Legends of Runeterra (Amazing new card game)

+
I'm not sure if a mulligan every round is a good idea. I think it would lead to the same issues I have with Gwent where decks are so consistent that the game plays out too much the same and people can get their combo's off virtually every game.

Regardless if you haven't noticed yet there is a ton of decision making which means a ton of skill in this game regardless of the draw RNG.
I've had a few games now where I kept drawing useless cards: not having enough mana or not being able to spend (all) mana (in a good way). Losing like that feels horrible. I think a mulligan for each card draw won't hurt with 40 cards in a deck exactly because, like you said, there are so much different decision making and combo's possible (including counters). Not with Gwent.

I've had a few games now where I kept drawing useless cards: not having enough mana or not being able to spend (all) mana (in a good way). Losing like that feels horrible. I think a mulligan for each card draw won't hurt with 40 cards in a deck exactly because, like you said, there are so much different decision making and combo's possible (including counters). Not with Gwent.

Well when you are just starting out, the draw RNG is pretty noticeable because they give you like 1 or 2 copies of each card in a starter deck. After a week you should be able to replace everything you want, so you can have 3 copies of each card. You'll really only have 13-15 unique cards total and the draw RNG will be lessened. I don't think there are any tutors in the starter decks but you can add them aswell. Cards that draw you a champion, 5+ power unit, or draws you 3 cards. They help a lot with consistency.

I've had a few games now where I kept drawing useless cards: not having enough mana or not being able to spend (all) mana (in a good way). Losing like that feels horrible.

Welcome to CCGs. It's even worse in MtG because you have lands mixed into your draw, leading to mana screw/flood. It's actually better in Runeterra (compared to HS) because of the mana reserve, usually leading to less wasted mana. Anyhow, on average, you shouldn't lose that often because of bad draws. I do have seen my share of those, unfortunately. Sometimes, it is a deck building issue, though, when you are trying to get the perfect curve.

Well when you are just starting out, the draw RNG is pretty noticeable because they give you like 1 or 2 copies of each card in a starter deck. After a week you should be able to replace everything you want, so you can have 3 copies of each card. You'll really only have 13-15 unique cards total and the draw RNG will be lessened. I don't think there are any tutors in the starter decks but you can add them aswell. Cards that draw you a champion, 5+ power unit, or draws you 3 cards. They help a lot with consistency.
That's probably it. :beer:

On another note, what's up with those Elusives? They start to annoy me in a similar way as artifacts. :disapprove:

On another note, what's up with those Elusives? They start to annoy me in a similar way as artifacts. :disapprove:

I think Elusives shouldn't be able to be buffed. If they have just 1 elusive and keep buffing it, you'll get wrecked if you have no way of countering it.
I found a great combo I really love to counter elusives (and other things). I play the Possession card on their elusive. Then I play Chronicler on it and it becomes mine permanently, and then I can use it to counter other elusives.

That's not the most scariest (common) deck that will wreck you (well, depending on your own deck).

Try one of the Bannermen decks, e.g.: https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bpq0sqtp8n7f47g8esgg

hah I can't believe we're posting Swim decks for LoR and not Gwent. It feels surreal. No matter what game he's in, his decks always get the most attention.

Elusives are strong but definitely not as badly designed as artifacts.
True, there are more and different counters against Elusives than the single binary artifact removal in Gwent. The best counter being your opponent having to sacrifice them as blockers. :beer:

At 7 and above mana, some cards are quite broken. Then it becomes a gamble of who draws the first broken card. It would be nice if these cards were strong but not broken so that the strategic game can continue more often instead of an abrupt broken ending.

Last edited:
True, there are more and different counters against Elusives than the single binary artifact removal in Gwent. The best counter being your opponent having to sacrifice them as blockers. :beer:

At 7 and above mana, some cards are quite broken. Then it becomes a gamble of who draws the first broken card. It would be nice if these cards were strong but not broken so that the strategic game can continue more often instead of an abrupt broken ending.

This game seems to have more of an "If everything is broken then nothing is broken" sort of approach. That of course isn't completely true but I think you get my point. Plenty of stuff looks OP that I can talk about for instance that Anivia champion is pretty ridiculous. At least there are lots of different fun and powerful options to choose from as opposed to stuff all feeling weak and boring.

