Dynamic factions: Gangs and factions gaining and losing territory and power over the course of the game

+
hated that pick only 1 side that NV and fallout 4 ramrodded you into just to ANNOY, for the longevity of the game but FFS Just let me play without having to pick a side so I can do MAXIMUM questing, It is a pain in the rear end to play it over and over again just to end up HAVING to pick a side I don't wanna RESTART FROM THE BEGINNING, Yeah No f#ck that!
I don't think Vattier's quote means that choosing to work with one faction or another wont have consequences, the consequence will just be choice based instead of reputation based. For instance, I don't any potential survivors of netwatch will want to work with V after he helps kill a bunch of their agents while working with the voodoo boys in the 2019 demo. Whether they're all dead or just some of them, I doubt any of their potential follow up quests will be available to V. Keep in mind that CDPR was the company that had a game with an entirely different Act II in the Witcher 2, depending on player choices.

GTA San Andreas has one the best factions integration into in-game open world deeply tied into both gameplay and lore. Simple yet effective. You won't join to any of them but they "live" on marked districts and mess with you if you ride into the wrong hood. Including vehicular combat. Yet no one stops you from expelling gangbangers from that hood.

The gangs in Night City have existed for years, and (most of) those detailed in the source material are large enough you'd never be able to eliminate them. You're an edgerunner not a superhero/villain or a one (wo)man police department.

I take extreme pleasure in looking forward to hearing players whine they can't kill everyone in the city because the (NPC) authorities, or just this or that gang stopped them dead, with emphasis on the dead.

I take extreme pleasure in looking forward to hearing players whine they can't kill everyone in the city because the (NPC) authorities, or just this or that gang stopped them dead, with emphasis on the dead.
It's only an example from one game that allows taking over the territory and participate in gang wars. Of course it doesn't apply in Cyberpunk.
BTW, ballas in SA are not getting suddenly eliminated either. Or any major fraction in FNV. And I don't remember whining about this. Nor there will be any regarding Cyberpunk 2077.

I don't think Vattier's quote means that choosing to work with one faction or another wont have consequences, the consequence will just be choice based instead of reputation based. For instance, I don't any potential survivors of netwatch will want to work with V after he helps kill a bunch of their agents while working with the voodoo boys in the 2019 demo. Whether they're all dead or just some of them, I doubt any of their potential follow up quests will be available to V. Keep in mind that CDPR was the company that had a game with an entirely different Act II in the Witcher 2, depending on player choices.

I find it difficult to believe that if I would work for gang A, and kill the leader of gang B, that gang B wouldn't hold it against me in some way..

Or would gang B offer me same missions they normally do, regardless? >_>

I find it difficult to believe that if I would work for gang A, and kill the leader of gang B, that gang B wouldn't hold it against me in some way..
I'm sure they will. But it will be based on the choice, not a reputation meter with the faction.

I'm sure they will. But it will be based on the choice, not a reputation meter with the faction.

^This.

You'll still have a reputation with the different 'factions' but there won't be a rep counter or "metric", only what your choices bring you, or don't.

Are you sure that Solo V isn't just that from the gameplay footage we saw?
It seemed about John Wick level of killing ability/survivability far from C2020 standards.
I have to agree.
But remember, they've turned the RPG into an FPS action game so they couldn't possibly use CP2020 lethality.

I have to agree.
But remember, they've turned the RPG into an FPS action game so they couldn't possibly use CP2020 lethality.

Yep, but that also affect ingame lethality logic, meaning it wouldn't be illogic for V to consider himself/herself strong enough to eliminate a gang all by himself.

You roleplay what you see, unless you are playing in a J-RPG where resurrection items only works during combats.

While this idea (in the classic dynamic or conquering way) might be unlikely like some others (e. g. portions of my Cyber cop idea), we always have to keep in mind or hope for something specific:

Modding.

Of course we shouldn't perhaps (immediately) expect modding friendliness to the likes of Rimworld, Fallout, Skyrim/TES, but depending on the resources and time they decide to invest later on or maybe in the next game, we will be able to further tweak mechanics to our collective liking.

And thus get more or the most out of these pieces of work and art.

Just imagine all the additional content of such mechanics and the joy.

But we will see. Either way we can look forward to a loving believable world, I reckon. One that sufficiently represents the power struggles even without mods.

Games like Fallout and Skyrim are MADE with modding in mind.
CP2077 is (probably) not.
Sure, a certain amount is possible, after all people are smart and creative (the modding/hacking community constantly
amazes me, and I'm a programmer!). But there's a HUGE difference between tweaking colors in graphics or over-riding this or that and being able to tweak and adjust in-game stats and calculations.

wait..Fallout new vegas had faction? Gad..all I remember is getting shot in the face, chasing an idiot..then when the big reveal happen..I was so bored by then, I just quit XD

well Assassin creed Odyssey, has those kind of 'gang thing' , Athen vs Sparta. And they do get super grindy, repetetive and exhausting (unless you are dying for the loot) .

Personally, I don't care . As long as it aint forced on me. I'm there to have fun, drink, shoot, get chromed and follow tha story :p

To be honest i am honestly shocked people thinks is not possible to make a dynamic faction system and avoid to sacrifice the story.

Fallout new vegas did this amazingly well factions were interactive both in gameplay and in narrative. What i read in Vattier comments is basically:
You accept a work for A and you know C and B are at it as well.
You will either have the possibility to conclude the work of A despite of C and B or side with C and B and get A maddening at you.
YOu could even side with C only and have B and A hating you.

If is restricted only in to narrative i will be disappointed. For narrative only i read books and i do watch movies. RPGS are not movies.

I could totally see CDPR implement a system like this for 'Cyberpunk (2077) Multiplayer' and could even add Corpos, too.

Top Bottom