E3 2020 & Gamescom: Third Demo Suggestion

+
As much as I hate to say it, maybe they shouldn't have shown any gameplay till this year since now they might have to deal with the WIP dilemma.

It's the conundrum of marketing. Show too early, people complain of changes. Show too late, people complain you haven't showed them anything in too long.

Frankly, the issue is expectations. People want a lot, most of the time, now. You will never satisfy that unhappy 5%. 10%? Whatever percent. No matter what you show or how much. "Too much!" "Not enough!" "Too soon!" "Need more now!"

Trick is to see the picture outside of that demanding minority. CDPR seems happy with the marketing and feedback so far, so I'd guess the picture they see is working for their goals.

As for the tradeshows, they did receive quite a chunk of hype from them - frequently showed up in the gaming sites, big line ups with positive word of mouth, lots of intimate feedback.

Really, anything 2077 gets lots of hype. They aren't short of that.

@Mybrokenenglish CDPR doesn't need to "confirm" anything or "prove" anything. They need to make a great game if they want to have great sales. That's it. That's all of it. AAA or AA or BBB or whatever status you've decided their other games are has nothing to do with the driving standard behind -all- their games: quality. That's it. That's everything. And the game will do that, or not, when it comes out.

The rest is simply what you've decided they need to prove to you. Which the game will do, when it's out. And I'm sure you'll see lots and lots of marketing a month or two before launch, as you are now with Doom Eternal and will probably see soon for Last of Us 2.

Again, 2077 is not short of hype, preorders or expectations. At all. CDPR doesn't need more. Arguably, they need less.

Last edited:
CDPR doesn't need to "confirm" anything or "prove" anything. They need to make a great game if they want to have great sales. That's it. That's all of it. AAA or AA or BBB or whatever status you've decided their other games are has nothing to do with the driving standard behind -all- their games: quality. That's it. That's everything. And the game will do that, or not, when it comes out.

The rest is simply what you've decided they need to prove to you. Which the game will do, when it's out. And I'm sure you'll see lots and lots of marketing a month or two before launch, as you are now with Doom Eternal and will probably see soon for Last of Us 2.

Again, 2077 is not short of hype, preorders or expectations. At all. CDPR doesn't need more. Arguably, they need less.
My point was not "CDPR needs to prove me something", mine was an answer to yours whataboutism citing DOOM or TLOU2. It was not whataboutism? Fair enough, not really important. I just explained the difference in perception people can have between a new IP and sequels and the reasons behind it, in particular if the sequels come from companies which have done many games from the same genre (FPS for id software, story driven action adventures for ND) while the new IP comes from a company who has done 1 single open world game before. Therefore, in my humble opinion, the comparison is absolutely not applicable.

In terms of marketing, CDPR can do whatever the hell they want. How I, you, the other 7 billions people will receive it, it's only up to them. I've always gave huge value to feedback, so that's what I do but If that can be a subject for discussions here on the forum or not, it's theirs/yours/whoever's decision.

That being said, of course we may agree to disagree.

That being said, of course we may agree to disagree.

Of course. Such are the forums!

That said, I will say that although feedback is valuable, negative, non-constructive feedback like, "I think they should show me more" isn't really valuable at all. I, too, would like them to show me more. But that's not in the cards.

Feedback like, "The video we saw seemed kind of jump-edited and short to me" is more valuable, but then again, that feedback has been given many many times by now. "It's a new IP, show us more" is also more valuable, but that, too, has been said many times.

The same points being repeated 30 times over for the last year aren't very constructive criticism.

That said, I will say that although feedback is valuable, negative, non-constructive feedback like, "I think they should show me more" isn't really valuable at all. I, too, would like them to show me more. But that's not in the cards.

Is this what is being requested? There very well could be people asking to be shown more for the sake of being shown more. I do not think the more grounded requests are asking this at all though.