This game seems to have more of an "If everything is broken then nothing is broken" sort of approach. That of course isn't completely true but I think you get my point. Plenty of stuff looks OP that I can talk about for instance that Anivia champion is pretty ridiculous. At least there are lots of different fun and powerful options to choose from as opposed to stuff all feeling weak and boring.

But if everything is broken, your benchmark is wrong. Runeterra, like every CCG except Gwent, has the concept of tempo. At the start of the match, you play your cheap cards and, near the end, you play your powerful cards. Those late game cards can especially be devastating. Why this is okay, in theory, is because every deck has access to these cards. However, not every deck wants to use them. Aggro decks, for example, go for early wins. And Anivia decks, which only becomes threatening at turn 10, might not even survive long enough to see Anivia level up (same with Karma). Anyhow, you are correct that because these cards exist, matches can become exhilarating.

I'm 36. I don't see any problems with the artwork.

And that is young compared to me :LOL: . Don't understand me wrong, I have no problem that other people like this kind of artwork. My problem is more that I like gaming, but it's hard for me to find any game that I like to look at.

Another random thing of note is how certain cards respond to each other when you play them, which is a nice little touch. What's more is that this also applies when your opponent has a card (usually a hero) and you play another card. These "versus" voice lines are different and reveal a bit of history between the characters. That or Draven commenting on Teemo, which is probably one of the most hilarious voice lines. All in all, nice flavor. Incidentally, I also remember someone suggesting the same thing for Gwent.

After having played LoR a lot the last few days, it's clear that there are quite a few broken or simply unfun mechanics and combos. The game has huge potential, but needs a lot of balancing. The worst part is (as always) the players copying broken decks so that any fun you're trying to have with your original or starter deck is quickly getting ruined even in non-ranked.

After having played LoR a lot the last few days, it's clear that there are quite a few broken or simply unfun mechanics and combos.

It's not as bad as some other games because there is always a clear counter to those kind of decks. Even then, some decks do get too much value too easily, primarily the Bannermen decks. Regardless, I have been playing the game since open beta and the variety of decks being played is quite high; higher than (most) other CCG.

Another random thing of note is how certain cards respond to each other when you play them, which is a nice little touch. What's more is that this also applies when your opponent has a card (usually a hero) and you play another card. These "versus" voice lines are different and reveal a bit of history between the characters. That or Draven commenting on Teemo, which is probably one of the most hilarious voice lines. All in all, nice flavor. Incidentally, I also remember someone suggesting the same thing for Gwent.

I used to hope that they would do that for Gwent which is unfortunate. It's so cool that LoR already has this feature in beta. The cards talking to one another is so interesting and cool. Some of my favorites involve Jinx saying stuff to the other champions. One of them screams FOR DEMACIA!!!, and Jinx very mockingly responds "forr demmaacciaaa"......lol.
Post automatically merged:

After having played LoR a lot the last few days, it's clear that there are quite a few broken or simply unfun mechanics and combos. The game has huge potential, but needs a lot of balancing.

I don't really agree. You most likely are suffering from not having enough cards to really complete and experiment with good decks.

Stuff in later rounds can become crazy powerful however it's not like there are only a few things that can do that. There are lots and lots of them which in the end makes the game fair and relatively balanced. I play LoR every day and the variety of good decks is very high. Much higher than I ever saw with Gwent.

Now some stuff being unfun to play against I'm not surprised about. There are things I don't really enjoy playing against as well. I don't really want huge balancing updates in this game. I like very focused and thoughtful balancing where it's needed. I saw an insane amount of balancing updates in Gwent and the game never got better. All they did was make the game much less interesting and downright boring in my eyes. I'm done with damage an enemy by 2 or boost by 2 awful bronze cards.

Last edited:
I think LoR only has about 300 cards right now total. Let the sink in for a minute. With 300 cards they made a game with pretty mind blowing variety.

I honestly feel there's about x4 more possible LoR archetypes/decks than in Gwent. Gwent has like over 600 cards too! The problem is that all of Gwent's cards are the same. The cards are all copy/pasted 5-6 times in each faction to artificially inflate the total amount of cards. They all just play for points with boost/damage and removal too. Gwent didn't always used to be like that though. There used to be so many different mechanics that weren't point based, like Reveal or Swap. We had so many carryover mechanics. It's so sad that Gwent is so bland now, but this is the direction CDPR took when shifting towards mobile audience.

