The General Videogame Thread

+
I could be remembering it wrong as it's been quite a while since I played Wasteland 2, but wasn't there something like that in there? More focused shots that took more ap to make? :think:.

I know it did the Fallout thing of being able to to use more or fewer action points for an attack based on the weapon's fire modes. It didn't allow for spending additional AP to steady aim, or gaining a bonus if prone, etc., ala JA2 or XCOM. (It was limited to the weapon, not the character or the situation, is what I mean.)

...similiarities to Fallout Tactics than Fallout or Fallout 2...

Fair assessment, I'd say. FO Tactics was a decent enough romp when I finally stopped trying to play it in real-time. I'd say the role-playing was even less than in W2, but the combat felt much more versatile. Interesting maps and situations. (Heh...I still remember the first Vault you raid. The defenses were all down...unless the player gets curious and pushes a button that turns them all on. I laughed. Then got cut in half by two laser turrets.)

I know it did the Fallout thing of being able to to use more or fewer action points for an attack based on the weapon's fire modes. It didn't allow for spending additional AP to steady aim, or gaining a bonus if prone, etc., ala JA2 or XCOM. (It was limited to the weapon, not the character or the situation, is what I mean.)

Seems I was remembering it wrong, then.

I still liked what was there. W3 is coming in... May, I belive. Not a lot about it so far but what was shown looked pretty good. I'll most likely give it a go.

Seems I was remembering it wrong, then.

I still liked what was there. W3 is coming in... May, I belive. Not a lot about it so far but what was shown looked pretty good. I'll most likely give it a go.

I just watched a gameplay video of the W2 Director's Cut version. It seems they added at least a basic cover system. Weapons do cycle through their firing modes like I remember, but the combat overall felt a bit more "decisive". (Didn't seem like you had to shoot an unarmored bandit 3-4 times with a shotgun at point-blank range to kill them.) Maybe the versions are just that different...not sure.

Personally, I hope W3 can accomplish more of what made FO1&2 so good. Maybe get a little of the old tactical gameplay to be more front-and-center, since it seems to be party-based, once again.

I'd say the role-playing was even less than in W2, but the combat felt much more versatile.

Tactics is indeed much more of what that other guy described as a ”tactical combat game with some RPG flair”.

The thing with these games is that the more you invest in combat systems versatility, the heavier the combat gets, and upon surpassing a certain threshold it starts to overpower the rest of the features. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, if combat is fun, but it’s one of those reasons why I don’t call FOT or JA2 (for example) RPG’s inspite that their core mechanics work pretty much like they would in a proper RPG, and that some people do (call them that). They are just too heavily invested in providing a combat simulation(!) than anything else.

WL2 is grindy, but it still has those other things going on that provide and support roleplaying, and it doesn’t go overboard with its combat feature (e.g. combat is mechanically fairly simplistic at the end of the day).

Another cyberpunk game from Poland

It's a parkour game with enemies to slash. There is too little "actual" Cyberpunk in the game. Or to put it differently, you can remove the Cyberpunk from the game and it would change nothing. BTW, the instant respawn makes death feel unimportant and, incidentally, makes it feel even more like parkour. It's not a bad thing, if you like that sort of game, though. However, it's not the Cyberpunk I am looking for.

@gregski It looks pretty fun and stylish. Speaking of Hard Reset, FWH have been silent a long time. I'm really curious about their next game. I know they had joined a publisher and greatly expanded their team. Reikon are also making a Cyberpunk shooter.

Ghostrunner appears to be an entertaining game, the running and dodging look fun and fairly challenging, and it's got some cool aesthetics. However, so far it hasn't grabbed my full attention, something's missing with it. Still, I'll keep my eye on it.

I almost bought Ghostrunner but went for Senua Hellblade instead. Maybe I buy it at Steam's Summer sales though, but then again Bethesdas Ghostwire looks much better.

Speaking of Seanu, it was nice, hopefully do they something fun like Charles Manson for sequel etc.

Last edited:
Bulletstorm was such a great game. Low budget, but lots of fun.

If this is as fun as bulletstorm, I'll be very happy.

If it's another gaas/looter shooter, I'll pass.

Bulletstorm was such a great game. Low budget, but lots of fun.

If this is as fun as bulletstorm, I'll be very happy.

If it's another gaas/looter shooter, I'll pass.
Remember being really hyped about Bulletstorm, because it was a new game from a creators of Painkiller (and also because it was Polish, I won't lie) and I really liked the idea of skillshots, but... after a few hours of playing, it just didn't click. I felt like there was too little variety in skillshots, so after a while I was just doing the same things over and over again. The problem was also that outside of skillshots, I felt like everything else regarding it's combat and the game as a whole was just unremarkable and even a step backward in comparison to Painkiller.

Because of that, I didn't finish it, even though it is a pretty short game. I wonder if after all this time, I would warm up more to it, but I had no motivation to try it since, so it's hard to tell.

Top Bottom