This is how I interpreted the comments by Bloodartist. Most game advertisement in the current times goes too far with the window dressing. Once upon a time you could be interested in an upcoming title and know exactly what it was you were looking at before it was released. The it's a work in progress, we don't want to spoil this, we can't talk about this now, etc. type commentary begins to feel more like a means to hide what it is you're looking at before it's released. At least it does once we're allegedly at the polishing phase.

Perhaps it's just the nature of the game now, so to speak.....

Do you mean Cyberpunk world of 2020 TT or Cyberpunk genre in general?
Shadowrun games are good cyberpunk games, also Cyberpunk 2020 and Shadowrun are same setting just in one you have magic add, but concept is same powerfull corporations rule the world and use shdaowrunners(not sure what is official term for players in Cyberpunk 2020) to wage a proxy wars against each other.

But yeah, "this is work in progress, it can change" is really old and at this point little stupid, it was ok in 2018 demo, but by now they really need to have everything in place and to know how things going to work.

Well, ive read 2020 wiki and I played Cyberpunk Pen and Paper when I was kid. It was so cool to find prostitution is middle class thing in Night City for example, that makes me instantly want to pre-order a game. Clubs like Metalstrom are also cool. Cyberpunk's roles are out of the box too.

Btw, Shadowrun reminds of me Dishonored Game Series.

Last edited:
It was so cool to find prostitution is middle class thing in Night City for example, that makes me instantly want to pre-order a game.

C'mon man. Really? It's not GTA.

And there was very very little about prostitution of any kind in the 2020 books. It's there, like every other vice, but for sure there's nothing about it being a middle-class thing. Nothing I ever saw. Got a quote? I don't even know how you'd define that, "a middle class thing."

Of all the things to be interested in Cyberpunk for...you know, this is why we close sex threads. They go into places like this.

Anyway, topic is E3 demo.

I think this year's E3 they should show gameplay demo to everyone, that going to be 3 months before game come out, it would be really stupid and little offensive to again show demo to just few selected youtubers and game journalists.

The same points being repeated 30 times over for the last year aren't very constructive criticism.

Maybe not, but then there's no point in being a regular on the forums.

There is not much to talk about that hasn't already been talked about at least 10 (maybe over 30) times.

CDPR, and the moderators, and the users, all must accept that topics will be rehashed, repeatedly, forever, until something new to talk about is provided.

That's not even a "they must do X to please me," it's just the facts. No new marketing or content for months on end? Yeah. Sorry. People are going to discuss the same crap again and again.

Personally, I very much want them to show more, and I think the past demo was poorly edited. Length doesn't bother me, all I care about is either good editing, or uncut gameplay. Either one is fine.

'Course, I do have a few hopes for the next demo. I'd like to see the city at night. The proper city. I'd like to see Techie gameplay. Uhm. I think that's about it, actually. Other minor things I won't bother asking for.

I think this year's E3 they should show gameplay demo to everyone, that going to be 3 months before game come out, it would be really stupid and little offensive to again show demo to just few selected youtubers and game journalists.

Actually CDPR has said they are "happy with pre-orders" already. Of course theres a risk they are luring us into thinking everything is fine, but I doubt. Im pretty sure they are killing it, they have been in top 20 of Steam since they put the pre-orders out. Bronze award in Steam also means they are close to 500k game sold, I actually believe its 500k for Bronze. Platinium is 3 mill+.

To show or not to show is doubled edged sword in game industry now, gamers more or less know what they like and dislike.

Last edited:
Maybe not, but then there's no point in being a regular on the forums.
Yet there are regulars who participate in discussions without bringing up the same points time after time.

I'm 100% with Sard on this one; there are many, many things and topics to discuss that don't involve bringing up old critiques from 2018. And yes, discussions not revolving around opinions and points that are either closer to two years old or just generally have been discussed to death are definitely more constructive.

I know I often see various, smaller details in interviews and other news that get overlooked and never discussed here because the same news also touches on some major topic. People are who create discussions on here, and if people only focus on certain aspects, then... well. :shrug:

----------

As for the topic itself, no preference. I won't mind if nothing new is shown; even E3 is only three months before release so there won't be long to go at that point, and Gamescom is less than a month before release.