I'm just so glad i found a card game that encourages variety and strategy. I would have died of boredom waiting for Gwent to improve.

^
Probably because it's easier to incentivize card purchases by throwing cards around in bulk and playing round robin strong/OP vs weak/non-played cards/factions of the month with knee-jerk nerfs/buffs and simple +/- adjustments.

You don't need a large card pool to deliver relatively balanced dynamic game play featuring healthy variety. The reason one or more of these areas fall short is due to lack of ability and/or desire.

It's the same reason for things like power creep. Even though certain individuals pretend it isn't a self-inflicted or by design phenomenon.

There is a reason I stopped playing Gwent. It went from a rough outline of a competitive CCG in need of refinement as a beta version to a misconstrued, simplified "full release", misleading marketing and all, and finally ended up as another shitty mobile cash grab. Full disclosure, this is my attempt at putting it politely :). Perhaps I'll check out LoR.

I don't really agree. You most likely are suffering from not having enough cards to really complete and experiment with good decks.

Stuff in later rounds can become crazy powerful however it's not like there are only a few things that can do that. There are lots and lots of them which in the end makes the game fair and relatively balanced. I play LoR every day and the variety of good decks is very high. Much higher than I ever saw with Gwent.

Now some stuff being unfun to play against I'm not surprised about. There are things I don't really enjoy playing against as well. I don't really want huge balancing updates in this game. I like very focused and thoughtful balancing where it's needed. I saw an insane amount of balancing updates in Gwent and the game never got better. All they did was make the game much less interesting and downright boring in my eyes. I'm done with damage an enemy by 2 or boost by 2 awful bronze cards.
I guess my main gripe is with some decks that basically deny you playing the game by using stun, deny, recall and Elusives each and every turn. I saw a few of these in a row. Even if I had more cards, there was nothing to do against it. Lame stuff. Looking at some streams, I see much more variation in decks so maybe I just got unlucky with match-ups.

I agree that there shouldn't be huge balancing changes (like killing the Witcher trio), but a lot of thoughtful changes to many cards. Especially Ionia needs this I think.

I honestly feel there's about x4 more possible LoR archetypes/decks than in Gwent. Gwent has like over 600 cards too! The problem is that all of Gwent's cards are the same. The cards are all copy/pasted 5-6 times in each faction to artificially inflate the total amount of cards. They all just play for points with boost/damage and removal too. Gwent didn't always used to be like that though. There used to be so many different mechanics that weren't point based, like Reveal or Swap. We had so many carryover mechanics. It's so sad that Gwent is so bland now, but this is the direction CDPR took when shifting towards mobile audience.
Gwent is advertised as a battle between armies. In Gwent you need to get most points, but the problem is that a battle is not needed to get most points. In LoR your units need to fight together to destroy the enemy Nexus. That makes LoR much more of a battle than Gwent, and much more tactical with the round, mana and spell system and many different unit abilities.

I guess my main gripe is with some decks that basically deny you playing the game by using stun, deny, recall and Elusives each and every turn. I saw a few of these in a row.

I feel it is sometimes a little bothersome that some decks have hard counters, where the game is in 80% of the cases decided already at the start. Anyway, as the games are short I just play a different deck if I face permanently the same deck type.

Espacially in gold rank I faced a lot of elusives, which was the reason I switched to a lucian / zed combination without any elusive units. Primary goal is to win within the first 6 rounds. As elusive lacks attack damage at the beginning it`s just free wins and pushed me easily to platin within a week. On the contrary most control decks defeat me and force me to go all in within the first rounds.

I Guess for the next step to diamond I try control decks myself. :beer:

Overall I like the game a lot as it is fast paced and allows to experiment a lot and loses don`t bother me much.
Currently I mostly enjoy expedition allowing to quickly gain cards and set up completely ridiculos combinations.

The only thing I which let`s me play sometimes Gwent Seasonal is the art work (e.g. card, card backs, battle fields, ...).
I simply like the style a lot :). Sadly I have to stop after 2 or 3 games as Gwent balancing is messed up, as usual; btw. sry. if NG players never get GG from me, the faction simply is incredible bad designed ;).

Top Bottom