Now reading [books]

+
I looove the original Dune.
So far my only "problem" with it is that there are a few names that keep popping up and that always remind me of something, or someone, entirely different. It's distracting. Other than that, an excellent story and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

I noticed it has a lot of sequels when I was, in vain, trying to find the first part of the series in the library. It wasn't on its shelf, no matter how hard I looked. It was, as a library assistant whom we had to call for help noticed, on top of the shelf; it'd been too big to fit on the shelf itself.

So far my only "problem" with it is that there are a few names that keep popping up and that always remind me of something, or someone, entirely different. It's distracting. Other than that, an excellent story and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

I noticed it has a lot of sequels when I was, in vain, trying to find the first part of the series in the library. It wasn't on its shelf, no matter how hard I looked. It was, as a library assistant whom we had to call for help noticed, on top of the shelf; it'd been too big to fit on the shelf itself.
I've read Dune many times as it's my favourite novel. There are only 5 sequels by Frank Herbert. The rest by those other two are pure drivel and should be avoided.

There are only 5 sequels by Frank Herbert. The rest by those other two are pure drivel and should be avoided.
I'll keep that in mind. Most, if not all, of the sequels I saw and whose names I remember were not by Herbert.
Whether the library even has a complete collection of novels that are in English is a question mark.

And on that note, @SigilFey, I also saw two Wheel of Time tomes on the shelf. Massive compared to the Finnish versions that are just one book each.
Perhaps I should look into finding all parts in English... the library, or rather libraries, might actually have them.

I've read Dune many times as it's my favourite novel. There are only 5 sequels by Frank Herbert. The rest by those other two are pure drivel and should be avoided.

May I ask why? I've read some of those, written by Herbert's son, and I quite enjoyed them.

I'll keep that in mind. Most, if not all, of the sequels I saw and whose names I remember were not by Herbert.
Whether the library even has a complete collection of novels that are in English is a question mark.

And on that note, @SigilFey, I also saw two Wheel of Time tomes on the shelf. Massive compared to the Finnish versions that are just one book each.
Perhaps I should look into finding all parts in English... the library, or rather libraries, might actually have them.

The original books by Frank Herbert:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

Personally I'm currently waiting on the mailman delivering the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov to the local Mail Pickup Point. Yes, I prefer buying my books, libraries here in Denmark are mostly not as good any more as when I were a young, it's also much faster to find my books online though it lacks the atmosphere.

Last edited:
The original books by Frank Herbert
I think I saw one or two of those, not sure though. But the local libraries have a super handy online service that'll show that and more.

libraries here in Denmark are mostly not as good any more as when I were a young
That's a shame. Libraries can be a real treasure trove and their very function is wonderful. I mean, thousands and thousands of books, magazines, and more to read, free of charge (unless that varies between countries, I don't know).
It's the opposite here in Finland; technology like that online service I mentioned has made things smoother and more convenient.
(Which doesn't mean I don't like buying books, because I do. Especially English ones because those are a lot harder to come by.)

May I ask why? I've read some of those, written by Herbert's son, and I quite enjoyed them.
Bobo and the Hack inserted and twisted points that run contradictory to Frank's own words. The writing is puerile and there are plot holes you could run a Guild Heighliner through. It's the worst sort of fanfic. If you like them, that's fine, but I would never recommend them to anyone.

Bobo and the Hack inserted and twisted points that run contradictory to Frank's own words. The writing is puerile and there are plot holes you could run a Guild Heighliner through. It's the worst sort of fanfic. If you like them, that's fine, but I would never recommend them to anyone.

Examples, please?` I've read those years ago and I don't remember anything like that.

Staring at a screen right before going to sleep is a great way to not get the best quality sleep. It's even been scientifically proven.
I know that for me reading a physical book right before going to sleep has a clear, positive effect on how well I sleep.

Staring at a screen right before going to sleep is a great way to not get the best quality sleep. It's even been scientifically proven.
I know that for me reading a physical book right before going to sleep has a clear, positive effect on how well I sleep.

It's not a screen. It's a e-ink display. Has about the same influence on sleep as a paper book.

I would highly recommend reading it in (native) English, as a lot of what he does is cleverly worded to draw parallels to fairy tales, folklore, mythology, etc., and I'd worry a lot of that would be lost if translated to another language.

On Dune's names and stuff, yeah -- Herbert was pretty heavily basing a lot of his universe on Arabic culture and language. They're not always a 1:1 translation, but you can take any such words and names and figure out both how to pronounce them and what they mean. Like:

Lisan al-Gaib: "the speaker from far away"
Bene Gesserit: (very metaphorically) "fallen from the island"...or (more accurately) "those descended from a place of isolation"
Arrakis: (seems to be a mix of arba = "four" and raqs = "dancer" so: ) "fourth dancer". If we count Canopus, the star, as the first dancer, the third planet in the system, Arrakis, would be the fourth astral body (dancer) in the system.
Sardaukar: "ones who lead the work"

It's all pretty clever. I really liked it.

I would highly recommend reading it in (native) English, as a lot of what he does is cleverly worded to draw parallels to fairy tales, folklore, mythology, etc., and I'd worry a lot of that would be lost if translated to another language.
But as I don't really know fairytales, folklore, or myths, at least not in English, I shouldn't miss out on much by reading the books in Finnish. :D

Maybe I'll continue with the series after I finish Dune. If I can remember what part is the last I read... it's been months.

Top Bottom