but i respect the players who use it, going for something weird

Before, the mill decks relied on Stregobor and Isbel, but they were prone to shut down. Now they rely on Operator-Viper witcher, to play 6-7 viper witchers on a match instead of 2, the only way to stop this is to transform or banish the viper witcher on your side.

Before, most mill decks even failed to mill me to 0, but the last 3 i faced actually succedeed in doing this in R2. However, 2 of them had lost so much CA on R1 and used most of their finishers, that i still managed to win R3.

Actually I'm trying a more "overall" deck concept instead of making it a one trick pony. Tempo and removal I guess, and some unusual round flexibility. I guess for me the ultimate goal is not always to mill to zero, but more shock and awe, and destroying the enemy tactic.

If I end up in a situation where I draw 3 cards last round and they draw none, that's a good bonus, but more often it's realistic for me to be able to play and replay Vilgefortz and/or Tibor in the third round without the consequence of drawing any enemy cards.

I went for the strategic withdrawal and Damien kind of approach. Not sure I could afford operator and informant in there. Very slow play.

Top Bottom