Purchase of digital when dlcs work with disc

+
Hi All,
I'm currently playing a region ALL scea disc, and purchased and used dlcs including b&w and hearts of stone, no issues.
Want to make use of the summer sale and shift the gameplay to digital to avoid disc swapping all the time.
My question is, will the game saves work, given that the dlcs worked?

PS. Apologies if this query had been done like this before, I couldn't find an exact confirmation

Due to limitations on the way that the marketplace works, the standard version of the game + DLCs is a different product than the GOTY Edition. While the data and content is inherently identical between the two, the PS4 will not look at them as the same game.

Therefore, I don't believe that saved games will work between the two versions.

Yeah, save games won't work. For the GOTY version you'll have to start from the beginning.

May have missed this bit in my initial post, not looking at getting the GOTY edition, just the digital full game (and play with dlcs already purchased from the same market place), which is the same disc that I have, or did you mean that all digital flavors of the game won't work with the saves?

If it's the same version of the game, just digital instead of disc version it should be fine.

Just did a bit more digging, the region id on my disc says cusa00527L which means Latin American but also includes North America.
Post automatically merged:

So I've bought the digital version. Will try this out in a couple of weeks and post results here for others.

Last edited:
Right, guys confirming what the mods here suggested. Posting here as evidence for when someone else comes looking.

The game saves worked flawlessly for me. I got the base game from the PSN Store and this game version matches my physical disc.

1. I took backups of my saves (and the PS4 for good measure)
2. Deleted the Witcher 3 game from my PS4 (saves persist)
3. Downloaded and installed the base game from the store, plus all DLCs

The game saw the saves immediately.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Have over 800 hrs on a disc copy of ps4 w3 and all dlcs disc was broken (dont ask!!!!!) bought digital copy in sale . Does not recognize save file from hard copy!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure the save games are still stored on your console?

You can also reach out to cdpr support, here:

I've played GOTY version on my PS4 from disc which comes from Germany. For now, I bought a digital version of GOTY edition from Turkey PS Store. And, I can't access my old saves. What should I do? I want to play NG+.

I've played GOTY version on my PS4 from disc which comes from Germany. For now, I bought a digital version of GOTY edition from Turkey PS Store. And, I can't access my old saves. What should I do? I want to play NG+.

The two versions of the game are different products for purposes of keeping track of each on the marketplace. The way the console OS works, it will not view them as the same game, so save files will not be shared between them.

You can still start NG+ with your old save file under the Standard Edition. This will not include any of the GOTY content, unfortunately.

Or, you'll need to play through the game from Level 1 using the GOTY edition, then start an NG+ run after that.

The two versions of the game are different products for purposes of keeping track of each on the marketplace. The way the console OS works, it will not view them as the same game, so save files will not be shared between them.

You can still start NG+ with your old save file under the Standard Edition. This will not include any of the GOTY content, unfortunately.

Or, you'll need to play through the game from Level 1 using the GOTY edition, then start an NG+ run after that.
Unfortunately, I don't have the disc now, just digital version. So, I can't access my old save files. Is it? Or, I have to buy standart edition and I can use my old GOTY version progress. Also, I don't understand why the digital version and disc version of the GOTY edition are different products.

Unfortunately, I don't have the disc now, just digital version. So, I can't access my old save files. Is it? Or, I have to buy standart edition and I can use my old GOTY version progress. Also, I don't understand why the digital version and disc version of the GOTY edition are different products.

Correct, you cannot play the old saves without your old installation / disk.

Why:

Let's say I release a game. We'll call it "product 123". I release an expansion. Let's call that "product 4 for version 123". I release a second expansion. Call that "product 5 for version 123". So, as is, I need to buy 123, then 4 and/or 5.

Now, I release a GOTY edition, which is a standalone, combined package of 123+4+5 in one download. Call this package 456. While, to a human brain, this seems logical, a computer cannot "think". So, to ensure the marketplace can differentiate buying the GOTY edition from buying the Standard Edition+DLC 1+DLC 2...it will differentiate the two purchases as two completely, different products.

On PC, this is no big issue, as PC marketplaces allow for modification / manipulation of files, etc. On the much more rigorous console / mobile marketplaces, they do not not allow such manipulation of files, as they run security checks to avoid any form of tampering / malware / viruses whenever a program is launched. So 123+4+5 will be identified as a totally separate product from 456. They will also need to be supported completely separately from each other. So, if I release a patch for 123+4+5...I must recompile and re-release a completely separate patch for 456. It hurts both ways (as studios regularly need to pay tens of thousands of dollars to release new patches / DLC content for every individual product every time they want to release anything. This is also why support for older versions of products are discontinued.)

Hence, CDPR has gone to rather great lengths to ensure that support for players that have Standard Edition+DLC are being followed up with the updates that people playing the GOTY Edition enjoy. But nothing can change the fact that the marketplace / console OS will view them as completely separate products. (It's basically for security purposes. Which is one of the things that facilitates consoles' ease-of-use.)

In the end, it's six of one...half a dozen of another.

Top Bottom