As Snowflakez got it: My point was that not showing pre-launch content and keeping marketing to a minimum is a sign that developers have something to hide - that the product is faulty in some way and they try to hide that and cash in as much as possible on the initial launch sales which would drop sharply once people get wise to the faulty product. Being quiet on marketing front does not create confidence in users in my opinion. This was the gist of my previous post, and the basis of my "they should show more" message.

Me, I have zero experience on CDPR and so treat them as any other developer. I never got on the witcher train. Therefore I am not looking them from behind tinted glasses of fandom.

My point was that not showing pre-launch content and keeping marketing to a minimum is a sign that developers have something to hide

It's a sign the developers still have work to do on the project.. it's still an in-development one and as we've seen it's still some ways off from being done. Expect more closer to release.

Yet there are regulars who participate in discussions without bringing up the same points time after time.

I'm 100% with Sard on this one; there are many, many things and topics to discuss that don't involve bringing up old critiques from 2018. And yes, discussions not revolving around opinions and points that are either closer to two years old or just generally have been discussed to death are definitely more constructive.

I know I often see various, smaller details in interviews and other news that get overlooked and never discussed here because the same news also touches on some major topic. People are who create discussions on here, and if people only focus on certain aspects, then... well. :shrug:

----------

As for the topic itself, no preference. I won't mind if nothing new is shown; even E3 is only three months before release so there won't be long to go at that point, and Gamescom is less than a month before release.

I don't follow. How does this discredit my own point? Because there are some exceptions to a trend, the trend doesn't exist? I'm afraid, as usual, I completely disagree with Sard.

Of course topics will get re-hashed when there's no new media. I don't even see how that's debatable. It happens in every game forum, every game subreddit, every game message board and Facebook group on the planet. If it's been more than, say, 60 days without a piece of fresh news, people run out of a plethora of new things to talk about. I'm not even saying this is a good or bad thing. Would I prefer we get more information more frequently? Yes. But I understand that the delay in particular has messed with their marketing schedule quite a bit. So I'm not upset at all.

As for smaller details not getting discussed, I'm actually one of the people that loves discussing smaller details, but in my experience, if I pick up on a small thing that was said during an interview and try to talk about it here, people get pretty upset and start saying I'm making things up, or misinterpreting, etc... :shrug: Or it's just ignored outright, which is fine (my posts are long...)

(EDIT: BTW, this should go without saying, but no disrespect intended to you or Sard. We've all got our opinions. :) )

As Snowflakez got it: My point was that not showing pre-launch content and keeping marketing to a minimum is a sign that developers have something to hide - that the product is faulty in some way and they try to hide that and cash in as much as possible on the initial launch sales which would drop sharply once people get wise to the faulty product. Being quiet on marketing front does not create confidence in users in my opinion. This was the gist of my previous post, and the basis of my "they should show more" message.

Ive seen it happening in game industry many time. If they hide it means sometimes bad launch. But then again launch isnt everything in game industry, this game keeps selling after launch too. Witcher 3 didnt sell much at launch, but now they are at 20 mill, what no doubt helps with Wticher 4 sales, Witcher brand is much larger now. Thats why sequel strategy is arguably the best plan for devs.

Last edited:
topics will be rehashed, repeatedly

Especially topics that are considered - by certain audience - pretty crucial to the experience the game is set out to offer, but which do not ever get any *real* responses (because no-one, who gets to ask questions, asks about them).

Last edited:
Especially topics that are considered - by certain audience - pretty crucial to the experience the game is set out to offer, but which do not ever get any *real* responses (because no-one who gets to ask questions does not ask about them).
Also, Latins said "repetita iuvant".

"Usually said as a jocular remark to defend the speaker's (or writer's) choice to repeat some important piece of information to ensure reception by the audience."

Top Bottom